3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight and Resistance Training (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-resistance-training-80/)
-   -   Body For Life in December (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-resistance-training/98831-body-life-december.html)

srmb60 11-26-2006 01:59 PM

Body For Life in December

I know I'm early and it's frightening to think how close December is but ... I'm really impressed with this plan and there are a few of us who are doing BFL right here already. I was hoping that by bringing the subject up a few days early maybe it would give others a chance to learn about the plan. You could read or reread the book(s), check out the website, read here (the original Ladies Who Lift were BFL'ers ... some still are!), google 'body for life' ...

It's not complicated. The food's not fancy. And the exercise is not hard because you start where you are and move along.

Since there's several things illegal about rewriting part of Bill Phillips' or Pamela Peeke's books .... I thought we could start by offering up what we understood from the books.

sportmom 11-26-2006 07:46 PM

My biggest understanding from the book was that it is a basic program that I can do the rest of my life. After reading tons of fitness/diet books, I came away from reading it thinking, I didn't have to do anything crazy with this plan and I could fit it into my life.

Thanks for the NUDGE Susan, it worked. I worked out for 2.5 hours this morning; did my lbwo, my ubwo, and then 1 hour on the treadmill. Even though I "worked ahead" to not lose pace on my vacation, now I'm on the other end of it trying to play a little bit of catch up. I should be fine after tomorrow and fully caught up on Tuesday. I probably don't need to catch up, but it's one of those little mind games that works for me. Gotta keep that little ticker moving! ;)

kiwichic 11-26-2006 08:12 PM

:) I would love to join in. I'm just starting with the bfl . I have Bill's book and have borrowed dr Peaks from the library. It would be good to have others that are starting out .

I wanted to ask , how do you stay on the treadmill for so long ? I used to use the tread mill for a warm up for about 6 minutes and I was constantly looking at the clock to see if I had finished yet and could get off.

Is it because being unfit makes it boring and when your fit you enjoy it ?

cheers :)

srmb60 11-26-2006 08:27 PM

Music? TV? I can walk alot longer if I have my mp3 on.

sportmom 11-26-2006 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwichic (Post 1481515)
:) Is it because being unfit makes it boring and when your fit you enjoy it ?

Kiwi - I think that's exactly it, because I have noticed that!! In a weird sick way, it's "fun" now for me and I actually look forward to getting on the treadmill during the day!

What keeps me on for so long is my subscription to Netflix. I actually only let myself watch my new dvd's while I'm working out. I do not watch them at any other time, so, if I want to finish a movie or start one of the new ones I want to watch, then I have to get my backside down to the basement to do it.

Welcome to the BFL group!

srmb60 11-26-2006 09:26 PM

I'll admit that I read BFL a long time ago. I even started it once. I've learned a lot since I started eating 1200 cals no matter what they were made of and walking every chance I got.
I now KNOW that there are four parts to losing weight and staying slim and healthy. They're in my signature :)
Body for Life puts them all together for me. It's plain speaking, laid out in a nice doable easy to follow format. It doesn't care if I've never been sporty. It doesn't care if I can't run a lick! I can still use my fitday to which I am addicted. I eat right for my blood type and I can still do that. I get to eat several times a day. I pick something from lists a, b and c and there's my meal. And as Fran says ... I can do something like it for the rest of my life.

srmb60 11-27-2006 05:21 AM

Here's something else .... the very most basic exercise concept is this .... cardio one day and weights the next. Like this ....
Monday-cardio
Tues-upper body
Wed-cardio
Thurs- lower body
Friday- cardio
Saturday-upper body
And Sunday-resting

Sugar Cube 11-27-2006 11:00 AM

SUSANB - Yes, definitely thanks for the nudge. Like you said, I can do this program, the exercise and the eating right through the holidays. I switched out T-day for my Free Day but have found that I no longer go wild with eating on my Free Day, sure I may use butter or have ice cream, but overall, I prefer brown rice, WW bread and sweet potatoes.

FRAN - Love the whole getting ahead of exercise before vacation idea. Sounds like a great idea, though I am not going to be able to match your workout yesterday. Great deal w/ Netflix.

KIWI - when on the treadmill, I watch a lot of TV, especially news, it cycles around so I miss something, I can catch it again. Also, I do lots of interval work, jogging, inclines, things like that. My limit is about an hour and mostly do 30 minutes at a time. And being fit definately makes exercising more fun is some ways, feeling stronger kind of thing. Good for you on getting with the program.

Right now, I am banking the great fall weather for exercising outside, doing some intervals and walking everywhere I can, saving up for those days when the cold New England weather becomes oppressive. Also, DH and I gave ourselves a boost and have looked into renting a cottage for a long weekend in February for skiing, snowshoeing, and relaxing by the fireplace (our current house doesn't have a fireplace and DH misses it very very badly.) They take kids and the dog, so we are pretty excited about that.

Great day to all.

Sugar Cube 11-27-2006 11:13 AM

:cheers:

:congrat: Mrs. Nelie.

How are you settling into married life? glad to hear you had a nice time at the wedding though hectic, the bride should never take pictures at her own wedding.

kiwichic 11-27-2006 03:33 PM

can I ask, what's Netflix ?
I don't have a treadmill at home, I have to use the one at the gym, they have a tv there in the ladies room but, they have the music on so loud you can't hear it. And I've not actually learnt how to use the treadmill settings . I am also worried that if I go to hard on the treadmill I might fall off it instead of step of it :D . I love skiing, I did a whole season in Kitzbul when I was younger, those were the days.

SusanB I would love to do the bfl challenge .
How did you pick your workout ? there are so many exercise's to chose from.

and why did you chose 1200 calories ? did you start with that amount right from the start or did you start with more and go down as you lost ?

cheers :)

srmb60 11-27-2006 04:41 PM

1200 cals? Well you see, I'm a nurse and ya know nurses just know sooo much (er think we do) If we feed diabetics 2200, 1800, 1200 or 800 calories depending on their size and activity level ... well I thought 1200 sounded good to me!
I did lose weight but that's not Body for Life.

You can see what I eat by clicking on the fitday link in my profile.

Eat the way they recommend in the book. Between cleaning up your food, eating smaller portions and exercising, you'll lose weight without countiing calories.

Workouts? The books recommend upper body one day, lower body another. The books have examples, so does the website, so does Krista at www.stumptuous.com . There are literally hundreds of exercises to choose from. You should never get bored with weight lifting days.

What about that gym? Is there someone there who could get you started on a two day split?

And just ask someone to help you with that treadmill. We can't have you getting hurt now can we?

sportmom 11-27-2006 05:17 PM

WWW.NETFLIX.COM

kiwichic 11-27-2006 08:09 PM

love that site susanb, I've saved it.
I was reading about the womens stuff and menstration, that's a time when I just don't even want to leave the house let a lone my bed. In fact I had to cut short my first workout today because of it :o .

Well I tried out the 4kg,5kg and 6kg weights on my arm and it was fine which suprised me, but I'm pleased . So I will put together a routine for the gym and see how i go.
My problem with putting together a workout before , was chosing what to do :dizzy: .

srmb60 11-28-2006 05:31 AM

I'm impressed! I can't do much for arms with 6kgs! I'm a weinie little woman, have I mentioned that?

I had a good legs workout yesterday. I got watching a couple of true crime shows and spent over an hour but it wasn't all with weights. I did some things I remember from Buns of Steel! :D

I walk every morning that I don't work (for fat loss, fresh air and to combat housewives disease). But last night I was just plain restless so I went for a short walk/jog after supper.

Except for some fig newtons ... my food was good. I'm going to try doing without fitday for a few days. I've had another reminder that BFL is NOT about counting calories. I'll try to pay attention.

Su-Bee 11-28-2006 09:40 AM

Today was Day 7 BFL for me. Still worked out b/c I won't be able to tomorrow, so moved the rest day. Every day, I feel like Bill Phillips has kicked my butt, yet I still worry about not doing the amount of cardio that I did before this, or (b/c less cardio & more weights) burning fewer calories, or eating more (b/c I HAVE to to get in my 6 protein-good carb meals, even with small portions!).

I am scared. I am scared that it won't work, that my body won't change, that I will gain weight b/c I am not doing an hour plus of cardio a day, that I am working so hard and it won't mean anything. I am scared b/c it is so different than what I have tried to do before - where the goal was always to build endurance, be able to work out longer, burn more calories with aerobic exercise, and eat less less less. I am scared to "feed my body" the way Bill Phillips says, even though it makes sense.

I know, I am being neurotic and stupid. But thanks for letting me vent.