Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 02:33 AM   #196  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

Hi all, I am new to 3FC and to any kind of dieting. I used to work more physical jobs and just worked off whatever I ate. I've been working at home since 98, though, and the scale has been creeping up about 10 lbs a year, because I was still eating like I always did, but was doing less and less physically demanding work. So, here I am, trying to figure something out to lose the weight. The whole nutrition/weight loss thing seems so confusing, so I'm starting with calorie counting and keeping a food log, and just trying to "eat less, do more", which is all I've figured out so far, lol. Today was my first day, and I'm about ready for bed, so it looks like my total for today will be 2024, which isn't great compared to what I've read, but is a big improvement for me. Plus, for the first time in my life, I think, I actually drank 64 ounces of plain water in one day.

No real exercise today (too much time researching nutrition and fitness goals on the computer), but meeting a friend for dance skating practice tomorrow afternoon, which should be a good workout, then regular skating session at night. Right now I'm skating 3 days a week, but am looking into some other types of exercise that I can get motivated to do. I'm thinking to start with dusting off the old bike, but I'd like to try running whenever I can afford a good pair of shoes, and might use the Couch to 5k plan to give that a shot, so I don't injure myself. A ymca membership is definitely on the list for the tax refund this year, as I promised my son...he wants to take swimming lessons, and I want to get into some type of weight training, which I did many years ago and really enjoyed.

I just wanted to get on here and get started, so I have some place to be accountable. I have one challenge already, and that is my sister who is already trying to sabotage my efforts with a lot of negative "you're probably going to fail" type comments, but I just plan to ignore her as much as possible and keep my fitness goals in mind. My other two sisters have been very positive and supportive. I actually felt great today, just knowing I was keeping track and doing something to get started. A friend of mine helped me come up with some ideas on what to eat and how much, so that helped a lot.

I've really enjoyed reading all of your posts and the progress you all have made is really inspirational to a beginner like me!

Cheryl
Old 02-25-2007, 08:25 AM   #197  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Hi Cheryl-welcome!!!

You averaged around 2000, which is probably a lot better than you were doing. At your weight, and being active, you could probably see some loss at around 1800 per day-so you are making a great start!

Lisi-I don't do Fitday, either. I travel too much, camp in the summer, and don't have time to log onto the computer every time I eat. I use a regular notebook, and log my exercise, water, food, etc. into it...and I take it in my purse when I travel.

I have been 100% on plan the past two days!!! Yippee!

I have a private dance lesson to teach here at 11, and I am hoping to get in some treadmill after that.

Aphil
Old 02-25-2007, 03:54 PM   #198  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphil View Post
Hi Cheryl-welcome!!!

You averaged around 2000, which is probably a lot better than you were doing. At your weight, and being active, you could probably see some loss at around 1800 per day-so you are making a great start!

(snip)
Aphil
Thanks for the welcome, Aphil. I don't really know what my calories were like before, but just looking at the numbers for what I was eating and drinking before, it was probably more like 3500 on a typical day, and maybe 4000 on errand days, with eating out and drinking cokes, etc, maybe more. So, yea, 2000 is a good start for me. I had no idea I was eating so many calories in a day. I'm glad to be keeping track now!

Now, I'm off to jam practice and then to see if I can find a scale for the house, so I can keep track of my weight. I went to Costco yesterday, but they were out.

Cheryl
Old 02-25-2007, 04:20 PM   #199  

The past three days have went swimmingly...today I taught a dance lesson at 11am, had lunch, and then walked 3 miles on the treadmill.

So far my diet has been today:

B-Protein shake, banana
L-Grilled chicken and salad greens in a pita, yogurt
S-apple slices

I am going to prepare dinner here in a bit...
Old 02-26-2007, 03:30 AM   #200  
No Excuses~Better Choices

S/C/G: 14st 6lb/13st 12lb/10st 5lb

Height: 5'2"

Hi Everyone,

I hope you don't mind me rejoining this great thread ... I was shocked when I checked back and realised that it was June '06 when I last posted here!! Needless to say I'm still in pretty much the same position that I was then ... with a few extra pounds added for good measure!!

I'm well and truly back on track and determined to stay here!! Accountability is what I need, so I'll come along everyday and post my calories etc. so that you all can keep an eye on me ... and let me know if I'm straying away from that track!!

Allowing myself around 1500 cals a day ... so far today I've had 655 ...

B - Cereal with skimmed milk
S - Apple
L - Ham salad sandwich
S - 2 plums

Now need to decide what to have for dinner ... probably chicken of some description ...
Old 02-26-2007, 08:44 AM   #201  

I weigh in on Mondays, and I am happy to report that I am 3.7 pounds down this week.

Today I am doing strength training in the morning, and I teach intermediate dance class tonight for an hour. I am aiming for about 1500 calories today.

HongKong-great to see you again!!!!
Old 02-26-2007, 09:26 AM   #202  

Aphil ... It's good to be back ... I'm feeling positive and motivated!

Total calories for today were 1535 ... pretty good
Old 02-26-2007, 01:41 PM   #203  

S/C/G: 210/ticker/150

Aphil...wow over 3lbs! Great job!

I haven't weighed in this week because of af....

Question: ON the weeks when af comes for you'll, when do you weigh? Do you wait until it's completly over for a few days...or towards the end....or just skip weighing that week at all?

I'm doing good though. I did indulge in a piece of cake this weekend, but even with that I think I managed to hang under 1800 calories.

Today so far:

B : Coffee, slimfast shake
S:: Strawberry lowfat yogurt w/ lowfat granola
L: Lean cuisine entree ( not enough time to cook)
D: Large salad w/ romaine lettuce and spinach, grilled chicken and other veggies. Used vinagrette spritzer dressing so very low cal.
S: Bolthouse protein drink...mocha cappachino! (YUMMY!)

and (2) 20oz bottles of water.

I've also got in 45 crunches and a 1 mile WATP video. I have to work tonight for 4 1/2 hours and then I"m going to try and get in 30 mins on the treadmill when I get home.

I need some good ideas for getting more protein in my diet though. I find that a lot of what I'm eating is carbs. Anyone have good high protein snack ideas? I don't like cottage cheese and I'm not a big fan of nuts either?

Last edited by Angielynne; 02-26-2007 at 10:21 PM.
Old 02-26-2007, 03:15 PM   #204  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

Aphil, great job on the 3.7 down this week!
Old 02-26-2007, 03:24 PM   #205  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

My total for yesterday was 1858, so it's coming down. Thanks for posting what you're eating. That is helping to give me an idea of some things I can eat that will help me get my calories under control.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:06 PM   #206  

Good-I am glad that posting our food is helping you.

Here is what I have had SO far today:

B-oatmeal and yogurt
L-cup of vegetable soup, LARGE side of veggies (about 3 servings)
S-sugar free cookie
later today:

D-small portion of chicken and pasta with vegetables
S-100% fruit smoothie (I have to teach dance class tonight, and this is an easy way for me to get 2 fruit servings in while I am in the car on my way home from class, and to help replenish me after the class.) I normally eat whole fruit, but sometimes with my profession I have to get smoothies or protein bars, and portable fruit, like bananas-that travel with me.

My exercise today:
quick 20 minute strength training session
teaching intermediate class tonight

I normally strength train longer-but I haev spent the day burning cd's for class, and typing up their choreography sheets.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:37 PM   #207  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

So far for me today:

B- oatmeal and yogurt (lol, same as Aphil, coincidentally)
S- small mandarin orange

Water - 3 cups so far

That's all. Running a little behind my schedule today.

Trying hard to cut back on tea, because I always put milk and sugar, and those calories add up fast, while not doing much good at all. That's a tough one for me, but I'm determined to beat it!
Old 02-27-2007, 01:38 AM   #208  

I must say that posting our daily food helps to keep me on track ... it makes me feel like I'm being watched, so it helps me to make better choices

So far today ...

B - Banana
S - Apple
L - Large salad with ham & cottage cheese
S - Melon

Later for dinner ...

Either homemade lasagne with large salad, or homemade chilli con carne (using a small amount of minced beef and lots of veggies) with side salad and small portion of rice ... Mmmm, it's a tough decision
Old 02-27-2007, 02:10 AM   #209  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

My total for today was 1441, much better! I'm off to bed!
Old 02-27-2007, 07:36 AM   #210  

jamsk8r-at your current weight, I would aim for about 1600-1800 a day. You can sort of zig zag in that level...1645 one day, 1800 the next, and so forth. I wouldn't go too low right now-because as you get smaller, you will need to drop your calories THEN to keep your loss going. You don't really need to be at a 1400 level right now, most likely.

Class went well last night, and I am a bit sore.

I'll post my food and exercise here in a bit-I need to get the kids off to school.
Closed Thread