Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 12-16-2011, 07:47 PM   #76  

Veronica,

Thanks for your reply. It turns out I had a hiatal hernia that needed to be repaired as well so I am very sore and very tired. I am not sure how you skipped the pain meds because going six hours for me is bad. I am incredibly black and blue today. Follow up on Monday due to the holidays being next week.
mngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 11:36 AM   #77  

Glad to hear your hernia got repaired. My mom has one and I recently talked her into getting it repaired, but hers has gotten so big that it is currently inoperable due to the need for surgical mesh. They said I have a very small one but I don't know if they fixed it or not - probably so. I can imagine you are tired and sore from getting that additional bit of surgery done. My boyfriend drove me to work on the Friday after surgery and picked me up. I was poppin pain pills in the driveway as we left my office Friday afternoon; the soreness caught up with me and I was really tired (I am no superwoman). My surgery was at the end of November and I still have one bruise. When they gave me the anti-clotting shot in my abdomen, the nurse did a bad job of it and I still have an ugly bruise in that spot.

Just don't push yourself too hard. I hope you have plenty of help and support at home; I think that is what made things so much easier for me. Glad to hear you came through it all well. Isn't this exciting, a new phase of life learning to eat like a 'normal person'. I want to break my food addiction so bad and I know this tool (like any other) is not the solution for every person. But I am hoping I have finally found the one that works for me.

Best of luck to you,

Veronica

Today 228 - woo!!

Last edited by Veronica Blossom; 12-17-2011 at 11:37 AM.
Veronica Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 01:33 PM   #78  

Veronica: Did the pressure on your side from the weight of the device become less noticable? I feel like my abdomen is distended and tight, which is probably from the surgery, but with the added pressure of the device on my side, I'm feeling pretty miserable and can't get comfortable. Also, I'm curious about the anti-clotting shot they gave you. How did they determine that you needed that? I've been having pain in my left breast and it crossed my mind that I should be aware of the risk of clots.
pdxloser71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:56 AM   #79  

The pressure will ease up, but it will still probably take 2 weeks before you can get comfortable. I think everyone got the anti-clotting shot. I believe I know one reason why you might be having pain in your left breast but I could be wrong (not dangerous). But I don't think I can say why (protocol). Write down when you have the pains, you might see a pattern. I think if it continues you should tell the nurse at the clinic to make sure it isn't something they need to check on.

Veronica
Old 12-27-2011, 11:27 AM   #80  

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxloser71 View Post
Veronica: Did the pressure on your side from the weight of the device become less noticable? I feel like my abdomen is distended and tight, which is probably from the surgery, but with the added pressure of the device on my side, I'm feeling pretty miserable and can't get comfortable. Also, I'm curious about the anti-clotting shot they gave you. How did they determine that you needed that? I've been having pain in my left breast and it crossed my mind that I should be aware of the risk of clots.
I am suffering from the same thing, especially at night and I am soooo itchy
Old 12-27-2011, 02:51 PM   #81  

Default Itcy

mngal -- I was horribly itchy -- to the point of tears actually. Then I was told to actually lightly scrub my entire belly with one of those net loofa things. It was a miracle. You are probably having a slight allergy to the medicine they used and there is a little bit left on your skin.

Good luck.
Lorislosinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 05:42 PM   #82  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorislosinit View Post
mngal -- I was horribly itchy -- to the point of tears actually. Then I was told to actually lightly scrub my entire belly with one of those net loofa things. It was a miracle. You are probably having a slight allergy to the medicine they used and there is a little bit left on your skin.

Good luck.
Bless you
Old 12-27-2011, 10:57 PM   #83  

I was itchy until I removed all bandages. They were actually causing my itchiness. I have been using MSM soap and putting vitamin E on my incisions and now I'm not itchy at all! The heaviness on my side is getting better. I was actually able to sleep on my side last night. I still have to sleep on the couch as laying flat on my bed is not comfortable.

I've also lost 4 pounds since my surgery on the 15th! I'm finding that if I eat the amount I normally would, I feel uncomfortably full. It's a learning curve I guess!
Old 12-28-2011, 02:33 PM   #84  

Hi everyone. Hope you are all doing well post surgery. Just wanted to check in and let you know it gets better. I'm about 2 1/2 months post surgery and I don't really have any issues. Things revert to normal, so if you guys are having discomfort/problems, don't let them worry you too much, it get's better.
I'm losing weight too. It's not a rapid drop like you hear about from those with lap band or bypass. It's more gradual, but it is happening. I kind of was expecting this huge drop, but I'm happy in the direction I'm going. I lost about 10 lbs pre-surgery on my own and another 20 lbs or so since surgery.

hope you guys are all having success as well!
chubbyhubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:47 PM   #85  

Good to hear that everyone is doing well. I was pretty itchy too but not as much as mngal I think. I did get a brush to do dry skin brushing to help with loose skin and I was using that to deal with the itchiness - also a net scrubbie in the shower helped. I have lost 25 lbs now; 8 the month before surgery and then 17 since Nov. 30. I have noticed that the rate of loss appears to be slowing down some, but I don't care -I feel great and I am looking forward to losing as much as I can up to another 80 lbs. I thought Christmas was going to be tough, but I ate prime rib and veggies and one glass of wine and I was satisfied. Chubby is right about not getting too hung up on discomfort because it does pass. Ladies, do avoid the underwire bras - I got some kind of energy feedback off mine under my left breast - was hilarious but uncomfortable for a few days til I called in and found out the bra was the problem.

Cheers to all and a happy new year!

Veronica
Old 01-01-2012, 03:33 PM   #86  

Default Hi I'm new to this Forum and just had the surgery.

Hello All,

I am 10 days post op after having the VBLOC surgery and was very happy to find all of you. I think this will be a wonderful support. I do not go in for my first Postop visit until Jan.4 (three more days). I thought my recovery was going well until yesterday when the pain from the devise has brought me to tears several times throughout the day. I originally took the prescribed pain killers but after two doses switched to Advil. But now with this intense pain I am taking a couple Vicoprofen my brother gave me. It really helps but I go back to work tomorrow and can NOT be on anything while working.
Have any of you had pain like this?

I think you are all great for all you are doing to change your lives and with this forum helping others as well.

Thank you and look forward to chatting with you all.
cake walk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:50 PM   #87  

Hi Cake Walk. I'm 18 days post op and really have no pain, just a heaviness from the weight of the device. I think if you still are requiring pain killers you should definately give them a call. I stopped pain killers at about 5 days post op and then went to regular Advil a couple times a day.

Does anyone find that the charging device is confusing to read? I haven't charged my device since 12/29 and it still says I have 5 bars (I'm on a level 3). I don't go in until the 5th and am concerned it isn't working somehow or that I am not reading the handheld device correctly.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:04 AM   #88  

Hi Everyone! I had my surgery on Dec. 19th and glad to read all of your comments. To CakeWalk, YES I am having the same type of pain. Every so often, if I turn a certain way or bend wrong, I get this awful pain near the surgery site that brings me to tears! I have to take a deep breath and be still for a few moments. Then it goes away. I am not sure what it is or why??? I am still taking advil/tylenol for the pain episodes but had to go off the strong stuff in order to work, drive, etc.
I have a question for everyone.... did your clinic pay for your prescriptions? When I left the hospital, they gave me a prescription for a stool softener and pain killer but said it was my responsibility to get it filled (???) Also, I was never given antibiotics before or after the surgery. Any comments about this?
My incision is healing well but I thought it was odd that I did not receive antibiotics. I am down 9 lbs since my surgery...yippee!
ksjoem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 02:49 PM   #89  

Thank you both. I am going in today to get this pain checked out. I will let you know what they say.

I was never given any antibiotics but obviously didn't need them as all incisions look great. I did pay for my own Meds. I have insurance so it wasn't much.

Leaving for the Dr. now so will get back soon

Blessings

Cake Walk
Old 01-02-2012, 02:51 PM   #90  

P.S. ksjoem,
CONGRATS ON THE DOWN 9.
CW