Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2003, 12:28 PM   #211  
Mommy, wife, teacher

Noelle, the ratio for preschool in CT is 2 teachers to 18 children. They will allow 2 to 20 only in emergency situations. For Kindergarten, 2 to 25 is normal, but definitely not for 4 year olds. You definitely don't sound paranoid. You have every right to be concerned. I hate to tell you this, but in order to get my daughter into a good pre-k program, I had to get her on the waiting list when she was an infant. Since you don't have that option, look for a NAEYC (National Association for the Education of Young Children) accredited preschool. That is the accreditation I am pursuing. Any program that is NAEYC accredited is guaranteed to be an excellent program. I'm afraid that those may be the programs that are already full. So, this is what you want to look for: Teachers should interact with children at the child's eye level. They should welcome parents to come in and visit whenever they want, no appointment needed. They must be friendly. You should see signs of cultural diversity. There should be blocks, legos, playdoh, tons of books with a cozy reading area, a sand/water table, puzzles, dress-up clothes, a play kitchen or pretend area, all sorts of arts and crafts materials, examples of children's work that look child created, an outdoor playground, lots of space. It must be very clean and safety must be a priority. There should be at least one staff who is certified in child CPR and first aid. They should have an emergency plan in place. They should have a sick child policy. There should be open communication between parents and teachers including a monthly newsletter, phone calls, daily chats or notes. It seems like a lot, but this is your baby. He deserves nothing but the BEST. Good luck in your search. Hope this was helpful. Summer
Old 06-27-2003, 02:39 PM   #212  
so close, yet so far...

S/C/G: wanna be 135

Height: 5'3"

Talking Happy Friday!!!

Summer thanks so much for your valuable input. As we speak I have an appointment to view another facility in about 15 minutes. I think this one may be a Monetessori school but I'm not sure--I don't even have a clear understanding to what that philosophy is either . I'm using this time (aside from posting here) to check out the NAEYC accredited sites here on our island. I had no idea there was such a thing. The center I looked at previously (which had the high child/teacher ratio) is working their way toward accredidation (sp?) and has their programs structured in that respect. Most, if not all of the things you mentioned, they had. This particular preschool is a part of a group of 11 preschools w/locations around the island. When I looked at the Hawaii NAEYC site, as if 1/03 only 3 of the centers from this group were accredited. The center director mentioned that all of the schools in the group were working toward accreditation. There is one center from this group about 5-6 miles away from my home that was listed and I have inquired w/them also. They are also in a newer facility. *sigh of relief* Thanks again for your understanding. I'll post later after my "tours" . And you're right, he's my baby and he deserves nothing but the best.

Kempy, what kind of fish are you getting?

Angie, where are ya?

I'll be back later.
Old 06-27-2003, 03:16 PM   #213  

Whatever they have. Sometimes they have a good selection. I wouldn't mind having another trigger fish. I can now that my shrimp is gone. I just want something colorful. I am tired of not being able to see the one in there now.
Old 06-27-2003, 04:32 PM   #214  
Domestic Engineer

Good Friday everyone!
We just got our first fish for Brendan's birthday last week- a beta and he loves it. They are really fun to watch. MY DH has allergies so I guess if we are going to be pet people we'll do fish. Who knows we both love animals though so can see us with cats and dogs in the future and just suffering through

I've been gardening last night and this morning. Weeded through our perennial garden and what used to be a raspberry patch (only have like 3 bushed now- what happened?!) Anyway, what a job! Jim said he did it in April (when I was due and I really haven't been out there since and obviously niether had he...) So I got some new perennials (all good deals this time of year) and planted them and hope we can stay on top of the weeds...

I can't remember how many children are attending the kindergarten with my son in the fall, but I'm pretty sure it's a cap of 25 with two adults and one more for special needs children. I can't believe we are starting "real school" in the fall! What a milestone.

Well, other than gardening (and I am sore so know it counts!) haven't done any exercising. Got a book on tape from the library last Sat. for my walks that haven't happened. GUess I just need to do it *once* then I will feel good about doing it! Last year I did 21-day challenges with myself for excerise. Might have to do that again.

Tomorrow we are hoping to have a fun family day. There is a rhubarb festival in the morning and we are entering the contest for biggest leaf and biggest stalk. We have some monster plants this year!! Then some dragon- boat races in the afternoon. Then a birthday party for my best-friends 1 year old at 4. SHould be fun as they have a pool! Any good ideas for a gift for him?? I can only think books and balls for babies that age so any other ideas would be great.

Angie- hope your party is a blast!!
Kempy- have a great time in Florida! When do you go and how far a drive is it??
Sandy, Noelle,Summer and all- have a great weekend!
c'ya
Emily
Old 06-27-2003, 04:40 PM   #215  
so close, yet so far...

S/C/G: wanna be 135

Height: 5'3"

Is your tank saltwater? Was the shrimp eating your other fish? I only have a fresh water tank with 3 cichlids, one of them is a very vivid blue w/black stripes. The other two are male and female, lemony yellow w/a black stripe on the dorsal fin. The blue is the largest and he's so pretty, but I think I need to separate him soon because he's picking fights again--ever see a fish fight? They lock lips and pull--it's kinda funny..ok, don't sic the humane society on me...

I feel so much relief right now. After visiting the one daycare center this morning (and not being too impressed), I got a return call from the other NAEYC accredited center. I decided to go and visit w/out my son and immediately felt more comfortable there. The place was so much closer to "my ideal" than the other facilities were. The office admin asst. was very warm and inviting, and she showed me around the classrooms. The facility was built 5 years ago and is air conditioned. When I told her i wanted to bring my son back in the afternoon to interact w/the class, she introduced me to the afternoon teacher and it was one of my girlfriends from elementary through high school! We were actually quite friendly and had a lot of the same classes, I am very comfortable w/her being there. That was the clincher. Tuition is $85 p/mo. more than I'm paying now, but I think it's well worth the money. So I'm pretty happy right now . Sorry I'm talking so much about this...it's just been bothering me a bit. Thanks again Summer for your input.

Angie what are you up to girlfriend?

Just giving a shout out to Sandy, Emily, Holly and Jen
Old 06-27-2003, 08:28 PM   #216  

Hi everyone!! My son has officially graduated from kindergarten It is so scary though, he is my oldest, and I can remember when it was just him and me when he was a baby (his father was a loser), and now he is going into 1st grade. He is getting so big. I am almost 5'6 and he is up to my stomach already.

My diet has been so so, but, I have been exercising 45 minutes a day since Monday. My husband made me feel soooo good about myself tonight. We were looking at pictures, and found this picture of me in a bikini top and pair of shorts. He says, was this from last summer? I said, no, that was Spring of 1999, 2 babies ago! He said, wow, that was before you had our youngest 2? I said, yep. He says, you look the same! I was pleased, but didn't mention that I weigh about 7-8 pounds more than in that picture. He said you would never know I had 2 more children. Huh, and he didn't even do anything wrong to warrant kissing up, lol.

How are all of you doing? Any big plans for the weekend? Does anyone else have achy joints? My shoulders, knees, and elbows ache really badly and make exercising difficult, but, I try my best.

Holly
Old 06-27-2003, 08:52 PM   #217  
Mommy, wife, teacher

Noelle, I'm so happy that you found a preschool that you are comfortable with. I'm glad that I was able to help you. The first five years of a child's life are so important. Those years set the stage for the rest of their education. I'm glad you realize just how important these years are. I had to pay $800 per month for preschool. It was worth every penny. In the city where I teach, preschool is free. The city residents take it for granted. Anyway, it was cool that you hooked up with an old friend too! Best of luck!
Old 06-27-2003, 08:59 PM   #218  
Mommy, wife, teacher

Emily, today was my daughter's last day of preschool. It was a tearful goodbye for everyone. Kindergarten is a big step! We also have a birthday party tomorrow. They opened their pool, so it should be a lot of fun. I have been terrible on my diet...what diet?! Oh well, tomorrow will be the grand finale of my cheating. Sunday, I'm going back on.

Kempy, have a safe and fun-filled vacation!!!

Holly, congratulations on the milestone. Kindergarten graduation is a big deal.

Last weekend I had a great time at my friend's wedding. I danced and danced and danced in high heels. Now I'm paying for it. My right knee is swollen. I keep on icing it and using ibuprofen, but the swelling keeps on coming back. I don't want to see the orthopaedist because I know he'll want to do surgery. I have a long history of knee problems dating back 23 years. Please pray that the problem goes away on its own. I'm going on vacation in two weeks. The timing right now is terrible. Summer
Old 06-27-2003, 09:12 PM   #219  
READY~ SET~ GO!!!

Hi everyone. I have been so busy today. I missed so many posts. Lets see. I will take a pic of a whoopie pie on Sunday because that is the nest time I bake and show you. they are so good and mine are huge.

I have eaten everything under the sun this week and am so glad that the party is tomorrow and I can soon get back on my schedule. Exercise was going great until the heat and humidity hit. I did 3 miles the last 2 days because it was high 90's here and this morning it was so muggy that I only did 1 1/2 miles because i could barely breathe going up the hill. The bakery was 103 inside yesterday and today was 99. The pool water hit 86 degrees today. Not very refreshing until tonight that is. I just got out and it is so warm it is like a hot tub.

I am so busy but I promise that I will catch up with everyone Sunday and post individually. I hope everyone has an awesome weekend and I miss you all!!!!
Old 06-27-2003, 09:13 PM   #220  
READY~ SET~ GO!!!

PS: The jello shots are all made and I cant wait to get loaded!!!
I made Jay a maitai tonight, YUM!!
Old 06-28-2003, 10:06 AM   #221  
Mommy, wife, teacher

Angie, you are gonna have a blast today!!! Jello shots!!! Yum!!! I haven't had one of those since I was a single party girl in my 20's. Those were some fun days! I used to drink Mai Tais all the time too. My most favorite drink was an Alabama Slammer. Nowadays if I want to party, I drink Margaritas. I have found that Jose Cuervo Gold tequila doesn't give me much of a hangover. At the big birthday party today, they are supposed to be making lots of frozen drinks. It looks like we will both be sh_ _faced today!
Old 06-29-2003, 09:33 AM   #222  
READY~ SET~ GO!!!

The party is over and I am not going to do the birthday dinner as planned. I was going to get on my diet today but the house is so full of ice cream and cake and snack food that I knew I wouldnt survive the day with it. So I made the kids have cake for breakfast (I did too...ooops) Needless to say I cant throw away daddys Bunny Tracks ice cream and I LOVE it so it will be gone today and tomorrow morning is a fresh new day and I will DO IT!!!! I can honestly say that I am so uncomfortably bloated from this weeks binging. I feel like **** and I am sure I look like it too. Next year I am not going to stress out so much over the food because I figured out yesterday that during the party I didnt eat any of it but now I am trying to get rid of what was left over.

Jello shots were great!!! I made about 45 of them and my mom,sis and friend showed up at 12:30 and by 2(when the party actually started) we had just polished them off. OOps, noone else got any. I didnt get too big of a buzz though. I was kinda hoping for more.

The party was so much fun. I had family that I havent seen for 2 years show up and a few kids I would rather not have seen came too. haha

My dad got so many over the hill gifts. He enjoyed it and we all picked on him. Poor guy used to be an alcoholic and he was surrounded by drunk women picking on him. Claudia(my moms best friend ) got him a shirt that had a bird a dog and a bird picture on it and under it it said Swallow ***** Swallow. Too cute.

Summer, how did your party turn out? I hope you had fun!Margaritas are my favorite drink too. along with daquiris

Kempy, Are you doing your crawfish boil this weekend or actually on your birthday?

Noelle, Are you still doing good with your food? I am so proud of you. I love to hear how good you are doing.

Sandy,Emily,Holly, How have you guys been?

Tomorrow I plan on getting back to posting alot so be ready for me. haha. I hat trying to get back on track it is so hard to get started. You would think I just wouldnt go off plan to begin with wouldnt ya? This time around has scared me alot because this is the longest I have screwed up since I started in October and it is exactly like I did when I hit 130 pounds last time so I am going to need a good *** kicking tomorrow to keep me in line. Okay? Love ya all!!!!

Last edited by angieME; 06-29-2003 at 09:40 AM.
Old 06-30-2003, 07:12 AM   #223  

Morning girls,

I am almost ready to walk out the door for work today, have to leave earlier now because I have to drop Alexis off at the sitters.
Hope everyone had a wonderul weekend. Angie, you will get back on track, maybe your body just needed a break. "JELLO SHOT" YUMMY....

Noelle: Sounds like your found the right center for you and son. That a wonderful feeling that you are comfortable about leaving your son there. I mean we can't just run out and replace our kids. I hate parents who think kids are replaceable and that any old place is good enough.

Summer: hope your hangover wasn't too bad??? Should I be whispering? NOT!!! LOL, my hubby was majorly sh__t faced Saturday to the point of sickness, my bil launched his new boat so it was a party party party, and hubby celebrated a little to much....and I felt no pity....Im so heartless

Holly: don't you just love seeing people and they compliment how you look after the years....my daughter got done with kindergarten this year too, but she is my youngest.

Emily: Hope the party for the baby went well. I'm sure you will think all that pain you are feeling from working in the garden will pay off in the end when you see what happens. My mil has beautiful flower gardens all around her house. She has a major green thumb. And she has a veggie garden too, which I like to borrow from....lol

Kempy: Have you left for the beach yet? Florida in July???OH my god, hot hot hot. I lived there for 3 years.....when I was 9,10 and 11, moved when I turned 12, but I remember its hot!!! Enjoy your trip though.

Chris: Hi there if your reading. You are still in my prayers.

Okay gotta run girls,

Sandy
Old 06-30-2003, 09:13 AM   #224  
READY~ SET~ GO!!!

Good Morning! Today is starting off right. I now have no excuses to continue to overeat and I am determined to stay on track and see how much more weight I can get off from me. I got in my 3 mile morning walk already and Rebel was so happy to hear the words"Wanna go for a walk?" Seedless watermelon is on sale this week so I am going to gorge myself on that if I get hungry. I cant wait until the strawberries are ready to pick. I bought 2 lobsters so I can make lobster and spaghetti for today and tomorrows suppers. YUM!!

Sandy, How does your hubby feel? Jay usually gets sick when he drinks too. Which is why he doesnt drink. I told my sister that for the next birthday party I am just making a cookie sheet full for each of us so we dont run out before the party actually starts. HA HA

Hope you all have a great day!!
Old 06-30-2003, 03:55 PM   #225  
READY~ SET~ GO!!!

Where is everyone???
Closed Thread