Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 04:37 PM   #76  

Height: 5'3"

From 100 Days of Weight Loss by Linda Spangle (paraphrased by me)
Half-Off Special - take 1/2 what you usually eat or what you want. If you don't feel satisfied, save the rest for 2 hours and then decide if you still need it. Start by doing this with at least 5 foods.

Decide you will not go back for seconds...ever. Even at a buffet take food once only. If you go back for seconds you are probably just hooked on the taste of the food rather than needing fuel (another novel concept!)

Don't worry if it's a medium or large pizza, just set a limit on the slices. If you're really still hungry after eating your designated amount, reach for a salad or a few raw vegetables.

Learn to recognize whether it's your body or your head that still wants food.

Days 11-20 complete. Don't stop now. If you're struggling, push yourself to finish just one more day. You'll immediately be another day closer to achieving your weight-loss goals. JUST DO ONE MORE DAY!

From If I'm So Smart, Why Can't I Lose Weight? by Brooke Castille (paraphrased by me)

Belief Tool#2
We have many illogical beliefs that drive us.

A belief gives us a certainty about what things mean and who we are. If you want to know what your beliefs are..look at your life. Your life is your beliefs manifested. What we believe encompasses what we do, what we say, and how we react.

Anything you want to change in your life must be changed from the belief level if you want the change to be permanent. You cannot just treat the symptom, you must dig deep and get to the belief that caused you to get there in the first place.

As children we tend to blame ourselves for everything because we don't understand the complexities of other people's lives and experiences. We internalize the blame for our negative circumstances ..like our parents fighting for instance...because the alternative of being completely out of control is unthinkable. We think if we were better things would be different. At least we feel like there is something we can do about it. We search for ways to cope and survive by trying to generalize what everything means. We take two unrelated things...like our behavior and our parents' marriage...and connect them. When they later divorce we may internalize that and believe we weren't good enough to keep them together.

The bad news is that many of us still have beliefs that developed when we were too young to know any better. So as adults we have to go in and find all these illogical beliefs and evaluate them with new eyes. Just because a belief seems illogical doesn't mean we still don't believe it.

Example: When you have a negative feeling, like perhaps you are anxious about a man not calling you ..you evaluate it to see what is really going on deeper. Sit with it and you may find it is really fear. Going deeper you may realize you are afraid of rejection. Going deeper you realize you are afraid of rejection because you think you are not worthy. BINGO! Crappy belief system found! Maybe it was because you didn't get much love from your father as a child..so you started thinking you were not worth of love. Here you are 40 years later still believing it! Is it logical? No, but on some level you believe it to be true and it is causing you have anxiety about him calling.

Imagine you didn't have this belief. Imgine you knew you were worthy of wondrous love. Imagine you felt great about yourself. Now imagine that you come home to no call. You wouldn't jump to the conclusion that he has rejected you. If for some reason he did reject you, You'd just simply see that he was not the man for you. You would be able to look at it from a place of security and calmness because you are worthy and you would know that you deserve love and that it is just going to be from yourself until the right man comes along.

Can you see how connected all this is to overeating and your weight? In the first belief you might feel anxiety and overeat. You might even eat enough to gain weight. You then use the weight gain and the fact that you cannot fit into your clothes as further proff that you are not worthy of a loving relationship. With a lot of further weight you might attract fewer suitors.. then further prove your believe systems to yourself. But it doesn't make it true!! It just means your belief system is being well fed, instead of evaluated and starved of proof.

So to review:
1. Acknowldge and feel the feeling
2. Follow where it leads. When you get to the belief pay attention to it no matter how illogical it may seem to you as an adult. See how it has manipulated you and get busy changing it to something true.

We believe our circumstandes are proof that our belief is true, when it may be the belief that is manifesting our circumstances.

Me - I realize the illustration may not apply to many of us here but I think you can see how the same thing can happen from any deeply rooted negative belief.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:08 PM   #77  

S/C/G: 279/223/132

Height: 5'1"

HI GG's!

I want to thank all of you for your support over my son. We are all better today. Those " bad" days are actually not that often anymore , I think when it hits out of the blue that makes it harder. For those that asked : DSK stands for darling son kevin and DSJ stands for darling son JOhn. I have to LOL AT GH. it stands for General Hospital, my soap. I forget you'd have to be a fan to know that. Been addicted to it since I was 15!
I'm still on track food wise, even did much better on the 4th than I'd allowed myself to be. Today I began my 100Day Challenge from the same book. perfect timing, no events or holidays till Oct 14th. MY 100th day will be Oct. 13Th. The 14th is DSK's Bday and we are planning on celebrating my 100 days and his Bday together.

Mary: I was worried about fire from fireworks in my dry woods neighborhood. We recently had to lower our insurance for lower rate and now I worry more.

Deeleehanks for your suggestions, I'll look for a support group for family members-DS refuses to admit problem let alone go to group. He has been in & out of mental health support of all types from the army to local mental health. He just won't stay. The army would pay for most if he'd just go. My DSK gets lots of help for PTS from Iraq war and does every thing he can to help himself-he tries to help DSJ-it's a no go and there you are.
I'm so sorry to hear about your hubby, my prayers are with Y'all.

Gayle: " Lately the desire to feel better is sometimes winning out over wanting to munch" SO TRUE Isn't it just great!

Carol Sue: Maybe I'll just take day off from compture on the 9th. Don't want to take chances with my new computer.

Cajun: Sounds like a perfect 4th to me. Thanks for the prayers they really helped.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:31 PM   #78  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Hi Goldens.

I am home from endoscopy and I am ok - just really tired. Thanks for the good wishes.

Ginger, glad that things are better. Have you ever been involved with NAMI? National Alliance for the Mentally Ill? They have good info and support.

Mary, do you think the acid reflux caused your symptoms?

Cajun, sounds like you had a perfect day!

Bobbi, I think your dr is full of baloney. My grandparents lived to a very old age without any formal exercise. They just stayed active and worked all the time. Perhaps when you move into town, you will have to get a structured program - but not now. Also, can't you get rid of a realtor who isn't living up to his end of the contract? Tell him you want out or you will report him to the real estate board. I bet he lets you move on...

Gayle, my friend has the same trouble with some scents. We have realized that it is the chemicals that make perfume last longer.... When I travel to tourneys with her, I use natural botanical sprays and it doesn't bother her. I hope the people around you become more courteous.

Freda, good luck on Monday. I guess the procedure was easy enough that I will go ahead and get that colonoscopy this fall. Like mammograms, annoying but necessary.

Karen, when duffus drives by on his bike, place your thumb and index finger at your eye level with a little tiny gap in between them. Practice squishing his little pinhead as he drives by.....

Lynn, stop by when you can. Sorry that I have been derailed from the walking challenge.

Dee, sending good wishes your way as dh starts his treatment. I think Freda's suggestions for books on tape are wonderful.

Donna, did you get GM's insurance maze figured out? I hope so.

Well, my brain isn't functioning well so I am going to go rest. Sorry for those I missed.

Rie
Old 07-05-2012, 05:53 PM   #79  
Empress/Queen

Just flyin' by to say hi! Had a sort of disordered day as we DID have fireworks in the area last night and my dog and cat went bonkers and kept me up most of the night. So all I did today was buy another bougainvillea and plant it. I am trying to revive a bogey hedge I had that someone ruined.

Have a great weekend, all.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:57 PM   #80  

Yes Rie, I think it was the hernia and the resulting GERD. I'm still having heart burn today but not the sob or chest pain. My hernia is very large just like my last one and who knows maybe my intestines are up on my lung again. I may go in and have them check it again to see how things are now. The trouble is until they actually adhere to the lung tissue (as they did before), they can float up and down and so there is no certainty they would be up there when they x-ray. When I had my gall bladder surgery, (maybe 5years ago?) they said my stomach and the tail of my pancreas was in my chest. They said it will be a very big surgery and recommended a guy in Portland to do it. I really hate the thought of another surgery so wanted to put it off as long as possible and hopefully forever but it may not be possible.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:38 PM   #81  
Empress/Queen

Maryea, hope you are going to be okay. I missed reading that you were not feeling well when I was here earlier. Be well. Get it checked. Hugs.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:03 PM   #82  

It's ok Amara, I'm not really ill just had a little difficultyon the walk out of the park last night due to my hernia. I'm ok now, just my usual GERD symptoms now. I think I'll live. But thanks for your concern.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:16 PM   #83  

I can't stay away from this site today!

To those who have Kindles or know about them. I'm told it holds 1500 books. What happens if I accidentally download more than that? I don't usually have my Kindle handy when I download from Amazon. I do know I have over 1100 already in it. Will they just not load, will it quit working? What do you think?

ETA: Forgot to say I do read my ebooks but since I only read them now and then (gym, when waiting for appt, fireworks etc :-) ) I'm not reading them nearly as fast as I'm downloading them.

Last edited by maryea; 07-05-2012 at 10:32 PM.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:33 PM   #84  

Hi everyone. hope you all had a nice 4th. we didnt do anything till last nite and then went to the car races. they had trucks and class a and b racer's all on the track at once for 50 laps. their where 23 cars racing around it was crazy but fun .my gr nephew races so its nice to cheer for him. maryea sry you where not feeling well becuz of all the rain we've had my bones ache so havent been doing alot. just laundry ( my dd's ) i have had that prep for my bariatric surg and its no fun. havent had the rooter rooter test yet tho. we did get good news tho. my dd had her house rented and her renters are moving so they can move back into their home in 3 weeks. she is so excited to get her home back and now can have her furbabies too. its like starting all over for them. we are giving them some of our extra furniture till they can get what they want. i roasted a turkye breast yesterday and am making a salad like a waldorf salad only with the turkey,apples celery,grapes and cashews. with alite mayo and lemon dressing. ive made it befor and love it. hoping your evenings peaceful rosey
Old 07-05-2012, 10:37 PM   #85  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

That salad sounds yummy Rosey ~ think I want to try that
Old 07-06-2012, 12:29 AM   #86  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good evening all,

I should be in bed, but like a little kid ~ hate to give in and quit having fun.

Off tomorrow. I have a dentist appointment bright and early at 7:30 am, I will probably be sorry that I didn't get in bed earlier. Oh well, what's done is done.

I've had fun on-line. I got out of work late, so, didn't get around to any exercise. I ate not too badly. Got to IM with friend. I always call mom to "tuck" me in, but it is probably too late now. She says it is never too late and that if I wake her up it is ok because she falls right back to sleep easily, but I feel guilty and selfish when I wake her up.

I was looking on-line for recipes ~ like salmon patties or a salmon loaf. I like the recipes on the spark recipes web site ~ the calories and all that (protein, fat, carbohydrates and fiber) are all figured for you. They even have a tool that you can enter the ingredients of your own recipe and it will figure all that out for you. That is cool. I'm excited about that. There was a tool like that on the weight watchers web site when I was a member ~ I missed that, so am glad to have found that feature on another place. Having to figure out all that stuff your own self ~ well it is just easier and quicker to let the computer do it.

Ok, I guess I'd better be a grown up now and head to bed.

Hope you all rest well and feel well tomorrow.

Take care
Old 07-06-2012, 09:11 AM   #87  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Ginger - According to what I read, the problem getting on the internet is not going to be limited to 7/9, but will be from 7/9 on, until you get the malware removed from your computer. If your computer is new, you most likely don't have a problem.

Maryea - When I download a book from the library I download it to my computer, and then transfer it to my reader. It stays on my computer until I delete it. I don't keep these books....they are loaned from the library as if I went to the library and checked out the book, so they are automatically deleted in 14 days. Would you be able to download your books to be stored onto your computer until you are ready to read them? I would be afraid that my e-reader would not work and all my books would be gone, but then if your computer crashed you would lose what was saved on your computer. I only have about 12 books on my e-reader. They are books that were on the e-reader when I bought it and a few free ones I have downloaded from Barnes and Noble. I have quit downloading books for a while....I have so many paperbacks I have bought at the flea market and traded with my friend. I have to read some of them for a while as I am running out of places to put them.

Cajun - I looked up "sweating" and found an article that says most toxins are removed by the liver and kidneys but sweating plays a part, too.
http://www.livestrong.com/article/82...inates-toxins/

We don't usually have long stretches of temps in the 90's like we're having now. I hate to see my next electric bill!!! I hope when this is over we have temps in the 70's for the rest of summer.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 07-06-2012 at 09:11 AM.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:55 AM   #88  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Geezzzzzzzzzz Carol Sue, I never thought about how high our electric bills are going to be with running the air conditioner constantly.....waaaaaa
Can everyone tell me what email server you use? I'm not real happy with mine, I have to sign in every time and it's a pain in the butt.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:55 PM   #89  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Hi All!

Busy busy here! I am off to meet the day. I slept most of the day yesterday and I need to MOVE! So far, I have played golf, tennis and bowling with the little guy. Headed down to the farm to work on the camper and clean my dad's shop today. Laters!

Rie
Old 07-06-2012, 03:01 PM   #90  

Hello Goldies!! It's going to be a warm day and weekend. I even had trouble stay cool enough last night even with my fan. Today I will remake the bed and am taking off the blanket. The way our weather has been I haven't wanted to do that but hopefully we won't need it now. Just got word that our our oldest gs and his sister will be here Monday. So excited to see them again as it's been about a year I think. I am hoping they get here early enough for us to take them to lunch and our dd and her children can join us. They have never met their youngest cousin and the other one was only two the last they saw him. So would be good for both sides to meet.

We did our usual at the gym except I used a new weight machine. It's called Lat Pull-Down and I did two sets of 12 reps. I only set it at 40# but think I could have done 50. Just wanted to be cautious in the begining. It is actually much easier than the overhead press but I did both today plus the one for my lower back.

Rie - You may have taken one day off but you amaze with your energy!
Glad yo have the test behind you and hope everything is ok.

Bobbi - Sorry about the high AC bills! So far we haven't had to use our AC but we live in a totally different climate than you. Told dh we may need it today though. The new windows we put in (we still need 4 more!) have helped a lot.

Slmn11 - Amazon keeps a copy of all the books I download but I don't know that you can just keep them there and not download to your Kindle but that's a good idea, will check into that. I am reading them a bit fast these days (forgot this yesterday), because I have started reading them on my iPad in the evenings while watching TV when I get bored with entering sweeps. Guess I should just stop downloading new books but I get tempted when the free ones sound so good. So far it is working fine. Forgot again to notice how many I have. I have a huge number of unread hard copy books in my office that I am slowly reading. When I'm done with them (if ever!) I will probably use mostly my eReader or iPad. I had never thought about using Kindle on my iPad until recently. I don't like to take it to the gym though for fear of it getting broken so use my Kindle for that.

Glynne - I love the internet for finding recipes. I haven't used the Spark Recipe site much but know it is a good one for the reasons you stated. I'm impressed by how well you are doing...thinking more about eating light and exercising etc.

Rosey - I ache when it's rainy too...and we get a lot of rain. Glad you had run at the car races. Will your dd be living close to you now? I sure enjoy having our dd closer...she's a good 15-20 min away but much closer than before.
Closed Thread