Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 12:36 PM   #16  
CURVY VIXEN

S/C/G: 205/194/128

Height: 5'2''

hi everyone.. My name is Lynn... here is my story.
I'm 42, married for 22 years, with two girls, 20 and 17.
I've always had a weight problem, always struggled to lose weight and I'm sure that will always be an issue. I am a binge eater. I eat till I'm down right sick.
In 1999, I lost 50ish something pounds, was almost to goal, then I kind of fell off the wwers band wagon and stayed pretty much at that weight. Sept 11.01 (that dreaded day), I got a phone call from my doctor stating that they found a 4mm mass in my left breast. I gained 20 pounds in one month. A biopsy found it not to be cancerous, it was left alone and till this day I still go for mammo's every six months.
I lost the 20 pounds on my own with alot of walking. In '04 they found a tumor in my left eye and that was the downfall till now, I had surgery in november of that year, my surgeon said that my lacrimal gland that produces tears did not have a tumor but it was an inflammatory disorder. I was relieved but the roller coaster ride had just begun. To shrink the inflammation and the 'mass' which was labeled an orbital inflammatory psdeuotumor, I had to take huge amounts of prednisone. I became this person I didn't know, I had oily skin, I was grouchy and nasty and I gained over 60 pounds.
My doctor slowly weaned me off the prednisone and the weight never budged. My left eye to this day is blurry, with instense burning at times, it is swollen and drives me crazy everyday of my life, hense I eat. I figure that is the only thing that helps me.. is too EAT! I have gained so much weight...
I have had three md opinions, since my worst fear is that I will go blind. I live with that every day. I have to be healthy, I want to live a normal life. I have since started hyertension meds because of the weight, I want to be off of them!
My mother had a stroke last year and another stressor with more eating issues. She is on the road to recovery and now I have to put myself first...
Thank you for listening to my story... for today I will be binge free!
Lynn
Old 04-13-2006, 02:30 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 222/187/120

Height: nearly 5'2"

I got the result of my cholesterol check back today. Actually everything else, blood sugar, thyroid, etc... was fine. My cholesterol was 210 with 40 (good) and 144 (bad). I shudder to think what it would have been if I had it checked 3 months and 25 lbs ago before I started dieting and exercising.

So now after eating really healthy for the last three months, I have to ask myself - What More Can I Do? I looked up lots of info on the internet - and actually I don't have much fat or cholesterol in my diet right now.

Here are the changes I am going to make.
  • Start Drinking Coffee Black
  • Add back a glass of red wine for the creamer (usually whole milk) points
  • Change my daily oatmeal for breakfast to oat bran
  • Attempt more consistant heart-pounding exercise. I am good at skiing or hiking all day, but not good at getting to the gym.
  • Eliminate butter - I am not even going to buy it. The kids can have jam on their toast.
  • No Eggs (even though I am in charge of deviled eggs for easter)
  • Ax the red meat and stick to chicken, fish, and soy products - although I only eat red meat once every few weeks anyway
  • Make little changes each day - like today I looked at how much cholesterol was in the egg noodles (27%), and swapped them for beans in my soup instead.

On the other hand, my grandma, her sister, and my mom's little brother (he's 46) all had cholesterol in the 400+ range before taking daily meds. So I am kind of relieved I am not in that pile of genes.
Old 04-13-2006, 03:19 PM   #18  
CURVY VIXEN

S/C/G: 205/194/128

Height: 5'2''

those are great choices. I too have hight cholesterol in my family. My mother is a vegetarian and she had a stroke at age 65, she was eating soy when people said " what is that", her dad died at 50 and her mom had a numerous amount of strokes. My cholesterol is 190, I can just imagine what it will be when I get to goal weight! I too drink my coffee black, I use egg beaters when I can. The little changes are what make large success'.. good luck
Old 04-13-2006, 03:43 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 163.4/120/132

Height: 5'1"

Morrigan - good work! You've set up wonderful goals for yourself!

I have to do the blood test next week and I'm not looking forward to it. I had some good news yesterday though. Went to the dermatologist and they checked my blood pressure and it was 124/86! I know it's still high, but for me it was the best reading in years!!!
Old 04-13-2006, 04:15 PM   #20  

You guys are doing great with all your efforts! Way to go!
I have worked hard to lose and at times I have given up, depends on what is happening in my life. Curvy, things can really set me off as well.
I was almost at goal before 9/11, I didn't have bad medical news on that day as well, but I put on almost all my weight back on within the next three or four months after 9/11, it was all about the comfort food.
Then, I was almost at goal again and my dad got really sick and died of cancer and then mom died 4 months later. I just blew it all over again. I'm really trying to get back on track again.
Something else is happening as well and it has let me to make a concerted effort to finally make some changes. I have bad arthritis and I am reading about how to eat better in order to feel better. I'm willing to make certain canges in order to stop being in pain.
Let's keep working!
Linda
Old 04-17-2006, 05:24 AM   #21  

Well, here I am after the cheesecake, pie, chocolate and bad food binge.... not a good girl over Easter. Shall be begin anew?
Today I will try again, I will put this behind me.
Linda
Old 04-24-2006, 06:11 AM   #22  

Oh dear, I think we have all disappeared. I've been waiting for more posts to read, but no one's here. Anyway, I've not been good. I was doing so well, then the Easter bunny came! AJ's chocolate eggs just keep creeping over in my direction, its not good at all! I just love Easter eggs. I can't seem to get out of the pit I have dug for myself, once I start going downhill I just can't help myself. I must behave, I really must, I'm off on vacation in less that two weeks now, and I've got to feel good in my new clothes.

Anyhow, it seems looking at Linda's last post that I'm not the only one who struggled with Easter, hope you are back on track better than me!

Melanie, how are you doing, have you had that scan yet? I want to know the minute you have been!

Right, got to go, I have a man coming to value my house, going to put the house up for sale and move to the next town. It'll be nearer my work and AJ's school when he starts in September. Wish me luck, I need as much for this as I can get!

Back soon, take care all!
Old 04-24-2006, 06:20 AM   #23  

Dawny! I've been lurking and waiting for someone else to make a post! So glad to hear from you. Watch out trying to sell a house and also moving, that is a time where take-out food and comfort food as well as baking to make the house smell nice for showings take over. Good luck!
I've fallen off the wagon in the last week or so. I need to get back in my "groove" of exercise as well as eating better. It's so hard when all the good food is around. It was Easter last weekend and even though it was a sad holiday, the first after losing both my mom and dad, there was chocolate and extra food, etc. around here.
Then, Friday was my husband's birthday and we had cake. We had doughnuts, we had a few special meals. The scale edged back up a pound and I have got to get back in control. Why is it that exercise always seems to fall by the wayside when I am not eating right too? I keep wondering if I really WANT this all that bad as I don't seem to be able to be on top.
Wouldn't it be nice if these was a safe magic way to lose weight and do it quickly. I keep thinking that if I was down to a better weight that maintianing it might be easier than losing.... but then again every time I've been lower, maintaining has not been easy either.
Linda
Old 04-24-2006, 03:10 PM   #24  

Hello! I'm here. Just not checking in as often, since I'm off the wagon! Luckily, the baby's new favorite foods are reduced fat original pringles and slushy drinks (kiwi/strawberry or decaf frappucinos). Not too bad, if I don't eat the entire can of Pringles!

I second Linda's warning about fast food! I know I was amazingly tempted when we moved over a year ago. And, being pg and tired, I'm less likely to eat healthy. Frozen pot pies have become a staple in my house. 50 cents and good, non-nauseous food - but gosh - the fat grams!!

Linda - you are asking a very good question. How bad do you want it? That's what I always asked myself. Usually, I would decide that I want one or two bites of something sinfully yummy and then continue to my goal without a major down fall. But, not everyone can do that. Good luck.

The big ultrasound is 1 day and 19 hours away!! That's a total of 43 hours. At least 18 of them, I will be asleep. Probably 3 more hours eating. So, that only leaves 22 hours to think about it and anxiously wait!!! I'll definately update you when I know!

Last edited by Emerald; 04-25-2006 at 11:22 AM.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:49 AM   #25  

Well I am back after a rut ~ I havent weighed in, in 2 weeks~ Well I have paid for it and its my own fault~ I gained 8 pounds~ But i am looking forward and get back on track~ I am not sure what is going on ~ Alls I know is I dont wanna gain back all that I have lost. After weigh in I cried.

I wish everyone luck on there weight loss~ Will help as much as I can~ I also need help
Old 04-25-2006, 11:31 AM   #26  

Awww... cryket. Sorry you have not been doing so well. But, you can start again today. Every morning is a new opportunity to be the person you want to be. Today, you can be a model WW eater/exerciser!

Update: 22 1/2 hours until my ultrasound!
Old 04-26-2006, 07:44 AM   #27  

Hi, I know about the fast food thing and moving - our house isn't even on the market yet and we're pigging out. With only 10 days until vacation, that is not good news. The bikini may well be hidden by a very large sarong at this rate!

Linda, hi, its tough. we all know that. If it was easy there would be no need for sites like this to exist. No need for WW and no need for us to worry about every 0.1gram of fat in every morsel we eat. Still, we keep plodding on. At least we are aware of what we are doing, even if we don't always do it right. Many people have no idea why they are overweight (alot of denial there, methinks!) At least we know, and we know what we have to do to put it right, whether we stick to that or not is our choice. And we know we can't really blame others all the time for our dilemma. We do ourselves choose what we put in our mouths, no one forces us to eat cookies and chocolate and chips all day! Anyway, hope you enjoyed your DH's birthday, and the cake of course. Lets all plan for a stick thin summer and next birthday eat carrots instead!

Melanie, I can barely stand the suspense. As I'm typing this, you must be almost ready to go for the ultrasound. I hope they can tell you what you want to hear - i know sometimes the naughty baby is facing the wrong way, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you...I foresee a boy or even a girl!!! I never get it wrong!
Let us know the instant you find out!

bye for now,
Old 04-26-2006, 11:10 AM   #28  

S/C/G: 222/187/120

Height: nearly 5'2"

I have been in the lurking-but-not-posting camp since I have not had a good two weeks (up 2 lbs at weigh in last week). I have been thinking a lot about my behavior ... and don't actually have much insight as to why I go off the wagon.

I have, however, thought of some stratagies to get me through this.

- planning my meals in advance
- no snacking after dinner
- cut my extra points to be evenly divided up (35/7=5 per day) so I don't use them all up during the first two days of the week, and then not be able to stick to my diet the rest of the week
-stop trying to eat my minimum (24 points) because if I do I feel deprived and end up eating too much
Old 04-26-2006, 11:21 AM   #29  

It Wenesday and i am doing good so far getting back on track~ I have done my treadmill every morning so far for 30 mins. Eating what I have preplanned. And drinking my water. I am hoping the weight gain I had is a turn around point for me~

Morrigan I also try to preplan my meals for the week, if I do this than I am more apt to stay on track. I also try to eat my max points thats what our leader told us to do otherwise you will feel starved. The extra 35 points I try not to use unless i really need too. Few other things i have done that seems to help too is i try to eat at same times every day~ I also do not eat after 8pm. hope i havent made you upset by butting in but wanted to share some of my tips too ~ I also didnt post for last 2 weeks~ than I weighed in Monday and gained 8 pounds over 2 weeks, i know i have to look forward and move past that~ I had my cry after weigh in, and now im moving on~
Old 04-26-2006, 11:23 AM   #30  

S/C/G: 248.6/249/135

Height: 5'2"ish

Hello...my name is Chrissy...and I too have been a lurker but not poster because of my bad eating habits. My confession....I haven't journaled a whole week in over a month. I'm embarassed to admit that because I know when I journal I tend to stay on program. It's when I don't that I fall off. However, I also know that I don't journal because I've fallen off. It's the whole egg and chicken thing. But I'm back. My challenge to myself is to journal for the rest of this week (I can't remember everything I've eaten the last few days) and to journal consistantly for the next two weeks. I know that if I do that then I'll start being consistant again. I'm thinking I need a 'treat' for myself if I win my challenge...wait....WHEN I win my challenge. Any non-food related suggestions?
Closed Thread