Old 10-27-2009, 09:58 AM   #181  
Slower But Get'n There

S/C/G: 287.6/243.6/199

Height: 5'7"

24 oz water, 1 pause, day 0
No eating after 10:30 p.m., 3 pauses, day 0
33 points or less, 3 pauses, day 0

Still at day 0 on all of these. I was gone most of the day yesterday, but I'm home today and can work on these things.
JazzyPeggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 03:16 PM   #182  
Creating a Healthier Me

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

Gotta love the gym! Last night's meeting got switched to tonight, so I went to the gym and did 1/2 hour of Zumba and 1/2 hour of strength training. My eating was OP too. I think I'm gonna officially restart my cardio challenge on Thursday as I have a meeting tonight and DH and I are hoping to go fishing tomorrow after work.

So here's where I'm at:

Journal and stay within WW points - 0 pauses left - Day 15 completed
Drink 64 ounces of water - 1 pauses left - Day 16 completed
25 crunches - 0 pauses left - Day 16 completed
At least 10000 steps per day - 1 pauses left - Day 16 completed

Peggy - You're racking up your pauses faster than your days completed. Are these challenges too strict for you right now? You've got some lofty goals, which reminds me of a cool quote: "A goal without a plan is just a wish." ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupery So set yourself up for success by making plans and sticking to them.

Red - I love working out with weights too...though I'm sure I'm not as strong, muscular as you. I'm noticing some definition in my biceps, but that's about it. Everything else is mostly flab. When you cut calories...make sure you allow yourself some good lean protein to help repair the muscles worked when weight training. And you ARE a Phenomenal Woman, Red! And if I had my choice...and I guess I do...it'll just take a lot of work...I'd prefer to have a lean, muscular (not body builder, but some sculpting and tone) physique, rather than be skinny.

Shad - So glad to hear you're feeling better. And DS1 has perfect timing...he can help with the rest of the fence work...whether he wants to or not. I like your Great/Good/Bad days.

Hugs to all,
diyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 06:00 PM   #183  
Never give up

S/C/G: 78 kg/71/65?

Height: 5'1.5"

Cool notched on all fronts...

I am in a very vile mood, exasperated by having my old cat have an accident in my futon this morning. So, that pulled me out of bed very quickly. He's so old he has lost control I guess. All he does is spend the day crying incessantly constantly looking for special tidbits. Then when he has them he still cries. I guess it's senility. I am afraid to say I am really sick of him.
That, and I have a story hanging over my head I have to do today and now have to go out to meet some guy who wants to talk about work. Pulls me out for a breakfast meeting so I have to hit the rush hour and all he wants to do is, I don't know, talk about maybe getting some work where he works. Pisses me off, that too. Damn! Really, this is a horrible day so far and pms is aggravating it I guess, as if it needed any more aggravation.

NO ALCOHOL (round 5 minus 10 days and pauses) -- Day 14 completed 2 pauses taken
NO SMOKING (round 5) -- Day 6 completed 1 pause taken
CAFFEINE CUT (Round 6) -- Day 17 completed 3 pauses taken

Jazz -- I think the pauses you've marked are what you're allowing yourself, right? Best to mark them somehow so we know. So, I take it, you just haven't been able to start yet, is that right? What's the problem? I agree with diyana, if these challenges are too hard for you, knock them down in level. There is absolutely no sense in setting yourself up for failure.

diyana -- Good to hear you hit the gym and got in what sounds like a nice workout. With eating on plan too you're definitely fully in the game. Nice to see. Even though you don't have a cardio challenge, you're still getting a lot in, so it sounds good.
I am so disgusted with my weight. It just doesn't budge and I guess it's simply because I eat too much, but I am hungry and my appetite just gets the best of me. Maybe it's those steroids though I only took them three days. Pms? Maybe that too, but my weight has climbed all monthlong. I guess it's the weight training, but come on, why is it so hard? I need some relaxation in my life, some respite from the worries, but that's not going to come I guess, not in my current situation.
Anyhow, you keep up the good work and don't bother with me.....certainly not a phenomenal anything except maybe in the biggest rut you can imagine.
redballoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 02:04 AM   #184  
Slower But Get'n There

S/C/G: 287.6/243.6/199

Height: 5'7"

24 oz water, 1 pause, day 1
No eating after 10:30 p.m., 3 pauses, day 0
33 points or less, 3 pauses, day 0

I stopped @ 10:30 then got hungry and ate some cereal.
JazzyPeggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:25 AM   #185  
Creating a Healthier Me

Hey ladies -

No gym for me yesterday, as I had a meeting with a website client that went until nearly 8 pm. Tonight after work, I'm either going fishing with DH or going to the gym. I'd rather go to the gym...but we're running out of nice weather days...so if he wants to go fishing, I'll go with him. Tomorrow, it's the gym for sure as I have a strength training class, a Zumba class and then an appt with my trainer/coach.

Journal and stay within WW points - 0 pauses left - Day 16 completed
Drink 64 ounces of water - 1 pauses left - Day 17 completed
25 crunches - 0 pauses left - Day 17 completed
At least 10000 steps per day - 1 pauses left - Day 17 completed

Peggy - Sorry if I misunderstood your pauses. Good for you for drinking the water. That should help with hunger, as sometimes the body perceives thirst as hunger.

Red - Sorry to hear about your cat's accident. It's so difficult when they get older. Hang in there. Sounds like you're keeping busy between the breakfast meeting and the story. I hope your day got better. Steroids will DEFINITELY increase the appetite and make PMS MUCH MUCH WORSE! In fact, even if I'm not PMS-ing...when I'm on Steroids, I have the mood swings from H*LL!! The drop of a hat could send me into a tirade. So hang in there. I've been there and it sucks, but this too shall pass.

Shad - I hope you're enjoying a good visit with DS1. How long is he visiting for?

Last edited by diyana; 10-28-2009 at 08:25 AM.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:56 PM   #186  
Never give up

Cool caffeine falls.....

I'm afraid the caffeine challenge fell four days before completion. There was no way around it....well, there was, but at this meeting in a cafe discussing work there was nothing to drink on the menu and the coffee was cheap and...well...I had 2 small cups, which is more caffeine than I've been allowing myself. It doesn't bother me. It's the first coffee I've had outside my normal morning dose in months. I have no idea if this is helping anything but like with so much there is really no way of knowing.
Anyhow, good news! The scale numbers edged downwards for the first time in a long time, hitting the same weight as Oct. 16. I am recording and tallying calories, which I think helps me limit myself a bit. I am not requiring myself to actually limit them but if I see that my calories are way high then I can blame no one but myself for the fact that my weight stays high, so I do make efforts just to keep the total at least at a point where I shouldn't gain. And, I think, what is the point of letting this day go by when I have been to the gym and exercised and am really quite fit, but don't look it, or at least don't look nearly as good as I could?
It's like so much in my life. I am really selling myself short.
I guess it's because my priorities have never been looks, it's always been about health and at 160 lbs I don't think I'm endangering my health with the extra pounds, just compromising my appearance. I suppose I have to think of a new reason to achieve the appearance I say I want. What could that be?

NO ALCOHOL (round 5 minus 10 days and pauses) -- Day 15 completed 2 pauses taken
NO SMOKING (round 5) -- Day 7 completed 1 pause taken
CAFFEINE CUT (Round 7 minus 4 days and pauses) -- Day 0 completed 0 pauses taken

Another thing, my backpack felt very heavy yesterday, so when I got home I weighed it. I was thinking it must be like 15 kgs or something and here it was ONLY 7 kg. My God, and I want to lose at least 10 kgs. Just think how much lighter I would feel on my feet.

diyana -- Too bad about not being able to get to the gym but you tried and certainly had a good reason for not going. I like the way you look ahead and plan or anticipate what you'll be doing.
I still haven't started the story and today is the deadline. I did do a lot of behind-the-scenes work on it though, such as transcribing the tape and establishing an outline for the story structure. This is important. The actual writing I can usually pull off with a few hours. It's only 1,200 words. Still, that said, it's never as easy as I think it will be and it would be nice to get out from under the deadline threat.
I kicked the old cat out of the futon last night and he didn't venture back. I did go out and buy a pad in the case that there was another accident. Not that it would help because it would still soak through but maybe I could whip it off fast enough to save myself some major work. I also looked in a shop yesterday for senior citizens who are bed-ridden and though it was closed I found a place that sells waterproof sheets. I may just get that. It's getting cold and the old guy needs and wants to snuggle at night. It sure is a pain but he won't be with me much longer anyhow. I hate pushing him away. Ok, sorry about all the info there.
I was happy the weight finally dropped a little. My body seems to be changing but the jeans are no looser really. So, it's very, very discouraging because my goal is SO far away and there is a LOT of fat on me still. I guess I have to be content with very slow progress as that seems to be the way things are going these days. I must say I am surprised at the number of calories I am consuming. I didn't use to eat this much. It seems I have gotten in the habit of much more calorie-dense food for some reason. I guess it's just a habit and habits (like my afternoon lattes) can be broken.

Jazzy -- Congrats for achieving liftoff on one of your challenges. Now use that momentum and work on the others. Intention does count though so don't be discouraged. Just keep trying.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:38 AM   #187  
Creating a Healthier Me

Red - Congrats on the weight loss! That's wonderful! I understand how discouraging it can be sometimes when we don't see the weight or inches melt away as fast as we'd like...heck, I'm probably going to see a gain on the WW scale today, which is frustrating even though I do know why and I have no one to blame except myself, Kraft and Betty Crocker! We had to get waterproof "puppy training" pads when our senior dog who would sleep with us starting losing control of his bodily functions. Hang in there. Good luck on the article.

Jazzy - I hope you're having a great OP day today!!

Shad - Are you busy fencing? I hope you're feeling all better now.

I went to the gym last night and did only about 1/2 hour of cardio. I tried to go longer, but had some ankle pain...and since I've got two classes and a meeting with the trainer tonight, I didn't want to push through the pain. So I went home and iced the ankle. I'm really tired today. Lots to do, both at work and even more at home. I'm looking at a very busy weekend. I've got to do a thorough cleaning of our bedroom, as we have rather large dust bunnies that are affecting DH's allergies. Plus, DH and I want to go fishing at least once before we store the boat for winter. I've got some website work to do, and some yard work to do. I think I'm going to need about 30 hours in the day for the next week or so to get caught up!

Journal and stay within WW points - 0 pauses left - Day 17 completed
Drink 64 ounces of water - 1 pauses left - Day 18 completed
25 crunches - 0 pauses left - Day 18 completed
At least 10000 steps per day - 1 pauses left - Day 18 completed
1/2 hour of cardio - 3 pauses left - Day 1 completed
Old 10-29-2009, 08:46 AM   #188  
Never give up

diyana, just saw your egg light on. I finished my story. Hurrah! It was tough but that's when I do some of my best work. I need the deadline pressure. Makes things gel. And then I sent it off to the person I had interviewed and she was very happy. Said it was the first time she hadn't been disappointed by a story and she has recently been in the news a lot because she was the trainer for one of Japan's Olympic dressage riders. She thanked me for writing it so nicely and for writing about her and dressage. So, yippee. I was hoping she'd like it, had imagined that kind of reply and then got it!
I got it as I arrived at the gym and checked my computer email on my phone. Getting to the gym was another plus. I forced myself to go even though it was late. It was a slog walking the 50 min. there but I said, well, you've been sitting at the computer all day, so you NEED the exercise and it did feel good!
Now back and heading to bed. Will write more tomorrow. Good to see you on here! I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who allows animals that may not be able to control themselves into the bed with me. Wintertime usually sees three or four cats huddled around me...I guess it brings back memories for them of huddling around their mama. Thanks for the congrats!

Last edited by redballoon; 10-29-2009 at 08:49 AM.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:16 PM   #189  
Never give up

Cool another day....

Well, that's where things stand. I feel bad about the caffeine challenge actually because I was so close. Then again, I was pretty strict with calling pauses. It doesn't really matter. I have totally changed my caffeine consumption ways, for what it's worth. "There's something happening here, what it is ain't exactly clear..." Who of you get that?

In the background these days is my as-yet-undeclared challenge, recording calories. It is opening my eyes to my recent habits and I don't really understand how it is that I have gotten in the habit of consuming so many calories. Or maybe I'm just being more accurate. But years ago, and not that long ago at that, I was able to stay under 2,000 pretty easily. Not anymore, I have close to 3,000 on many days. I think I started allowing myself all sorts of fatty things and they became a habit. Before, I never ate them. Anyhow, it's not fun counting calories. I really hate it actually. I feel so restricted, so controlled and I am, but I should look at it and say, it's better to know because then I can control the weight.

Ah, well, whatever, it's all so hard and the biggest stress hanging over me is work and the lack of it.

NO ALCOHOL (round 5 minus 10 days and pauses) -- Day 16 completed 2 pauses taken
NO SMOKING (round 5) -- Day 8 completed 1 pause taken
CAFFEINE CUT (Round 7 minus 4 days and pauses) -- Day 1 completed 0 pauses taken

Old 10-29-2009, 07:54 PM   #190  
Never give up

Ah yes, I forgot the clothes check. Here it is and I'm not happy. Then again, looking back I see that nothing has really changed, so what was I expecting? It's just that I feel tighter and probably am but it apparently isn't doing much in the way of size. So discouraging. I don't know how I can eat less. I am really, truly hungry most of the time and feel, despite the calories that nothing fills me up. Maybe my body just wants the fat more these days for some reason. Maybe I just need to give it more time. I don't understand my body anymore.

Oct. 30
Still not much changed. Can get them closed but barely. Weight was 72.6. I am very pissed off because I have really been working out a lot recently and though I feel changes elsewhere, the jeans don't change. It's very discouraging. I am ready to give up. That said, if I look back to the end of last year, I see that I could almost wear them and my weight was 69.8. That would indicate to me that I have more muscle again and less fat, or perhaps the 2.8 kg is what I need to get to that point. It would seem like a lot though. That's just over 6 lbs.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:10 AM   #191  
Creating a Healthier Me

Had a great evening last night at the gym...a strength training class that kicked my butt, followed by a Zumba class that wore me out, and then a "baseline" measurements taking and goal setting meeting with my trainer. He helped me set up realistic goals to get me through the holidays. I did eat a fairly late dinner last night as I didn't get home from the gym until after 8 pm.

My weigh in yesterday was less than stellar as I was up 1.2 lbs. But I know why (indulgences a la Kraft and Betty Crocker), and I'm sticking with plan and moving more this week.

Journal and stay within WW points - 0 pauses left - Day 18 completed
Drink 64 ounces of water - 1 pauses left - Day 19 completed
25 crunches - 0 pauses left - Day 19 completed
At least 10000 steps per day - 1 pauses left - Day 19 completed
1/2 hour of cardio - 3 pauses left - Day 2 completed

Red - Congrats on finishing the story and having it happily approved by the interviewee!! It's always nice to receive compliments! So proud of you for getting to the gym! It is so often hard to drag ourselves there, but we almost always feel much better afterward, don't we? I know how you feel about having to restart a challenge, as I had to restart cardio. And I did get the quoted reference..."You better stop...hey what's that sound...everybody look what's going down." Yes, I was alive in the 1960s. I was young but have two older sisters...so I'm familiar with all the music of the day. As for counting calories...that's great! It helps me "keep it real" when otherwise I could so easily slip into denial. And as they say..."Denial ain't a river in Egypt." Rather than feeling restricted and controlled by the counting...look at it as YOU being honest and IN CONTROL. I haven't been keeping up my clothes challenge...but I did notice yesterday that my Womens Size 16 pants were looser. Maybe I'll be brave and try the Misses Size 16s this weekend. As for calories...if you're typically eating close to 3,000 calories, can you cut it back to 2,500 or even 2,750 for a few weeks? Don't cut too much or your body will hold on to fat. As for hunger...can you choose lower calorie options. For me, I like to munch on crunchy stuff when I watch football. So I allow myself a few pretzels, but then switch to carrots. For sweets, I either eat a yummy apple, grapes, yogurt or Fat Free Sugar Free pudding. I try and get the most filling for my points. Also, I love making homemade veggie soup. I take a few cans of diced tomatoes, a can of veggie broth (or FF chicken broth), add carrots, cabbage, zucchini, mushrooms, celery and whatever else...bring it to a boil and then let it simmer for an hour or two. Yummy. And I allow myself a bowl or two when I'm hungry. Unfortunately, it's not portable to eat on the run. For eating on the run, I grab a Fiber One bar. They're only 2 WW points per bar and very filling. As for the weight gain, it may be your muscles retaining water to help them repair after working out. I didn't believe that at first when my WW leader told me about it, but I've since seen many articles on it. It's just a temporary gain....don't worry. Hang in there, my sista!

Shad and Jazzy - I hope you both are having a great OP day!

Hugs,
Old 10-31-2009, 08:38 PM   #192  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

So, starting on Monday - that is tomorrow anyway, my new (and old) challenges will be:

1300 Calories per day - 3 pauses
30 minutes vigorous exercise - 3 pauses
Plus 100 crunches - 3 pauses
Journal and count food intake - no pauses
Water - 1500ml per day - 3 pauses.

I might think of something more inspirational during the day, but I'll start with those tomorrow.
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 09:06 PM   #193  
Never give up

Unhappy the truth of the matter...

Hi all...well, just diyana it seems these days...I got through yesterday with no problem, but the day before was a wash. Ok, I'm still within my pauses. Gotta be careful though, no more drinking for four more days. Today would be a temptation but I don't feel like it anyhow. Still, unless I avoid walking home a certain way from the racetrack today there will be pressure to "have one" which always leads to more than one.
Oh, I just saw Shad posted...hurrah! Welcome back and good luck from tomorrow on your new mega round of challenges!

My old cat is driving me crazy. He cries incessantly, no matter how much he eats. I don't know what he wants. Probably he doesn't either. I just may kill him before the old guy dies anyhow. If I yell at him he goes outside and cries like a loon. Last night I had a dream the neighbors had put up a notice complaining. I think he can't hear himself too well either. The other day I went out to get him in and he couldn't tell I was calling him. Was looking in the wrong direction. Today though he seemed to hear me right away. He'll be crying and then just stop suddenly. I really don't understand him. But then, I guess that's senility. Here's what they say....The most commonly seen changes include spatial (space) or temporal (time) disorientation, altered interaction with the family, changes in sleep-wake cycles, house-soiling with inappropriate urination/defecation, changes in activity, and/or inappropriate vocalisation (often displayed as loud crying at night).....He's got a lot of those.

NO ALCOHOL (round 5 minus 10 days and pauses) -- Day 17 completed 3 pauses taken
NO SMOKING (round 5) -- Day 9 completed 2 pause taken
CAFFEINE CUT (Round 7 minus 4 days and pauses) -- Day 3 completed 0 pauses taken

diyana -- Sounds like you had a GREAT workout at last after your days of not being able to get to the gym. Good for you for taking on a trainer. I am sure that would really help. The weight will come back off. Like you always tell me, just keep at it.

Thanks for the congrats on my story. It's over and done with and gone, just like all my stories in newspapers. It made my day for about a day, the interviewee's praise. After that, it's lost because the people around me can't read it in English. Oh well, thank God I've never really looked for any sort of validation or boost from my writing. I do it. It's done. That's about it.

Glad you understand the "For What It's Worth" excerpt. You and I must be about the same age.

Yes, the calorie counting is a must, I realize. Really, I have my old notebooks and I used to be able to keep my calories far below what I consume now and on a regular basis. I am NOT eating that much food, but it tends to be all dense food and the thought of eating things like vegetables and fruit is very unappealing for some reason. Something changed in my body or mindset and whereas before I was happy to eat a vegetable curry that I made, nowadays I have no interest.. Probably, part of the reason is that is doesn't taste that good and I am sick of it. Still, I can eat fruit and that is far better than other things. I just have to try to do this!!! In fact, here it goes. I am committing to a NEW CHALLENGE! I will keep my calories under 2,000!!! Here goes!

CALORIE CHALLENGE Day 0 completed 0 pauses taken
Old 11-01-2009, 06:59 PM   #194  
Never give up

Talking liftoff on calories!!!

I did it. I got through my first day of my new calorie challenge. It wasn't easy because I was at the track and there there is no decent food to eat and no time to go looking for things. I could have brought something but had rushed out in the morning. As it was, I was given (and ate) a bit of sweet stuff but figured it all in, estimating on the high end. The short of it was, I just didn't eat so I was quite hungry. On the other hand, that probably helped me from going over later in the day.
Then, and this I didn't really even like, I left the track directly and went to the gym. Now, normally, I'd stop off at a little bar on the way home and drink free beers. I also met two friends who were lifting a pint after calling the races and I would have loved to join them (kind of), but they weren't pressing me to, so I just left. It didn't feel right though to be going to the gym after a big race. I felt like I need to "mark" the day somehow and gyms to me are something you do when you don't have a life, or something in the background, not the foreground.
Still, I went. Didn't do all that much but these days I'm thinking a little but often is better than a lot but seldom.
Then I walked the 50 minutes home. All along I was tallying calories. My breakfast oatmeal had come to a whopping 800 calories, which is probably what helped me get through the day. Now, I've cut back.
Anyhow, in short, I did it and am happy about that.
Yesterday, because of my recent efforts at the gym, I felt less sloppy. I certainly didn't feel thinner, but I just felt less horrible than I usually do at the track with all those super thin, lean jockeys and whatever. The only fat person I saw was another non-Japanese. I really do feel better not having to feel bad around them and they really do make you feel bad. Japanese are constantly commenting on your weight at the track, constantly. I've written about this before and it really irritates me. I don't know what it is they think gives them license to -- the atmosphere of lean racehorses, the fact that many of them are filthy rich and overly concerned with appearance, people trying to vie for others' attention -- I don't know but it is definitely there.
Before the gym I had stopped off at Starbucks for a tea kick and usually indulge in something sweet. But yesterday I didn't. Even the clerk who knows me as a regular asked if I was going to eat something and I said, "no, today, I'm going to hold back." After the gym I had my usual vegetable curry to which I usually add cheese but I did not order the cheese, thus saving calories and keeping me under 2000. Hurrah, two saves. Oh, that I can just keep this up.....
Ok, enough out of me. Shad, I'm looking for your first successful challenge day!

CALORIE CHALLENGE (under 2,000) Day 1 completed 0 pauses taken
NO ALCOHOL (round 5 minus 10 days and pauses) -- Day 18 completed 3 pauses taken
NO SMOKING (round 5) -- Day 10 completed 2 pause taken
CAFFEINE CUT (Round 7 minus 4 days and pauses) -- Day 4 completed 0 pauses taken

Old 11-02-2009, 07:50 AM   #195  
Creating a Healthier Me

Shad - Welcome back. I hope the visit with DS1 went well.
Those are some mighty impressive challenges! YGG!

Red - I'm glad you're feeling less "sloppy". The gym will make you tighter and increase your metabolism, but I know you know that. Good for you on your calorie challenge!

All my weekend exercise came in the form of housework, yard work and carrying stuff up and down the stairs to and from the basement (laundry, putting away Halloween decorations, etc.) But believe me, I got in two days of really good workouts, only resting occasionally when the back was yelling at me to rest.

Journal and stay within WW points - 0 pauses left - Day 20 completed
Drink 64 ounces of water - 1 pauses left - Day 21 completed -
25 crunches - 0 pauses left - Day 21 completed -
At least 10000 steps per day - 1 pauses left - Day 21 completed -
1/2 hour of cardio - 3 pauses left - Day 5 completed

Today is going to be a crazy, crazy busy day at work, so I'd best get to it.