Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2004, 06:49 AM   #181  

Hello all!!

Sure could use a snow day or holiday or.... no??

Alright then, we won't have this Wednesday back again so.....

Here we go Wednesday, Here we go!!

(with enthusiasm !)

Here we go Wednesday, Here we go!

Arabella-- Glad the news re DS is more optimistic. Especially since you have your business trip.... Try and remember all your nutrients .... We want you strong.

Everyone else... sorry, I'm late again... I am sending you all good energy!!

Thought of the day :

"We are the choices we make."
-- Meryl Streep

Question of the day :

"How many tattoos do you have?"

KETTLE IS ON!

Did I ever tell you that you're my favorite???
Old 01-21-2004, 06:52 AM   #182  

Default Wednesday Message

Twenty years ago, I drove a cab for a living.

When I arrived at 2:30 a.m., the building was dark except for a single light in a ground floor window. Under these circumstances, many drivers would just honk once or twice, wait a minute, then drive away.

But, I had seen too many impoverished people who depended on taxis as their only means of transportation. Unless a situation smelled of danger, I always went to the door. This passenger might be someone who needs my assistance, I reasoned to myself.

So I walked to the door and knocked. "Just a minute", answered a frail, elderly voice.

I could hear something being dragged across the floor.

After a long pause, the door opened. A small woman in her 80's stood before me. She was wearing a print dress and a pillbox hat with a veil pinned on it, like somebody out of a 1940s movie.

By her side was a small nylon suitcase. The apartment looked as if no one had lived in it for years. All the furniture was covered with sheets. There were no clocks on the walls, no knickknacks or utensils on the counters. In the corner was a cardboard box filled with photos and glassware.

"Would you carry my bag out to the car?" she said. I took the suitcase to the cab, then returned to assist the woman.

She took my arm and we walked slowly toward the curb.

She kept thanking me for my kindness.

"It's nothing", I told her. "I just try to treat my passengers the way I would want my mother treated".

"Oh, you're such a good boy", she said.

When we got in the cab, she gave me an address, then asked, "Could you drive through downtown?"

"It's not the shortest way," I answered quickly.

"Oh, I don't mind," she said. "I'm in no hurry. I'm on my way to a hospice".

I looked in the rear-view mirror. Her eyes were glistening.

"I don't have any family left," she continued. "The doctor says I don't have very long."

I quietly reached over and shut off the meter. "What route would you like me to take?" I asked.

For the next two hours, we drove through the city. She showed me the building where she had once worked as an elevator operator.

We drove through the neighborhood where she and her husband had lived when they were newlyweds. She had me pull up in front of a furniture warehouse that had once been a ballroom where she had gone dancing as a girl.

Sometimes she'd ask me to slow in front of a particular building or corner and would sit staring into the darkness, saying nothing.

As the first hint of sun was creasing the horizon, she suddenly said, "I'm tired. Let's go now."

We drove in silence to the address she had given me.

It was a low building, like a small convalescent home, with a driveway that passed under a portico.

Two orderlies came out to the cab as soon as we pulled up.

They were solicitous and intent, watching her every move. They must have been expecting her.

I opened the trunk and took the small suitcase to the door.

The woman was already seated in a wheelchair.

"How much do I owe you?" she asked, reaching into her purse.

"Nothing," I said.

"You have to make a living," she answered.

There are other passengers," I responded.

Almost without thinking, I bent and gave her a hug. She held onto me tightly.

"You gave an old woman a little moment of joy," she said.

"Thank you."

I squeezed her hand, then walked into the dim morning light.

Behind me, a door shut. It was the sound of the closing of a life.

I didn't pick up any more passengers that shift. I drove aimlessly lost in thought. For the rest of that day, I could hardly talk.

What if that woman had gotten an angry driver, or one who was impatient to end his shift?

What if I had refused to take the run, or had honked once, then driven away?

On a quick review, I don't think that I have done anything more important in my life.

We're conditioned to think that our lives revolve around great moments.

But great moments often catch us unaware -- beautifully wrapped in what others may consider a small one.

PEOPLE MAY NOT REMEMBER EXACTLY WHAT YOU DID, OR WHAT YOU SAID, ~BUT ~ THEY WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER HOW YOU MADE THEM FEEL.

You won't get any big surprise in 10 days if you send it to ten people. But, you might help make the world a little kinder and more compassionate by sending it on.

Thank you, my friend. . . .

Old 01-21-2004, 06:56 AM   #183  
deleted2

Arabella, I'm happy things are looking up for you and DS, good that it was atended to so quickly. Have a good trip! What fun things are you going to do there?

Wildfire, the mix sounds really good! I'll have to look for it.

Kaylets, no tattoos-----yet! I must admit I've toyed with the idea. Something small though--no scorpions curled around my boobs or anything. Wow, there's an image, huh? [No offense to anyone with boob-scorpions, of course!]

Old 01-21-2004, 07:58 AM   #184  
Empress/Queen

Talking Yo!

Well, I, for one, am intrigued by the concept of scorpion boobs ...

Up early to work but left all notes at a newsroom far, far away ... a coworker was rude to me yesterday and I got mad and left abruptly, leaving everything up there ... so I might as well go to gym early, since I skipped yesterday altogether.

Punkin, hate to inform thee I've requested 3FC to return the clown ... funny, no response as yet ... could it be that everyone hates the clown but me ....

WN, I'm also happy for thee that ds' situation seems to be improving ... hope thou enjoyeth Boston and there's no snow!

Wildfire, thankee for the crunch details ... going to look for it, today!!! And, yes, I've oft thought thy dh sounded nice!

Wsw, picturing thee as a youthful and lovely Whistler's mother ... and I, for one, hope thou never giveth up magikal thinking! Magic be all around us, though sometimes we don't know it when we see it! Hope thou haveth fun picking out colors!!!!! What color scheme be thou considering?

Thanks for being on the demon food NOT thread with me! I posted a message to thee yesterday.

Also wish to thank Ceara and Kaylets for signing up to be Demon Food Slayers on the 21-day challenge as well ... it's really helping me get control of eating and I appreciate having fellow ly comrades in DF slaying!!!! Yowza!!!

Cerise, soundeth like thou hast had a lovely weekend and thou be right to have no regrets!!! Life's too short for any regrets at all and the 1.5 pounds be likely water ... I've likewise been off program but am going to shape up soon anyhow!!! Om shanti!!!

To all other s, mentioned or unmentioned, avanti!!! Off to gym, since I can't do any work!

Punkin, I'm only kidding about being mad about people not liking clowns ... but I did ask for it back!!!
Old 01-21-2004, 11:11 AM   #185  
Your Cruise Director

Thumbs down

Ok Kaylets darling you have me crying at my desk with that. What a beautiful story, hearwrenching and true.

I've got a quote of the day for you guys this morning
" Always look ahead, there are no regrets in that direction. " From the Proverbial Cat Calendar.
I think this is true about most anything, but also fits into our dieting. Don't obsess over the mistakes you have made, don't angst over that bowl of ice cream, instead plan on how you are going to do it differently next time. Think about your triggers and how to avoid them.

Mind you, I think that obsessing over cooking/food is part of my problem. So how to obsess about not obsessing?
Ok. going to go dry my eyes and get back to work. *hugs* and energy to all you lovely ladies
Old 01-21-2004, 11:36 AM   #186  
Is it Friday yet?

Mornin' all,

Wrist is doing much better this morning. I think part of the problem was trying to work with the brace on - my fingers were starting to go numb! It puts a lot of pressure on my wrist and I don't need any help with carpal tunnel thankyouverymuch, I have enough issues with that without the brace creating more! So, I'm only wearing it when there's a chance I could over use it, or hurt it again (driving, walking outside, lifting, etc.). I'm going to look for one of those ACE bandage type braces this weekend. I will survive!!!!!!

Oh, and down 2 more pounds, but Monday's still my official day!

SeattleJo, I'm the same way. I moved from CA and haven't been anywhere except back to CA since. No trips to the beach, or Portland, or any sightseeing... That's why I'm kinda' excited about my friend's move - somewhere new to go!

Eydie, yes, chocolate strawberries are considered a FRUIT! They're SO healthy they cancel out the chocolate. 'Least that's what I believe...
Hope the soak helped your back - doing better?

WSW, oooooh paint shopping! Fun!!!!!! I'm doing that this weekend too - looking for a nice fleshy/warm peach for my guest bathroom! I looooove having all those little painted pieces of paper stuck on the walls! Enjoy!

Cerise, thank you for checking in! Not that we thought SeattleJo was an axe murderer or anything.... I'm glad you enjoyed your company!

Arabella, I'm SO happy things are looking up! Enjoy your trip!

Kaylets, ya made me cry. Your Wednesday Message was SO sweet and really made me think. It's true, people will remember how you made them feel more often than what you said. Something to chew on today...

Q o' the day ~
I used to have 2 tattoos. Had them both removed because of a stupid man (aka the ex husband). Both were on my ankles - outside of the left, inside of the right. One I'm glad is gone (heart with wings, picked off of flash on the board - yaaaawn) and the other I wish I still had because it was a reminder of the best times in my youth - a little music note that I got at Sunset Strip Tattoo in Hollywood, CA in '89. In the late 80's I did a lot (a LOT) of hair-band following and that tattoo was my "proof" of my times in Hollywood. I do have plans to get another one someday. It will be very well thought out though - because now I know removing tattoos is far more painful than getting them!

Well, must away to do something that will pay the bills!

Terri
Old 01-21-2004, 02:02 PM   #187  
Empress/Queen

Kaylets, I made my lowfat herb biscuits with half whole wheat flour and they're great ... thanks for inspiring me! Can whole wheat brownies be far behind?

Old 01-21-2004, 02:30 PM   #188  
Your Cruise Director

Amarantha, I've seen recipes for whole wheat brownies. No clue what they'd be like, but it sounds interesting. Of course you could just leave the flour out... (Flourless chocolate cake mmmmm) but then thats not healthy
Old 01-21-2004, 02:35 PM   #189  
wsw

arabella-glad to hear things are looking up for you and ds!

wildfire-thanks for your enthusiasm regarding my-almost condo. today, my friend took me to look at some paint colors and it was fun! i really am starting to get a feel for what color scheme i want and could picture "my stuff" in there.

amarantha-i agree with you that magic really is all around us. i was reminded of that today, when i had a lovely lunch and paint perusing morning with my friend, who is my best friend's girlfriend. she was telling me how her friends, some people i've never even met, told her they also want to help with fixing up, painting my place. i have so much to be grateful for and so many good friends. there is indeed a lot of magic in my life.

kaylets-loved the story.

seattlejo-really like the quote. i know how important it is for me to do this, though not always as successful in this area as i would like. i'm a work in progress.

hi ceara!

hi punkin-glad to hear your wrist is doing much better today. congrats on being down 2 more pounds!

eydie-how's the back feeling today?

hi cerise! glad to hear you had enjoyed your 3 day wekend with houseguests!

so far, so good with being op today and did o.k. out for lunch too, which is sometimes more challenging for me. thinking of you all, my friends, mentioned or unmentioned. take good care of yourselves.

wsw
Old 01-21-2004, 02:44 PM   #190  
deleted2

Kaylets, I didn't get to read your story till this afternoon. How lovely! I so appreciate this "service". It's a loving act from you to us!

Ceara, thinking of you, and your friends. Be strong.

wsw, thanks for the remider that magick is all around!

Seattlejo, I'm a big-time food-freak. I'm always food-obsessed. The trick for me was becoming obsessed with healthy food, seeking it out at restaurants and cooking it, etc. Hey, it's even what I do at my job. How ironic is that?

Congrats on being down 2 more pounds, Punkin!

Think healthy, svelte thoughts, everybody!

Old 01-21-2004, 06:33 PM   #191  
Spreadin' the luv.

Darlings, I wish I could talk to you more, but reading your posts has taken all my free time from work, which isn't much. I'm going nuts this week...

I'm thankful that I have a little time to read your posts, because (as the rest of you have no doubt found on weeks like this) they sustain me and give me a feeling of normalcy, goodness and peace. Even the sad ones. Thank you for being here for me and for each other.

I'm staying OP for now and am grateful for the 1.5 pound wake-up-call. Unfortunately the weekend hit our wallets even more sorely than my weight. Never mind. Come Friday this will all be over.

Much, much love,
Old 01-21-2004, 09:35 PM   #192  
Hot Stuff

Happy Hump Day! Two more sleeps 'till Friday!

Weighed in tonight, down 1 lb. Looks like I'm going to have work for every ounce! Oh well, I am NOT giving up.

QOD: I have one, a jade green tribal dragon in the middle of my back. I'm thinking I'll get my Campbell tattoo when I reach goal.

Just a fly-by posting, just got in and I'm starving!
Old 01-22-2004, 08:08 AM   #193  

hello all!

Server went down for about 45 minutes this am so here I am here...

Thought of the day :

WORRYING
does not empty
TOMORROW OF ITS
TROUBLES

IT EMPTIES
TODAY OF ITS
STRENGTH

Question of the day :

"Are they rubber bands or elastic bands?"

Deep Thoughts (Part 11)
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk I have a work station.....
Do Lipton employees take coffee breaks?
What hair colour do they put on the driver's licenses of bald men?
Why do banks charge you an "insufficient funds fee" on money they already know you don't have?
Why is it, when a door is open it's ajar, but when a jar is open, it's not adoor?
Tell a man that there are 400 billion stars and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint and he has to touch it.
Why is lemon juice mostly artificial ingredients but dishwashing liquid contains real lemons?
Why doesn't glue stick to the inside of the bottle?
If man evolved from monkeys and apes, why do we still have monkeys and apes?
I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman, "Where's the self-help section?". She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.
Isn't it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do "practice?"
Where do forest rangers go to "get away from it all?"
Why do they lock gas station bathrooms? Are they afraid someone will clean them?
Why don't sheep shrink when it rains?
Why do they put Braille on the drive-through bank machines?
How do blind people know when they are done "wiping?"

Old 01-22-2004, 10:55 AM   #194  
Momma Frog

Wasn't on yesterday because I spent my day waiting on a tow truck. I now no longer have a car (at least for a couple of weeks). My transmission needs to be rebuilt. This car is only 2 years old bought brand new. I can't believe my freakin luck lately!!!! It's going to cost $1200 of money that I don't have. And I'm not sure how I'm going to get to and fro to both jobs. No one lives near me so I can't bum a ride to the office. Boss is extremely upset ("how come there's always a problem") It's not my fault. I just want to cry!!!
Old 01-22-2004, 11:01 AM   #195  
Your Cruise Director

Morning Ladies!
It's Thursday and I have a weekend packed with social goodness, lets just hope I can stay OP! I didnt weigh in end of last week and am a little annoyed by that. I'll have to get out to the mall and weigh in on Saturday morning. (Yeah we still dont have scale if you can believe it. I was set to get one this week , but hubby said I could by the software I've been wanting, so i got that instead.

*hugs to all* ok working now.

Kaylets, thank you so much for sharing the deep thoughts, they'll have me giggling all morning.
Closed Thread