Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2003, 06:43 PM   #31  
Mel

Default Tuesday

Clean eats, HEAVY leg day. My butt has hurt since 3pm and I expect it too be even more painful tomorrow. Here's what we did today:

4 sets squats, raising weights. (sort of job interview between sets.)
1 set of pyramiding squats on squat machine starting wth 2 45 lb plates: I just kept squatting, while Robert kept loading 25 lb plates on til I passed out. I did 55 squats, no rest. More chat about job.
60 squats as a drop set, where he raced from side to side taking plates off while I kept going. Did 60 before I thought my butt was gonna fall off. Then super setted lying hacksquats (1/2 rep, full rep X 15) with quad extensions. Nasty, nasty. 200 yards walking lunges with 30 lb short bar, chatted for first 100 yards, gasped for second. Ham curls, 15 X 4. These felt good after the rest. Sick. Finished off with 90 second wall sit with toes up. No, actually finished by falling on face

End result of the weirdest job interview I ever had (at least I didn't have to dress up) is that I'm now on the trainer roster for my gym, and will start do the intro freebie sessions and fitness assessments when new folks join, and that's my chnce to talk them into using ME as a personal trainer. It's low key selling, not one of those places where a trainer keeps popping in your face telling you you need help. Only when asked, and at the initial session. I hope I get started soon, I'm psyched!
Chris- Sorry to hear about your arm. Right choice on the chocolate, though it does release lovely endorphins if you eat enough. Like about 40 lbs.

JC- I'm glad you are back. Thoughts are with you.

mel
Old 10-22-2003, 06:51 PM   #32  

Mel

CONGRATS!! I would be afraid NOT to hire someone who could do that kind of leg workout. Just reading it made me want to cuddle up with a bag of ice lol

Anyways, Im off to bed, you have a great day!

Tidey
Old 10-22-2003, 08:37 PM   #33  
Ilene the Bean

Good Grief Mel!! I was exhausted just reading your leg workout... But CONGRATS on your new job They have found a special trainter, THEY are the lucky ones
Old 10-22-2003, 10:40 PM   #34  

Hi JC welcome back. I hope you feel better soon. Take care of yourself.

And Mel, congrtulations! I would love to have you as a personal trainer; what a shame we're on opposite sides of the planet.

Of late, I've been fairly good with my eating and exercise. I'm doing a detox thigumajig, and to my pleasant surprise, it's not really affected my lifting thus far(one week down, one more week to go). Perhaps I might have a delayed reaction though. Oh well.

Take care everyone and be good!
Old 10-22-2003, 11:11 PM   #35  
Searching

congratulations mel! that sounds like a really tough interview, my legs r aching for u!

chris
Old 10-23-2003, 03:25 PM   #36  
Searching

good afternoon ladies

really fighting against some depression today. no pity parties for the 1 armed girl. i just had all my workouts for the week planned and now my 20 min hiit today has turned into go to the gym and walk slow on the treadmill. i figure some continuous movement is better than none at all.

so where is everyone today?
chris
Old 10-23-2003, 07:04 PM   #37  

at home, still sick. the wracking coughing does NOT suggest vigorous cardio to me so... *hack*

Tidey
Old 10-24-2003, 05:59 AM   #38  
Meg

TGIF, gang! Anyone doing anything special for the weekend? It’s the time-change weekend (for most of us) and DH is in heaven because he finally gets back the hour of sleep that they took from him in the spring (I accused him of being grumpy ever since ) This will be the first weekend DH has been home for quite a while due to a lot of business traveling, so I’m going to make him a special dinner tonight and get out the candles and wine (and we’ll probably both just fall asleep on our plates!) One of his fav dinners is fusilli with a sauce made from Italian sausage, fennel, and a red wine reduction, so I’ll make that and get some chiabbata bread to dip in olive oil (for him). For me? Probably the usual salmon and salad, but I like it!

I was crippled after my leg workout on Monday (I don't think they’ve ever hurt that much) but they’re finally OK today — just in time for Legs 2: Return Of The Trainer From ****! I took yesterday off from working out (just did a little cardio) because I realized it had been eight days in a row and I was beat. So I housecleaned instead (which at least WW considers as exercise — you can earn Activity Points for it!).

JC — welcome back! We all missed you! I’m sure this was a very difficult time for you and hope that your life is getting back to normal. It will be great to have you back posting with us.

Waiting for Miss Dip to give us her Friday report …. so glad that Venuto is helpful to you.

Congratulations on the job, Mel! I chuckled all through the description of the job interview. Have you started? What do you wear to work? Any clients yet? Be merciful on those poor souls who are just starting out —- remember, it takes most people a little time to work up to 300# squats!

Healing vibes out to all the sick and injured. DS came down with the latest cold/virus going around our high school (a cesspool of germs) and missed two days of school but I’ve escaped with only a brief sore throat. I think it’s all the vitamin C I’ve been taking for the past year. I seem to still catch the colds that DS brings home, but they only last about a day.

Ilene — are you working again??? I hate that — it interferes with your posting! Miss you!

Have a great weekend, everyone!

Meg
Old 10-24-2003, 06:59 AM   #39  
Ilene the Bean

Hello Gang!!

Hi Meg I miss you too! I really DISLIKE working full days. They certainly interfere with my posting, and one MUST post several times/day to feel good!

Karen Where are YOU!

I've been busy reading and working... I am reading everywhere, here at the 'puter I've downloaded the "Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle" book and am loving it... In the bathroom I'm reading the novel "The Quality of Life Report" by Meghan Daum, I'm liking that too... and downstairs I'm reading "Strong Women Eat Well" ... So at all my favorite spots I have reading glasses and a book to fill any idle time I may have...

Food has been 100% this week...
Workouts, individually they have been 100% but Wed. and Thurs. I slept right through my alarm one day and forgot to turn it on the next! Oh well, I don't worry about those days, because I so rarely miss workouts, that in the whole picture of things, it's a drop in the bucket...

I'm really lovin' the Burn the Fat book, I'm only at the part of the positive affimation. Here's is my new mantra: "I'm a lean, clean, workin' machine" ... Does anyone else have a postivie affimation matra? I think we should ALL have one...

Well I have to go and shower to go to WORK!!!

Later all~~
Old 10-24-2003, 08:52 AM   #40  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

G'morning Meg, Illene, and gang -

No matter how much you like your work - it can still get in the way can't it Illene? I am ready for Thanksgiving break, for one thing I'm ready for my baby to come home from college and spend some quality time with me. And then, I just want to not get up and go to work for a few days. Oh well, it'll be here before we know it.

I have had a great week. Illene, my new mantra is repeating the number I will weigh by a certain date ala Venuto's suggestion such as, I am so happy I will weigh ___ by Jan. 18. So far it's working. I have had a 3 1/2 lb. loss since Sunday. My life is divided into semesters because of my profession. So far this semester I have lost 16.25 lbs., 7 of which are NEW lbs. meaning I haven't lost and regained them in the last year. :-) Anyway, one of these days I am going to confess my actual weight. I feel myself slipping up on a number that I might actually feel comfortable talking about.

Seriously, when I think on what has made the difference the last couple of months, it is the fact I am eating less. I have decreased to 5 meals from 6 and one of those meals I don't have a carb. I seem to have finally shed the idea of free day, though I do relax things a bit and have a couple of treats over the weekend. Each treat is considered a meal and though it might not be nutritionally balanced, it generally isn't a huge infusion of calories. And it is just one on Sat. and one on Sun. - ok, this is when I am being good but being good has been coming more frequently of late.

I am stoked. I ordered my skinfold calipers yesterday. I am worried that my bf # will be more than the caliper can measure, we'll see on that one.

Have a great weekend everyone.
Old 10-24-2003, 09:26 AM   #41  
Uber-Moderator!!

Oh I be here...

Just been super busy doing other stuff. Killed my legs this morning...I'm sure I'll be feeling it big-time tomorrow (just in time for another dressage lesson...aarrgh...well that's what I get). I did supersets and megasets - because Chalupa Boy decided at 3:30 am this morning that it was time for me to WAKE UP darn it!!! So I figured...what the heck...got to the gym at 4:15 so I had the squat rack and leg press to myself. It was kind of an impulse to really kick out the jams and do a HUGE leg workout.
Glutamine time!

Speaking of my riding lessons on Dakota - they're going really well. I take a lesson on Tuesday nights with Dee Dee now as well as Saturday morning with her assistant. Dee Dee commented on how much my riding has improved since I started leasing Dakota. We're doing more and more dressage riding - quite a bit different, posture-wise, from hunt seat, where generally you do a lot of leaning forward (in preparation to jump). Dressage is more of a straight-back seat with hips forward...probably not explaining that really well...Dee wants me to do a show in the next six months with Dakota but it really depends on $$$ and what Dakota's owner feels about it. Even though he has an AWESOME show record, she didn't buy him to show - just to ride and enjoy. But I admit a schooling show would be fun...expensive but fun!

Venuto IS great, isn't he? I printed out the book using our copier at work - two-sided pages - and put it in a thin binder with numbered tabs, so I could go to any chapter I choose. I do a lot of highlighting certain points and making notes in the margins. Good news - I got an email from the library and the Dr. Phil book is waiting for me - I'm going to pick it up today and start reading it tonight. Anyone else watching the show? This past Monday's was pretty good - cleaning their environment. I was amazed at how much crap these people had in their kitchens, even though they had been doing the program for some weeks now I suppose...I'm going to try and set a couple hours aside for closet-cleaning today - I've got a lot of old clothes that I MUST get rid of, not necessarily the size thing but I just haven't worn them in eons. Of course, with me spending a TON of time at the stables, babysitting at night, Breeder's Cup tomorrow (I always try and watch it - this year it's being held at Santa Anita - a stone's throw from where Jim grew up - he worked there for awhile too) and to top it off, we are having another heat wave this weekend - supposed to be in the mid-to-upper 80's today and tomorrow! Whew!!!

Gotta hit the shower...
Old 10-24-2003, 11:23 AM   #42  

Hi LWL!

I've been lurking the last 2 days- just busier than I'd rather be with other things.

Did my AM cardio this morning ala Venuto, burned 450 calories at top speed and another 75 just cooling down. I feel so great afterward. Yesterday I had to split it up because my legs were killing me from up and down/balancing on a ladder. Much different from leg work-outs in the hurt dept.

DH copied my Venuto book onto a CD and ran it off double-sided too and put it in a binder. Thanks for the tip about tabbing the chapters, Karen. I have sticky notes sticking out all over the pages, as well as highlighter. I am so thrilled about how he lays out food combinations. Hello, now I get it!

I've been following Dr. Phil Show too and reviewing each chapter in the book trying to keep up with the Book Club. BTW, send some of that heat this way - (if I can just figure out a way to manipulate the jetstream) - it's cold here and "snow showers" are predicted for Monday night. I'm not ready for this yet.

Mel - when I read your post the other day, I thought you were kidding. OMG, that is beyond my realm. Maybe some day!

Meg - your dinner sounds divine and romantic, but the falling asleep in the plate part, I can sure relate. LOL. Not to keep you in suspense, I am down 2# this week, and another inch off the waist, but that took a month. I met with my insurance agent this week after not seeing her for 6 months. When I walked in, her mouth dropped open. I am ordering my black leather jacket reward today so it will be here for 10/31 when I make my goal. I promise I won't wear it until I hit 198.

Tidey - please get well soon!

Ilene - I miss your posts too!

ledom - how you doing this week? Meeting goals?

Chris - the one-armed silly scientist - how's it doing?

Hi to everyone, and you all have a good weekend. I have to hit the shower and go get my flu shot and some groceries. Check back later.

dip
Old 10-24-2003, 02:16 PM   #43  
Meg

Default Back From The Gym

I just limped in from Leg Day at the gym — me too, Karen! This was supposed to be “light” legs since I’m doing legs twice a week now. OK, let me tell you what ”light” means to my trainer:

3 sets extensions
3 sets lying curls
3 sets lying leg press (last one a drop set)
4 sets hack squats with a 5 second hold at the bottom, supersetted with jumps straddling an aerobic step (start in a squat , jump on the step and immediately back down into a squat)
3 sets leg press with the same hold, supersetted with squat jumps facing the step, land in a squat and back down in a squat
2 sets calves on the leg press
3 sets BB lunges off the step
3 more sets extensions
3 sets lying curls
3 sets each abductor and adductor, ending in drop sets

Hmmm this didn’t feel “light” to me! I guess I’m just a wimp. Well, I have the weekend to recover because Monday will be “heavy” legs.

Dip — congratulations on the two pounds! I’ve lost track — are you at 200 NOW? If that’s right, then this is the day or two of your life that you’ll spent in the 200s — after this, it’s 100s all the way! Woo hoo! I can’t wait for next Friday to see that number!

Meg
Old 10-24-2003, 05:27 PM   #44  
Mel

Default Light Leg Day?

That doesn't look very light to me, either. Especially those jump squats in there. I do those every once in a while when my knees are feeling super invincible. That's not real often

Dip and Ledom- Congrats on the the successes! Venuto really does make so much sense. I've decided I've been trying to starve myself, been lowcarbing too long, and that's why I have some major downfalls.

Ilene- Sounds like you've had a great week, except for working too much . Really does put a crimp in life, doesn't it?

Chris- How's the arm? Hope it's getting better.

Karen- If you really get into dressage and showing, come to the Devon Horse Show! It's the Grandaddy of all shows (at least in the east) and only about 15 minutes from my house.

I've got the mild sore throat and headache thing going too- popped a couple of tylenols and went and did a good back and tri workout, but now I'm ready to just go to bed. Ds was home today with it and a stomach crud- Oh joy, I hope I don't get that part, too.

No clients yet , but the second gym hasn't had it's "grand opening" yet. I figure that's when I'll be able to pick up some business. In the mean time, there's plenty to work on, on ME!

Gotta go play taxi,
mel
Old 10-24-2003, 08:06 PM   #45  
Lovin' Zumba!

Hey gals - I'm back, and trying to get caught up on all of your posts. Got back in town Monday, late, and have had an incredibly hectic week at work playing catch-up!
C3 is going pretty good for me, food-wise, but I've not done much working out. I did Tues. and Wed. workouts this week, but then I caught the bug you've all been having, and decided to let myself rest yesterday and today, since I am running a bit of a fever, in addition to the sinus congestion.
Cindy
Closed Thread