3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Age 50+ (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/age-50-217/)
-   -   THE GOLDEN GIRLS - September '07 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/age-50/121798-golden-girls-september-07-a.html)

meowee 09-01-2007 10:22 AM

THE GOLDEN GIRLS - September '07

Okay everybody . . . :wave: . . . another fresh new month and that means another fresh new start. Hopefully we are all going to enjoy a wonderful month absolutely full of great fun and much success.

~ Golden Girls~
We are about Fitness and Quality of Life after 50...
We are about Fun and Friendship after 50...
We are the Golden Girls...

There is Value in us
There is Power in us
There is Wisdom in us
And Laughter....
We are a rainbow of unique wonders,
There is love in us.
(poem by Dorothy Holmes)

Tell us a little about your life, family and goals. What keeps you motivated? What is the best thing that's happened to you since you past the 50 mark?
Friends laugh, cry and stand by you, we'll be that to you!

Hope to see you all soon . . . :grouphug:

littlered 09-01-2007 11:01 AM

Hi,
Just thought I would start the new month with wishes for all.
I hope this month brings Joy and Peace to Everyone. And lots of fun along with big losses on the scale.:hug:

well I see now... there is a new thread started...OPPS!
Well you can post on it. See ya there.:D

Karen31 09-01-2007 11:35 AM

A Little Giggle to Begin September!!

I was sitting in the waiting room for my first appointment with a new
dentist. I noticed his DDS diploma, which bore his full name. Suddenly,
I remembered that a tall, handsome, dark-haired boy with the same name
had been in my high school class some 50-odd years ago. Could he be the
same guy that I had a Secret crush on way back then?

Upon seeing him, however, I quickly discarded any such thought. This
balding, gray-haired man with the deeply lined face was way too old to
have been my classmate. Or could he?

After he examined my teeth, I asked him if he had attended Glendale High School.

"Yes! Yes, I did! I'm a Mustang!"

"When did you graduate?"

"in 1957. Why do you ask?"

"You were in my class!"

He looked at me closely. Then, that ugly, old, wrinkled, bald, fat, gray,
decrepit son-of-a-you-know-what asked ..

"what did you teach?"

ellabella 09-01-2007 11:50 AM

Just thought that this was particularly fitting for The Golden Girls -

Cool Women
They smile when they want to scream.
They sing when they want to cry.
They cry when they are happy and laugh when they are nervous.
They fight for what they believe in.
They stand up for injustice.
They don't take "no" for an answer when they believe there is a better solution.
They go without new shoes so their children can have them.
They go to the doctor with a frightened friend.
They love unconditionally.
They cry when their children excel and cheer when their friends get awards.
They are happy when they hear about a birth or a new marriage.
Their hearts break when a friend dies.
They have sorrow at the loss of a family member, yet they are strong when they think there is no strength left.
They know that a hug and a kiss can heal a broken heart.
Women come in all sizes, in all colors and shapes.
They'll drive, fly, walk, run or e-mail you to show how much they care about you.
The heart of a woman is what makes the world spin!
Women do more than just give birth. They bring joy and hope.
They give compassion and ideals.
They give moral support to their family and friends.
Women have a lot to say and a lot to give.

A CANDLE LOSES NOTHING BY LIGHTING ANOTHER CANDLE

Thanks to the above - Happy September one and all!

Z

ellabella 09-01-2007 11:52 AM

Karen, that one really made me giggle....

Z :lol:

ladyinweighting 09-01-2007 12:11 PM

Ooooooooops! I posted this on the August thread instead of the September thread.

Good Morning Everyone,

Hi Heidi, WOW that's a LOT of canning.

Hi Ali, you wrote, "Can't wait for cooler weather." I'm with you. I am NOT a hot-weather person. I'm looking forward to some temperature drops.

Hi Gayle, glad to hear you're getting time to spend with your dgs.

Hi Joanne, you wrote, "...gotta remember this is a marathon not a race." I know that intellectually, but sometimes when I get on that !@#$%^&* scale, my emotions take over.
I hope all goes well at the wedding.

Hi Theresa, you are now the 2nd friend who was brought up in foster care and is a warm, loving, and responsible adult. Some people wilt under adversity and some flower. You are one of the flowers.

Hi Zoe, thanks for the hug. I feel really terrible about what happened yesterday. This is only the 2nd time in my 62 years that I have ever had a fight with a friend - the other time was also about someone treating my dd badly.

Hi Lily, good to see you. Sorry to hear about the food poisoning. You wrote, "You know, I've decided that losing weight is almost another full time job." You are absolutely right. The planning, shopping, cooking, counting is a lot easier now that I am retired.

Hi Sue, You wrote, "I can go over things like that in my mind for hours-with a sense of disbelief it has happened." I SO regret that it happened. If I had it to do over, I never would have answered that 2nd phone call. However, that milk is spilled all over the floor.
About having temptations in the house - if you can avoid it, don't do it. When my dh was still alive, I used to buy stuff with the excuse that I was buying it for him. I'd end up eating it. Now that I'm alone, there is nothing in my house to tempt me. My biggest temptation is whether or not to have a second lo-carb yogurt with sugar-free peanutbutter!

Today I plan to go to the gym and do some cooking. I've got eggplants, spaghetti squash, and Jersey tomatoes to play with. Tomorrow I'm doing my Peace Walk and Monday, I'm going for a canal walk with my df. According to the weather forecast, it's supposed to be beautiful here this weekend.

Check back later,

Lynn

glynne 09-01-2007 12:34 PM

Hello all,

Hoping again ~ got an appointment for an interview for a position for a different job. Tuesday morning at 9:30 am. I am kind of excited and scared all at the same time. A job I have not done before, but maybe where my previous experience will be helpful.

Hope you all are having a good weekend.

Take care

floridarusty 09-01-2007 01:00 PM

Hi everyone, I posted this this morning on the Aug. thread.....

Good luck on that interview Gayle!

Ok,
for the second time today.....

This sure is a busy group....I love that!

We have been into DEEP cleaning this week and I am tired today. Still doing the 1 mile fast walk but don't have the energy to do 2 miles this week.

We will list our condo with photos on Craigslist this week-end and in the local paper next week and see what happens. I am not moving until Nov. at the earliest but we don't expect to sell that fast anyway.

Karen, good luck...still sending good vibes....I hope this is the one!!!! It sounds like you found a very good place for your son Karen and I can't begin to imagine how hard that was for all of you to let him go.

Lynn, sorry about your friend. I agree about the way it ended but I would take up for my DD too. I have only a handful of "true" friends I have kept over the years and a few on-line friends, they mean the world to me......your one of them!

Zoe, now I am back down to having lost 1 lb.....I need to stay off the dreaded scales, I know that. Glad your GS is getting tested and getting help early, that is the best time and I know he will do well, it may be a struggle at times but he has all of your family to support him. My youngest son has learning disabilities and had speech problems both caught at age 4. His speech is fine now after years of extra speech classes and he still has problems with comprehension and change in his life so this move he is about to make, even at age 31 is a big deal for him and us. He is very good looking and you would never know he has had problems. I am so proud of him as I know you are about your GS.

Theresa, yes, a chat would be nice. Might have to be on a week-end or evening with all our working ladies. Looks like we are about to begin our long journey back to Ohio. We will be in different parts of the state but maybe on a drive to Michigan we might meet up one day.

Sue, there are certain foods I can't keep in my house either but I think that is true with all of us or we wouldn't be here trying to lose weight! Your doing great, keep those sweets out of your home.

Lily, hi and I hope your feeling better now. I know, you go thru all that being sick and wouldn't you think we could at least keep that couple lbs. off! lol
Glad to see you posting.

Heidi, I use to can every year until we moved to our condo 6 yrs. ago. I don't know why I stopped...your making me want some tomatoes and pickles now....guess jam could be made with splenda, hummmmmmmm may do that one.

Ali, I can't wait to be back north and see the seasons change. Fall is my favorite time of year and we sure don't have the leaves changing on the palm trees down here in Florida!

Hi to Bobbi, Cat, Joanne, Marylynn,Linda, Linda D, Gayle, Trish & Lyn everyone have a good weekend. I know I've missed some of you, I'll catch you next time.

Everyone in the challenge good luck. Phyllis

aleka 09-01-2007 01:32 PM

Hello everyone,

I just had a long post and I lost it. :bomb: I hope I can remember what I said.

A friend & I managed to get a walk in this morning. We had to make up for the other day when we didn't walk.

Gayle, good luck with the interview on Tues. I'm sending good vibes your way. :goodvibes

Joanne, hope you're having a good time at the wedding and hope you had good luck carrying your luggage onto the plane. It's surprising how many people I meet who have grown up with Boston Terriers. Lacee is our 4th Boston. Many years ago we had 2 at the same time and vowed never to do it again, as they both died within 6 weeks of each other.

Lynn, I'm sorry about what happened between you and your longtime friend. You did the right thing defending your dd. I have read some of your previous posts and you sound like you're a very caring person. It's her loss.

Theresa, hope you get into your size 12 jeans soon. I think the last time I was a size 12 was in the 70's.

Lily, I hope you're feeling better. Having food poisoning is no fun.

Phyllis, I envy you moving up north. I'm from the New England area and I would go back in a heartbeat. All my family & friends are back in MA & NH and I do miss them. I also miss the change of seasons, fall has always been my favorite time of year. It's just not the same here in FL. Unfortunately, dh loves it down here and I'm having a hard time convincing him to move back. :(

Zoe, dh & I are pizza lovers also. Sometimes I nuke some Boca crumbles to thaw them out then put them on our pizza. I'll have to check to see if anyone down here carries Lavash bread. I do remember seeing it back home. I usually use either flat out wraps or a whole-wheat Boboli crust.

Hi to everyone I missed :wave:

Hope all of you have a great holiday weekend.
Ali

ladyinweighting 09-01-2007 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleka (Post 1837066)
Hello everyone,

I just had a long post and I lost it. :bomb: I hope I can remember what I said.Hope all of you have a great holiday weekend.
Ali

Hi ALi,

When I begin to post my message, I open up Notepad - a program in Accessories - you could do the same thing with Word. As I read everyone's post, I go back and forth between the Notepad window and the 3FC window. When I've read and responded to all posts, I copy and paste the text from Notepad window into the Message window in 3FC. This way, I don't have to rely on my increasingly failing memory, and I never lose my posts. I don't delete the Notepad text until I make sure that my message has posted.

Lynn

PS - thank you so much for the kind words.

aleka 09-01-2007 03:28 PM

OMG, Lynn, I never knew there was such a thing as Notepad and I acutally have it! :lol: I am computer illiterate. Thank you for telling me about it. I will definitely use it the next time. I just stuck a post-a-note on the computer to remind me. ;) It will make it so much easier responding to posts. We also have Word, but that has been giving us problems of late so I don't trust it.
Thanks again and you're welcome.
Ali

meowee 09-01-2007 04:43 PM

Here's another little option for you, ALI . . .

If you use the "advanced" button instead of "quick reply", you can simple scroll down the page below the reply box and you will find a full listing of the last 15 posts in the thread.

Have a great evening . . . :wave:

aleka 09-01-2007 04:56 PM

Meowee, thank you for letting me know about the "advanced" button. I never scroll down that far and I never knew it was there. :o See! I learned 2 new things today! :carrot: Hanging around with all of you I'm sure to become computer literate!:D
Thanks again,
Ali

EZMONEY 09-01-2007 07:36 PM

HI GALS ~ :)

Doing a quick check in, I will post and catch up sometime over the rest of the week-end.

I just wanted to update, for those that have been praying, for my :love: daughter in law's :love: father. He came out of the coma this morning and although confused, is doing well. He recognizes his family, is not talking, but is as healthy as possible for now. The hospital will release him to re-hab at home next week if he continues to progress.

Thanks again for your prayers.

Have a great Sunday ladies!

Karen31 09-01-2007 08:05 PM

Gary, That is Wonderful News! We will be sure to keep him and the family in our Prayers. Please keep us updated.