Old 02-02-2010, 06:59 PM   #256  
Mind-Mouth-Muscle-Motion

S/C/G: 274/ticker/174

Height: 5'10"

Aunty Jam, sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. I have heard of people keeping a Gratitude Journal, which sounds like it might be similar.

RO - I agree, the recipe does sound good. I printed it out. Thanks!

Rosebud - that fleece blanket sounds so nice and cozy. Maybe I need one too.

I am excited because "Lost" starts up again tonight. DH can't stand it, but I love it. So many convoluted plot lines. Sadly, it is the last season.

Have a good evening, and stay warm!
Judy Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 03:04 PM   #257  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

RO ~ here's my recipe for homemade Meusli; very simple really ~

1/3 cup Quaker Granola Cereal/110
1/3 cup All-bran Buds or other whole grain cereal/60
2 tsp chopped nuts/35*
1 tbl seedless raisins/25
1 sliced dried apricot**/20

*I use hazelnuts (complete protein); or almonds & walnuts. **you can also sub with some dried cranberries (1 tbl) or whatever you want. This is for one serving and adds up to about 250 calories. I make up three individual servings at a time in see-thru plastic containers. Just grab; add milk and a bit of sweetener, if needed.

JUDY ~ we love that blanket so much; we are going to pick up another one.

AUNTY ~ I do a daily food journal and a gratitude journal as well. I do the same thing; only write down the positive stuff (ignore the neggies). By focusing on your positive accomplishments, you stay motivated to do even better next time. Even on the day(s) that I eat a bit more than I planned I just put a + sign on the total; I learn from it, and move on to the next day.

We have lovely here today; lovin' it too! We have lots of birdies comin' to our feeder the last few days. The colder temps encourages that, so we put out extra food during February and March for them. Hope you all have a wonderful Wednesday ... Rosebud

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 02-03-2010 at 03:05 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 08:15 PM   #258  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Thank you so much for the recipe, Rosebud. It looks delicious. I didn't know hazelnuts were a complete protein. You learn something new everyday.
retiredone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:46 PM   #259  
Rosebud

RO ~ yes, hazenuts are one of the few nuts that are a complete protein, so you can eat them all by themselves and get their Protein value (just chew them well); the others, you need to eat with something else in order to get their NV (nutrient value). I bet some people don't know that either. They are sometimes hard to find though -- I managed to get some over Christmas but when I looked this week, both stores were completely sold out of them; go figure ...

We had another lovely day, so we went out and picked up some bird feed, dog food, and another plush blanket (got the last one in that color). WE are all set now; will be nice and cozy. So I got in lots of walking today; tomorrow will be a rest day. We had fish for dinner becuz I was tired and it's tres easy ...

Hope you all have a fantastic Friday tomorrow ... Rosebud
Old 02-05-2010, 04:56 PM   #260  
Isabella

Thanks for that info. I'm vegetarian and of course I'm always on the lookout for good proteins. I can usually get hazelnuts at the Superstore in 100 gram bags which is not much considering how expensive that is. I don't ever remember seeing them in larger bags or even at a bulk food store in my area. I really like hazelnuts. Must keep my eyes peeled next time I go to the city.

We had a snow day here. It's our first real storm of the season but it's not too bad where I live. My two DSs are in the blizzard area and have quite a bit of snow. I got out to walk today but didn't make very good time as I had headwinds for most of the walk. But thankfully the temperature wasn't as low as it had been all week. Up to a balmy -6 or -7 most of the day.
Old 02-05-2010, 05:14 PM   #261  
Rosebud

RO ~ PLANTERS sells Hazelnuts in larger bags; and at a better price than the baking section ones. I got them at Christmastime, and when I went back to buy some more, they were all gone. Will maybe have to ask the manager if they can get them again. Sooo, I went to the grocery store and bought 2 bags of the ones still in the shell; but noticed this week that they are also sold out of them now too. They sure are becoming a very popular nut; but the demand is exceeding the supply by far ... drats!

We had some gorgeous again today; so nice for us. It is going down now and it's cooling off. Time to go put supper on; we're having pork shoulder steak and veggies for dinner tonight ... haven't had them in a while and found some in the freezer when we were putting groceries away the other day!

Have a wonderful weekend people ... Rosebud
Old 02-07-2010, 11:24 AM   #262  
Isabella

Rosebud, you are a wealth of information. I'll have a look for the Planter's nuts. I like to buy the larger bags and keep them in the freezer.

We had snow for the last 2 days and everything is piled high. We didn't have much of a storm but it was a steady snow with some wind at times. I walked today and then shoveled for a while. Now, I'm ready for spring but alas it is not to be so for a long time.

Have a good day, eh.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:25 PM   #263  
Gotta run!

S/C/G: 210/*ticker*/160

Height: 5'5

You too eh

Mmmmmmmmmm.... Hazel nuts are yummy, my Dad's allergic so we never had them in the house when I was a kid. I may go look for them now, what are they like calorie and fat wise?

Went swimming today with the husband and step daughter, holy smokes am I ever tired! It doesn't seem like you're working very hard when you're in the pool but once you get out you sure notice it! None of us has been swimming since we were in California last year, we plan to go more often

Last edited by Aunty Jam; 02-07-2010 at 06:27 PM.
Aunty Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 08:57 PM   #264  
Almost there

S/C/G: 210/147/145

Height: 5'4"

I didn't realize there were so many Canucks on 3FC!

I usually live in northern Ontario, but right now I'm living in the extreme north of Quebec and teaching in an Inuit village. Winter lasts from October to late May/early June, and temperatures can sometimes drop below negative 50... without including the windchill. Brrrr!

I just know that I'll never complain about how cold it is in Ontario ever again!
Kirjava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 10:00 PM   #265  
Rosebud

to our Canadian thread, KIRJAVA ~ I was in northern Quebec one winter (not as far up as you though) and it was quite cold there. My sister & her DH were working in a small town near Chibougamau and we went up one Christmas to visit. Can't believe we braved that now, but Angels were with us, and we had a safe trip there and back.

AUNTY JAM ~ hazelnuts are about 95 cals for 10-12 and 8.5 grams of fat for same; I usually eat about 6 at a time for <50 cals + 4.2 grams fat.

Just having a quiet weekend at home. We've had some nice here and that has certainly warmed things up for us here ... only -7C today. Have a great week everyone!
Old 02-07-2010, 10:31 PM   #266  
Gotta run!

Kirjava - That is seriously cold, I couldn't handle it. What do you teach?

Rosebud - Thanks, I'm going shopping tomorrow, maybe I'll look for some.

I'm starting to be ok with Norm's passing... I'm still sad I'll never see him again, never have him wrap me in a bear hug, make a face at my husband and say "Mine!" but I know he wouldn't want me to dwell on it, he wasn't that kind of person. It was a massive heart attack, his second one, doctors at the hospital said he was likely dead before he hit the floor. Norm was a fun guy.

I'm thinking of signing up for a 5k run/race in August... I can run on the spot for 20 minutes without stopping and I plan to go outside once summer comes (or maybe to a track sooner). I should be able to manage 5km by August.... right??????

Last edited by Aunty Jam; 02-07-2010 at 10:35 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:55 PM   #267  
Isabella

Hi gals.

Aunty Jam, I love swimming and I know what you mean about feeling it afterwards. I haven't been swimming since last summer and wish we had a pool close by so I could go every day. That 5k run is totally a possibility. It's amazing how quickly we can increase our endurance with practice.

Hi Kirjava. I guess long johns are a staple clothing article where you live. I wear them on really cold days myself as I hate feeling cold. We have a wood furnace and it's always warm inside but outside I'd like it to be as warm. Ha, ha.

Rosebud, it's really warmed up here. It was +3 today but that made for lots of slush. I don't know what's worse in winter, cold temperatures with hard snow or warm temperatures with slush.

Anyone have any plans for Valentine's Day? I'd like to do something special but DH is not likely to want to eat out as he doesn't like restaurant food. (He keeps adding up the food and comparing it to what we could have bought in a grocery store. So not much romance in that conversation.)
Old 02-08-2010, 05:00 PM   #268  
Rosebud

AUNTY ~ sorry to hear about your friend passing; it is true what they say ... time is the best healer of grief. After a while, we can reminisce over all the fun things about our friends and loved ones ...

RO ~ we don't go out on Valentine's Day very often either; but if I pressed the issue, we could. Honestly, there are only a couple of places here to dine out and it is very expensive. We went out to a nice place on my 50th birthday and splurged; but it isn't something we could do all the time. The place is kinda like a Swiss Chalet without the salad bar; it is nice, but they charge for it too. I used to be a professional cook myself, so I am a bit fussy; if I can't find a place that makes it as good as me, then forget it!

Well, it says it's only -9C out there, but with these cold northern winds, it feels a lot colder than that. We had to go out today and those winds almost blew us away. DH had a dentist appointment, otherwise we would have just stayed home.

We picked up some fresh foods and did some errands whilst we were out there; but boy, I was glad to get back home. DH was just saying it feels cold in here right now, so I am going to put the furnace up a bit to make it feel warmer in here. I just noticed that I can hear the winds coming down the furnace pipe ...

Have a great evening ... Rosebud
Old 02-09-2010, 04:44 PM   #269  
Gotta run!

Thanks everyone... I know it will take a while for me to be really ok with it.

I told my husband we could ignore V-day this year, he was shocked because I'm a bit of a romantic but I'm just not into it. Between some personal woes and not enjoying food the way I used to I'm just not sure it's worth the effort to do anything. Hubby has suggested a pasta dinner and a bottle of red wine (both my favorites), then the first (and only!) romantic movie he ever took me to see is playing on TV so he suggested we sit down and watch that together. And all I can think of is "Pasta is really bad... wine is really bad... it's a sunday, weigh in day... I need to work out". He's trying and if I don't say ok he'll get upset and frustrated and I can't even get mad at him for that because I'm frustrated with myself for being negitive about the whole thing! BLEH! Excuse me while I bang my head on my desk.

On a slightly better note, I've recruited 2 friends to do the 5k run with me and plan on doing the "Couch to 5k" program. It looks like something I can handle. One of my friends is a more experienced runner so I'll get to lean on him for some advice.

Oh and I found natural hazel nuts in the bulk baking section of Save on Foods but couldn't get any (budget), maybe next week.

Rosebud - Do you eat the natural ones or are they better processed? Eg, from Planters.

RO - I think we're going to go swimming agian this weekend... if I can convince hubby to go as more of a work out thing then an entertain-his-16yo-daughter type of thing.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:08 PM   #270  
Rosebud

AUNTY ~ I ate them both; and couldn't really tell any difference, except that the Planters were probably more uniformly bigger (you know, the natural ones may have a few shrunken ones or smaller ones in them). The Planters didn't have any salt on them either (and that's good); and the others were in their natural shell. I just happened to buy 2 big bags of the ones in the shell so I still have 1 left. I only bought 1 bag of the Planters, and I could kick myself in the butt for not buying more now. The Planters were only $1.00 more than the ones in the shell; which isn't that much really.

Your post just reminded me -- we have a new bulk food store here in town now; so maybe we'll go see if they have some or not, and what the price is there too. They say they have all kinds of nuts; but I will have to discipline myself and not look at the other stuff ...

PS ~ I think that pasta dinner with wine & a movie sounds great; pasta isn't bad. Just be sure to measure your serving to 1 cup cooked, then add your sauce or whatever you are having, like meatballs. If you are really concerned, just eat lighter at lunch. We just limit ourselves to pasta once a week; if I have leftovers, I save that for a lunch a few days later.

Just stayed home and did laundry and light housechores today; had chicken and roasted veggies for dinner. Had a good OP day, and am pleased about that. Have a wonderful Wedsnesday ... Rosebud

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 02-09-2010 at 09:13 PM.