Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-04-2012, 12:39 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 190/139/138

Height: 5'5"

I lip sync the words to the songs I'm listening to while I work out on the elliptical! I know people must think I look nuts, but I don't care.

If I'm working out and get a wedgie, I just pull it out. Otherwise I'm too uncomfortable to keep going.

I have no shame at the gym!

Oh, another one. I have my routine. First, I do the elliptical with no arms for 30 minutes. Then, I do the one with arms for 20 minutes. It HAS to be a certain one, because I use my ipad on it, and the other one has a holder that's broke. If someone is using the no arms elliptical and I have to start with the one with arms, I get all messed up and cranky. It really throws me off!
Murph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 03:17 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 175/150/139. Ultimate Goal:132

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeel4121 View Post

- I always use this one treadmill and always do my weights in the same area of the gym. And, as irrational as this sounds, I always HATE it when people are either using my treadmill. It puts me in a ****, and my routine just goes haywire (OCD, much? )
HHAAHAHHA yessssssssssss!! Once I was so mad I turned around and left. (Totally a legitimate excuse, right?) LOL
GotothegymOKAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 04:17 PM   #18  
Started IP 8/20/14

S/C/G: HW292/SW284/CW284/GW200

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
I HATE HATE it when people go on the machine next to me when there are plenty of empty ones everywhere else.
Yeah, THAT!!! I feel the same way.

My OCD-self DEFINITELY prefers to use the same elliptical machine every day.

Also -- I tend to keep my pace to the music I listen to. And I listen to my music LOUDLY.

I try to beat my past stat records (how many calories burned, or distance) every day in the gym. I use my iphone to take a picture of my stats on the machine after each work out so I can compare them all. lol

Sometimes I like to close my eyes for a few seconds at a time while I'm working out. I would do it more, but I'm always paranoid that other people might notice. I have no idea why, but it feels cool to rest my eyes while working out.

Great thread!
PghGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 04:54 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 168/159.5/140

I always secretly try to sneak a peek sideways at the person using the machine next to me to see if they are working out at the same intensity settings as I am. If they are set at a higher intensiy, it pushes me to go a little bit harder myself.
gardend1va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:10 PM   #20  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardendiva View Post
I always secretly try to sneak a peek sideways at the person using the machine next to me to see if they are working out at the same intensity settings as I am. If they are set at a higher intensiy, it pushes me to go a little bit harder myself.
Speaking of that, the last time I took a spinning class I was next to an older man - like 65ish. He was sweating like mad and realllllly pushing himself hard. He wasn't trim, but looked fit with a few extra pounds on him.

Anyway, I could see what his settings were and I was flabbergasted! The instructor would say, "You are on a flat road, set it 1-4". "You are on a steep hill, set it to 12 or so". This man's 'flat road' was a 12. I could barely get the pedals to move on a 12 and this is after months and months of strength training and step aerobics (I do spinning infrequently). His total whatever count for the day was like quadruple mine and I felt I pushed myself pretty hard that day. I was in pure awe. I wonder if he saw mine and wondered, "Whimp"!
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:51 AM   #21  
STREET DOG

S/C/G: 231/230/145

• I hate my gym's time limit on treadmill use (20 freaking minutes!), so I often fudge my time by restarting the machine after warmup or while I'm doing a walking interval. I'll stay on the machine for 40 minutes without ever having it shut down on me. I'm pretty sure I'm the reason they put up signs reminding people to only stay on for 20 minutes.
  • I don't like working out next to people, especially when they look at me. I tend to mouth the lyrics to my music as I'm working out and I'm a loud breather.
  • I always try to get the machine "second from the right" in a line of bikes or treadmills.
  • Even though I'm much younger and should be much more fit than them, I still love out-running old people. Reminds me that I am still young.
  • I don't shampoo my hair when I bathe after working out.
  • I hate looking at myself in the mirror, but I often stare at myself in the window that's in front of the treadmill; I tell myself to "man up", "keep going" and "you can do it".
  • I think my stomach looks good when I'm doing crunches on an exercise ball.
  • I hate that the only other young people at my gym are people I know. I really miss the random eye candy from my American gym.
Kahokkuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:58 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 263/255/150

Here is my top 10.

1. I also can't stand when someone gets on the machine next to me when all the others are empty. it's always someone who is like 110 lbs. I feel like they only do it so they can show me up! i'm a big girl and I find it to be rude.

2. When people are talking so LOUD near you. the gym is already loud enough. we don't need these ppl to try and talk louder just so they can hear their voices.

3. ppl talk so loud I can't even hear my Ipod. even almost at full blast I can still her them.

4. all the machines in front of the tvs I want to watch are always taken Grrr!!

5. The men at the front desk are VERY rude. they don't greet me, wont even make eye contact when I give them my card. But then I see them flirt with the skinny girls wearing almost nothing. Disrespectful!

6. When ppl will just sit there and stare at me. WTF are you looking at?? it makes me feel ugly and I shouldn't be there bc I'm not as thin as them.

7. When ppl next to me stare at my machine. NO keep your eyes on your own stuff. I hate it bc I don't go very fast. (think I need a towel to just cover it)

8. ppl not watching where they are going

9.someone not cleaning their machine.. EEEWW

10. when someone is on the weight machine you want to use and is just sitting there on their phone.

BUT I noticed it dies down around noon and I LOVE IT! there are 20 treadmills and only 4 were in use the other day. Daycare closes 1-4 which sucks so I go in at like 11ish to almost 1. love the daycare. super nice ppl there.

I don't like going early or evning bc they are super busy! lol thats my lil rant
kprincess45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:37 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

I see a bunch here that I agree with, ESPECIALLY the getting right next to you when there's 10 other open machines! Ugh. I think the same thing, KPrincess... but it does make me want to push harder to prove them wrong.

I haven't seen people chitchatting on anyone's list. I don't care if you do it, but could you NOT stand in front of my machine chatting with someone on the next one while I sweat my arse off? I'm a little afraid of the judgey look you're going to give me when you get hit with my drops of sweat, even though you're standing in MY trajectory!

When people smell. Ohhh man. I get it, you're sweating, but if you've showered in the past 5 days, you don't smell bad enough to make me almost run to the bathroom and vomit. Seriously. That almost happened a few weeks ago. My stomach is not weak but it sure felt that way for the next four hours.

When people stand in front of the checkin desk posing for animal crackers (or more likely, trying to flirt). Or blocking the entrance/exit while reading something on the wall. This is my own fault though, because I'm always running so late that it feels like an extra 5 seconds tacks on an extra hour instead.

Those are my pet peeves!

Last edited by djs06; 03-05-2012 at 11:38 AM.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:36 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 343/293/199

Quote:
Originally Posted by djs06 View Post
When people smell. Ohhh man. I get it, you're sweating, but if you've showered in the past 5 days, you don't smell bad enough to make me almost run to the bathroom and vomit. Seriously. That almost happened a few weeks ago. My stomach is not weak but it sure felt that way for the next four hours.

Amen. I've had to move from my treadmill several times in the past because people stink. It isn't that I'm working out and sweating stink. It's I haven't washed my crack in days stink. Ugh! Makes me so mad!!!
xJox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:23 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 263/255/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baileysmomma View Post
Amen. I've had to move from my treadmill several times in the past because people stink. It isn't that I'm working out and sweating stink. It's I haven't washed my crack in days stink. Ugh! Makes me so mad!!!
EWWWWW!!! nasty!!
kprincess45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:16 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 252/ticker/183.5

Height: 6' 2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardendiva View Post
I do this too. It annoys me that I'm so competitive all the time... UGH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kprincess45 View Post
1. I also can't stand when someone gets on the machine next to me when all the others are empty.

2. When people are talking so LOUD near you.

10. when someone is on the weight machine you want to use and is just sitting there on their phone.
All these too. Number 10 REALLY gets on my nerves and I've been known to ask them to move, and it pisses me off that I have to do that. But I work out on a schedule and if you mess up my schedule it just delays me, and I don't have time for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djs06 View Post

Most things don't bother me. I smell pretty bad at the end of my run though I shower every day. But ladies (and some gentlemen) that come in with some sort of perfume-y stuff on really aggravate me. I always find it amusing when ladies come in wearing their war paint (makeup) too, though that's not a peeve or anything. It makes me smile inside.
andrew80k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:17 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 230/149/138

Love this thread!

I admit, too, that I enjoy going to the gym. Never thought I'd be one of those people, but it makes me feel like I'm part of a club or something. Here are my confessions:
  1. I love, that after a year, I am one of the people in the first two rows of my Zumba classes who knows the routines!
  2. I secretly like seeing the really in-shape women in the back who have no idea what they are doing - hah!
  3. I don't feel like I've worked out unless I've worked up a great sweat. Guess that's a byproduct of Zumba classes.
  4. I actually have a compulsion to hit people who come into classes late and stand so close to me, I guess thinking I'll move over to accommodate them. I really really hate this.
  5. I love that as I lose more weight, people smile at me more often, look me in the eye and say hello when I am at the gym. When I was very overweight, I felt invisible.
Lunula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:18 PM   #28  
It's Kassie Baby!

S/C/G: 250/206/150

Height: 5'4"

Another confession. It bugs the heck outta me when the women in the locker room gladly flaunt their nakedness. I understand that you need strip to put clothes on, but must you walk around like it's one big party?

And I get jealous when people around run less and burn more calories than me..

Last edited by kassiebby1124; 03-05-2012 at 03:20 PM.
kassiebby1124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:22 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 230/149/138

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickadee32 View Post
2) I mouth the words to the songs on my ipod as I'm working out. Noticeably, and without shame. Sometimes with my eyes closed if I'm on a piece of equipment where I don't need to balance so much (stationary bike, eliptical). I'm sure people at the gym think I'm crazy.
Hah! I do the same thing, sometimes I have to catch myself from singing outloud.
Lunula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:23 PM   #30  
SanityNow

Quote:
Originally Posted by kassiebby1124 View Post
Another question. It bugs the heck outta me when the women in the locker room gladly flaunt their nakedness. I understand that you need strip to put clothes on, but must you walk around like it's one big party?
Yeh, I had that stuff. There was a woman at an old gym who would not only walk around the locker sans clothes, but she would sit straddled on the bench talking to her friends. JUst stop it