Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 06-06-2012, 02:19 PM   #136  

S/C/G: 247/220/150

Height: 5'5"

Default New to Forum - Anyone Have More Updates?

So, I had the surgery for the Recharge study the second week of December 2011. I'm coming up on my 6 month visit this week. I've lost about 26 pounds. Seems to not be a consistent loss each week and this month have lost no weight. Haven't lost as much as I'd like or as quickly as I'd like. How is everyone else doing?
I have no idea if I have a working implant or if my weight loss is just due to keeping food logs and calorie restriction. I haven't exercised as much as I did the first few months due to a very demanding new job, so that might be contributing to showing no weight loss for this past month :-(
I really want to lose more! If I could just lose another 26 pounds I'd feel like I was really making some progress. I'm averaging 1250 to 1440 calories a day. (but occasionally straying and having a higher calorie day). It still seems really hard to stay on track. I will say I've learned a lot about making food choices. I still don't always make the best choice, but I do a whole lot better than I ever have before. Don't know if that's because I'm logging it in and actually seeing all the calories and nutrients add up, or if I'm not as ravenously hungry all the time. I do still get hungry if I don't eat regularly and do get hungry at night sometimes. Does anyone else use a high tech food & exercise tracker? I've been using myfitnesspal.com and very happy with that for both computer and smart phone.
katcestlavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:06 PM   #137  

I have not lost any additional weight. No Chang in my appetite. Not impressed!!!
I walk 3-5 days a week, but have stopped logging. I am ready to be done. I feel like this has been a waste of time. I have a 4-5 inch scar, my device has given me a bulge and it's hard to sleep on my side. Probably all worth it if I lost weight but with a 4 pound weight loss....Anyone else feeling like this?
Desertchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 03:28 AM   #138  

Hi Desertchick. Sorry to hear this hasn't worked well for you. I thought maybe I didn't get the activated device and that just keeping my food logs and the placebo effect had helped me lose some weight. It sounds more like you might have gotten the "control group" non-activated one. Maybe I did get an active device...?

Of course, I wanted to lose much more weight twice as fast, but I'm happy that I've lost the 26 pounds so far. It's definitely not a magic bullet, but I have noticed a little bit of a reduced appetite, and I seem to get full a little easier than in the past. I have about a 4 inch scar, but it is fading a bit. I have a little bit of a bulge, and can feel the device in my side. For the longest time I couldn't lay or be comfortable on that side, but now it's much better and I can actually sleep on that side.

I'm pretty satisfied so far, I have lost some weight and do notice some difference in hunger levels. I'm interested to see what the next 6 months brings. If I keep losing (however small the loss is), then I'll be satisfied and stick with it. It's not fast, and it's still not easy, but I'm making some changes and learning a lot along the way.

I totally agree with how you feel. If I hadn't lost any weight, or if I'd only lost 3-5 pounds, I'd be disappointed and wouldn't feel like it was worth it.

If you find out your device isn't active, and had the chance to "upgrade" to an active device, do you think you'd give it a try? Would it be more worth it if you thought you could lose 25 pounds in 6 months? (I'd be more excited about it myself if I'd lost 45-50 pounds in the first 6 months, but I'm ready to give it another 6 months to see how it goes.)

Anyone else out there have any progress reports? ksjoem... sounds like you're doing great!
Old 06-16-2012, 11:54 AM   #139  

I think it would have been more worth it for 25-30 pound weight loss but not for 3-4 pounds. The recovery was much more than I anticipated from the information provided and at this point don't know if I would do the surgery again except to have it removed. I'm actually hoping its a live device so that I don't have to make that decision! Lol! I have developed an exercise routine so although my bum hasn't shrunk I believe it's been good cardiovascularly!!!! We all knew it was a gamble! I had hoped that live or not it would help to motivate me, hold me accountable, and give me incentive.

I am glad to hear that the device has worked for some and do believe that it could be a great tool for a lot of people.

Has anyone flown with the device? Made it past TSA without setting it off?

Great hearing from you - it's fun to find out where others are at! Keep in touch, and posting your progress!
Old 06-16-2012, 11:51 PM   #140  

Hi Desertchick,
I know what you mean about the recovery process. I thought it was going to be much easier than it was. Don't know why I thought I'd be up and about within a couple of weeks, but it took a bit longer than I'd expected.

I've actually taken a business trip flight recently and it was absolutely not a problem. The small airport I flew out of didn't have the advanced screening so I did have to do a quick pat down, but coming back out of a larger airport it was a breeze, absolutely no different than going through security in the past.

It sounds like you've gotten into a great exercise routine, I still am working on that. I did much better with that in the beginning, but I was between jobs at the time and had plenty of time on my hands to take lots of walks and go to the gym. Then about 3 months ago I got a new job, very demanding, and I just haven't been able to get into a routine.

I've done better at eating healthier, but I still slip up now and again. I go several days without tracking and logging, and that really makes a difference. I'm a lot more aware of what I'm eating when I actually log everything. It's no fun, but I've come to the conclusion that I'm really just going to have to do that for a very long time if not permanently.

Keep in touch & let us know how you're doing and what you find out about your device and decide to do.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:48 PM   #141  

Hi everyone. I just went today for my 6 month visit and I was not down .4 for the month....boy this past month has been terrible as far as weight loss goes. I'm fluctuating big time and so frustrated. My hunger cravings have been off the chain and so I asked the nurse to turn up the voltage and she said that I could not because I was way past the expected weight loss target at this time. She said that I should be at 15 or 16 pounds at the 6 month mark and I am at 35. Don't get me wrong, I am SO happy with my progress but it seems so slow. I truly think my weight loss is due to discipline and calorie counting. There are times I do not eat but am starving. I just love food too much and enjoy good southern cooking! lol. I did slip up more last month and enjoyed too many sweets and breads. I think going only once a month hurts me and thus I cheat more than I should. I have a few colleagues that are on the mediastinal diet and have have lost 50 or more pounds since January..ugh! I just need to get back on track and focused again! I hope to be down at least 5 pounds at my next appt. in july. Wish me luck and keep me posted on how you all are doing
ksjoem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:08 PM   #142  

Default vbloc diarrhea

Lost 46 pounds in 7 mos but had to have the device removed due to diarrhea and dehydration. Turns out the vagus nerve can cause diarrhea when over stimulated
mngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:32 PM   #143  

Mngal- Sorry to hear you had to have your device removed, but sounds like you had great weight loss! Hope you are doing well after your surgery, and I wish you continued success with your diet and exercise
Old 07-29-2012, 08:58 PM   #144  

Mngl, did you find out if your device was activated before it was removed? I am still holding steady at 35 pounds lost and it is a struggle everyday to lose any weight. I am at a stand still and a bit discouraged. So glad to hear you lost 47 pounds...keep it off and continue to work hard. Any thoughts about another procedure, etc?
Old 10-07-2012, 08:22 PM   #145  

How is everyone doing?
Old 11-11-2012, 10:54 AM   #146  

Haven't heard from anyone lately....just checkin in. Holla back!!!
Old 11-26-2012, 10:41 AM   #147  

I went for my November visit 2 weeks ago and was told that it will be January,possibly February before we get to find out if we got the "real deal" or placebo. At this point it doesn't matter to me-I am ready to have my device removed and move on. I found out in October that we will not be told the results of the study until much later-probably when the data is submitted for FDA approval. Ugh!
Anyone else heading this, or something different?
Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!
Old 11-30-2012, 11:53 AM   #148  

Hi Desertchick, they told me the same thing...UGH Of course, this is not what they told us when we had the device implanted. I was told 1 year! Now its going to be February or March before I find out...crap! I have only lost 35 pounds and fluctuate like crazy. I am convinced that my device is not on. How are you doing on weight loss? I go back Dec.10 for my 1 year appt. Hoping to be down a couple pounds since I am going to the bahamas over christmas. Keep in touch
Old 12-04-2012, 09:52 AM   #149  

Hi Ks, I have lost 14 pounds just in the last several months. I have been exercising 5-6 days per week and doing low carb. I did this because I need to lose weight-I'm sure I'm not turned on, and at this point I feel I've really been misled on some many levels.
Can't wait to have this taken out-except for the surgery part! That was not easy. Red flag #1!
I don't think overall this has been worth it; what do you think?
Hang in there - there is a light at the end of the tunnel!
Take care!
Old 02-12-2013, 12:52 AM   #150  

How is everyone doing? Any word on being unblinded? I haven't been given adage yet.