Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 12:51 PM   #121  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

I'm home. Washed two loads of laundry and have them hanging on the line. It's a great day for drying--warm and breezy. Made up 10 smoothie packs with almost dead bananas that were reduced and some frozen fruits I had in the freezer. We ate eggs and toast for dinner and now I'm sitting down.

Have a great day.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:13 PM   #122  

Height: 5'3"

From 100 Days of Weight Loss by Linda Spangle (paraphrased)
Last time she said eat with awareness, now she is saying to continue that awareness while you also do other things. She indicates that this takes practice to remember you are eating while talking with a friends, watching TV or whatever. She says that when you work at it, you're able to maintain total awareness of your food, regardless of the situation. I never thought of practicings something like this but I do have trouble keeping aware of my eating at times..like when the grandchildren are here.

From If I'm So Smart Why Can't I Lose Weight by Brooke Castillo
(paraphrased)
Belief Tool#4
If you don't like what you are feeling, change the belief.

So when you have a negative feeling, you need to do the same exercise as discussed before, get down to the belief that is causing it, decide whether or not it is really true and make your decision how you want to change it or what you want to do.

She also uses an illustration of her own experience where her assistant failed to do something she needed her to do and she was upset. She could have felt justified but instead she took it deeper and asked herself why she really felt upset and realized she was worried her client might see her as unprofessional and digging deeper still she found a belief system that said she was not capable. She knew this was completely illogical so she turned it around immediately and then was able to speak with her assistant free from emotion and without reqacting and shaming her with her own frustration. She was able to maintain her professionalism and see that she was capable of handling the situation well which was the exact opposite of what her illogical belief system would have had her do. She says in the past she would have yelled at her assistant and then gone into the kitchen to eat a frozen pizza.

She is always saying "I don't know" is not an acceptable answer (when asking why one feels a certain way). You do know. Go - and find your answers.

Me - Seems to me the key here is if a negative feeling is coming from a illogical belief. I like that in her illustration she was able to get past the fact that many people would think her feelings/reactions were justified because of her assistant's failure to do her job properly, because I have learned in life that the popular opinion is not necessarily the best one.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:49 PM   #123  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Mary, great job using what you’re learning to recognize your emotions to avoid eating in response to them. I know I still do it.

Carol Sue, I like the Cottenelle brand best. I bought a store brand one once and they were not anything as nice. I did buy Costco ones for my friend and I at work (yes, I put for Marie and my friend label on it) and they aren’t bad. DH has had a sore throat for 3 weeks and your comment about the fizzy Diet Coke and throat problems clicked. He’d just switched from Mt Dew to the Soda Stream mix. I mentioned what you said and he’ll go back to Mt Dew for a while to see if the sore throat goes away. I’ll let you know.

Freda, my thoughts and sympathies are with you this evening. I hope that the prep goes easily for you. And yes, the kids are tiring. Also, I bought a Oxo cherry pitter. We buy loads of fresh cherries, pit them and freeze them in ziploc bags. They make awesome smoothies in the winter. Oh, and yummy margaritas…

Cajun, I made and slurped margaritas this weekend for a house load of people. It must have been the weekend to do that.

Mary, I read/listen to multiple books at a time too. My DH thinks it stems from my ADD. He’s probably right.

Red, Way To Go on being your advocate. Drs tend to always say everything is normal. The press blares that if your body feels different to listen to it, and then you get a medical bill and the frustration that you know something isn’t right and the drs say “normal”. Hmm, can you tell I’ve had experience with that as well?

Isabella, welcome home. I bet you’re happy to be resting.

Two days posting in a row – in the summer even. Wow. Work is still hectic but I thought I’d try posting as well as reading. Luckily the thread was pretty quiet.

Marie
Old 07-10-2012, 12:08 AM   #124  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Very tired tonight... Preparing and cooking for the big open house at work. I had to post a couple things...

Marie so nice to see you. I struggle to get here too. Sorry I have been neglecting words... there is just too much to do. I used to have a SERIOUS dr pepper habit. I can't drink the diet stuff because it gives me a headache. I drink the flavored soda water now. I like it a lot

Mary, I am proud of you for figuring things out.

Isabella, welcome home.

Freda, thinking of you tonight. I hope all is well and you are hopefully snug in bed by now.

Later everyone!

Rie
Old 07-10-2012, 09:17 AM   #125  

S/C/G: 281/214/165

Height: 5'2"

Hello goldies
Grrrrrrrrrrrr I lost my post I typed.

Today was weigh in day and I'm down 1 lb. I was hoping for at least 2 but I guess I'm being inpatient. I know it's better to lose slower. I just want to get to goal so bad. I guess my crazy mind thinks I will be done when I reach goal. But everyone says getting to goal is the easy part. Keeping it off if the hardest part. I have some time to still work on those thoughts. Sorry I'm babbling. My feelings are all over this morning. I'm trying so hard not to be disappointed with the 1 lb.

No time for personals this morning. Hope y'all have a good day to each and everyone of you.

Hugs
Cajun
Old 07-10-2012, 09:43 AM   #126  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Red - Good for you keeping on the doctor! My PCP sent me for a stress test at age 50, simply because of my age and family history. It came back good. A few months later I started having severe fatigue and weakness. He referred me to a cardiologist who said my stress test was good, I just needed to lose weight. I told him I didn't just gain this weight. I had carried this weight for 10 years or so with no shortness of breath. So he said he would do a catheterization just for my own peace of mind. It showed 2 blockages and I needed 2 stents. Since then I have had quadruple bypass and several more stents. My symptoms were always atypical. Mostly I get pain in my left jawbone, and I know it's time to get things checked out. I am surprised that your doctor didn't order a stress test as a baseline, simply because of your age and weight. Afterwards, that cardiologist was very hard on me. One time I was doing a stress test and I told him I couldn't do any more. He said "You can do it, you just don't want to" and continued the test. He was right, I could do it and did, but I didn't want to! LOL
Old 07-10-2012, 09:57 AM   #127  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Oh my gosh, stay too busy to chat every day and can't keep up. I started reading back on page 6 and now out of time to finish. I'll have to come back later today if I have time. Not enough daylight hours, really. DH has had the interior car material on the table with the car forms to cut and hot glue, I promised I'd get to them today. Geeeeeez!
Isabella...I did click on the Lynn's site about the smoothies. Great idea. I already have frozen banana packets in the freezer. All along for the last month I've been picking blueberries and raspberries and freezing them on a cookie sheet, then packaged. I'm going to make some of those packets today if I have the time. Thanks for that link.
Gotta go.
Later Gators.

Last edited by Bobbolink; 07-10-2012 at 09:58 AM.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:36 PM   #128  

Woke up with neck hurting but otherwise it's a good day. The neck discomfort seems to alternate with the back until they both go away. At least it did last time. My back is pretty good now, so it's the neck time.
We went to the gym as usual. Instead of the treadmill I walked a little over a mile on the track plus the other usual stuff.

Cajun - Congrats on the pound loss! I just go up and down. Wish I could go down down down even a little at a time. I think I need to eat less. That Medifast diet ruined me!

Marie - I think with me it's just that I like to have book handy to read whereever I spend time. Don't want to have to go get one when I feel like reading. Goes with my laziness I guess.

Pretty quiet here, not much to chat about. You all have a good day!
Old 07-10-2012, 03:22 PM   #129  

From 100 Days of Weight Loss by Linda Spangle (paraphrased)
When you eat take time to savor your food. Practice with a piece of chocolate that makes about 5-6 tiny bites to eat and take time to savor each bite. Smell it, eat it in tiny bites, notice the flavor and think about the different flavors if more than one (like chocolate and mint perhaps), and focus on every bit of it, swallowing, the feeling of it going down into your stomach etc. Feel it as well as taste it. When you eat with this kind of awareness, you will receive an amazing amount of enjoyment and satisfaction from your food.

If I'm So Smart, Why Can't I Lose Weight by Brooke Castillo
Believing that you are internally rather than externally controlled.

Me- This is a powerful, straight-talk chapter!! I felt for the most part it is right-on. I honestly think we can ALL relate to it. I decided for that very reason I would not post it because I don't want it to seem like I'm telling you. I hope you all realize that the excerpts are from these motivational books and not from me personally. I have not achieved most of this stuff myself. But just in case because I don't want to offend anyone who may be dealing with some of these areas, I decided to just keep this very brief However again, I encourage you to read the book if you deal with any of these areas.

The first part is likely controversial...she says to NOT clear out the junk food, remove the bread basket from the table, or stay away from buffets or people who might tempt you with food. It's all part of deaing with your feelings and getting to the negative beliefs that got you to where you are. If you do you won't have to worry about all of this. ME - while I agree with her reasons, this would be very hard for me and I truly am not sure I could do it at this point.

The second part is about NOT telling others what you need from them (this contradicts the other book but I do agree with this one and have been more and more learning this in my own life). She says if your happiness depends on what someone else does or doesn't do, you are going to be unhappy a lot of the time. There is nothing another person has that you need. Everything you need is within you now.

This last part is powerful and could be cutting esp if it is a new concept. What I have typed here is the bare minimum of what she says. Her chapters are short but she really packs a wallop into them!

Last edited by maryea; 07-10-2012 at 03:23 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:31 PM   #130  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good evening GG’s,

Had a nice day off. It was sunny part of the time. It rained off and on ~ that is ok though ~ maybe it will help things to not be so dry so that we don’t catch on fire like last summer.

My son stopped by to visit for a bit ~ that was nice. Then later Maddie came by. She had told me yesterday that she had a surprise for me ~ today she said the surprise was her

Back to work tomorrow. Hoping not to have any unpleasantries with a doctor like I had the other day. Got yelled at because I did not understand what he had said. He spoke to me from the doctors dictating room which is behind where I sit. So, my back was toward him, he was too far from me (all I could know was that he had spoken, but did not know what he had said). I am hearing impaired ~ wear a hearing aid, so trying to talk to me like that did not help. I got up and went to the room and asked him if he needed something. He repeated, but because of his foreign accent I still didn’t understand what he said. He yelled ~ can’t you hear me? I felt so embarrassed and humiliated ~ I turned and walked away. Thankfully one of my coworkers had heard what he wanted, and so I was able to do what he wanted. Not fun. That is why I do not want to have to go back to nursing ~ I would have to deal with even more of that kind of thing. After 30+ years of nursing, I have had my fill, done my time. Don’t want to do that anymore ever again.

I spent some time looking up things about diabetes diets and sample menus. I am pre-diabetic, so am trying to learn more about counting carbs. My friends are helping me try to understand it better.

I have been kind of floundering with the food ~ don’t know why this carb thing seems so confusing to me. I had DH help me make a (not sure what the document is called) thing with columns so I could record my foods and the different values (calories, carbs etc.) that I am trying to keep track of. I think that will help make it a little easier.

The hard part is the foods like fruits and vegetables that don’t have a nutrition label. And I feel kind of frustrated having to figure stuff out that I had already done (like my salads), but have to do again because of trying to keep track of the carbs. When I was doing weight watchers, most vegetables and fruits were 0 points plus for a reasonable amount. So I didn’t really have to measure those. Now, having to measure and refigure out some of the stuff. Once I get that done, I should be able to do better.

Hope you all have had a nice day. Personals will have to wait until another time.

Take care
Old 07-10-2012, 10:33 PM   #131  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Rie, my DD loves regular Dr Pepper too. I could never spend my few precious calories on regular soda. If I’m going to drink calories, it’s going to be a daiquiri, margarita or a mocha.

Cajun, on the pound eradicated. Great job!

Mary, do you think your neck pain is due to holding differently or tensely when you have back pain? Maybe next time, your DH could be proactive and massage the neck while the back hurts???

The tidal wave at work continues but there is an end in sight. My 2.5 months of state reporting he!! ends at midnight on Friday, no matter if I finish or not. Other than that, not much to report.
Marie
Old 07-10-2012, 11:29 PM   #132  

Hi everyone. another quiet day here. i ordered that book maryea. the why if im so smart. it sounded like something that would help me. thankyou for all the great info. glynne i struggled for yrs learning to count carbs, i just used a carb counting book and then limited the amount of carbs i could have a day and journaling helped alot.. tonite i made a ww recipe, a cabbage,chicken salad. it has cabbage, chopped up vegies(onion,green pepper,celery,carrotts) 2 chunked up boneless skinless chix breasts,1 cup unsalted peanuts,1 can water chestnuts and i pkg of top ramon noodles crunched up. mix all together including dry noodles and then make a sweet sour dressing using the flavor pkg from the noodles,olive oil,vinegar,stevia and lite soy sauce. we love it. hope you all have a peaceful evening rosey
Old 07-10-2012, 11:38 PM   #133  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Hi Goldens.

Just a few.... I am tired and in the middle of a very long week. I am scheduled tomorrow from 0900 till after midnight. I had an argument with my youngest ds last week and I have been feeling bummed about it. Tonight I got a text that said.. Research shows that son's get 90% or their awesomeness from their mothers that's why I love that guy.

Cooking and prep work is almost done and the party is tomorrow.

Marie, I haven't had a sip of regular pop for almost 2 years, until I had the endoscopy last week and the nurse insisted that I drink a little ginger ale when I was sick. All in all, I will always choose a margarita over soda.

Freda, thinking of you today. Hoping you are well.

Mary, I love to savor a single square of dark, dark ghiradelli chocolate.

Cajun, good job on the pound lost. I sure wish I could get my scale to go down.

Donna, Zoe, Isabella, the Karens, and others. Headed off to rest!

Rie
Old 07-10-2012, 11:39 PM   #134  
Empress/Queen

Hello, all! I read the posties here, so much to take in and am falling asleep. The heat is bothering me a lot this year, not sure why as I normally do quite well with it.

Cajun, congratulations on the pound down! Huzzah!

Mary, loved the discussion from the book you posted.

Good night to everyone.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:06 AM   #135  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryea View Post
If I'm So Smart, Why Can't I Lose Weight by Brooke Castillo
Believing that you are internally rather than externally controlled.

Me- This is a powerful, straight-talk chapter!! I felt for the most part it is right-on. I honestly think we can ALL relate to it. I decided for that very reason I would not post it because I don't want it to seem like I'm telling you. I hope you all realize that the excerpts are from these motivational books and not from me personally. I have not achieved most of this stuff myself. But just in case because I don't want to offend anyone who may be dealing with some of these areas, I decided to just keep this very brief However again, I encourage you to read the book if you deal with any of these areas.

The first part is likely controversial...she says to NOT clear out the junk food, remove the bread basket from the table, or stay away from buffets or people who might tempt you with food. It's all part of deaing with your feelings and getting to the negative beliefs that got you to where you are. If you do you won't have to worry about all of this. ME - while I agree with her reasons, this would be very hard for me and I truly am not sure I could do it at this point.

The second part is about NOT telling others what you need from them (this contradicts the other book but I do agree with this one and have been more and more learning this in my own life). She says if your happiness depends on what someone else does or doesn't do, you are going to be unhappy a lot of the time. There is nothing another person has that you need. Everything you need is within you now.

This last part is powerful and could be cutting esp if it is a new concept. What I have typed here is the bare minimum of what she says. Her chapters are short but she really packs a wallop into them!
Maryea - I am so glad to see this excerpt from the book as it is what I have believed for years. It IS very difficult, but necessary for success. If you can only control your eating when the tempting foods are not around and when the people around you are supporting your efforts, you are setting yourself up for a fall. For the rest of your life there will be times that you find yourself in a position to have to face your trigger foods. And you will always have to deal with some negative feedback from others. In order for this to be a life-long committment, YOU have to be able to say NO to your trigger foods when they are sitting in front of you, and YOU have to be able to continue on your journey even when those around you are not supportive

I don't mean to be a hypocrite. If I were able to do this all the time I would be thin. I just try not to blame others for my inability to follow this rule.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 07-11-2012 at 08:09 AM.
Closed Thread