Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 11-30-2006, 08:15 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Kiwi, you are correct. The 3 sets is it and then you move on to the next exercise. OMG, otherwise you would be there all day! As it is, my upper body w/o takes a full hour.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 09:33 PM   #32  

Height: 5.6

Way to go on the scale Susan!

My SIL called me tonight and asked if I would start working out with her... told her yes... One of the benefits of her subdivision is that they have a gym located there - so now 2 to 3 days a week I have access to weights. Very excited - we are supposed to start this weekend... YEA!
Penney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 06:15 AM   #33  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Good Morning!
December is here! It is 1 degree C above freezing here this morning ... which is better than I expected. So I'll drive to work in the wet and cold instead of the snow they forecast.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 09:38 AM   #34  

S/C/G: 157/133.4/130

Height: 5'5"

Kiwi, I am not doing the Challenge, just following the plan. Although my eating has been way off this week - I was at a conference for work which was held at a Jesuit retreat centre, so way off the beaten path and either you ate what they had or you didn't eat. I did pack some protein powders & stuff, but not a full food supply, so who knows what went into my system this week.

My workouts have been spot-on, though, and I am to a point where while some of what I am doing is still locating my max on certain muscle groups, I think other muscle groups really are getting stronger. For instance, the first time I did legs, the 6 reps of 220 really did kill me - a 7th rep would not have happened. Yesterday I pushed that set to 230. On other groups, I am still kind of "finding myself" - realizing after I do the sets that I could have pushed myself still harder. Like, the first time I did the workout, I just COMPLETELY underestimated what my hamstrings were capable of, and I am still having trouble figuring that out exactly!
Su-Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 03:17 PM   #35  
Lovin' Zumba!

Su-Bee - although you may not be entering the contest, you should still consider that you are doing a "Challenge" - especially the first time, since the first 12-weeks are definitely a challenge!

I wanted to comment that often it takes 6-8 weeks for first-timers to really see the results they are expecting - you may notice little changes along the way, but I personally really saw clothing size/measurements drop after about the 7th week.

So, this does require a little faith on your part at times...

Also, I strongly suggest that you take photos of yourself in a bathing suit or undies - front, back and side. Take these every 4 week and compare them - often when the scale and/or pants-o-meter is not moving, you'll see changes on yourself in the photos.

Technically I'm in week 11 of my current challenge, but life got in the way of weeks 8, 9 and 10, so I'm not feeling very successful. I think I'll get back on track and start anew on Monday.
Cindy
BfL_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 03:56 PM   #36  

Hi Cindy! Would you post your grocery list or maybe a few of the things you're going to get to get started?
Details woman ... we want details!
Is this your 2nd challenge?
Old 12-01-2006, 05:21 PM   #37  

Cindy, great points about the amount of time it will take to see results. I posted a similar sentiment in a new thread. Esp. for ladies not used to free-weighting or lifting, the scale won't move in the first month or two like it does on a strict cal reduction program bc of the water your muscles are holding and the build up of muscle. But when it does start to happen, it's consistent if we are consistent. Would you guys be interested in learning not only grocery lists, but also weekend prep routines? I'm to the point where I want to start eating REALLY clean (cuz I feel like crap when I don't) and get into the Sunday prep time. You know, cooking a dozen chkn breasts, prepping veggies, stuff like that. I think that would be a great new thread going into the weekend, but maybe it's been done before.
Old 12-01-2006, 05:47 PM   #38  

Sounds fabulous! I had to make protein pancakes again yesterday cuz somebody's eating them (DH!)
Old 12-01-2006, 08:59 PM   #39  

I think I'll have to call that my free day as far as food is concerned. Who invented trail mix anyway?

Lower body was good tho'.
Old 12-02-2006, 06:43 PM   #40  

I have to do cardio yet. I don wanna I'm tired and my legs are aching. Busy day at work.
Girls ... promise me that you'll take care of your bones. I looked after a couple of elderly ladies today who did not. Oh for whining! If I hear somebody say "I can't, you'll have to do it for me" again today I'll scream!
I'm not really a nice lady nurse. I just play one on TV

Go now! Keep yourselves flexible! Strengthen those arms!
Old 12-02-2006, 07:31 PM   #41  

Thanks for the reminder Susan! I was offered a dexa scan at my yearly checkup this year, but thankfully, I come from a line of women with big strong bones and plus, I can say now, I'm a WEIGHT LIFTER!!! (Where's the flashing, sparkly font?)

So, I did my one hour of cardio (hope you did too Susan!) and 1 hr ubwo. I'm STILL going to do a lbwo yet tonite (I know, I'm crazy, but due for it!!) Weekends are when I have the most flexibility with my time, so I enjoy taking advantage of it!
Old 12-02-2006, 07:47 PM   #42  

35 minutes ... not HIIT but aerobic ... The big thing for me is to not skip. Except for one day of rest, I haven't missed a day since Hallowe'en. It may not always be perfect -or- on plan -or- properly intense ... but it's something.
Old 12-02-2006, 10:29 PM   #43  
Mel

Fran- go get the dexa scan anyway. My mother lifted weights for years and had 35% bone loss due to undiagnosed celiacs disease. There are lots of other reasons for osteoporosis and it can be an indicator for otherwise silent diseases. Diagnostics are a godsend- colonscopies, mammograms, dexascans and pap smears are easy tests for diseases that are very treatable if detected early. Please take care of yourselves!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 10:30 PM   #44  

Height: 5.6

Thanks for the info on the time frame it takes to start seeing real results.

I did get some pictures taken of me for a starting reference - it was definitely a moment. I have managed to avoid any and all photo opportunities for a long time.

My sister in law had to canx our date for the gym today so hopefully tomorrow. If not I will use what I have a home. I ended up doing a lot errands today - so I called this my free day - the upside is my scale moved a little bit... This was my 2nd week into the plan. I had managed to exercise everyday this week - so it felt kind of funny to not workout today... that is pretty neat.
Penney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 05:52 AM   #45  

Ah Sunday the day of rest! Which I will do as soon as I get home from work.

Tomorrow is my day off so I'll do some prep cook and pack then.