YOU: On a Diet - and other Oprah inspired diets Includes Dr Phil, Bob Greene, and YOU: On a Diet

Old 06-13-2005, 12:29 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 235/235/140

Smile

Hi gals, I think that's a great idea. I want to lose at least 2 lbs a week and I know that I can do it.

Flormansgal
aka nebrnatv2
flormansgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 07:56 AM   #17  

Good Morning ALL!

WELCOME GITTERDONE, NIKKI, and FLORMANSGAL!!!!

Jen, sounds like you are doing GREAT!!! I am sure your weigh in will prove it You are so right...I need to purge. I am a pack rat my husband is a pack rat. I have an entire bed room filled floor to ceiling packed so tight you can't even get in to get to stuff. Plus we have this "back room" it HUGE probably 15 x15 or 20x20 full of junk that was left in this house when we moved in and junk I have tried to get rid of but have no place to get rid of it. It's not a useable room and it as no insulation and such, it was originally a summer kitchen added on haphazardly to our house way back when. I pretend it doesn't exist, I open the door chuck stuff in and they disappear from the universe LOL. My gramma keeps passing along stuff to me that is NOT my style and I don't have room for. I feel bad b/c she is 74 or 75 and still working full time in a commercial bakery. I picture her sweating her butt off in that factory and me just chucking her money out the window when I get rid of stuff she has given me.

So anyway, officially I am down 2 pounds. I was down 5 as of Friday, but a weekend of eating on the run screwed me up there. But hey 2 pounds....not bad.

Have a great day all!
MistySeptember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 02:01 PM   #18  
Choc Thunder

S/C/G: 256/ticker/180

Height: 5'5"

Hi Everybody. I was doing very well, but went off plan a bit but still ended up with a one lb. loss. I'll TAKE it!!! So that leaves me 24 to go by the end of August. As it is supposed to cool down this week, I will be outside, at least going for 3 walks this week. You all have a great week, keep up the great work, and try to keep cool.
Chklithunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 03:38 PM   #19  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

I am down another lbs. Still have to get to the gym today, got caught up with doing work outside. It feels like a workout with all the sweating because of the heat but it doesn't burn the same # of calories unfortunately!!

Misty - I have the same problem with my mom giving me stuff all the time but finally I just had to start saying no because I just have no place for any more stuff. She wanted to get rid of a lot of stuff because she's moving into an apartment and she doesn't want to sell or throw out family stuff. Most of it I just don't care about and for the longest time I was taking it because I didn't want to hurt her feelings but I don't think she'd be thrilled to know it was stuck in a box somewhere cluttering up my house. It sounds like your grandma is quite with it, just be honest and tell her that you don't have enough room in your house and you don't want her treasured items sitting in a box collecting dust. Unless they are family heirlooms she'd be just as well to truck them down to the antique store and see what she can get for her stuff. Likely she is just as tired of her place being cluttered as you are of yours!
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 09:32 AM   #20  

GREAT JOB, JEN!

GREAT JOB TO YOU TOO, CARMEN!!

Way to go on your losses! You guys are doing GREAT!

I'm having a pretty good week. Things are moving along. I am reading Make The Connection right now I also got Keeping The Connection, Bob Green's first two books. I haven't gotten real far yet. Hopefully sometime in the next few years our teeny tiny library will get Total Body Makeover Have any of you read these first two?

Have a great day all keep up the great work!
~misty
Old 06-16-2005, 09:36 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 198/170/130

Height: 5'3

Talking

Hi everyone:

I wanted to pot my weekly weigh in. I am down 1.4 this week . Go me 15 more to go by Aug 31 I wish the weight tracker allowed for tenths . I feel like I'm cheating putting it as 2 pound loss. Oh well ! I am on vacation next week but will post when I get back. Way to go everyone keep up the good work
Nikki128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 09:25 AM   #22  

GREAT JOB, NIKKI!! Enjoy your vacation!

~misty
Old 06-20-2005, 07:48 AM   #23  

Good Morning!

I had a two pounds loss this week. I should be happy but I am not, I mean I am but not completley. I was down to 204 earlier last week, but the weekends kill me. I was within my calorie budget for the weekend, but I did eat more and move less. I know that I should be pleased with 2 pounds and it is a healthy loss, but I feel disappointed ya know? So I am hiding my scale.

I started to read "Make the Connection"...I just couldn't "connect". I think I am tired of books and shows and advice from people trying to make money from it. I guess I feel almost bitter. Mostly b/c any program worth it's salt says the same thing, we all know it, we all know HOW to do it. I need to rely on myself. Nobody elese is going to do this for me. I have the plan, I have the tools, now I just have to get off this office chair and do it.

I am enjoying fit day though. I am seeing trends I never noticed, I can journal and track my goals. I like it.

I took my 10% and 25 pounds lost charms off my necklace b/c I went up in weight past those. I am getting close and I'd really like them back. I guess I have to keep thinking about that. Onederland is just aroudn the corner and I will enjoy being back there.

We'll be leaving for Michigan late Thursday and coming home Sunday or Monday. We have very limited space in our car so packing food will be tough. Any advice on surviving a road trip, eating out and eating while visiting family? I think we will be leaving after dinner Thursday, so I might sleep a large portion of the drive, so that might help.

Well have a great week every one!
~misty
Old 06-20-2005, 01:47 PM   #24  
Jen

Morning all. My scale is not showing me happy numbers and it could be because of a couple things other than my terrible eating habits last week. First I worked nights last night and I always feel that my weight is out of whack until I have at least 1 regular day and also TOM is coming up and I could be retaining water. I've had it where I gained about 5 lbs in water the week before TOM and then it comes right off. That is so stressful seeing the scale go up like that for no reason. I won't say that is for sure why I"m not liking my scale right now but it could be a factor. I'll try not to obsess over it too much!

So it is like 10 weeks til the end of our goal and I don't feel like I am much closer than when we started. It's like I need to give myself a slap because I know I can lose weight with cutting back on processed carbs (like bread, cookies etc) and I still eat like crap some days. Weekends are bad for me too Misty. I don't do enough activity and I eat too much. It should be that I do a lot more over the weekends but somehow it doesn't work out that way.

Anyway I've got a few hours of sleep under my belt since I got home this morning and I"m going to head to the gym while I've got a bit of motivation.

Take care all!
Old 06-21-2005, 05:38 PM   #25  

S/C/G: SW175/CW159/GW145

Hi all, I'd very much like to join in. Had my knee operated on last month and have gained 10 pounds, mostly from frustration, pain, and inactivity....am going to sign up for Weight Watchers tonight, in hopes that a good, balanced program will work. Tired of doing it on my own.

I'm not supposed to walk much yet...bike or elliptical machines have just been ok'd, but no walking. That will help, but would love to have some support and see if I can drop what I've gained, and perhaps even get closer to goal than I was before the operation.

I'm not going to change my ticker...in hopes it will inspire me to get back to 154....onward and downward!!!!

Susan

Last edited by artmaker; 06-21-2005 at 05:43 PM.
artmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 08:37 AM   #26  

WELCOME SUSAN! Sorry it took someone so long to reply. I've been having a rough week. I hope all is going well with your knee. Did you like WW? What plan were you doing before your operation?

I put a new goal in my fit day that showed me what I'd have to do to reach my August goal of 25 pounds. It will mena I'll have to lose an average of 2.88 pounds per week, and eat only 769 calories a day. Yeah that so is not going to happen. But I am keeping my goal at 25 pounds, I am hoping a lot of my current gain is water and with proper hydration I will lose that. I am also counting on exercise to boost me.

I was thinking of eating frozen meals for lunch and dinner, fairly balanced and though high in sodium I like them. But I want to add more veggies to my diet. With Oprah and WW things like green veggies were free. With my fitday software 1 cup of broccoli registers as 91 calories. Often in the past when I was succeeding those times when I was rumaging for somthing to eat I grabbed a can of green beans or some frozen broccoli. I am a volume eater, I'd rather have a cup of something low fat than a 1/4 of a cup of it's high fat cousin. It felt ok with eating half a bag of brocooli, I liked the volume of it. Same deal with low fat microwave popcorn.

Do you think there would be any harm in not counting veggies (not the high startch ones, just the green ones and low glycemic ones) against my calories? Would those calories be sabotaging my plan? What does everyone else do with thier veggies? I like free veggies

Well my kids did show up today, so I have to get some stuff done before they all wake up Have a great day everyone!

~misty
Old 07-03-2005, 01:00 AM   #27  
Jen

See my rant from this week's one week challenge. I don't want to repeat it all here but basically I need to get a grip with reality if I want to see any substantial loss any time soon. I'm starting back on Dr. Phil's rapid start plan because I know it works for me if I can stick with it.

Misty - your calculations don't include calories that you would burn through exercise so I think that losing 2 lbs a week is a realistic goal. There may be weeks you lose more because of water coming off. I don't count calories, with the rapid start plan you count portions and basically stuff like broccoli or green beans are free, eat as much as you want kind of thing. I would say you are okay to eat as many of those as you want. When I did the plan the first time that is what I would eat for lunch all the time, frozen veggies done in the microwave with just a tiny, tiny bit of butter and parmesan cheese.

It is like 8 weeks and a few days til the end of summer and I've done nothing but GAIN! I really shouldn't complain because my eating couldn't be worse, really I am only fooling myself into thinking that I am actually doing myself any good but I'm going to pick myself up, kick myself in the butt and hop back on the wagon!
Old 07-03-2005, 10:24 AM   #28  

Jen rant all you need. Where else can we do it ya know? I posted to you in your new thread We can do this!!!!

I am wavering between sticking to my fit day, which I love in theory but my lack of commitment isn't helping me stick to it, or joining weight watchers.

Weight Watchers worked for me before. I tended to eat alot less processed stuff b/c I'd rather use 6 points on a cup of green beans, a cup of mashed potatoes prepared with out butter, and 3 ounces of chicken, than say 1 candy bar. In my mind certain things weren't "worth" thier high points values, to me a cup of boxed macaroni and cheese so wasn't worth 9 points when you only get 20 some. So I loved weight watchers b/c I could still eat what I wanted if I wanted to "spend" my points. But I ate better b/c I didn't want to waste points on junk. But doing it on my own got hard, my books actually fell apart and I lost letters a-c, so I had to calculate everything. Then with recipes and stuff you have to calculate everything and soon I felt my life was control by calculating. I couldn't eat dinner without a half hour long algebra session. I'd play around with subsituting this or that until I got a food which was lowest in points yet high in flavor. A good thing really, but I felt like it was consuming my life. My husband was getting annoyed b/c I was constantly frutrated with it. But I don't do well with no counting plans. Boot camp was great for a week or two, but I need a number. I need to know exactly when my limit is up.

My biggest hang up about joing WW again...money. I feel horrendously guilty about buying fit day for 29.99 and then not using it, and for the $35 start of fee for WW and the $12 a week it costs. I feel horrible b/c I want a new pedometer, but I can't jsutify spending $30. It's crazy! I go back and forth and back and forth. I think it's worth the end result of a healthier me, I am worth and investment in time and money. Then I think loo around at the two gym memberships you never used and the several hundred dollars wasted there (those were 6 and 3 years ago), the step arobics thing that I never use (again 6 years ago), the videos I bought in the fall, the weights I rarley drag out, the fit day and mastercook software I had to have, and don't even mention the $900 treadmill currently serving as a clothes rack in my laundry area.

SO I am wavering. Trying to decide what to do.

~misty
Old 07-04-2005, 07:28 AM   #29  

Hi! Happy Fourth of July. Well for us anyway, I sometimes forget you are in Canada, Jen. So anyway....

How are things going? Things here aren't too bad. I have been thinking alot about your situation. I know I am not there, and it is not my marriage. I don't know everything about the situation. But I am begining to wonder what exactly is keeping you in it. I wonder if you wouldn't be better off walking away for a while. I don't know, I'm not trying to over step my boundries here and I'm not saying you need a divorce or anything. That is something only you can determine. The situation from my perspective seems abusive, and neither you nor your son deserve to be in that kind of environment. If your husband does not do well off the medications, then you may have to step back and look at what the relationship is costing you and your son emotionally. In Bob Greene's first book he talked about a woman who couldn't lose weight and couldn't lsoe weight and he had a hard tiem figureing out why. It was her marriage. I mean that's the short version, the point is the relationship was unhealthy and toxic even though it wasn't to the extreme that she feared for her safety daily or anything. Counceling may be a good place to determine exactly where your relationship stands.

Like I said I don't want to overstep my boundries or anything. But you are a great person. The least of your concerns right now seems to be weight loss. What I mean is it seems to be one of the less crucial things you have to worry about. But maybe it helps you to focus on it b/c it is one of the things in your control. But, in my opinion it would be difficult to concentrate on it with everything else you have going on.

Well, I have to run. I have to babysit today, then my mom and dad want us to come over tonight and watch fireworks from thier house. I'm not sure if I am doing that b/c my husband will probably not go and I hate driving at night. Plus I have to get up early tomarrow. But I did lose a pound and a half this week. So I feel good about that. Still debating the WW thing. I don't think I am going to start a new one week thread since it seems to be just me and you again. So, why have two threads ya know?

I hope things are looking up for you
~misty
Old 07-04-2005, 09:50 AM   #30  
Jen

Well in some ways I agree with you Misty, I have no idea why I stay with my husband. I don't really believe in divorce because I took vows that I take very seriously. It is not right just to up and leave someone because you are going through a difficult period. It depends on your perspective too. Like you've described your house as being unsafe because of mould and problems with your furnace and your husband isn't willing to fix these things or think they are important. Now that is something I would go through the roof about and because he isn't willling to fix them I'd almost find that worse than some stuff that my husband has put me through. We are the sort of couple that one of us will kill the other before we get divorced. I can't say that I've been perfect so even though I complain a lot I shouldn't judge his behaviour so much.

Anyway I weighed in this morning at 231.4 lbs, that is kind of depressing that I am above my start weight but it won't be like that next Monday I am telling you now. I ate pretty well yesterday according to my dr phil plan, not as many veggies as he'd like but I didn't eat any processed food like bread or cookies so I feel it was a good start.