Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2003, 04:00 AM   #1  
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

Default help!!!!

i need to strenghten my grip. i want to start doing dumbell shrugs. the problem is my shoulders are much stronger than my grip. i can do 2 shrugs with 99lb dumbell in each hand. but then my grip fails and i drop them but my shoulders hardly notice that i done shrugs. how can i get my grip strong so i can knock out some really huge shrugs?
Old 10-26-2003, 04:35 AM   #2  

Pick up a 20lb plate and hold it by the edge with your arms at your sides. Hold it for as long as you can. Work your way up to heavier plates and/or longer times This should help.

Tidey
Old 10-26-2003, 12:47 PM   #3  
Mel

Default In the meantime...

You can still do really heavy shrugs if you use lifting straps: cheap cotton webbing that loops around your wrist, then you wrap the other end around the dumbell. If you work out at a gym, ask a trainer or anyone who lifts really heavy to show you how to wrap them. This way a lot of the weight is taken off your grip, so you can work your traps to failure before your hands give out.

Straps are handy for deadlifts, dumbell rows, lat pulls- anything where the muscle that you want to target is stronger than your grip.

Another way to work on grip strength is just walk around the gym carrying the heaviest dumbells that you can, for as long as you can.

mel
Old 10-26-2003, 12:56 PM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

The lifting straps were my suggestion also...
Closed Thread