Closed Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 05:28 PM   #91  

Hey guys! I'm here... I think something is wrong with my thread subscriptions as the last time I posted, I got nothing as far as e-mail responses and kind of felt you all deserted me.
I guess something went wrong and I will have to do a better job of checking back in here as you guys have been here and have been posting. I'm glad!
I've been going to meetings, working out and have lost a bit more since I last updated here. My daughter is coming to meetings with me and she is down something like 8.8 pounds.
It's hard to stay on track, I went on vacation a few weeks ago and re-gained 4 pounds, but have since lost it again.
I'm going away next week to Rhode Island for the week, so won't be able to be in touch, but we don't leave until Saturday.
I've missed you guys and wondered about Melanie's baby/pregnancy and what's been going on with Dawny and everyone else.
My clothes aren't feeling as tight any longer, I'm working hard again.
I'm still not recovered from the death of my parents and that set me back a great deal, but I have to realize that I can't let that overshadow efforts to be healthy.
Take care everyone,
Linda
Old 08-10-2006, 01:41 PM   #92  

Hi Linda, I did wonder where you had disappeared to! Glad you are well and seem to be on track. Jamie too - she's doing so well again.

I have to say, I wish my clothes were feeling less tight, after now losing 7#, they feel as tight now as they did before. The new stuff I bought for my vacation in may and fitted fine, feels awful. But I'm on track and happy to stay on No Count for another week. I do feel like its more like a 'diet' than when I'm counting points, but I feel well (apart from the chest infection I currently have!) feel healthy - the extra fruit and veg seems to be working wonders for my energy levels.

Right got to go, back soon, take care. x
Old 08-11-2006, 10:19 AM   #93  

Yippee!! Dawny & Linda are doing great!! I love seeing losses on here!!

Linda - Wonderful to have you back posting! And, it's great news that Jamie has started back. When does school start for her? Hope that doesn't cause her problems with staying on track. Have a great trip!!

Dawny - Sorry you aren't seeing the difference yet in your clothing. Hope you do soon. It's funny to hear that the program is called "No Count" there. We have a regional saying, "That ((whatever)) is no count." Meaning good for nothing, doesn't count for anything, etc. That name would not work here!

Everything is going pretty well for me. People keep asking how I feel. I answer, "9 months pregnant in 100 degree (F) weather." I'm okay, but tired, achey, and ready for this to be over! I don't even care how she gets out! I had to walk across the street to the courthouse yesterday and stopped 3 times to catch my breath! The days are okay, but in the evenings, I just get fed up. (whine, whine, whine) but, it's all for a good cause. I told DH I was really gonna be mad at him if I didn't like her!

I hadn't checked out the smilies in a while! They are hilarious:
Me in a few months:
Old 08-11-2006, 12:56 PM   #94  

Hi, Melanie,I felt like that with AJ. I wished he had been born at about 4 weeks, just before the sickness and everything else kicked in. Just think though, the big tummy now and the extra weight, how tired you are etc, is it even near what you weighed before you 'discovered' WW? And you know this time alot of it will go in a few weeks time. The rest you may have to work on for a while, but that little dancing 'minnie' will be you in no time at all.

I'm still being good. Lots of fruit still being consumed - fruit and yoghurt for lunch and a fruit smoothie for breakfast. Not tonight for dinner though. Pork steaks, potatoes and veggies I think. Hmmm, a nice apple sauce with the pork maybe? my culinery skills never were much to write home about, but I keep trying, thats the main thing, right?

Ok, I'm off, have a great weekend, and Linda, a great vacation if I don't get back here before you go.

Take care. x
Old 08-11-2006, 01:08 PM   #95  

S/C/G: H178/S170/140/135

Height: 5'3"

Hi... I'm new to this particular board, but certainly not new to WW. I am a *recovering* lifetime member who not only regained all the weight lost in 1978, but had two children (now grown and left home) and then gained some more, just for good measure

I just turned 50 at the end of June. Lots of stroke and arthritis runs in the side of the family I most take after, so am determined to maintain my mobility, improve my overall health and just get feeling better.

I have been at the gym for just over 2 years and have noticed a HUGE difference in my stamina, posture, and overall sense of well being. I've recommitted to 3x week for the next two weeks and then 4x-5x from then on (like I used to).

Additionally, I dug out my 2 food journals I had stashed away because I can't weigh in at my group this week or next, but am committing Aug. 22 to that. In the meantime, I restarted program on Wed. and am now on Day 3. It seems that if I can get thru the first 3 days, I am on my way. I have just always let my family and work commitments take priority and left me behind.

*brushin dust off self..... no more Me first for a long while.

Nice to meet everyone.
Old 08-12-2006, 02:28 AM   #96  

Welcome Judomom! Sounds like you are on the right track. Hope you stay with us and keep at it!
Dawny, I wonder if the no count thing you are on in the UK is the same or similar to CORE in the US? I think CORE can be very good for some people (not me) who can totally grasp portion control and live without bread and chocolate.... issues for me.
Melanie, hang in there. I remember the situation you are in so very well. I felt like a beached whale and remember my husband having to pull me by the hands once in awhile to get me off the sofa or out of bed. I just wanted it all to end, and it finally did, thank goodness! I also remember not being able to sleep on my back for a very long time and after my babies came, laying on my back to get to sleep was pure luxury!
You will feel so light on your feet, believe me, afterwards. Pregnancy is surely a teaching time. If woman can make it through those 9 months, they can handle anything, and you'll breeze through this. I hope the weather cools off and you are a bit more comfortable.
As for me, I was not as successful today, as I used two of my flex points. I had vowed not to use any flex points until after we left on vacation, but my husband and daughter "dragged" me out for ice cream. I had a soft-serve cone. Soft serve ice cream is considerably less points than regular ice cream. It tasted so good. So, I ended the day using 2 extra flex points.
I starved myself, practically, all day. I wanted a sausage and pepper sub sandwich so badly for dinner. I compromised and had chicken Italian sausage (3 points each) with peppers and onions sauteed in olive oil and only half of a 5 point sub roll. The entire meal was 9.5 points. If I had eaten the entire huge sub roll, it was a full five points. I have grown used to the chicken Italian sausage rather than pork, which I still cook alongside the chicken as my husband will not eat the chicken kind. The pork sausages are smaller, but much higher in fat, and something like 6 or 7 points each. So, I had what I wanted, it tasted good and I was still ahead of the game. Two of those big chicken sausages are 6 points, then 2.5 for a half roll (one sausage I ate without the roll on my plate and it was fine) and one point for the olive oil I sauteed the peppers and onins in. It was sooooo good!
I am worried that all my good progress will be ruined on vacation. I'm hoping that I can hold on and make some wise choices. I would love to have a loss over vacation vs. the usual gain. I feel like I am forever gaining and losing the same four pounds, which I have been doing for a very long time.
I've been back to WW since around April, I think, and still have not (according to their scales at least) lost over 5 pounds. If I go by the scale here at home and when I truly started back trying to lose weight (before I went back to meetings), I have lost 7 pounds - I like my numbers better.
So, we leave tomorrow morning and I am bringing my work out tape, my exercise mat and some weights as well as my WW materials. Maybe I'll be smarter this time?
Linda
Old 08-13-2006, 05:48 AM   #97  

Good to meet you, Judomom! Good luck with your efforts.

Linda, Looks like I probably missed you before your vacation, but have a great time, I'm sure you will be able to make some good food choices at least some of the time. Enjoy yourself, maybe the break will do you good. Full of fight for your return to 'normality' and ready to beat those scales once and for all!

I had a bit of a pigout yesterday actually. Not too bad. It was the bread. I'm trying to avoid it most days whilst doing the No Count programme, it uses too many points out of my weekly allowance of only 21. But I had some. It really filled me too. Hopefully now I've let myself have some, I have got it out of my system for a while and will be good from now until WI on wednesday evening.

It looks like we're in for another change of leader shortly at our meetings - I'm only just getting used to the one we've got now after my lapse of going to the meetings at all. Hopefully this new one, whoever they may be, will be full of new, good ideas and inspiration. Time will tell.

Right, off to pack a box or two for the house move. Still no official date for it yet, but I'm ever the optimist, and hope for sometime this millenium!

Bye for now. x
Old 08-13-2006, 05:51 AM   #98  

Oh yeah, meant to mention Linda. I think from what I've learned on here that our No Count plan is very similar to your Core. Very healthy eating. Some differences are bound to be there somewhere, and at times I do feel like its more like a 'real diet' than when I'm counting points, as I don't eat this and don't eat that. Whereas when I'm counting points then I eat what I want basically, but its so much more limited due to the counting. Anyway, its ok for now, and giving my metabolism the jolt it needs to get losing those pounds.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:53 AM   #99  

I'm sure the Core and No Count plans differ as to what foods are on the "free" lists, since we have different regular foods for the areas, but probably basically the same. I definately like the structure of the points, but I'm glad WW recognizes that different things can work for different people.

Well, another doctor's visit yesterday. Just thought I would update you. Monday night, I had contractions every 7 minutes for 4 hours. Then, I went to sleep and nothing else happened. At my check up yesterday, I was dilated 1.5cm, so at least that's some progress!
Old 08-17-2006, 01:25 PM   #100  

Oooh, Melanie, things are getting close for you now, you must be starting to feel the reality of it all now that the twinges have started kicking in! Just in case you don't get close to your pc for a while, good luck, take care of yourself and let DH pamper you as much as possible!

I lost 1# at this weeks WI so thats a total of 8 pounds lost in total. I'm pleased. This week I'm going to count points again but follow some of the basic rules of No Count. I like what I've been doing, but need a bit more flexibility of a couple of extra foods - like bread for example. A life without bread just ain't worth living as far as I'm concerned!
Right, got to go, back soon.
Old 08-21-2006, 04:04 PM   #101  

Hi everyone!
Well, I didn't gain (according to my own scale) over vacation. I won't be at a meeting until later on in the week, though, or next week. My daughter is in a play this week that runs each day.
I did walk a few times over vacation, but was kind of ashamed that I didn't do all the exercise I wanted to do and thought I would do. I got lazy, but I guess vacations are kind of all about that.
Melanie, I'm getting so excited for you! What did the doctor say about your official due day and if it is "on target"????
Linda
Old 08-22-2006, 02:57 PM   #102  

S/C/G: 222/187/120

Height: nearly 5'2"

Emerald - can't wait to hear about the new baby - it is so exciting.

Hi to everyone else. I haven't been even lurking around much this summer. I just post my food sporadically and then run away to hide. I keep resolving to have a good week, and then stocking foods I can't stay out of in my house.

Like last night - DH brought home skinny cow ice cream sandwhiches (at my request). Two at a time and they are now all gone. Yummy though, but still gone.

The start of fall/school seems to be a good time to renew our weight loss focus. Mine is to eat within my points, exercise each day, and get out of the 180's.
Old 08-23-2006, 05:52 AM   #103  

Hi, good to see you back Morrigan, Skinny Cow ice cream is just scrummy, shame they've all gone already, you could have had one for me!

Linda, hi, sounds like you did well on your vacation. You enjoyed it, thats the main thing. Hopefully its recharged your batteries and you are raring to go....If you haven't gained then by the time you go for a WI, then you might even get a loss!

My WI is tonight. I'm not too optimistic this week. I've been counting points this week, and to be honest, I haven't stuck to it half as well as I did with the NO count programme. I think I'll go back to that tomorrow. So not expecting a loss, a 'maintain' would be good I think.

Ok, off to pack a few more boxes.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:53 PM   #104  

Hi Morrigan and Dawny.... Morrigan, it's hard when you lose control, but just get right back in there and keep at it.
One time at a WW meeting the leader was coaching us on and telling us that if we are "good" at least 85% of the time, we will probably have success. If we fall, get right back up and try again. But, when we are bad it becomes so hard to get right back up and try again... it gets discouraging and you feel defeated. I usually eat something that I think I just HAD to have and then feel sad and think that the points I used up were just not worth it and the item I craved just wasn't as good as I thought it was going to be.
I've been having is easier staying on track lately, other than on vacation. I was even better than usual on vacation. I keep trying to examine WHY? I don't know, but I am happy that I have been having an easier time staying on track. I do think that having my daughter going to meetings with me has helped, I think she inspires me when I am tempted to cheat. I also feel kind of a "peer pressure" thing from her to keep at it.
Ah, Dawny, packing boxes, eh? Well, I hope it all goes well. When is your official move date? I hope you are on line when Melanie posts with her big news, and it should be soon!!!! Don't forget to number your boxes as you pack, the lower the number the least essential the items in it! Even if you didn't start doing it at the beginning, you'll know that the numbered boxes were the latter of the items you packed. I've moved several times and it is so helpful.
I'm going to a meeting this afternoon and wondering if I should change my clothing to "lighter" things before I go. I don't think I will this time. I've been weighing in with capris pants on lately that are lightweight compared to jeans. BUT, fall is coming and I can't keep up wearing those each time so I may as well take the "hit" on a week that I am just back from vacation and could show a slight gain anyway?
I remember other years with weigh ins that I actually had a special outfit I wore to WW meetings so I could track my weight loss easier. Even the same underwear each week. I've not been going that far... plus I am afraid to say that my official weigh in outfit doesn't fit me anymore. At least I admit it.
Taking all the time off after the death of both my parents and all the emotional eating really took it's toll. But, now I am hopefully really back on track these days. Gosh, if only the scale would go below 160 into the 150s... I'd be so happy.
I'm on hormone replacment medication now as well, I do wonder if that is something that causes weight gain? I am also on a drug for acid reflux called Previcid and taking lots of prescription strength Ibuprophen for arthritis. I actually went as far as to look up what medications can cause weight gain on line and found out that almost everything I end up having to take causes weight gain. I wonder if I stopped everything if I would be healthy and not in so much pain from arthritis. It's interesting that they say when you lose weight your acid reflux gets better and your arthritis gets better. Then, the medication they prescibe ADDS weight.... a vicious circle??? : )
I might try an experiment for a few weeks and stop all the medications (maybe switching to asperin for the arthritis?) and see if I note a weight loss? I do really wonder about all of that. Certain medications I take are to improve comfort and quality of life vs. keep me alive, so I do wonder if my life quality would be better by just stopping it all? My pocketbook might be happier as well!
Do any of you take medications that can contribute to weight gain?
Linda
Old 08-25-2006, 03:17 PM   #105  

Just thought I would check in to say: no baby yet. I'm impatiently waiting. And, I'm an emotional wreck. I will be soooo glad to start getting back to my old self! 8 more days until the "official" due date. Maybe I should swallow a calendar so Chloe realizes how close it is?!?!

Glad everyone seems to be getting on track! Morrigan - glad to hear from you again! Keep on trying! I will need people to lose with when I get back in about 4-6 weeks!
Closed Thread