Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 10:07 AM   #121  

Vickie, those are very sweet things to do for your niece. I know that a couple days after the baby is born, your hormones go a little haywire. I'm sure she's glad to have a comforting, steadying influence in her life. You all know that if, for some reason, I ever got pregnant again, I'd expect you all to come out here and help me through those first few weeks. It's probably a very good thing I'm not planning on having any more.

Dh and I went out to Texas Roadhouse last night. I went into it planning to order whatever looked the best and deal with the consequences later. But, even though I ordered the chicken-fried sirloin, I had the gravy on the side, and I only ate about 1/4 of it. So even though I tried to be really bad, I couldn't! Our 10th anniversary is on Tuesday, so we were celebrating a little early.

Lorena and Allen are having an open house this afternoon. I get to go help serve cake, etc. I'm hoping a lot of people show up...they need friends AND housewarming gifts. I've given them a lot already, but I think I will give Lorena a set of hand-embroidered tea towels (dish towels) that I've been working on since I was 16. I'm a little slow when it comes to crafts sometimes.

My house is a pit, so I'm off to start cleaning up.

Angela
Old 04-22-2006, 10:26 AM   #122  
Melissa

Hi everyone. Thanks for your concern. I was trying to spare you the details. But I know how you all are! Since having the stomach flu my system has been "backed up" and I think it just got to the breaking point Thursday night. I took some "medicine" and things are "going" better now. Now that was definitely TMI!
But I am feeling better this morning. Still a little crampy and whatnot but I think the worst is over. I just hope I don't mess myself up again. I need to be careful about what I eat I think.

Vickie, I hope that you have a great time today visiting the nieces. I'm sure that Jim will be fine, but I understand the worrying--I would worry too. Have fun though!

Angela, that is sweet of you to give over those towels. You must be attached to them by now! Could you come clean my house too?

For that matter, could everyone come pack some boxes? Between two weekends of being sick and Easter in the middle, I haven't gotten much done. And we close on Friday!!!!!!!!

Kathy, I hope that you are able to do something fun today. Not move around a lot of course, but just something you can enjoy. Maybe someone would come play poker with you or something?

Well I am off to try to do some packing and eat something. I feel like moving around at least a little will help. It is so beautiful here today. I hope that you all have great Saturdays!
Old 04-22-2006, 12:12 PM   #123  

Height: 5'7"

Ugh!! I was sleeping so well until Judd came and woke me up -- asking how much did we owe on the Trailblazer and how about trading it on a Toyota because of gas prices? Well, good morning to you, too! I don't think I want to do that though. He's' already gotten a pre-approval this morning so if I don't watch him, he'll be trading in my car. He's leaving at 5:00 to go spend the night with a friend because he's in a tournament tomorrow that starts at 8 a.m. and it's about two hours away. I'll have a quiet evening of TV.

Kate is sick, poor little thing. She was off work yesterday and when she woke up, her eye was glued together and swollen. I talked to her around 6:00 and she was looking for a friend to take her to the urgent care center. Erin left to go take her, but while on her way, Devan called and said he was taking off work and would take Kate to the doctor. He did, and she has pinkeye so around 10:00 last night they were looking for a 24-hour pharmacy. There isn't one out in the boonies near their apartment but I found one in a town near them. Hopefully she got her prescription and is feeling better now, because she is supposed to work today.

Vickie, I hope you have a good visit with your Niece. That's so sweet to take her those things -- and I hope baby Sarah is doing better now. It's so scary with the little ones. Jim should be fine for a few hours without you, don't you think?

Melissa, I hope you feel better. Do you have family members who can help you out with packing? You should be resting at least a little but I'm sure you feel like you have so much to do.

Angela, enjoy the housewarming! I'm sure they will appreciate your gift of love and know how special the towels are. Add me to the list of houses that need to be cleaned. You can't imagine how bad it's getting here.

Okay, I'm off to see what sort of trouble I can get in. My scale was 145.8 this morning so I'm going to change my ticker to at least 146. It seems like Saturdays have become my official w/i days because that's when the Yahoo weight tracker prompts me to add a new weight.
Old 04-22-2006, 01:13 PM   #124  
focused and aiming

good morning. one grand is up; the other is still sleeping. it's pretty quiet here. we've decided to take them to taco bell on the way home today. i just looked over the menu and think i'll be all right. i know this sounds silly but every now and then i have to have a fast food fix. i confess i'm the one who suggested taco bell today.

vickie, i saw your menu for today. looks like you're back on track. i am very proud of you. (as always) going to your niece's will be good for both you and jim today. you both probably need a little alone time even though you're very, very close. it's just good for the soul. try not to worry.

angela, way to go, girl!!! you did great!! enjoy the open house today.

melissa, again we're alike. i get "backed up" easily, too. that is dangerous so be careful. right after my son was born, i was in such bad shape i was paralyzed on my right side and i had convulsions. be careful.

kathy, so much going on. i remember one time my ex traded my car in on a new one and i wasn't a happy camper. he and the salesman (best friend) parked both cars side by side and tried to convince me i'd like the new one better. (i never did) congratulations on your weight being down this am. you're working hard and it's paying off.

little grand is up. we're leaving in a few minutes for a fast food fix then taking them home. everyone have a good day. i promise you i'm not deepending. i've looked up pts and will stay within 24 today. and will eat mainly core the remainder of the day.
Old 04-22-2006, 03:54 PM   #125  
Melissa

Kathy, what is a yahoo weight tracker? Sorry to hear that Kate is sick. Hopefully she got some meds and is better now. I hope that you can enjoy your quiet evening. No, I guess I don't really have anyone to help with packing. I guess the truth is that I feel bad asking, since they will be doing so much moving. Plus everything is so chaotic, I hate to get anyone else involved.

Sandra, I think your plan sounds like a great one. I don't see any problem with some taco bell as long as you can do it in a planned and precise way! I think it sounds great. Hope you have fun today. That is so scary about your condition after having your son.

We have gotten quite a bit of packing done, and now we really need to do some studying. We have several papers between the two of us that need to be written at the same time we are moving. It's not good timing.
Old 04-22-2006, 03:54 PM   #126  
Melissa

Does anyone have a way that they make red beans and rice? I usually make black beans and rice, but I'm out of black beans. I wanted to eat some good fiber for dinner. I have plenty of kidney beans and was trying to think of how they would taste good together. I've never made them.
Old 04-22-2006, 05:55 PM   #127  

They should be good. I make red beans (pinto) on the stove with a package of Lipton Onion Soup Mix or the store brand equivalent, or salsa. I think the kidney beans would be fine made that way too. I don't think you can mess it up!

I use Yahoo for my email, and that's my home page. There's a module you can add to the page that's a diet tracker. You put in current weight, goal weight and date, and it keeps track of things for you.

I've had my contacts out most of the afternoon and just now decided to put them back in. I even tried a new pair but they don't feel much better. It must be power of suggestion because until Kate got pinkeye, I didn't have a problem with my own eyes! And I haven't seen her since last Sunday so I doubt I caught it from her.

Judd's about to leave, Erin is at work, and Shaun is Shaun. I'm sure it will be a quiet evening.
Old 04-22-2006, 06:16 PM   #128  
focused and aiming

kathy, i hope kate is feeling better. pink eye was going around up here, too. one of the guys at the archery shop had it right before we left for salt lake. i was surprised we didn't catch it.

melissa, i make beans like kathy. i think she's right and any bean would work. eat that fiber, girl!!

i am doing great on program today. i felt soooo good going to taco bell with a plan and sticking to it. curtis and i were talking today about something someone said. i'm going to paraphrase it here to fit me.

i used to weigh 228 because i chose to do so. nothing accidentally ever jumped into my mouth so i must have been choosing to eat and weigh 228. wish i could blame someone else but it was my choice.

off my soapbox now. i hope everyone's having a grand day. i'll be back later.
Old 04-22-2006, 07:17 PM   #129  
Melissa

Sandra that is very true! for staying op today.

Kathy, I hope that everything is okay with your eyes!!

I found a recipe by Rachel Ray and tried it, with some modifications, and they were really good! You saute chopped onions in olive oil until brown, then add kidney beans and simmer. Mix in with cooked brown rice. Then add hot sauce! She called for one whole onion, a can of beans, 1 tbsp hot sauce and only 1 cup rice. I made 2 cups of rice, only 1/4 of an onion, and didn't measure the hot sauce. Her recipe also called for cooked bacon, but I didn't do that, and white rice, but I made brown. It was really, really good. I will definitely be making it again. It would be good in place of spanish rice too. DH even really liked it.

Well I'm still feeling icky but doing better. We have gotten quite a bit done today but so far I haven't done any reading or writing for class. It's hard for me to do something before the last minute.
Old 04-22-2006, 07:22 PM   #130  
Southside White Sox Fan

Hey Chicks! I'm home from seeing Niece. I left at 11:00 and didn't get home until 6:00. Jim did fine but I feel I neglected him. I brought him home some liquid Motrin (per the Doctor) and a passion fruit sugar free slurpee. I should have bought myself one because it tasted good. It's made with crystal light. My Niece asked me to pick up my Sister and bring her with to the hospital, so I did. After the hospital my Sister asked if we could go out for a bite to eat. We never get to go out alone anymore. I called Jim to see if he was ok (of course he said yes!) and off we went. I didn't intend to be gone that long but we had a nice quiet time together.

Sarah is beautiful but oh so tiny! She dropped to 3 pounds 15 ounces but no one seems concerned. She was in the room with us all day today. I held her (even though I'm a coward when they are too small) and told her I was Aunt Vickie (the one on the phone with her mommy all the time!) It was fun. I took pictures but don't know how they turned out yet.

I'm off to hang out with Honey Lamb. I do hope you are all having a great day!

Melissa, I hope you're feeling better. I didn't have time to read posts now.
Old 04-22-2006, 07:24 PM   #131  
Melissa

Here's her recipe. This was so good. But like I said I didn't do bacon and I did brown instead of white rice. Core!

Tex Mex Red Beans and Rice
Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray
Ingredients
1 3/4 cups water
1 cup enriched white rice
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil or vegetable oil, 1 turn of the pan
2 slices bacon, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1 can red beans, drained
1 tablespoon cayenne sauce (recommended: Frank's Red Hot)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Instructions
Bring water to a boil in a small saucepan. Add rice, cover and simmer 20
minutes, stirring occasionally.

When rice is done, remove it from the stove top. To a medium skillet over medium high heat add oil and bacon and cook 3 minutes to crisp edges of bacon. Add onions and cook 3 minutes to soften. Add beans to heat through, then stir in cooked rice. Season rice and beans with cayenne sauce, salt and
pepper, to your taste. Serve rice and beans from the skillet.
Old 04-22-2006, 07:26 PM   #132  
Melissa

Vickie, I'm so glad that you had a good day. You needed it. Have fun with Jim tonight.
Old 04-22-2006, 07:32 PM   #133  

Melissa, that sounds good! I've never used canned beans this actually sounds like something that both Judd and I would eat. I think I'll write it out for him and see if he'll make it tomorrow. I hope your tummy doesn't take offense at the beans and hot sauce.

Vickie, I'm glad you had a great day. Jim probably enjoyed his day too! Not that he doesn't want you there every minute, but he knew how much you wanted to spend time at the hospital.

Sandra, you sound so positive! I love it!
Old 04-22-2006, 07:33 PM   #134  
focused and aiming

vickie, melissa's right. you needed a day out. i'm sure jim understands that, too. the slurpee sounds good. what store did you get it?

melissa, i just printed the recipe. thanks for sharing.

i'm off here now to watch tv with curtis. have a good evening, everyone.
Old 04-22-2006, 07:49 PM   #135  
Southside White Sox Fan

Here we are!

Last edited by Vickie; 11-11-2006 at 10:23 AM.
Closed Thread