Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-02-2011, 02:36 PM   #91  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

I think I'm going to do the charm thing too. Or something like that to show what I have done in a physical way. Or a rewards way. A good friend suggest maybe I get a wedding ring upgrade as a present to myself when I get to goal. My wedding ring is too big and so are almost all the others. My wedding ring is just a band, but I also have my grandmother's engagement ring (too big), a solitaire sapphire and a sapphire and diamond band (I wore that combo for years when my wedding band was too tight - then in October, just this past october I got my ring resized!!!!! If I wouldn't have done that, it would now fit!!!) And then I have a couple other rings given to me - my husband's great grandmother's engagement ring (fits now) and a ring made from a small diamond earring (fits now). I also have a weird gold band that is styled like a flexible chain thing?) Too big and not my style (a gift from husband's aunt) and my HS class ring.

The only jewelry my husband ever gave me is my wedding band. It cost $60 nearly 18 years ago. That same amount of gold today would cost a lot more.

But almost all those rings were family heirloom things given to me by family. I can't really change them.

The sapphires were my 'fat' rings. Maybe change those to be my 'skinny' rings? I don't think they are very high quality or anything. Would love to have an emerald ring! But spending $$$ on jewelry isn't my style either.

So, a charm bracelet sounds cool. I would probably do pretty, homemade glass beads or soemthing, but is it more meaningless since I've already lost 60 pounds? Maybe create it when I'm DONE with my weight loss? (whenever that will be - most likely 175 will not be my settling spot).
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 03:48 PM   #92  
Starting again

S/C/G: 289/ticker/128

Height: 5'4"

Vixsin, those pigs in blankets sound awesome! I'm a little leery of turkey dogs, though. I really only like Nathan's beef dogs. I could try cutting then into thirds and using half a crescent roll. That would be about 110 cals each. Probably high in sodium though. Ugh, now I want some! Maybe I'll make some for the birthday party? Hmmm. I found a cool sugar free carrot cake recipe for DD's 1st (cup)cake. There was even a sugar free cream cheese frosting recipe. Since I'm getting a regular full sugar chocolate cake for DS I'm going to make up a batch of carrot cupcakes for the adults that don't like chocolate and for my FIL since he's diabetic and needs sugar free desserts. Luckily I hate chocolate cake so I won't be tempted to eat the sugary cake and I'm going to be sending most of it home with our guests. Wow, I can't believe my kids are going to be 7 and 1 this week. Time sure flies. My little girl isn't so little anymore.
shishkeberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 04:37 PM   #93  
Life is about balance

S/C/G: 283/ticker/140

Berry,
I am just the opposite, I am shrinking down to fit into all my rings. My MIL and Mom gave me some nice pieces and throughout the years I've collected some nice pieces (my favorite is an emerald we bought from a jewelry store that was from an estate. We just bought the stone...it's huge, but I'm afraid to wear it) I bought our origional wedding bands from Target (with employee discount) and haven't worn that thing since I got pregnant with first child. DH bought me a beautiful black hills gold wedding band on I think 3rd anniversary and that's what I want to get back into. I wear DH wedding band on my thumb now. Neither one of us wear wedding rings anymore.

Our 18th Anniversary is in 8 days and I have no idea what to get him. I looked for new bands with cat's eyes (as that fits into 18th anniversary theme), but gold is so high priced right now and the stones aren't a pretty color so I am not going to do that. Only other thing as a suggestion is porcelain and I have no idea what I could get him in that. What weird gift suggestions
mamakat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 04:45 PM   #94  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamakat View Post
Only other thing as a suggestion is porcelain and I have no idea what I could get him in that. What weird gift suggestions
Does he need a new toilet?
zoodoo613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 04:48 PM   #95  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamakat View Post
Berry,
I am just the opposite, I am shrinking down to fit into all my rings. My MIL and Mom gave me some nice pieces and throughout the years I've collected some nice pieces (my favorite is an emerald we bought from a jewelry store that was from an estate. We just bought the stone...it's huge, but I'm afraid to wear it) I bought our origional wedding bands from Target (with employee discount) and haven't worn that thing since I got pregnant with first child. DH bought me a beautiful black hills gold wedding band on I think 3rd anniversary and that's what I want to get back into. I wear DH wedding band on my thumb now. Neither one of us wear wedding rings anymore.

Our 18th Anniversary is in 8 days and I have no idea what to get him. I looked for new bands with cat's eyes (as that fits into 18th anniversary theme), but gold is so high priced right now and the stones aren't a pretty color so I am not going to do that. Only other thing as a suggestion is porcelain and I have no idea what I could get him in that. What weird gift suggestions
I always complicate things. Like... would I get a bracelet for what I've accomplished now? or from my highest weight to now? I was up to 275 for a year, then lost 10 and kept it off (plus some more but gained those back), then I lost ten and kept it off for a year before I started this weight loss journey. I weighed 265 for YEARS. For me, it's more the WHOLE journey... a reminder that I used to weigh more than 80 pounds than I weigh now (that's a really scary thought actually).
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 04:55 PM   #96  
Life is about balance

S/C/G: 283/ticker/140

zoodoo,
believe it or not it crossed my mind...I mean what else is porcelain? Other than tile. We've never been traditional so I'm not really stuck on those two things...I just have no idea what to give him. Last year it was several boxed series of one of his favorite shows (he got me a tattoo or paid for it). He's a techy musician type and I have no smarts in either of those departments. Usually he tells me what I bought him. I thought I'd surprise him with an actual gift but it looking like that's not going to be the case Oh well.
mamakat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 04:57 PM   #97  
Trying to live below 200

S/C/G: This time: 292/201.4/under 200

Height: 5'6" 1/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoodoo613 View Post
Does he need a new toilet?
What's wrong with a new toilet? My Mom gave DH and me a new toilet for either our birthday or anniversary. Back in the day, the taller toilets were called handicap toilets. I think they call them executive toilets or something else. Anyways, DH and I have always been taller/larger, so we wanted one of those toilets. So, that's what we got for our special day.

At the time, we were remodeling our bathroom, so we wanted a taller toilet and a taller sink/vanity cabinet. We also had the cabinet custom made for us. Hopefully, if we ever decide to sell our house, the people looking won't be on the shorter side.

Last edited by Diana3271; 08-02-2011 at 04:58 PM.
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:17 PM   #98  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

just got home from a nice lazy afternoon at the big playground by the lake...took my son, 2 of the kids, and his cousin and now we're home...i'm getting almost sad that summer is coming to an end although i'm looking forward to less children through the house all day, and time to myself, and starting that board of directors thing, and actually having to get dressed every day LOL!
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:37 PM   #99  
I Need Accountablity!

S/C/G: 190/Ticker/160

Height: 5'6"

Larry - If you are short of breath, coughing, edema in legs, any exertion that makes breathing worse...then cut back that water and cut back that salt.

My dh found out he had mitral value problems (heart), so please do not mess with doctor's advice. My dh ended up having a Cardiac Echo, put on blood pressure pill to lower the pressure and a fluid pill...he will be going in for Cardiac surgery on Monday.

From a cardiac doctor's own mouth when we were seeing him for my dh..."No, water does not flush salt." "It hangs onto the salt."
WannaBeLoserAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:44 PM   #100  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBeLoserAgain View Post
Larry - If you are short of breath, coughing, edema in legs, any exertion that makes breathing worse...then cut back that water and cut back that salt.

My dh found out he had mitral value problems (heart), so please do not mess with doctor's advice. My dh ended up having a Cardiac Echo, put on blood pressure pill to lower the pressure and a fluid pill...he will be going in for Cardiac surgery on Monday.

From a cardiac doctor's own mouth when we were seeing him for my dh..."No, water does not flush salt." "It hangs onto the salt."
wow! sending good thoughts for your DH's surgery...and larry, i'm worried about all that water retention etc....
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:43 PM   #101  
Tactless but Honest :)

S/C/G: 188/178.6/140

Height: 5'4''

I am just back from doing a 2 mile walk/jog. Not sure my stomach is all that happy about it, but mentally I am geared up. So all together I got 20 minutes of the p90x cardio and 2 miles. It's a good day. Hopefully tomorrow morning will show results.
DZackery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:58 PM   #102  

S/C/G: 264/202/163

I keep trying to re-establish my ties here... but, am having a hard time finding the time this summer. However, I just scheduled my surgery!!! August 26!! I am sure I will then be spending a lot of time here!

Thank you for your support. Diana I feel very confident in my Dr. choice. I visited 2 different surgeon and the one I have chosen spent extensive time with me and was personally recommended by a friend who is a doctor. Vixson- I appreciate what you wrote too. I am not trying to change the "natural me" I am trying to repair the damage that I did when I let myslef gain all that weight. I do feel like it is something I need to do to finish what I've started.

The baby in whining to go to bed. I better get her there!
stacygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:28 PM   #103  
BlockHead =)

Update on me:

I am back on track today. If anything still struggling with eating enough. I felt so gross and not at all hungry this am that I didn't eat til lunch time. Ah well, I will get this all figured out eventually. I do think I'm going to have to start the dreaded E word. I think I may have hit a wall with losing weight with dietary changes alone. And if it's true that my metabolism has slowed due to eating so few calores, exercise should help rev it up again. I do think I'm going to start track sodium for awhile too though, to see just how much I am ingesting.

Personals:

Larry: I too am concerned. I hope all is back to normal for you soon.

WannaBeLoserAgain: good luck on your DH's surgery. You will be in my thoughts.

mamakat: congrats on the upcoming anniversary DH and I celebrated 17 years in May. Nice to be happily with the same someone for that long isn't it?

shishke: happy bday to your kids Would you mind sharing the sf carrot cake and frosting recipes?

re rings: I've had my wedding rings stretched to size them up a couple of times. I also have a family ring that I wear all the time. It was purchased at a bigger size, so not stretched. Hopefully they can all be sized down when the time comes.

MsThickMiddle: you are giving him positive reinforcement for tempting you with cookies

shells: sorry about your little man..hope he is feeling better soon!

mamakat: I liked the Central Park Zoo. Also the New England Acquarium has penguins.

haggis: welcome! the move also gives you plenty of opportunity for extra exercise

Mojojuju: pms sux! Great job on the pounds down though

Vixsin: absolutely you should write down your creations and share them too please

DZ: welcome! Sorry about the gall bladder attack..not a fun way to lose weight! I hope it doesn't become a regular thing for you.

K9: thank you

Maile: welcome!

berry: good for you for not turning to food. What you are working through with your son sounds really tough! I hope it has a good outcome for both of you. I hear you about sometimes feeling sorry for yourself when dealing with a child on the spectrum. I go through that as well. I feel like such a bad parent at time. But at the same time I also have many times when I celebrate my son's differences and really appreciate his uniqueness. He has such a great sense of humor and a very interesting way of looking at the world. I just try to take things one day at a time and not worry about if he will ever be able to live on his own, hold a job, or :wistful sigh: give me grand-babys.

mamakat: thanks for the encouragement I have actually been doing very good at passing up food that is not on plan. Just had my first moment of weakness since starting this journey. And you know what? It didn't turn into a week/month/year long binge, so I'm feeling pretty good about it

Orod: welcome!

shishke: I LOVE the charm bracelet idea!

boatingmommy: welcome!

IMJB: welcome! we're all in this together. I'm glad you are here!

rubidoux: welcome!

LGW: Congrats on being out of the 220s!!
jeniansmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:11 PM   #104  
Starting again

Sugar free carrot cake
2 C whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
1.25 C water
.75 C raisins
1 tsp cinnamon
.5 tsp nutmeg
1 C grated carrots
.5 C unsweetened applesauce
Preheat oven to 375
combine flour, bk soda, bk powder, and salt in one bowl. In a small saucepan, bring water, raisins, nutmeg, and cinnamon to a boil. Once it's boiling, reduce heat and simmer for 5 min. Put carrots in another bowl and pour the liquid on top. Add applesauce and mix thoroughly. Mix wet and dry ingredients. Pour into greased pan (recipe doesn't say what size) and bake for 45-60 min until knife inserted in middle comes out clean.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:18 PM   #105  
Starting again

Sugar free apple cream cheese frosting
1 C cream cheese
.5 C unsweetened apple juice concentrate
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
Leave cream cheese at room temp for half an hour to soften. Whisk cream cheese, apple juice, and vanilla until creamy. You can also add fruit puree if desired.