Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 07:18 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Default Doin' It The Old Fashioned Way-Calorie Counting! #19

Welcome everyone!

This group (Doin' It The Old Fashioned Way) is the longest running chat thread for calorie counters here at 3FC...it has been going for 5 years now!!!

The primary goal of this group is to lose weight, and to maintain that loss, through limiting our calorie intake and making healthier choices...and committing to regular exercise.

No pills, no gadgets, no hard to live with plans that completely restrict or banish any particular food groups. Calorie Counting is basically a way that we can all live with for the rest of our lives, and that means a much better chance for lifetime maintenance of our new, healthier weights! It is a lifestyle change, and not a "diet".

I would like to start out the thread by posting short "introductions" (as has always been the tradition) so that newbies can get to know us. So, let's introduce ourselves to everyone-and get down to business!

Aphil

Old 06-23-2006, 09:31 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 189/*Ticker*/150

Height: 5'6

Hi, Everyone. Ive been around for a few weeks. Sort of fell off after seeing inches lost. Took more cheat days than planned. But now im back and on track. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how long it took for them to see results whether they be inches lost or SV. Thanks
Old 06-23-2006, 10:54 AM   #3  

The inches lost really depends a lot on your exercise. If you are doing calorie counting alone, you are going to most likely have your inches lost go slower-than if you were combining proper diet with exercise as well. Fitness will make those inches diappear faster.
Old 06-23-2006, 11:18 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Hi everyone! I started on this weight loss/lifestyle change in January after 5 months of assuming I'd lose weight from a less stressful life, but instead I gained 7 pounds.

I had quit my job in August in anticipation of going to work with my DH in his construction business. I had a very stressful job at our local hospital and I was looking for a way out. After I quit, I devoted myself to my kids and their various activities, but while they were at school, I walked the dogs. I assumed I was doing the right thing, but those darn holidays came and with them came a lot of family to visit, and all those big meals I cooked. Well, I gained 7 pounds.

I was going to start working in January, but the office manager at the office wanted me to wait until April (but they put me on the payroll anyway--I couldn't argue with that!!). Suddenly I felt like I'd been given a reprieve. I had to get on track and lose that weight. I really started walking--4+ miles per day/5 days a week, at a fast pace. I live in a hilly area, so there was a lot of climbing, also. I started to lose. After a few weeks, I hit a standstill and I found 3FC. I got a lot of good advice and started counting calories and lost some more.

Just a few weeks ago, I read the success story of Glory87 and was totally inspired. I went and bought the book she recommended and am trying to incorporate more whole foods into my diet. Yes, I still have to venture into the interior of the grocery store from time to time, but most of my purchases are from the perimeter. My DD is also trying to lose weight this summer, as is my DH, so we're all in this together. So far my DS is not complaining (but we'll see about that!).

As for my history, when my DS was born 11 1/2 years ago, I remember sitting and nursing him in the living room. We had a wall covered in mirror, and I saw myself as a roly-poly fattie. After he was weaned, I went on a diet and lost over 30 pounds. I got down to 128 and felt wonderful. I kept that weight off for over 5 years. But then it crept back on, and last summer I realized I had grown back to 165 which is what I weighed in college and when I got married and when I got pregnant with my DD (now 15 1/2). At the time I got pregnant with my DD, I had just started a diet and I had measured all my body parts. When I got pregnant, I tucked the measurements into my pregnancy books and I didn't look at them again until I got pregnant with my son. I realized when #2 pregnancy came, that I was exactly where I had been 4 years earlier. I had been wanting to diet then. I didn't get to it after the first birth, so I put it in my head that it would be different this time. I set a goal during pregnancy #2 and I made that goal.

So, 11 years later and the weight was back on. My doctor had been telling me for years to drop 10 pounds. He made it sound so easy (walk around the block every day, don't eat "white"). Well, that's what I did last fall, and I gained 7 pounds. So buckling down in January, finding 3FC in February, going back to work in April, discovering the 14 superfoods in June, and counting calories has really helped me. I still have a few pounds to go. But with the help of my family I think i'll get there. I'm in no hurry--some advice I got this spring was to give yourself a year to accomplish the goal. I'm over 1/2 way there and I still have many months to go.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:44 AM   #5  
No Excuses~Better Choices

S/C/G: 14st 6lb/13st 12lb/10st 5lb

Height: 5'2"

Hi Everyone,

I joined in on this thread last week. I'm married with two teenagers ... son 17yo ... and daughter 14yo. Been struggling with my weight for 17 years ... kids have a lot to answer for! Before kids I didn't really have a problem, although looking back, throughout my teens and early 20's I was always trying out new "diets" to see if I could lose a few extra pounds ... even though now I realise that I didn't have any "extras" to lose! ... What I wouldn't give to have that figure back now! In a nutshell, that's me!

Weighed-in this morning and I'm down to 180lbs ... which means a loss this week of 3lbs.

Nichola
Old 06-26-2006, 08:55 AM   #6  

Well, for those who don't know me...here is my intro:

I am a 30 year old married mother of 2 (soon to be 3!). My husband is an engineer, and I am a belly dance performer and instructor. (I have been dancing for 5, performing for 4, and instructing for almost 2.) I am also a costume designer/maker and specialize in making belly dance costumes, and making screen accurate movie replica costumes.

We have a daughter, Jasmine, who is almost 8, a son, Raiden, who is 5, and I am currently (as of late June '06) almost 31 weeks pregnant out of 40-so about a week shy of 7 months pregnant with our second son/third and last child.

I have been here at 3FC for about 5 years now as well, and I have been a moderator for probably 3-4 years out of that time. When I started, there were a lot of sections and subforums for Atkins, Weight Watchers, and other large plans that were popular...but at the time calorie counting was sort of "out"...as in a lot of people were doing structured plans that took calorie intake into consideration (WW, LAWL, Body For Life, etc. are all reduced calorie, for instance...) but no one at the time here was simply "calorie counting". Calorie counting with diet and exercise was the only thing that has ever worked for me...so I titled a thread "Doin' It The Old Fashioned Way" to see if there was anyone else out there still calorie counting. I was very pleased to know that there still were...and still are!!!

I normally put on 50-60 pounds with each pregnancy, but this time I am still calorie counting and staying with exercise-although some of it has had to be modified. I am aiming to put on 30-40 pounds this time around by the time I deliver, rather than the usual 50-60. So far I look like I am going to be in that target range. I am also a gestational diabetic, which means I am diabetic while pregnant-so there are dietary issues and complications I have to deal with concerning that-but that is another story.

I was aiming for 2000 calories the first trimester/three months of pregnancy...and I aim for 2000-24000 for the remainder of the pregnancy. This will allow for proper nutrition of me and the baby, allow the proper weight gain and keep my blood sugar in line, but avoid the excess weight gain.

FYI-I successfully went from 200 pounds to my goal of 150-155 after the birth of my daughter with calorie counting and exercise...and maintained that loss until becoming pregnant with my son. After his birth, I went from 211 down to a very fit 164 and held that before becoming pregnant with this one. I am hoping to continue those successes and be a lifetime maintainer (since this is our last baby!) after this one is born.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:44 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 196/163/155

Height: 5'10"

Hello all,

I joined 3FC in May of this year and, like most of us, have found a couple forums I call "home." Calorie Counters was the first place I started posting (I think!) and is definitely how I identify myself. I also participate in the Exercise!, Support, and Living Maintenance forums.

I've lost about 30 pounds since January of this year--all of it strictly through calorie counting. I firmly believe that weight loss is all about math. Calories in, energy expended out. I also firmly believe that a healthy diet includes all of the food groups-- and so calorie counting (or calorie reduction) just seems to make the most sense.

I've recently added exercise to my daily life-- and this is huge for me, because I'm a couch potato by nature. I'm walking a lot (goal of 75 miles for this month), doing walk/run intervals three times a week, and joined Curves.

Right now I'm working on re-evaluating my goal weight. I've been stuck right around 166 forever (okay-- for weeks, but it feels like years!) and I'm wondering if, in fact, that's the weight I'm supposed to be. I'm having trouble letting go of my goal of 155, though, so I've decided to live with my current weight over the summer while I get used to my (very new for me) exercise routine. And who knows? Maybe once my body adjusts the pounds will start coming off again... or maybe I'll find that this is the new me. Either way, I'm going to stop fretting about it.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:16 AM   #8  

Height: 5'5"

OK, I guess I will post a little about myself.

I am 27years old and married to a UPS man(hence the name). We have three children. Son, just turned 6yrs, daughter 4 1/2yrs and my baby girl just turned 3yrs. I have always pictured my self as big, but as I look back on my life I was just not very fit.

As you can see my children are all close together, so I gained most of my weight from the pregnancies, and I am an oddball here, because I gained while nursing. I really started this change about 2yrs ago, but really buckled down a year ago. In that time we have discovered that I am hypothyroid. We are still working on the meds, to help with the symptoms. Because of this losing weight has been a very difficult process.

I had joined a place similar to Curves, but I was not losing. I was there for four months, and I did not lose a single pound and I only lost 1/2 inch from my arm. I had been using the Firm tapes, but when DH's hours got moved The kiddies just kept getting in my way. I even tried getting up early, but it never failed that one of them would wake up and get under foot-literally. I finally talked DH into joining a gym, so we looked around, and I was very happy with Lifetime Fitness. THey have an excellent childcare center, and that was something that was very important to me. Since we started in March I have lost 3-4 pounds, and several inches. I have always been a calorie counter, most of the other plans are too rigid, and I think that if you take something out of your diet and lose weight, that once you start adding it back in, you will just gain back the weight. ANd my Mom has been a huge inspiration. At my wedding she weighed around 260lbs and she started calorie counting and lost 90lbs, then started exercising at Curves and lost another 15lbs. I don't think I could do this without the support of my family and the Wonderful Ladies here at 3FC.

I joined 3FatChicks a couple of years ago, but I didn not start posting and coming here regularly until Oct. of 2005.
Old 06-27-2006, 06:06 PM   #9  
Susan hockeyfan7

Hi! I'm 43, married, no kids. I started gaining weight out of high school and have done every plan out there multiple times. I did the Atkins plan 6 years ago and lost 100 lbs, but I can't stick to that for the rest of my life. So I started calorie counting last May and have lost the next 45. I have somewhere between 95 and 100 more to go depending on where I decide my goal weight is going to be.

I go to my gym at work every morning M-F. We get free personal training and nutrition counseling, so it's nice. We have a certified nutritionist as well as the personal trainers.

I have Celiac disease, so I have to eliminate any foods containing wheat, barley or rye from my diet. I can have oats, but only about once a week and they have to be organic. Makes eating interesting some times and really easy others when you have no choice but to turn down the pie, cookies, cakes, donuts, etc.
Old 06-27-2006, 11:23 PM   #10  

Height: 5'6"

Hi all, I'm new to this forum. Just started posting at the board a few weeks ago, lurked for awhile before that. Someone suggested this area for calorie counters in another forum, and so I thought I'd come read what was over here. I am Melody, I'm 38, a divorced Mother of 3...Jordan my oldest son is 15, my daughter Emma is 8, and my son Noah is 5. I work as an RN. I have been overweight my whole life, was put on my first diet when I was 2 if that says anything. I have lost weight before, but it was always by starving myself, I got down to 170-175 before I got married by eating 400 to 600 calories a day, so of course it all came back eventually and then some. I started this plan at the beginning of April, I am counting calories, exercising, and working hard to get in my water every day. I keep my calories from 1200 to 1600 calories a day. I have lost 26 pounds in the 3 months (6.5 pounds was in the first week, so it's been about 6 to 8 pounds a month since then). Like others here, I know that if I am going to maintain anything at all, it has to include regular foods and be a bit flexible. I have switched to whole grains and increased my protein, fruits and veggies, but I want the flexibility that I can stay on my plan even if I choose to have a cookie or a bit of Birthday cake once a month if I count it in my calories. Anyway, my goal is to try to get to my goal weight by my 40th Birthday which is 121 more pounds in a year and a half, so who knows whether I will make it or not, but even if I'm not all the way there hopefully I'll be a lot closer than I am now or then I was when I started.
Old 06-30-2006, 03:14 PM   #11  
Living Now!

S/C/G: 210/190/120

Default I'm logging EVERYTHING!!!

Hi,
My name is Rowan. I like this thread. I have been reading here and other threads for two days. What appeals to me is the approach. I know I got this way{ FAT} by taking in way too many calories and not enough activity.

I have a crazy life!!! I will give you all the basics and it wont seem too crazy. I have been married now for 18 years. My DH is a pilot and is away alot so I dont have the worry of cooking seperate meals etc. I have 3 children 1 girl and 2 boys ages 15, 6 and 3.

I have been on a million diets. Lost lots of weight gained it all and more back. I have several motivating factors to lose this weight. The first and foremost is that the weight was starting to make me disapear. I stayed in more, I did'nt want to move alot in front of others becaue I felt so conspicous. 2nd My kids. This weight was effecting my energy level badly and my daughter who is just so beautiful inside and out started gaining weight rapidly and I was not providing a good model for her.

One more quick thing is I live in a developing country so eating whole foods {the way to go} Is not too hard but there are no low cal options, reduced fat, sugar prepared foods and things like that.

I wish you all the best to keep on and I hope that I can be of help to you all and you to me. Have an awesome day. PS How many calories should I be looking at a day?
Old 07-01-2006, 12:58 AM   #12  

Hi Everyone,

I've not been having a very good week this week ... my cravings have been out of control, perhaps it's due to TOM? Anyway, I'm not going to let this beat me, I'll keep persevering and eventually I know I'll get to where I want to be!

Hi Rowan, we have a bit in common, I've been married for 19years, with two teenagers, living overseas (HK), originally from the UK (where are you originally from?) with a hubby who sometimes works away. I notice from your profile that we have the same occupation, and our current weight is similar. Although HK isn't a 'developing country', I still have problems when I do my food shopping ... very few low cal/low fat/low sugar options ... and any that I do occasionally come across are imported from the UK/US/OZ and are astronomical prices!! Consequently, most of my cooking has to be done from scratch using 'whole' foods, which can sometimes be a bit of a challenge. Anyway, I look forward to getting to know you

Hi to all the other 'newbies' Look forward to getting to know you all too

Nichola
Old 07-01-2006, 04:43 AM   #13  
Living Now!

S/C/G: 210/190/120

Default Hey Hong Kong!

Hi Hong Kong,
Well I have to say when I read your profile I was interested in getting to know you too! We do have a lot in common. I am from Seattle in Washington state. I have lived in Sudan for 13 years. Things have really improved here but just like HK the imported goods here are outrageous. Like $15 for a liitle chunk of cheddar cheese, $12 for a small box of mueseli. What is that about 5 pounds? I think in the US it would cost me about $3!!

Do you use a scale for weighing out your foods? Especially for meat, fish and chicken.I do not own a scale so I have been comparing portions to the size of a domino [cheese] the palm of my hand {meat} I use measuring cups for everything else. How do you manage oil? Is it even worth it!!!??

confession! I hate to exercise. I know this has alot to do with the weight I am carrying and it will get better. My fav exercise is swimming.

I imagine the veggies where you live are fantastic. Try to take full atvantage of that!

Have a fantastic day and thanks for writing!
Old 07-03-2006, 02:47 AM   #14  

Hi Rowan,

Wow, 13 years in Sudan, was that your first overseas posting? We've been in HK for 5 years now, and before that we lived in Brunei for 3 years. We did go back to the UK for a little while in between the two but we hated it (missed the expat lifestyle too much!) so here we are in HK

I thought our food prices were expensive but it sounds like they are much higher where you are. Yes, the variety of veggies here are fantastic, and the good thing is that they are much cheaper than buying unusual Asian veggies in the UK supermarkets ... and yes, I should make more use of them!

I do use scales to weigh out my food (when I'm being a good girl! ), and it's amazing what a difference it makes to my weight loss ... when I weigh and write it down I always have a good week ... but when I'm being lazy and 'guestimate' I always end up gaining! ... Now why can't I be a good girl all the time?!

As far as oil is concerned, I tend to use mostly olive oil and measure it out with a measuring spoon (when I'm being a good girl )

Exercise ... I hate it too!! But I know I need to do something about it ... my hubby keeps telling me that if I started to exercise the weight would drop of me ... I'm always full of good intentions to start walking regularly every day, but right now it's so hot here that the thought of it fills me with dread! Swimming I don't mind, especially when it's so hot ... in fact, that's where I'm heading right now

Have a good week everyone!

Nichola
Old 07-03-2006, 07:50 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 184/183/140

Height: 5'3"

Hello ladies,

I'm glad to see there is a discussion group for those of us who are counting. I had success about 4 years ago losing weight this way and so I decided to can the crap of fad diets and do the way that has worked for me in the past. but, I get such mixed information about how many calories to actually eat....what are your numbers???

I am 26, married with one daughter 7 months old. When I got married I weighed 135 lbs, and 3 1/2 years later (and one baby) I'm 184. My DH is amazing and tells me I look wonderful, beautiful, etc but I KNOW I can do better. The weight is like glue though...it just won't budge.

I'm looking forward to chatting with all of you

Closed Thread