3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   Daily Accountability/Lifestyle Change - August 2012 - Everyone Welcome! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/263868-daily-accountability-lifestyle-change-august-2012-everyone-welcome.html)

ItsMyTurn 08-08-2012 08:03 AM

Derry - Great job and we are glad you found us too :) Nice job on the treadmill workout!! I think often times we don't feel like we are surrounded enough by supporters in our r/l and that's where somewhere like this comes in handy. Geographically we are all over the map, but as far as mindset and goals, we have been brought together. I will also say, this is a great group and not sure what I would do without them. Even when on a low, they help to push you up... when I have felt like I needed a kick in the pants, these girls are great at that too... but the whole time - supportive and awesome!!!

mamakat 08-08-2012 08:17 AM

Good Morning Everyone,

Diana LOL, okay today's post gave me a better handle on Insanity. Made me laugh, I talk to the video people too (well when I did them). I think Shawn would be impressed with you or would he say "hey, no complaining!" :lol: I didn't get the yoga in, the rats need their bedding changed before I can work out down there. They stink and no way am I deep breathing that stuff in. Did I ever mention, I'm allergic to rats? 13 hairy beast are way too much.

ItsMyTurn I can imagine you are sweaty during/afterward. I used to do TaeBo will that Billy guy and I thought he moved fast. He was one I'd talk to. Wait, I didn't catch that. I'd never be able to do Insanity even if I were coordinated which I'm not. You amaze me as always. I'm glad the judge could see you weren't just some reckless maniac trying to get there faster, but more of a busy person trying to fit it all in.

Stacey welcome back. Glad to see you.

Misti Do you have a routine with the bands and ball? A video? I actually have those things and I'm always laying in my bed. I can't imagine doing a whole hour...awesome job. I bought the stuff, but just got bored, but now I'm rethinking.

derry I know all about trying to find the right exercise to help not hinder pain. I wish I had access to a pool, my doctors have all said that would be my best exercise. In fact, two years ago, I was told not to exercise (especially yoga or stretches of any kind). I have weird (too loose) ligaments and MD so using my muscles can be painful and stretching knocks my joints out. I ignored the doctors' strict advice starting out on a recumbent bike (protecting my largest problem areas) and dropped 80# with that alone. Then last year, while still on a cane, I started hiking and walking on the beach boardwalk (walking was a big no-no believe it or not). I was so pleased by the end of the summer I was cane free, a little lighter and a lot stronger...I still have bad days, and had to use the cane once early on this year (I was so depressed about it), but now I do yoga and stretch too...doctors still don't know :p So it can be done with time and patients. Oh and I even ran up and down a flight of stairs without hand rails...I can't tell you how proud I was at that moment.

Serenity a goal for the day, to smile at people? That would be a tough one for me. Actually smiling isn't that hard for me, it's the actual talking that's hard. That's actually a good goal. Are your workouts on video? I'm new to yoga, but I like it enough to look for something harder than Wii, but doable for me. Power yoga sounds hard to me though.

Seeing that it's Diana's hair appt day, means that mine is here as well. So funny we got on the same schedule. I need to color DD's hair back to normal too, but rats come first! Other than that I have no plans.

I hope everyone has a wonderful and healthy day.

stacygee 08-08-2012 09:14 AM

I restarted my program on Monday at 207. This morning the scale was at 202. But, I like those type of losses to show up two days in a row before I change any tickers or count it as a real loss. Since I am trying this little by little again here are my goals for today:

1. Spend some time here for inspriation. Just like Derry mentioned so few people in my likfe understand and this really isn't the conversation people want to have all the time. But, it helps me to immerse in weight loss conversation. I also remember last time that I would log on when I had the munchies. So I may log on a lot. You know how the munchies are when you first start.

2. Need to determine calorie counts to stick to this time around and a place to log my food journal. Last time I used livestrong.com so I'll try that again. I don't have a smartphone so apps don't work for me. I need something on the computer.

3. Gym. Of course this has been an important part of my journey. I have been teaching a spin class and will teach tonight; but I will also go to the gym this morning to practice my routine and I believe I will try an ab class. I won't go all out when I practice my routine this morning; but, I always go all out when I teach. I feel like I have more to prove in front of a class then the rest of the size 2 spin instructors.

ItsMyTurn: Your schedule is so jam-packed. But having habits and rituals always helps me stay on track. I really admire you for fitting it all in and not making excuses. Part of my problem the past 8 months was that I started to work and after being a stay at home mom for 6 years it made sticking to my program hard. But, I won't use that excuse any longer. Not with a role model like you!

Have a great day everyone!

SerenityDiva 08-08-2012 10:45 AM

Linda isn't it weird how a fall or injury makes us so *aware* for lack of a better word of our limitations as we age. I remember as a teen being kicked in the shoulder by a stubborn horse. Did I baby that shoulder? No (and yes it gives me issues from time to time), but now I would be so sensitive to it (which honestly I am at times but not like a 17-year-old me would have been). Right now my left knee is the PITA I have to work with most of the time...ugh! But I figure the more I strengthen it and the more I lose weight, the stronger it becomes. And if not, well there is no if not. It may not be 100% but it will get stronger LOL. :cool: My HUSBAND could stand to lose 60-75 pounds. He has done it before, but really EVERYONE in his family except for his parents (long story) are obese and diets consist of Sprite, Skittles, and fried WHATEVER...and exercise? No. I'm the family freak because I do it. They do NOT set limits with ANYTHING and so it's hard for him to "give up" stuff or even cut it down. Like a serving of PIE is THE PIE. But my youngest is the only child I have with a weight issue and I *am* inspiring him (although spending 2 weeks with my dad and stepmom who are very healthy--the kind of people who some call food and exercise snobs--also helped). The boy went from wanting fried nuggets at every single restaurant and salad (he and my other kids DO eat steamed veggies and salad without complaint) to wanting soups, grilled things, and I'm so proud of him! He's 11 and I really don't want to make him worried about his weight, but he is aware he's heavier and he is aware that he can make healthier choices...it's been a hard thing for him because kids have teased him (including his siblings :mad:) and so I'm again very proud.

Diana I'm still toying with getting one or both sets. I might decide to start with the 5 since it's cheaper (Mary whom I love!) as *generally* I don't like band work, but sometimes what you don't love is what you do need and 20 minutes...that's nothing! :love: I do the veggie thing too! I remember reading some Joyce Vedral book years ago and she said she eats a whole bag of peas or some frozen veggies to satisfy her cravings. Like yesterday I wanted something like CHIPS. But I knew I wanted SALT. So I ate 4 small pickles (like the little Mt. Olive Kosher Dills) which were more than enough and 20 calories approximately....satisfied craving and saved probably 110+ calories. I hope the Japanese place is good and I've got a hair appointment Saturday lol. No good restaurants I'm tempted by though...

MISTI! I'm so glad you're in less pain. I don't know what the cause of or the history is (new here) but I can tell you I do remember being in so much pain people could see it on my face. For her to not see it! Well I'm happy for you!!! :high: and that was my PRIMARY reason for losing weight. Yeah obviously I want to look nice and yada yada, but when you're in chronic pain...you don't care if you weigh 300 pounds or 80 pounds, just anything to get the pain to stop.

:) Stacy it's nice to meet you! I know you can do this, it's just the doing that's hard. I really REALLY wholeheartedly believe being accountable helps. I also have to immerse myself and no one wants to hear it all the time. I've been reading a lot of free ebooks and not so free to keep myself going as well.

:cheer2" ItsMyTurn yay about court, salmon (LOVE salmon) and your workout. You're doing so awesome!!!

MamaKat they are on video. But he has some free streaming, if you can't find them (American Power Yoga) P.M. me and I'll send you the link. It was free when I joined and I know every Friday he posts on Facebook. But I also use audios. Zyrka Landwijt and Barbara Benagh are the two I started with on video when I couldn't move. I have some freaky flexibility, some areas where I'm too loose and some obviously too tight. People think being loose is a good thing, but like you know you can injure yourself if you go to far without strengthening the musculature around the loose tendons..so in my opinion body awareness is REALLY required too. Also some yoga studios offer free classes or whatever through groupons and stuff...I like it a lot. It's taught me yeah to be more strong and flexible, but also I can read my body much easier and it's weird to see the differences from side to side. :spin: I love it!

Well stats for Tuesday the 7th:
Calories 1490
Yoga 55
Cycling 25 minutes

SerenityDiva 08-08-2012 02:56 PM

Oh geez Diana....so...I was at Amazon. They had both Stephanie Huckabee's PowerFit DVDs (I don't know if the bands come with them as they are used but I have more bands than I can shake a stick at). They hopped in my cart. They then proceeded to check out...I think soon I'll be notified they are on their way.

BUT only $12.26 TOTAL including S&H so I figure that's the cost of 2 fast food meals or one decent salad at a midrange place right?

shellsbrood 08-08-2012 03:37 PM

Diana--I've finally joined you in the 100+ club. I just thought you might like to know. ;)

swissy 08-08-2012 06:03 PM

I got my period today and made a choice not to self soothe with food,
(usually head for the simple carbs or at worst the icecream/cake) but for now some herbal tea maybe.

last two weekends were not good but I refuse to stop my self care this weekend but I've still maintained my 5lbs-7lbs loss from July, I just can't believe I'm in the 170s nevermind 174, I really believed when I saw 179 I was just going to go back up and stay at 180 something because thats where I was been bouncing between 185-195 then into the 200s for the past 5 years plus.

I've been obese since I was a child I am so excited to get to 169 SOON!!!!!!!!!!!!

derrydaughter 08-08-2012 06:30 PM

Mamakat, sounds like you know your body better than the doctors do, in many ways. Do what feels right. I wish I had a pool and lived right around the corner to invite you over to swim. I wonder if there is a YWCA or YMCA around? The one nearest to me, I hear, has a swim only plan. They are pretty expensive to join a full membership, but I hear you can pay for only that. I would like to check it out sometime. I used to live in NY state and we had a beautiful Y nearby and I did a water toning workout and it was great. There was a woman with MS who came. She had to use a wheelchair lift to get in and out of the pool, but as soon as she was in the water, she was able to keep up.
I went back to the gym today. I belong to Planet Fitness. When I looked at my little chart I used to check off various weight type of exercises, the last time I was there was June 27th, was it truly that long? Yikes. I really do need to be back on track.
Stacy, glad you have come back and I'll be glad to chat when you feel the need. : ) I need this kind of thing to stay on track. My house is full of people who eat whatever they want whenever they want. It's hard to stay on track. We also eat out often and those are really big challenges for me.
Serenity, boy do I know and could related to your remarks on injury. Two years ago, I fell getting out of our boat onto the side of the dock. I missed the dock with my foot (was rushing and just miscalculated) and I went down hard on the metal edging of the dock, landing on my rib cage. I bruised my ribs. They say bruised ribs take forever to heal and are harder than broken ones and more painful and they are right. Even after two years, I still have my moments. I lost my continuity with exercise and even diet. I just strayed and lost my way. I was really doing well before that.
Now, I am getting back to being me, finally, but it's truly been two years. I am very careful on stairs and getting in and out of the boats now. I got new glasses right after this. I was wearing older prescription sunglasses that day and the astigmatism I have affects depth perception. I just didn't see where I was stepping. Never again. I take my time.

I had an OK day, but I am still hungry. But I have about 400 or so more calories to eat and it's nearly 6:30 pm. Perhaps some fruit and yogurt instead of something that would be "junk". I allowed myself two cookies after lunch and that should be it for surgary foods, I think.

Thanks for "listening". I need to be here. :dust:

ItsMyTurn 08-08-2012 06:35 PM

Diva - I am so glad you are making these changes for you :) I have a DH who also needs to be being healthier, losing weight, lowering cholesterol and blood pressure. However he also gets snappy if I bring it up, so now it's become a grocery thing. I can't control his exercise, but I can sure make sure he eats right while I am the one that pays the bills, :lol:

shells!!!!! Wow!!! :carrot: That's awesome news! I know you meant it for Diana, but it's rare we hear from you over here anymore and I want you to know I am thrilled for you!!! :dance:

swissy - always good when the surprise is on the good end and not the bad :)

Mamakat - I actually forgot about your allergy to the rats :lol: What we do for kiddos!!! I was doing Billy Blanks with weighted gloves before Insanity... well, his Tae Bo, his Bootcamps, plus running and such... I swore at him too, but poor Shaun T is hearing the mouth of a drunken sailor out of me, :lol:

Stacy - Your comment gave me some warm fuzzies, thank you so much. Will keep fingers crossed that your loss not only stays, but brings some friends with it :)

Diana3271 08-08-2012 09:59 PM

Hi Everyone! :wave:

Mamakat Did you get your hair cut today? Do you have a variety of workouts on the Wii?

Stacy Hi :wave: How was your day?

Serenity Isn't it funny how those workouts just jump in your cart and check out on their own? LOVE IT! I think you got a great deal on the PowerFit's. I have always wished that more workouts were sold at the brick and mortar stores. Now I am kinda glad they are not sold there. I don't have much resistance when I find a workout that I want at the store. I can put off buying online for a while. I think my new workouts from Mary will arrive tomorrow. I can't wait. You will have to tell me your thoughts on PFH.

Shells Hi :wave: It's good to see you. Awesome! Congratulations on a job well done! Are you at your goal now or are you still trying to lose?

Swissy Hi and welcome to the check-in! :wave: Keep up the great work!

Linda I like to keep bags of frozen veggies on hand, California blend, broccoli, cauliflower, or any other mix. When you get hungry, all you have to do is take them out, put them in a small amount of water to steam, drain, and season to you liking. That's normally 150 calories or less and it fills me up.

Itsmyturn Another question for you about Insanity. In yesterday's workout, Shaun described the move as three small steps to the side and then touch the ground, then you do it again to the other side. Most of the people didn't do it like that. They did more like a tap out/lunge to the side and touch the ground. They didn't do the 3 steps. Which way do you do it? I have tried it both ways. In order to keep up with everyone else, it's best to do the tap out/lunch to the side without the 3 steps. I noticed that when I do the 3 steps that it gets my heart rate up faster/higher. Are you familiar with the move that I am talking about?

Diana3271 08-08-2012 10:01 PM

Total Approx 1570 Calories + :coffee:

Breakfast (395 Calories + coffee)
spritz oil in pan
egg 70 cal
egg whites from carton 60 calories
Vegetable of choice
1/8 cup feta cheese 40 calories
Rudi's Whole Wheat English muffin 130 calories
1 teaspoon jam 20 calories
juice 75 calories
coffee w/sugar and cream

Lunch (375 Calories)
Rudi's 100% Whole Wheat Sandwich Flatz 100 calories
3 Slices Hormel Natural Choice Deli Turkey 60 calories
Honey mustard/Lettuce 25 calories
Oikos Strawberry Greek Yogurt 4 ounce container 90 calories
1 Apple 100 calories

Dinner (800 Calories)
Teriyaki Beef 400 calories
Fried rice 400 calories

Exercise:
TF Fire 45 EZ
Insanity Cardio Recovery

stacygee 08-08-2012 10:21 PM

Hi friends! My day was perfect except for sore quads. I did some research on livestrong.com. They said for a 2 pound loss per week I should be at a calorie count of 1558. I came in just under 1530 so I am very pleased with my self. I checked in here three times and it really did help for me to gain my focus again. Didn't realize how important it was. But, I will make the time. Tomorrow will be hard. I have to be at work at 5AM. I am on the truck crew at work. We will be unloading an 18 wheeler. It is very physical work and very intense. This schedule has really been messing my diet but I am going in with a plan. Protien shake before work, fruit salad at 8:30 break. Protein bar on hand when I get off as I am always ravenous and have been stopping for fast food. Sometimes I get off at 11, sometimes noon, once 3:05. We leave when the work is done.

Diana: I though of you today when I logged my morning eggs. Didn't realize how many more calories regular eggs have over egg white. and so much more cholesterol. I haven't really been concerned with cholesterol but the eggs have really been helping me start my day out well. Do you buy egg whites or do you seperate your own? I think I need to switch to egg white. Great place to save on calories.

ItsMyTurn: Hope you had a fantastic day!

Derry: July slipped away very quickly for you! Great job getting back to the gym today. I pretty much find it impossible to eat out and stay in my calories and be proud. Especially when I am first restarting. I am turning down social engagements for the next two weeks while I try to establish my good habits again.

Swissy: I've decided that maintaining a weight loss is harder then losing weight. The pounds creep up so quickly. Congratulate yourself on maintaining. I get a foul tast in my mouth when I think that I was 9 pounds away from losing 100 just 8 months ago. Foul Indeed!

Shellsbrood: I was so happy to see that post from you! We followed each others weight loss for quite a while. You have done great and I am at work again but I too will be there with you!

Serenity: Have a great day!

ItsMyTurn 08-08-2012 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diana3271 (Post 4432012)
Itsmyturn Another question for you about Insanity. In yesterday's workout, Shaun described the move as three small steps to the side and then touch the ground, then you do it again to the other side. Most of the people didn't do it like that. They did more like a tap out/lunge to the side and touch the ground. They didn't do the 3 steps. Which way do you do it? I have tried it both ways. In order to keep up with everyone else, it's best to do the tap out/lunch to the side without the 3 steps. I noticed that when I do the 3 steps that it gets my heart rate up faster/higher. Are you familiar with the move that I am talking about?

I automatically do the 3 steps... it's more of a shuffle in a way though. That's the suicides that you are referring to. I actually had to just get up and do them to see which way I did it :lol: I used to have to do them in basketball practices all the time, so honestly it's kind of automatic. The feet move so fast I wasn't sure if I was just taking one step to the side, but nope, it's three. When going to the right, out with right foot, left foot replacing spot of right and right moving out... touch/lunge... then same thing to the other side. It does get the heart rate shooting, which is why it is so effective in plyometrics :) When it's the 3rd round and I am kicking them out at high speed is when my HRM alarm starts sounding off, :lol:

ItsMyTurn 08-08-2012 11:23 PM

Stacy - Maybe not just a protein bar, but maybe some grapes too? They keep well in a plastic container in just about any weather for hours and hours, plus since they are mostly water and sweet, they do help when you are feeling so hungry to fill the hole. I have been having them almost daily now due to the added workout intensity and surprised how well it helps. I was recommended that and watermelon diced up, but the watermelon doesn't keep as well in my car during 118 degree heat during the day :)

Misti in Seattle 08-08-2012 11:23 PM

Hello everyone

Applauding all of your great reports. I was tempted not to post tonight as I'm tired and trying to get laundry done for my trip this weekend.. taking a four day weekend, yay. But I knew it would be a mistake to "slide" so here I am! :) First will back up and respond to a few questions.

derrydaughter, Tonic Alchemy is an all natural nutritional supplement which contains 71 "superfoods" which provide a wide variety of nutrients. I get it from a health food store. I have been surprised (and disappointed) that I have not found others on here who are taking it, a I would love to have others to share with. I really love what it is doing for me.

As for my back... well... what is wrong with it is that I have absolutely massive boobs, which are actually causing muscularskeletal damage. I saw a surgeon about breast reduction surgery and he was very encouraging, but I need to lose at least 32 more pounds to reduce the risks. Also insurance requires that I see a chiropractor and/or massage therapist 3-6 months, which is why I went... but I really love her and it is amazing how much she is helping!

mamakat, I just make up my own routine with the weight bands and Danskin balls. There are videos on YouTube but I have not seen any where you can lie on your back in bed and do them but it sure works for me! I go to YouTube and find a music video that lasts a long time... personally I love the Hillsong concerts. I use the 3 pound balls, although sometimes if just one I use the 5 pounder. I will pass a ball back and forth from one hand to the other while moving my arms back and forth to catch them... toss one up into the air and catch it.... place one in each hand and raise and lover my arms, etc... just whatever movements I think of. Also, I like to lie flat so that my shoulders are at the edge of the bed... with enough room to stretch out my arms... and take one ball in both hands... then lower the ball with a "double bounce" at the bottom, then back up... in sets of 20.

Also, I will take a weight band and hook my foot or feet into it and hold the ends in my hands. Do all kinds of movements... spread out arms as I pull a foot up even with my face... crossways, lift and bend the knees, etc. They actually are fun to do, and you can get really strenuous or just sort of relax and do nice, gentle exercises. I have to be careful with one leg because of degenerative arthritis so I just use a really light band on that one and be careful.

The bands ARE boring if you do them standing, etc., the way most videos tell you to... but not the way I do them.

And Serenity... so true. LOL when the surgeon was so encouraging that he could/would do the surgery if I get some weight off you can bet that was incentive! :) I have so much neck, back, shoulder, etc. pain from hauling these boobs around that it is crazy to have to put up with this. They are absolutely gigantic! LOL

I had another NSV today. Had to get a Passport photo taken and yay I TOO can see a big difference in my face from a photo taken in June!! yay!!

Going to post my food log in a separate message.