Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 10:52 AM   #346  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Hi Everyone,

Last night I went to my DD & SIL's for our first cook-out. That hot dog was REALLY delicious and the weather was much more like May than March!

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyinweighting View Post

Tuesday - 3/20

Weight - 151 lbs.
Exercise - 90 min.
Food -
Breakfast - protein bar
Lunch - 1/2 Amy's Vegetable Pot Pie
Afternoon snack - peanut butter fluff
Dinner -
Evening snack -

Last edited by ladyinweighting; 03-20-2012 at 01:51 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:10 AM   #347  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Hello Gals. I'm so far behind with posting I'm going to try and do two posts and try and catch up. DH is busy putting the molding and baseboards back in the kitchen. When it is all "perfect" I'm going to post the before and after pictures. I'm quite pleased with our DIY kitchen project.

So here goes a marathon posting.

Bobbi, I almost sent you a sympathy card when I read that your computer crashed. How do we live without them? I just saw a news article last night that said that people would rather give up sex than the internet. Hahaha. So true. Glad your back on the WWW again. I used to decorate the boys' birthday cakes, too. I never took a course but I worked in a kitchen during my college days and picked up a few tips along the way.

Marie, just a comment on dgs birthday cake. Yes, it was as large as a wedding cake and certainly under priced for the size and time that went into it. I just think it was just too much for a little guy. Everyone loved the cake, though so his other grandma was very happy. The woman who made the cake was a friend of the family and gave her a very good deal. I'm glad to see your feeling much better as the days go by. The body's ability to heal itself if marvelous.

Donna, I think DGS is the most handsome little man I've ever seen. Now there's a bragging grandmother statement. I sure every grandmother feels the same way about their little tykes. Yes, the cake was well worth the money.

Karen31, butterscotch concrete sounds like something I'd love. So glad you're in your new house and starting to get things settled away. I'm amazed at how efficient you are at all this moving, packing and unpacking.

Karen3
, glad you are hearing much better now. Seems as if DGS will not kiss me or anyone else if his mother is anywhere close. All his kisses are for her. The only exception to that is if DH, his grandfather is there, then he leaves his mother for Poppy.

Ladysheets, your cat is so pretty.

Ciecie, I knew about Oreos being 100 years old but not the GS Cookies. I usually buy a package to support the girls. For all you Oreo lovers out there, here's a story for you. When I was in grade school I had a friend who loved Oreos. One year when the season of Lent came around she gave up the icing between the Oreos. At lunch time she would dutifully pull the two cookies apart and scrape the icing off before wolfing down the two naked halves. That comes to my mind every time I see an Oreo cookie.

Lynn, that Walmart birthday cake is hilarious. My friend's nephew was christened the wrong name in a similar way. When his father was leaving to see the priest about the christening he checked with his wife to make sure he had the name right. She said, "Call him John." When the husband spoke to the priest he said, "We are naming him Collin John," mistaking his wife's words. So the boy was registered with the first name of Collin. That was about 40 years ago when the churches in Newfoundland registered children's names with the government.

Rosey, that little pup of yours is adorable. And you are adorable as well. How nice you look in your pictures.

Deelee, thank you for your compliment on DGS and cake. Losing weight is certainly an accomplishment that has been worked on very hard. Potato chips are my "drug of choice" so I try to abstain like you do with cake...sigh...

Carol Sue, that was quite the story about your MIL and St. Patrick's Day.

Rie, my back is getting a bit better, enough to get on the bike. I don't care for Oreos either. I guess we never had them growing up. My father was the cookie baker in our family and we just loved his cookies. His signature cookies were chocolate chip, peanut butter and a most wonderful coconut cookie (not a macaroon) that he made specially for my mother. I never got his recipe for the coconut cookie and he went to his grave with the secret. I've tried to replicate it but just can't get the same flavour.

End of Part I.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:46 PM   #348  

S/C/G: 0/37/35-50 lbs lost

Height: 5'5"

Hi Golden Girls -

Marie - First, I’m very sorry about your father. Second, I’m glad you are feeling better each day. Third, thanks for your ideas about eating. I agree that to keep battling is the best thing. When I am at a daytime function - like bridge or my book club - the ladies wonder why I don’t eat their home made desserts. It’s because, while I could easily eat and enjoy them - I can pass them up then . At 8 p.m. I will want them, even if I had some in the afternoon. So, that saves me some calories.

Isabella - My father once asked me - is there anything you won’t eat? He didn’t mean it as an insult, he was just curious. Nope. I love potato chips and other things. I don’t keep those in the house either.

Bluet - Almost 2 years ago we moved my parents into a “retirement community.” It has independent living, assisted living and nursing care. I had tried to talk them into it 3 years before that. They had been falling a lot and my dad couldn’t get my mom up, etc. They are in an apartment in the independent part. It is beautiful and they love it. They really need to do assisted living but we are waiting for an apartment to open up on the same corridor they live at now. They don’t do any cooking, unless they want to - they don’t want to. There are 5 restaurants, beauty salon, health club….They have so many friends. Clubs, lectures. Theatre outings to downtown with transportation provided - on and on. Check some places out, find someplace nice, and then show your mom. You both may be surprised.

Mrslosingit - good for you - 9 days without binging. I hope tomorrow I can tell you, “one day - no binge.” How do you end your binge? I would be intereste3d in the smallest details...
Hi to everyone - keep suggestions coming. I'll be back later!
Old 03-20-2012, 01:00 PM   #349  
Isabella

Marathon Post Part II

Donna, I was wondering why you have trouble posting at home but not at work. Could it be your internet connection. My boys are always talking about the different speeds and their effects on downloading, etc.

Lynn, your story about meeting your former student was so interesting. Talk about being in the right place at the right time. I used to love corned beef when I ate meat. It was one of my favourite meals. Glad your children enjoyed the meal. I'm going to start posting my eats and exercise again. Thanks for mentioning it on one of your posts.

Rosey, all the kids must be thrilled when they hear they are going to visit you. Heck, I'd like to visit you and have my nails done and make bracelets and watch a movie. Sounds like a great time for the little ones. You must be very tired after a day like that. But what memories for the kids.

Marie, your convalescence seems to be going well. I just love when I can find a place online that has free shipping. I just won't buy if I have to spend a fortune on shipping and handling. So sorry your father is not well. I hope he has many more happy years ahead of him.

Bobbi
, isn't it amazing how long a kitchen remake can take when you're not on a TV reality show. Oh, and check out these links on double underlined words and how to disable them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IntelliTXT

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=564572

Carol Sue
, strange things happen. That's quite the story on how you and your DH met and married. BTW, I figured your dates were off as things didn't add up.

Puneri, don't give up on losing weight. The worst thing you can do is to give up and gain it all back. Try something new.

Rie, it must be really dry in Montana if you have a "burn warning" in March! Hopefully, spring will bring rain for the crops. So glad you will be "walking" with us in the challenge. I know all about bad knees and I have to watch my pace as well.

Welcome, Mrsloingit. You're in the right place. I can be a binger. If I'm stressed I'll eat til I burst.

Happy Birthday, Nancy. Late I know.

Mary, if your worried about your DH on a ladder get someone else to clean or install the gutters. The bill for repairs will be much cheaper than a funeral.

Freda, wish it was warm enough here to hang cloths on the line. It's the first day of Spring and it's snowing and the week promises to be cold. I never had a problem with my back until I retired. Maybe if you retire, your back will get better.

Ladysheets, how is the dear lady doing? Hope she is on the mend.

Donna, you would do well to find a new doctor for your GM if you're not happy with the one she has. My mother was given medication that made her shuffle instead of walk and she had Parkinson's Disease where you need all the help you can with walking. When mom was with my sister she fell and had to be taken to emergency and the doctor there said he never prescribed this medication to seniors as it affected their ability to walk. When my sister asked mom's regular doctor to take her off that medication the doctor got very huffy about the whole thing. When mom came to live with me we got a new doctor who took her off the undesirable meds and got her on new ones.
So sorry to hear about your cousin's sudden death. That's really hard on the family.

Rosey, what a story about your trip to Alaska when younger.
Tootsie is such a cute name for the pup.

Welcome Bluet. You'll get lot's of support here. I hope you can find suitable arrangements for your mother that will keep everyone happy.

Gayle, I was wondering where you'd gotten to. Glad to hear from you again.
Nothing like company coming to get things cleaned and tidied up. I don't think the downstairs bathroom would ever get cleaned if we didn't have company coming, lol. Sounds like you all had a great time together.

Webwoman
, hope you are successful with the 2 lb loss this week.

Marie, cork flooring is a laminate floating floor. It's a click and lock system. Each piece is 1x3 feet. You can see the cork on the top and bottom with some kind of wood product laminated in between. The colors are very natural but range from quite dark to light as the one in the picture. It's very easy on the
feet.

Deelee, "my bewitching hours" really resounded with me. If I can say "no" I'm all right, but if I give in I'm like a maniac.

Zoe, you must be a very busy lady. Haven't seen you here in a while.

A question for all you fish oil people. Does fish oil have cholesterol and is it significant? Just wondering....

The kitchen is starting to be functional again. I had a few spots to repaint today where the paint got scratched. I was quite pleased that there were only a few places and that was because we removed a door and scratched the paint removing the hinges from the door. I thought we'd have the baseboard molding down today but have to wait for it to be delivered to the store tomorrow but that hardly stops me from working in there, lol.

I think I got everyone in these two posts but if I didn't you may beat me unmercifully with your typing fingers.

Catch you later.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:17 PM   #350  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

So many post to catch up to, so much to do. Isabella, thanks for those links to rid myself of those underlined words. I'll work on that tomorrow when I don't have a migraine headache. I can't think or see straight today.
Yes Marie, you can tell me........I TOLD YOU SO. I washed bedding and hung outside where maple pollen must have travels for miles to get to my sheets. We cut down the only Maple tree in our yard last fall when I found that to be one of my allergies. I'm going to sleep on the same sheets tonight and see if I still wake with a headache, if not ....then it wasn't maple pollen that got to me.
later gators.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:52 PM   #351  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Donna, sadly my dad’s time won’t be lengthy or comfy. I am sorry about your friend’s passing. I’m not sure most day’s I feel old but the number of family or friends’ deaths gives me a good clue.

Bluet, sometimes I think we have to put our foot down harder with our parents than with our children. If your mom falling is detrimental for her longevity, you’ll need to get pushy.

Rosey, sounds like you’re having a great time with your puppies. I love all the pictures.

Freda, how fun to play tennis with your grandkids. I’m jealous. And of warm weather. Six inches of snow dumped on us overnight. Most is melting away but my huskies sure had fun this morning.

Lynn, a BBQ in March does sound off whether in Oregon or Pennsylvania.

Isabella, I’ve got to say that it is cute all your DGS’s kisses are for his mommy or granddad. You’ll get more during the next stage. And if you ever figure out the flavor missing in your coconut cookies, post the recipe. Yummy. How cool on the cork flooring. We have laminate and I’d think the cork would add more cushion than the plastic squishy stuff we’d used.

Deelee, I so agree that everything that I pass up is a step closer for a day’s success in the war. Thank you for the kind thoughts. I appreciate them.

Bobbi, here’s a link for pollen forecasts. Maple wasn’t listed for you.

Seems my DGD wasn't just teething when she was over on Saturday. I seem to have a cold. boo-hiss. My dr appt went well. We talked about what to do if the cold makes the asthma go haywire. Since I'm two weeks post-op, prednisone could slow recovery but I am two weeks post-op and that's good. Usually I don't have asthma crashing until a week after a cold starts. So that would be three weeks post-op. Got my DGS's quilt material yesterday and it's prewashed. DH moved my sewing cabinet into the living room. Yesterday I made all the patterns and worked out the instructions. So today I will start working on it. Having Spicy Cajun Pasta for lunch/dinner with DH and hope that the spicy knock the cold on its butt.
Marie
Old 03-20-2012, 04:34 PM   #352  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Isabella - I don't know what you mean by is fish oil significant. Did you mean is it a significant source of cholesterol? It lowers your cholesterol. I think to lower your cholesterol you have to be taking around 3000 mg daily. You can also get it in your food. Salmon is a good source and my favorite!
Old 03-20-2012, 04:43 PM   #353  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Marie...thanks for that thread, since I'm new to allergies I didn't know it existed. Sorry about your dad's health, I meant to say that in my last post but my head isn't working very good today.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:05 PM   #354  
Isabella

Carol Sue, what I was wondering was is there a significant amount of cholesterol in fish oil?
Old 03-20-2012, 06:23 PM   #355  

Height: 5'3"

I'm not Carol Sue but I asked my doctor about this and he said yes, it does and it is strange but it still helps lower cholesterol in humans. My dh and I were told to get at least 2000 or 2500 which is what we take daily.

Last edited by maryea; 03-20-2012 at 06:23 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:33 PM   #356  

S/C/G: 200/183/150

Height: 5'7

I also love cozy mysteries.I'm reading SAMMI CARTER'S PEPPERMINT TWIST
Old 03-20-2012, 09:03 PM   #357  

I stayed home today but it's been a busy but pleasant day. I ordered PB2 from amazon and got it today. Of course I had to try it right away in a mocha! It was almost as good as using my regular pb and saves me about 60 calories. So it's a keeper. Can't wait to try it with apple slices like Rie does!

MrsLosinit - I found your book and have it in my cart at amazon. will buy when I earn another GC.

Isabella - At this point dh won't allow me to hire others often. He feels he is still able to do most things. I think the Leafguard system will make our house look better (we need new gutters regardless) and will also make it easier for dh. They are coming tomorrow to give us an estimate. I am hiring others for anything that requires going on top of the roof or trimming (high up) or cutting down trees now. I don't want to restrict dh's activity too much...the yardwork is good exercise, just want to keep him safe and I think he will in time realize there are somethings he shouldn't do anymore.

Today he went to his retirees brunch, then shopping at about three stores for things he needed and a few groceries. Came home exhausted.

Sorry I can't do more personals right now. Have to get dinner started.

Last edited by maryea; 03-20-2012 at 09:05 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:23 PM   #358  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Hello all....sorry for being MIA, but I've been popping in on FB here and there. Just so danged busy, and then little Micah had a couple of really bad days - or nights, I should say - waking, or semi-waking with night terrors, which apparently happens fairly often with small children who are given anesthesia. A lot of feedback from parents on the internet with children who had tonsillectomies and adenoids removed and then had night terrors for anywhere from a couple of nights to a couple of months. They are really scary, as the child isn't really conscious and can't be consoled, just screams and screams until he wears himself out. Last night he didn't have them, so we're hoping that they're over with. My poor dd is pretty sleep-deprived. She took him back to his PC, who said there's nothing that they can do about them. Great, huh?

Thanks for asking about me, Isabella. I'm still plugging away. I found a diet buddy - one of my partners on the Vermont project, and we're checking in with each other a couple of times a day via text message or email and coaching each other to stay focused on eating less and exercising more.

I've been keeping up, more or less, on FB with most of us GG's...Oh, Marie! So sorry to hear about your Dad, hun. Wish I could give you a hug.

Glad to hear that CaddyK is finally moved into her new place. The pics are awesome. Beautiful house!

Well, much as I'd like stay and chat a while longer, I'm dead tired and need to get myself prone.

I hope to get caught up sometime soon.

In the meantime, I'm thinking of all of you....ohhhhh, Rosey, Toots is just adorable!

Z
Old 03-20-2012, 11:02 PM   #359  
ALASKA

S/C/G: 254/239/195

Height: 5'10

Hey everyone,
Beautiful sunshine here today I enjoyed it very much,so did my kitty Sylvee.
My dear friend is still having a hard time still in ICU. she dosnt want to do what anyone tells her to do so its making things hard on herself. She can be a pill. going to anchorage to see her tomorrow i have a follow up w
ith my surgeon to see how the spinal fusion is coming along.Hoping for good news.

Marie I know ups and downs you have when your parents begin to fail. Mine are both gone now but it can be a very stressful time. I hope things go well for all of you.

suppliments i take are fih oil,vit. D3 and multi vitamin. Not big on taking anything but Doc reccomends this and so i use it.

chat with all of you later
Old 03-20-2012, 11:21 PM   #360  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Hello Goldens.

Wow, I missed yesterday and I am way behind! I am having a busy week at work and home. Oh well, it keeps me moving, right? I am easing back into Walkitout and weight lifting and it sure feels good.

Marie So sorry about your dad. I know that you really enjoyed your time with him on your last trip. Hopefully the asthma monster will spare you this time. The quilt is a nice diversion.

Donna, to you too! I am sorry about the sudden loss of your cousin. It sounds like he was well-loved and had a good life. I lost my gpa after a long illness and my gma suddenly. I can't figure out which is best. Probably quickly for them and sadly, harder for those they leave behind. I think losing people is a good reminder to treat our loved ones well while we have them. I am hoping for you to find GM a good doctor.

Zoe, poor little Micah. And poor granny and mom, too! Hopefully, he will be one of the kids that passes through it quickly. Their little neuro systems are just not developed. The only good thing is, like his pain, he probably won't remember.... Hang in there working lady! Rest up.

Isabella, I loved your post(s). Fish oil has cholesterol but it helps to lower it in humans. Very strange. My doc is not big on supplements but he is all over omega 3's. Of course he had stints in his heart a couple years ago and worries about the heart a lot. The cork floor is wonderful.

Bluet, most of my relatives who have entered senior communities have lived longer and healthier lives. I think it would be good for you to check some out for the "future". Your mom might become more interested.

Mrs, the night time battles and binges are always a problem. I plan my evening snack and look forward to it. I can't say that I never want to munch, but I do pretty well. I can savor small doses of chocolate or other treats. Like Freda, though, please don't bring fretos in the house!

Rosey, LOL at the hoarders reference. I have been worried lately about the hideous state of my bedroom. Ugh! but it will be a month or more before there is a free day on the schedule to deal with it. A major cleaning is on the horizon in my life!

Bobbi, so sorry about your headache. I think m'dear, that your days of hanging sheets on the line are gone. Feel better.

Lynn, we had a Monday snowstorm, barbque on saturday, sunday and tonight. Go figure! gotta love Montana. If the weather keeps up, I expect the asparagus to poke out of the ground soon.

Andi, good luck on the loss this week.

On the hanging sheets on the line.... I am using new products from scentsy. My friend sells it. It is non-allergenic and I can use it - even though my dgs cant be around any fragrance soaps, etc. My sheets smell like sugar cookies! Lovely.

DeeLee, yes, keep up the fight.

Gayle, how ya doing? So glad to see you walking.

Caddyk, I hope the house stuff is going well. We miss you. I loved your pictures.

Karenfl, here's hoping that you are figuring out the medication stuff. Be careful, ok?

Freda, my ds did all the cleanup that we didn't get done last year. I am sure itching to get out there but it is way too early here. I can't wait to have my cucumbers, tomatoes, and fresh stevia.... The best. The iris are out of the ground and I hope they don't freeze. I love them.

CarolSue, the thing that troubles me about all the supplement stuff is that there is always the newest one around the corner. I get tired of taking them although I am pretty good about the D and fish oil. I have also been taking biotin in a hopeless effort to stop my hair from falling out

Well, all, I am very tired and I need to wind down for a while. I am sorry for missing some, be back tomorrow.

Rie
Closed Thread