Closed Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 02:23 PM   #346  

Morning everyone..another fall day here and have to run errands..u all expressed an interest in alaska and yes it is beautiful,it snows by haloween and springs comes the end of april,,we have darkness in the winter months and in the summer it stays light out all night..we live in a rural area and i have moose graze in my yard and an ocasional bear and we see eagles all the time..my dh hunts every year at his cabin so we eat moose and salmon(im not crazy about salmon tho would rather have tuna) we live on the kenai penninsula south of anchorage..we have mountains and ocean surrounding us..the temps are not to bad in the winter tho sometimes we get below zero weather and blizards,in the summer a hot day is in the 70,s in the fall it rains alot..we live in a log home that we built ourselves.. my dh is a retired oil refinery worker and i did home day care for 20+ yrs..im crazy about doing crafts.. that about sums it up( gee i sound like atravel log)..we are g oing to anchorage this weekend to get a new car..ill try and remember my camera to take a few pitures for u all..do any of u watch the biggest looser? my favorite person got booted last night i tried those new ziplock steaming bags last night.. they worked great and so easy..hope u all have a great day.Ellen hope your puppy is ok..ttfn rosey

Last edited by akrosey49; 09-26-2007 at 02:23 PM.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:25 PM   #347  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

New Drug Makes Weight Loss Safer, Study Suggests
Science Daily — More than 60 percent of American women are overweight, with nearly a third falling into the category of obese and at greater risk of cancer, heart disease and diabetes. Until now, there has been no safe, long-term medical remedy that tackles unwanted weight gain.

Dr. Nir Barak of Tel Aviv University's Sackler School of Medicine has developed what could be a new weight-loss wonder drug. In conjunction with the drug company Obecure, Dr. Barak developed a new formulation called HistaleanTM, based on betahistine, an approved drug marketed worldwide for the treatment of vertigo. Betahistine has been available to health authorities for over 30 years.
Betahistine is believed to block receptors in the brain -- the H1 and H3 receptors -- which are connected to one's sense of fullness and desire to eat fatty foods. It has an excellent safety profile and has been used for treatment by more than 100 million patients suffering from vertigo and dizziness in Canada and Europe.
The repurposed pill, Histalean, has been found to quell the desire to consume fatty foods, and the effects have been most pronounced in women.
According to the U.S. Center for Disease Control, about 32% of adult American women under 54 (about 25 million women) suffer from obesity. "Our new results suggest a strong gender-and-age-effect and support the potential of the drug as a breakthrough anti-obesity agent in women 50 years old or less," confirmed Dr. Yaffa Beck, Obecure's CEO.
According to some estimates, obesity results in thousands of deaths a year and accounts for $117 billion in U.S. health care expenses annually. Clearly, a breakthrough in this area will not only make women look and feel better, but it could save their lives as well.
A recent Phase II clinical trial of the new drug in the U.S. suggests that women under the age of 50 who took Histalean for 12 weeks lost 7 times the weight of those taking a placebo. What's most important to the researchers involved is that none of the 281 patients, males and females aged 18-65, complained of any serious side effects.
The trial, completed this August, was supervised by U.S. weight-loss guru Dr. Robert Kushner. The women who took the pill reported, "It wasn't hard." "I wasn't thinking about food." "I was content."
Dr. Barak explains why this is good news, "All the drugs in the diet pill market today have serious side effects. They may help a woman lose weight, but with that weight loss comes all sorts of bad things like depression and even suicide. Safety issues are a real concern for the FDA. But because this new drug has already been proven safe for other indications, we think Histalean has real blockbuster potential."
The recent results were based on a double-blind, placebo-controlled study on people with a Body Mass Index ranging from 30 to 40. (A BMI of 30 and above indicate obesity.) The study was conducted at 19 investigation sites across the U.S. over a 12 week treatment period. The subgroup of high-dose Histalean-treated women lost an average of 2.91% of their weight versus placebo group which lost only 0.4 %.
Dr. Barak's drug is also expected to compete for the $28 billion market of cholesterol-reducing drugs such as Lipitor. It could also be used in parallel with anti-psychotic drugs, which have unwanted side effects of extreme weight gain among mental health patients.
Note: This story has been adapted from a news release issued by Tel Aviv University.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:06 PM   #348  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Good article LYNN . . . thank you for posting it.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:58 PM   #349  
Starting over 11/03/16

S/C/G: 325/Ticker/299

Height: 5' 4"

Thanks for the warm welcome Ali!
Old 09-27-2007, 05:58 AM   #350  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Good Morning GGs . . .

Up way to early this morning -- had my coffee -- wondering what to do next. At least the scale is still safely in the corner having his little 'time-out'. So I can't even rant about him. Exercise on Thursday is usually a "shop 'til you drop" with my buddy LouLou; but today it just might be "clean the garage" instead. Will see how things feel once I find out what the weather is going to be like. It is only now starting to get light out there.

Hope you all have great plans for the day . . . see you later . . .
Old 09-27-2007, 06:06 AM   #351  
ann

S/C/G: 179/179/140

Height: 5'4"

Good morning Ladies

Lynn, What a interesting article. Thanks.

I have lost another pound, now down to 175.
I really don't feel any smaller though, maybe anoither five will tell the difference.

Having company today, my brother and sister in law, so have to watch my diet.
Hi to everyone, Happy Thursday,
Ann
Old 09-27-2007, 09:25 AM   #352  
Lifetime Loser

Had a nice trip to Winter Haven (2 hrs. north of us) to visit with my MIL in assisted living....she is such a wonderful woman and LOVES being there and not having to do any work! She does well with her computer and also is now the "official" greeting card maker for all the new people and everyones birthdays so that keeps her very busy. We are so happy she has adjusted well.

I'm getting a perm/hair cut today as it looks like we are heading for Ohio on Saturday to look at a "steal". It still makes me very nervous at the though of owning two places but I am hoping the leaves are turned and at least I can see that on the 2400 mile round trip drive.

A big welcome to all the new members.....we are growing by leaps and bounds.

I will try to do individual posts later but have a lot to do today and tomorrow to get ready to leave bright and early Saturday.....Hi to everyone!

Phyllis
Old 09-27-2007, 10:33 AM   #353  

S/C/G: 235/ticker/140

Height: 5-10

Happy Thursday!

Interesting article Lynn, keep 'em coming. When I see new information about a new drug my first questions were who funded the research & who stands to profit. Certainly would be good if there was real help out there for real people. It boggles my mind to see how much profit can be made in the big boy world from obesity, cancer & heart disease. Oops, sorry .... I sidetracked again. Hope all is well for you!

Phyllis have a terrific trip! I have to agree that maybe your condo will sell once the snowbirds get to Florida. Your MIL sounds like a joy. It's always a blessing when we get wonderful family members through marriage, kind of like a bonus.

Ellen how's your puppy? Hope all is well soon.

Congratulations on the additional pound Ann!

Welcome Barb! You've found a wonderful place, get busy posting so we can get to know you!

Meowee-Linda.... did I read that right? You're giving insulin injections to your cat? If I were a cat I think I'd want to live at your house.... it sounds perfect.

Karen.... Sissy? How is she? This sounds stupid (because it is) but I sat down & told my 'boys' about your 'girls' and they just cocked their head & smiled. The only real words they seem to understand is 'goodie', 'out' & 'no'. I do hope she's feeling better.

Busy day today. Someone contacted me wanting me to sell a set of dishes on consignment.... don't know a thing about dish history. Will be studying & probably referring to a bigger seller than me. On the Jillian Michaels workout plan and amazed I can still move. It's beyond tough, I'm always surprised when I've finished & it was actually completed.

Saw Biggest Loser again this week and now think the Blue Team is insane for voting off the 62 year old very focused older guy. Petty squabbles really do make people look bad. Nice to see how he turned out in the end though.

Enough, gotta get some work done. Everyone take care & have a wonderful day!

Marylynn
Old 09-27-2007, 11:52 AM   #354  
Joanne

S/C/G: 267/250/170

Height: 5'7"

Morning GOLDEN GIRLS another busy day in paradise LOL. I am now officially upset with myself and the weight I have put on. I refuse to step on the scale but I can tell by my clothes I am sure since my "problems" began I have put on between 5 - 10 pounds. I am doing my best to eat well but not being able to move is creating this additional poundage -- sucks!!!

Well two things today -- I am hopefully going to be able to do my blood donation (last time I was anemic) and this time they may reject me because I am not feeling 100%. Aside from waiting for the results of last weeks biopsy I am suffering from a very very sore left arm (ya ya I know one complaint after another). I am hoping that some massage therapy tonight will fix that up. It means a lot to me to be able to donate and we do burn up over 600 calories for a donation (always look on the positive side).

Hope everyone else is doing well -- I need to keep coming here and getting the good vibes because when I do get back after our vacation next week I should be getting back to my lunch time workout classes -- eating right and losing something - ANYTHING -- before we go to Maui in January.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:58 AM   #355  

S/C/G: 215/215/145

Height: 5'6"

Hi,
I'm a new user and think the Golden Girls may just be the right fit. I'm 55 years old and have posted today under the 50+ site. How does one get to the Golden Girls? Is posting under 50+ all that is needed? I seem to be having problems getting around in the 3FC site but would like to compose a Introductory posting so everyone can get to know me. Any help would be appreciated. I am "oncethin."
Old 09-27-2007, 01:18 PM   #356  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Hello oncethin And to the Golden Girls Here is a link to the Introductions thread and we hope you come and post often with us. We look forward to getting to know you too!
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=117547

I was just popping in for a minute but need to get busy for now. I'll be back afterwhile to say Hello to everyone.

Have A great Day!
Old 09-27-2007, 02:04 PM   #357  
LindaD

S/C/G: 220/194/145

Good Morning:

I have to go to the dentist today. Yuk! As you may have figured out I enjoy exercise videos and pick them up whenever I find one that's a little different than the run-of-the-mill variety. Do you remember Jack LaLane? He's 92 I believe and he looks fantastic. His wife is 82 and she doesn't look it at all. I ordered a Jack LaLane video. It's from the old 'Jack LaLane Show'. One is face exercises and another is chair exercises that work all muscles from head to toe using a towel or band. I'm planning to try them out tonight. Lost another pound. Wheeeee!

Akrosey49: Alaska sounds beautiful. Love the fall colors. A 36 pound loss is awesome. Congratulations! You must be doing something right.

Karen: I'm so happy Sissy is okay and it's was a minor injury.

Lyn: Sounds like you're having some CA weather. At least you get to keep a garden for a while longer.

Ellen: I am so sorry about your baby. I hope there is something that can be done and he's back home soon.

Zoe: Your daughter will love the 'life' slide show. What a great mommy you are. Lowering your points should compensate for the exercise. Good luck!

Theresa: Reading about your job made me tired. Could you possible ask your boss if you could skip the smoke break and leave 15 minutes earlier? I would certainly discuss the hours since they aren't what you originally were assigned. Good luck to you.

Barb and oncethin: Glad to meet you both!

Phyllis: Have a safe trip.

Lynn: Have a good time.

Linda: Sending you some wishes.

Joanne: You can do this. Hang in there.

I'm at work so I've got to get busy again. Hello to all the ladies I missed.

Last edited by LindaD; 09-27-2007 at 02:05 PM.
Old 09-27-2007, 02:09 PM   #358  
LindaD

This seagull is so funny and I thought I'd share it with you.

http://netter.wordpress.com/2007/09/...-into-a-store/

Last edited by LindaD; 09-27-2007 at 02:39 PM.
Old 09-27-2007, 03:41 PM   #359  
lynard

S/C/G: 214/206/180

Height: 5'9"

Default Thanks for the giggles

LindaD - my office mate and I just laughed our heads off at that one...thanks

Lyn
Old 09-27-2007, 04:17 PM   #360  
LindaD

An inspirational movie on weight loss. (Several are shown on the page....the second one is called Light Lean Healthy Being). My friend says there was an article in Woman's World about this and if you watch it twice a day it can help put your mind in a place where you begin to change. I don't know if that is true or not but it is worth watching.

http://www.makeadifference.com/movies/index.htm

Closed Thread