Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 05:22 PM   #361  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

LindaD! That seagull is hilarious! (And I was in a cranky mood). Thanx for the chuckle, and congrats on losing even MORE...you're really DOING this, girlfriend! Keep up the great progress!

Z
Old 09-27-2007, 09:55 PM   #362  

Hi everyone.. ill be absent for a few days..our loan was approved so off we go to find a new car ((((hugs)))) rosey
Old 09-28-2007, 07:15 AM   #363  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Hello all,

Just checking in. Have to attend an all day class for work today. Feels funny getting up and around this time of day (I am a night shift worker)

My son Jason stopped by and visited a bit last evening. Sara was here with the baby for a little while yesterday. I am enjoying so much being able to see them more often. Jason had the girl he has started seeing with him ~ she seems nice.

Next weekend, my other daughter Jennifer and her boyfriend are coming for a visit. That'll be the first time I get to meet him. My husband has met him ~ says he seems like a nice guy.

I met with a couple gentlemen last evening who have a "between jobs" ministry. We talked and they brain stormed and came up with a list and were putting together a list of names for me ~ possible contacts. They said that 84 % of people find their jobs through networking as opposed to classified adds or web sites.

Well, I'd better quit playing here and finish getting ready.

Have a good day Take care
Old 09-28-2007, 08:27 AM   #364  

Good morning,

DH & I went to St Petersburg for the day yesterday. Had a wonderful day, no thunder storms this time.

Linda D., that seagull story was so funny, I had a really good laugh. Thanks for sharing.

Rosey, hope you find a great car. Good luck!

Barb and oncethin, It's nice to meet the both of you. Hope you post often.

Ellen, how is your baby doing? Hope that he's doing well.

Theresa, is your job going any better for you?

Zoe, I found some lavash bread at Whole Foods Mkt. and I'm looking forward to making pizza.

Gayle, good luck with your networking. I hope you find something great.

Marylynn, I watched the Biggest Loser this week too. I can't believe they voted Jerry off. I can't get over his transformation after losing 88 lbs. after he went home. He looks amazing!

A big HELLO to those I unintentionally missed.

Ali
Old 09-28-2007, 09:16 AM   #365  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Good Morning, Golden Girls . . .

Was soooooo pround of myself for a little while yesterday -- did BOTH the garage shovelling and the mall crawling -- then went and ruined all that wonderful calorie burning by eating 600 calories of Cote d'Or, 86% cocoa, chocolate. Tasted wonderful.

So far today things are going right with my world -- did my morning routine of a few deep (make that shallow) knee bends and some minor upper body strength work; followed by protein pancaakes for breakfast. Felines were pretty good last night and created only minimal chaos to be tidied up this morning. Unfortuntely, it is raining to beat the band right now and is predicted to continue until about mid-day tomorrow. Guess you can't have everything.

Well, guess I'd better get some constructive stuff done . . . Have a great day, everybody. See you all later . . .
Old 09-28-2007, 09:37 AM   #366  
Lifetime Loser

Well I'm still here....our trip to Ohio is cancelled so I will post later and try to catch up with everyone. Decided the condo was a good buy but we really don't need the extra payments when we don't know how long it will take ours here in Florida to sell.....just financially not a good idea. There will be others.

So I told my dh no more looking on line at condos for sale in Ohio until we get a contract on this house......he is really stressing me out!

Got a perm yesterday, it looks good so far. But the true test is when I have to fix it myself.....we shall see. lol

Back later, Phyllis
Old 09-28-2007, 10:32 AM   #367  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Good Morning GG's!!
I thought that I would just take the time this morning to post before I get busy! The people from Arizona emailed me the beginning of the week and said they were planning on being here tomorrow (saturday) so I need to go to town this morning and get groceries and then come home and clean. I'm not sure what time to expect them (or to expect them at all) but just need to be ready! It gets frustrating to plan on someone being here and then they not show up! I know you know the feeling Phyllis!

Marylynn, I don't think it sounds stupid at all!! I talk to my girls all the time! Have you been to myspace? I have all kinds of pictures there of them. They are definetly spoiled little girls. Sissy seems to be doing a lot better with her leg now. I guess that Rimadyl helped a lot. It sure is fun trying to get her to take it slow and easy though!!

Phyllis, do you have pictures of the new hair style? We'd love to see it.

Linda (meowee) I really like those protein pancakes too! I had them for supper last night!! Sometimes breakfast just sounds good for supper! We don't have any rain yet but it is supposed to get windy today and tomorrow. All the Aspens are turning gold and they are saying that this will probably be the last weekend that they will look really good. The wind will probably get rid of most of the leaves tomorrow. So we should have lots of "Leaf Peepers" this weekend.

Linda D-- Loved the seagull story! I think they had that on the National News a little while back. Now I think that the customers have all gotten together and pay for his "snacks" so the owner just lets him keep doing it. I thought that was really neat!

Rosey, my brother and his family lived over on Kodiak Island for about a year quite awhile ago but they loved it. Their daughter had gym class the last class of the day and when she walked home her hair was totally froze! They had a Great Dane they named Kennai!

Well, I weighed this morning and it was 154 but I think I am going to wait until tomorrow to change the ticker and also the challenge thread. Maybe that extra pound will show again before I log it in for the end of the challenge!

Everybody I missed-- And I'll get back later. Have a good day!
Old 09-28-2007, 01:24 PM   #368  
LindaD

S/C/G: 220/194/145

Height: 5'4"

Wink

Hello GG's:

It's FRIDAY!!! As you know I love Fridays because it means I get two days to do what I please. Other than visiting a sick friend tomorrow, cleaning house, and going to church, I have no plans.

I love all types of music and particulary enjoy country. The more contemporary kind...not the twangy music. Anyway, I got tickets to see Brooks and Dunn and Alan Jackson on Oct 13. My girlfriend and I are planning to party that day. Should be fun.

I was going to ask if anyone has knees that crackle and pop. I noticed my right knee would crack when I got up or sat down about a year ago. It has got to the point that both of my knees crack when I squat, sit, etc. It kind of sounds like Rice Krispy Cereal. Is this because I'm getting older or maybe because of the weight I carry around? Will it go away? I don't know if anyone else can hear them but it's kind of embarassing and I could never sneak up on anyone. Tee-Hee

Rosey: Yeah! It's always fun to shop for a car especially when you have your approval.

Karen: Congratulations on the loss!!!

Here's a little laugh if you care to watch. I received this from a friend. It's a mother singing the William Tell Overture with words a mother would use to her children. Very funny!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_oc1j5NakY

Have a super duper weekend. Talk to you on Monday!
Old 09-28-2007, 02:34 PM   #369  

S/C/G: 215/215/145

Height: 5'6"

Still looking for a "program" or should I go it alone. I actually do know how to eat and have lost 50 in the past. My trouble time is in the evening and my weakness is the Soft spread Philly cream cheese (Salmon flavored).....OMG it is so good. I dig in with pretzels and can't eat just one. And the cream cheese is not fat free. I am starting to salivate now at work.
Old 09-28-2007, 03:24 PM   #370  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Linda . . . I that . . . I've copied it into my 'favourites' list.

Oncethin . . . Are you sure it isn't the salt you are after? That's one of those littles that get easier to stay away from as time passes without them.

Maybe you'd like to try my Mock Cheesecake Pudding. Mix FF cream cheese with an equal quantity of light Cool Whip and mix in a little of your favourite NSA flavoured syrup or something. I like it with cocoa powder and a little Splenda. Or, throw in an equal quantity of pureed pumpkin, add the Splenda, and some pumpkin pie seasoning.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:12 PM   #371  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Hi Everyone,

I'm still overwhelmed with the course I'm teaching. The Elderhostel workshop on genealogy was nice, but I don't have the time to apply any of the stuff I learned until this course is over.

My poor kitty had health problems today. We've been in and out of the vets' office. I'm hoping things are OK now. She had an impacted bowel. Right now, she's just VERY quiet - I always find that cats go into a kind of "hibernation-mode" when they're sick - just get VERY quiet.

Hopefully, I will have time to post more over the weekend. If not, this course is over on the 8th of October. I'll be back for real after that.

Lynn
Old 09-28-2007, 05:23 PM   #372  

Caffeine Plus Acetaminophen Toxic for Some

HealthDay

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

WEDNESDAY, Sept. 26 (HealthDay News) -- Very high doses of caffeine and acetaminophen (such as Tylenol), taken together, could lead to liver damage, researchers warn.

This combo produces a byproduct enzyme that's toxic to the organ, researchers from the University of Washington report.

This toxic twosome can occur not only by drinking caffeine while taking acetaminophen, the experts added, but also from large doses of painkillers that combine caffeine and acetaminophen. These painkillers are often used to treat migraines, menstrual discomfort and other conditions.

"Caffeine can interact with an enzyme that can form a toxic metabolite of acetaminophen in such a way that it increases the formation of that toxic metabolite," said lead researcher Sid Nelson, a professor of medicinal chemistry. "This can result in liver damage," he said.

In the study, Nelson's team tested the effects of acetaminophen and caffeine on E. coli bacteria. These bacteria had been genetically engineered to mimic a human enzyme in the liver that detoxifies many prescription and nonprescription drugs, explained the authors in a report in the Oct. 15 issue of the journal Chemical Research in Toxicology.

Nelson noted that it takes large qualities of caffeine to produce this reaction.

"Normally people wouldn't be ingesting that amount of caffeine," he said. "It would take 10 times the amount of caffeine found in a couple of cups of coffee," Nelson said.

His team found that caffeine triples the amount of a toxin called N-acetyl-p-benzoquinone imine (NAPQI) produced by the enzyme as it breaks down acetaminophen.

This same toxin is also produced during an interaction between alcohol and acetaminophen that's also well known to damage the liver.

In prior studies, Nelson's team had found that high doses of caffeine boosted liver damage in rats that had already suffered acetaminophen-linked liver damage.

The bacteria used in the study were exposed to doses of acetaminophen and caffeine far higher than most people would be exposed to, Nelson noted. It's not clear at what point such a mixture becomes toxic, he said.

Some people may be more vulnerable to this toxic interaction than others, Nelson said. They might include people who take certain antiepileptic medications, such as carbamazepine and phenobarbital, and people who use the alternative remedy St. John's Wort.

These drugs increase levels of the enzyme that produces NAPQI and may produce even more when mixed with acetaminophen and caffeine together, Nelson speculated.

In addition, because alcohol can boost NAPQI production, people who drink a lot may be at increased risk for this toxic interaction, the researcher said. The risk is also increased for people who take drugs that combine acetaminophen and caffeine, used to treat migraines, arthritis and other conditions.

Still, for most people, there's no reason to panic, since the chances of caffeine and acetaminophen becoming a toxic mixture remains small, Nelson said.

"Almost all people don't need to worry about taking caffeine with acetaminophen," Nelson said. Exceptions might be, " those [people] taking high does of caffeine, high doses of acetaminophen, who are possibly alcoholic and/or are epileptic and take certain anticonvulsive drugs," he said.
Old 09-29-2007, 07:10 AM   #373  
Ellabella

Here's an article that I think may make some of us feel better about our weigh-ins:

http://primusweb.com/fitnesspartner/...ight/scale.htm

Tonight is the big birthday "do" for my daughter and I'm taking her clothes shopping at 10:00 this morning....first out for coffee, then shopping, then an elegant lunch. The way it's planned, she'll think that's MY birthday celebration for her. THEN, her husband has told her that he and his parents are taking her our for dinner, but instead he will drive her to the REAL celebration, and she will, if all goes as planned, be totally and completely awed and surprised. <giggle>

Looking at her baby pictures - DD2 is putting together a movie/slideshow of DD3's life that she will set to music with some commentary from her - made me SO nostalgic! Looking at MYSELF in some of her growing up pictures made me DISGUSTED with myself...I was THIN!

Have a great weekend, GG's,

Z
Old 09-29-2007, 07:13 AM   #374  
Ellabella

Here's the article (Thanks, Ann72!)....the link didn't seem to work?

Why the Scale Lies

We’ve been told over an over again that daily weighing is unnecessary, yet many of us can’t resist peeking at that number every morning. If you just can’t bring yourself to toss the scale in the trash, you should definitely familiarize yourself with the factors that influence it’s readings. From water retention to glycogen storage and changes in lean body mass, daily weight fluctuations are normal. They are not indicators of your success or failure. Once you understand how these mechanisms work, you can free yourself from the daily battle with the bathroom scale.

Water makes up about 60% of total body mass. Normal fluctuations in the body’s water content can send scale-watchers into a tailspin if they don’t understand what’s happening. Two factors influencing water retention are water consumption and salt intake. Strange as it sounds, the less water you drink, the more of it your body retains. If you are even slightly dehydrated your body will hang onto it’s water supplies with a vengeance, possibly causing the number on the scale to inch upward. The solution is to drink plenty of water.

Excess salt (sodium) can also play a big role in water retention. A single teaspoon of salt contains over 2,000 mg of sodium. Generally, we should only eat between 1,000 and 3,000 mg of sodium a day, so it’s easy to go overboard. Sodium is a sneaky substance. You would expect it to be most highly concentrated in salty chips, nuts, and crackers. However, a food doesn’t have to taste salty to be loaded with sodium. A half cup of instant pudding actually contains nearly four times as much sodium as an ounce of salted nuts, 460 mg in the pudding versus 123 mg in the nuts. The more highly processed a food is, the more likely it is to have a high sodium content. That’s why, when it comes to eating, it’s wise to stick mainly to the basics: fruits, vegetables, lean meat, beans, and whole grains. Be sure to read the labels on canned foods, boxed mixes, and frozen dinners.

Women may also retain several pounds of water prior to menstruation. This is very common and the weight will likely disappear as quickly as it arrives. Pre-menstrual water-weight gain can be minimized by drinking plenty of water, maintaining an exercise program, and keeping high-sodium processed foods to a minimum.

Another factor that can influence the scale is glycogen. Think of glycogen as a fuel tank full of stored carbohydrate. Some glycogen is stored in the liver and some is stored the muscles themselves. This energy reserve weighs more than a pound and it’s packaged with 3-4 pounds of water when it’s stored. Your glycogen supply will shrink during the day if you fail to take in enough carbohydrates. As the glycogen supply shrinks you will experience a small imperceptible increase in appetite and your body will restore this fuel reserve along with it’s associated water. It’s normal to experience glycogen and water weight shifts of up to 2 pounds per day even with no changes in your calorie intake or activity level. These fluctuations have nothing to do with fat loss, although they can make for some unnecessarily dramatic weigh-ins if you’re prone to obsessing over the number on the scale.

Otherwise rational people also tend to forget about the actual weight of the food they eat. For this reason, it’s wise to weigh yourself first thing in the morning before you’ve had anything to eat or drink. Swallowing a bunch of food before you step on the scale is no different than putting a bunch of rocks in your pocket. The 5 pounds that you gain right after a huge dinner is not fat. It’s the actual weight of everything you’ve had to eat and drink. The added weight of the meal will be gone several hours later when you’ve finished digesting it.

Exercise physiologists tell us that in order to store one pound of fat, you need to eat 3,500 calories more than your body is able to burn. In other words, to actually store the above dinner as 5 pounds of fat, it would have to contain a whopping 17,500 calories. This is not likely, in fact it’s not humanly possible. So when the scale goes up 3 or 4 pounds overnight, rest easy, it’s likely to be water, glycogen, and the weight of your dinner. Keep in mind that the 3,500 calorie rule works in reverse also. In order to lose one pound of fat you need to burn 3,500 calories more than you take in. Generally, it’s only possible to lose 1-2 pounds of fat per week. When you follow a very low calorie diet that causes your weight to drop 10 pounds in 7 days, it’s physically impossible for all of that to be fat. What you’re really losing is water, glycogen, and muscle.

This brings us to the scale’s sneakiest attribute. It doesn’t just weigh fat. It weighs muscle, bone, water, internal organs and all. When you lose "weight," that doesn’t necessarily mean that you’ve lost fat. In fact, the scale has no way of telling you what you’ve lost (or gained). Losing muscle is nothing to celebrate. Muscle is a metabolically active tissue. The more muscle you have the more calories your body burns, even when you’re just sitting around. That’s one reason why a fit, active person is able to eat considerably more food than the dieter who is unwittingly destroying muscle tissue.

Robin Landis, author of "Body Fueling," compares fat and muscles to feathers and gold. One pound of fat is like a big fluffy, lumpy bunch of feathers, and one pound of muscle is small and valuable like a piece of gold. Obviously, you want to lose the dumpy, bulky feathers and keep the sleek beautiful gold. The problem with the scale is that it doesn’t differentiate between the two. It can’t tell you how much of your total body weight is lean tissue and how much is fat. There are several other measuring techniques that can accomplish this, although they vary in convenience, accuracy, and cost. Skin-fold calipers pinch and measure fat folds at various locations on the body, hydrostatic (or underwater) weighing involves exhaling all of the air from your lungs before being lowered into a tank of water, and bioelectrical impedance measures the degree to which your body fat impedes a mild electrical current.

If the thought of being pinched, dunked, or gently zapped just doesn’t appeal to you, don’t worry. The best measurement tool of all turns out to be your very own eyes. How do you look? How do you feel? How do your clothes fit? Are your rings looser? Do your muscles feel firmer? These are the true measurements of success. If you are exercising and eating right, don’t be discouraged by a small gain on the scale. Fluctuations are perfectly normal. Expect them to happen and take them in stride. It’s a matter of mind over scale.
Old 09-29-2007, 08:51 AM   #375  

Hi Everyone,

I just want you to know that I'm still reading your posts. Just can't steal the time to hang out with you. I'm missing you. Hopefully, when this !@#$%^%$#$@#!class is over (10/8), I'll be able to get my 3FC fix.

In the meantime,

Take care,

Lynn
Closed Thread