South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 01-09-2012, 09:35 AM   #76  

S/C/G: 238/ticker/150

Height: 5'6

Happy birthday Katie!

Here we go on week two, everyone! Keep up the good work. I'm down a few pounds so far, but feel kinda bloated today so wouldn't be surprised if the scale tipped in the other direction for a while.
fozentusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:51 AM   #77  

S/C/G: 176/145

Height: 5'5

Hi all, GREAT job everyone! It ain't easy, but its paying off.

I've been on the treadmill which seems to have accelerated the weight loss, I'm down 6 lbs but can't believe that really. I dont have a digi scale so perhaps its a small error. I have lost some though as my clothes feel better. Yay! I went out to lunch with a girlfriend and had the fajitas no tortillas, all the veggies, some cheese and guacamole. It was very satisfying. However, a couple hours later I realized that may have all been cooked up in vegetable oil, it was slightly greasy. Ah well. Its hard to be 100% sometimes especially in those situations. Had to turn down peppermint chocolate cake at a birthday yesterday...it looked amazing......sigh....

Wishing everyone well this week,

Jessica
jessicags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:11 AM   #78  

S/C/G: 151.5/149.9/135

Height: 5'4"

Yay, Jessica... congrats on the 6lbs!

To your fajita point, in eating-out situations, I always personally err on the side of avoiding any specifically "triggering" off-plan foods (sugar, bread, etc.), and going a little easier on myself when it comes to specific oils, full-fat dairy, etc. So, for example, if I go out for Greek, I don't really stress that the feta on my salad is full fat--I just enjoy it in moderation, and try to eat lighter the rest of the day.

Yeah, I know it's technically off-plan, and I am sure others will disagree with me, but at the very least it may slow weight loss a bit, rather than entirely derail my P1 detox efforts, you know?
swandive81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:20 AM   #79  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Congrats, Jessica! I agree with SwanDive (and ran into the same thing this weekend). These things happen and if you make the best decisions possible, you're doing the right thing.

This is the first weekend in many that I have not gone crazy foodwise. I stuck to plan about 95% and it paid off... I'm down 5.2 for my first weigh-in. It was 6.4 yesterday but today is my weigh-in day so I'm counting today's weight. I'm very happy with the results and my holiday weight is almost gone

Onto week two! I am excited for Phase 2, that's for sure.

Last edited by djs06; 01-09-2012 at 11:21 AM.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:06 PM   #80  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

OK, I've been on Phase 1.5 or 2 for the whole weekend! First, I went off Phase 1 as a conscious choice (with some friends I haven't seen in ages, at an African restaurant with I'm pretty sure NO P1 choices... no salads, the only veggies were really carrots and yucca...) Not saying I think it was the ideal choice, but given not going out to eat with my friends vs. eating pretty much Phase 2 (nothing crazy) I think I did OK.

Then there was the lunch at a friend's house. There, admittedly, I *could* have stayed Phase 1 but I ventured to the other side to eat & drink what the others were.

Since I didn't make any extreme carby/sweet choices, I feel just fine. Back on plan.

Congrats to all of you staying perfectly on plan!! I can do it on my own but have real difficulties imposing on others (such as changing a choice of a restaurant or turning down food a hostess made) to stay Phase 1.

Now I just have to decide if I RE-start the two weeks or just carry on. Also another gathering next weekend is going to pose similar challenges... I didn't weigh after the weekend but I think if my weight went up, that might be the motivation I need to just stick to the plan.
Since a friend thought I was PREGNANT yesterday, I think I need to just buckle down.

Last edited by EmmaD; 01-09-2012 at 02:07 PM.
EmmaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:54 PM   #81  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by swandive81 View Post
To your fajita point, in eating-out situations, I always personally err on the side of avoiding any specifically "triggering" off-plan foods (sugar, bread, etc.), and going a little easier on myself when it comes to specific oils, full-fat dairy, etc. So, for example, if I go out for Greek, I don't really stress that the feta on my salad is full fat--I just enjoy it in moderation, and try to eat lighter the rest of the day.
Here's a fun and tasty fact - full fat feta is usually still in the acceptable fat range. It's a dry cheese and usually lower fat (like Parmesan), so enjoy your full fat in moderation. Once I figured that out I tossed the reduced fat feta. Now I buy sheep feta, very strong and a little goes a long way.

I agree with your strategy and employ the same one. I'm much more concerned about triggering cravings than a little extra fat. A slower loss isn't the long term problem cravings are for me.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:43 PM   #82  

S/C/G: 240/208/180

Height: 5'10"

Congrats to everyone on their success! It's so great to hear from others who are seeing results!

I'm only on day 6, but I cheated and weighed this morning, and I've lost my 4 pounds of holiday weight. Yay! So far, I don't think I've cheated ... hoping to make it through the 14 days: we'll see! The best news was my blood pressure at the doctor this morning: 100/70. I've never had much of a problem with BP, but it hasn't been that low in a long time.

One question: What do you guys think about the dark cocoa powder almonds? I think they're P1-friendly, but wanted to see if anyone had a definitive yes or no?
JDS4MU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:00 PM   #83  

S/C/G: 151.5/149.9/135

Height: 5'4"

CyndiM, that's the best news I've heard all week. I live in a predominently Greek neighborhood, and one thing I refuse to buy is low-fat or fat-free feta; it seems so dumb to me to spend so much more for an inferior, additive-laden product at the supermarket when I can go into the mom and pop Greek grocery on the corner and choose from at least six different fetas, all incredibly fresh and delicious. I knew I loved SBD, this just confirms it!
swandive81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:47 PM   #84  

S/C/G: 238/ticker/150

Height: 5'6

Hmm.... I think I'm going to buy the big bucket of full fat feta and freeze it in smaller portions!
fozentusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:08 PM   #85  
Staying focused

S/C/G: 271/246/188

Height: 5'7"

JDS4MU- I believe the cocoa roasted almonds contain food starch or potato starch in the coating, which would make them off plan for both P1 and P2. Read the ingredients carefully.
magrat0315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:27 AM   #86  

S/C/G: 176/145

Height: 5'5

Thanks guys for the feedback on the fajitas. I was kind of thinking that, so the validation makes me feel better! Great job to those losing weight and/or staying OP. Last night I think for 4 hours straight I was dying for cake or cookies. It really almost felt like torture, seriously I had to fight minute by minutes not to eat sweets. Unfort. they are around since my husband and stepkids aren't dieting. One more week to go.....

Jessica
jessicags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 12:56 PM   #87  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDS4MU View Post
One question: What do you guys think about the dark cocoa powder almonds? I think they're P1-friendly, but wanted to see if anyone had a definitive yes or no?
Right - as magrat said, the Emerald brand has potato starch. I make my own! Of course not the same as the commercial ones but pretty darn good....
you can do with an egg white wash to make the cocoa powder/sweetener stick better but usually I don't do that. Just a mist of canola oil, then shake in a mixture of cocoa powder & sweetener of choice (I use stevia), then roast for 5-10 min at ~ 350°F.

And yay for real feta!!
EmmaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:24 PM   #88  

S/C/G: 143/143/135

Height: 5' 9"

Hey Guys!

New to 3FC...Have done South Beach in the past and due to some holiday "fun" I am back on...just stated Phase 1 yesterday...wish me luck!
RaeGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:31 PM   #89  

S/C/G: 143.1/130.5/110

Height: 5'1

Welcome RaeGrace! I just restarted phase 1 yesterday so I'm right here with you!
asphyxia63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 03:28 PM   #90  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/150

Height: 5' 5"

I don't know why I ever stay away from this forum! I always regret it...and when I come back and start posting, I'm so glad I did!

So, here I am...back again....realizing yet again that SB is the only way of life for me!!

Alas...I'm coming back even heavier than when I started at my heaviest a couple of years ago....but, can only go down from here, right?!?

I've already messed up the day today with my Jimmy Dean Delight b'fast sandwich...but I do have an OP lunch packed, so I will just go ahead and start RIGHT NOW!!! No time like the present. Luckily, I have lots of OP foods in the house already, so dinner will be a cinch. The hard part will be this weekend when I go to a friends house for a "Thanksgiving" dinner. I will just make sure to bring some mashed cauliflower and lots of veggies and call it good. Saying no to the pie will be the hard part!

I started a boot-camp style exercise class last week...totally kicked my butt, it's twice a week for 12 weeks. I'm hoping that will get me motivated enough to get off my tooshy on other days of the week as well. But actually paying someone to kick my butt into gear is what needs to be done....it's obvious I haven't been doing in on my own! ugh!

Good luck to all...and I'm SO thankful for this Forum!!
jyoyo78 is offline   Reply With Quote