Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 09-03-2023, 07:35 PM   #256  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Just to let you know I'm not at Burning Man in Nevada right now. Missed that bullet. Zillions of folks locked in by intense rains that turned all the desert into mud - mud so deep one can't just walk out.

Otherwise life is good starting September with a last burst of warm days.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2023, 12:42 PM   #257  

S/C/G: 184/132/125

Height: 5'5"

Bill, that Burning Man situation is crazy. Here's something I read in the New York Times by Peter Sinclair:
"70,000 people trapped in a desert by extreme rain, running out of food, with rumors of disease spreading, and porta-johns overflowing - but determined to keep the party going, is such a great metaphor for our civilization right now."
HowlinAtTheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2023, 05:20 AM   #258  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowlinAtTheMoon View Post
Bill, that Burning Man situation is crazy. Here's something I read in the New York Times by Peter Sinclair:
"70,000 people trapped in a desert by extreme rain, running out of food, with rumors of disease spreading, and porta-johns overflowing - but determined to keep the party going, is such a great metaphor for our civilization right now."
Yeah. I can't muster much sympathy for these folks.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 05:14 AM   #259  

Lost the 2 1/2 lbs. I gained over my vacation.

Dagmar :
Old 09-16-2023, 01:05 PM   #260  

Hooray, Dagmar!!

I finally got back under 130 thanks to a gastrointestinal bug I had for two weeks. I didn't get dehydrated, but I got cramps every time I ate something. My food intake was only about half of normal for a few days. Now I have to work at not gaining it back.

We said goodbye to one of our cats yesterday. Patrick had not been well for a couple of years. First it was histoplasmosis, and most recently toxoplasmosis. He told me it was time when he didn't want to eat any more. Fortunately just this year I met a home hospice and euthanasia vet. She came to our house and Patrick had a stress-free passing.
Old 09-17-2023, 05:20 AM   #261  

I'm sorry to hear about Patrick Alice. I hope his peaceful passing made the loss a bit easier for you.

And woohoo on getting down under 130 lbs. though I'm sure you would have preferred a different method of doing it.

Dagmar
Old 09-19-2023, 10:20 AM   #262  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hello, folks. I thought I'd check in with you before I go off to the store for a few items.
Sorry to hear about your cat, Alice. I'm glad you have a vet who would come to your house.
Bill, glad to hear you missed stupid Burning Man.
Dagmar, sounds like you are having quite a time. When I only read rarely, I see the pattern of you trying to avoid foods and DH bringing them into the house. I guess there's no way out of that. I hope you can add to your income! I agree that maintenance is hard. No one tells you just how hard it can get. And no one tells you that lower calories is something the body can adjust to. Sigh!
My weight remains steady but with up-and-down fluctuations that aren't correlated with how much or what I eat. I lost over 5 pounds when we moved in February, and most of that is back now. Such is life.
Meals are included where we live now, and they are good meals. I eat everything I want. The meal plan is breakfast (which we don't go to often) and then either lunch or dinner; if you want both you pay extra. We make our own lunch, and it's basically crackers with spreads plus some fruit and nuts.
We are enjoying our new living situation for the most part. It's very different from where we used to live. We do feel safer here when storms are coming. That was a major incentive.
I hope you're all doing well!
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 05:16 AM   #263  

Nice to hear from you JayEll and I'm glad that you are doing well in your new living situation.

Dagmar
Old 09-20-2023, 09:34 AM   #264  
Super Moderator

Alice and Dagmar - Congrats for losing those difficult last few pounds.

JayEll - So good to hear that you're adjusting to your new location. Doesn't seem like the hurricane threats are decreasing.

We missed any serious wind, rain, or flooding from the recent Hurricane Lee. Did cause flooding along some Massachusetts coastal areas. Today's Boston Globe had an article about Apple Cider donuts. Made me drool. My little brain doesn't crave one - it craves a bag of them. Have to avoid apple orchards till this passes over.
Old 09-20-2023, 03:45 PM   #265  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Oh Bill, I also love apple cider donuts! We used to buy them at Atkins Farms in Western Mass.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2023, 05:13 AM   #266  

Whew! We have a listing date set for our house - April next year - and I had no idea there would be so much stuff to do with staging, financing, etc. I have kept away from the junk food and binge eating for the most part but I am downing way too much caffeine and not sleeping. Hangry a lot of the time.

DH seems to have developed "oppositional disorder" re the move too. He's been complaining about Toronto for many years and moving away and going back up north "where he belongs" Now that I've said yes to it he doesn't want to go! I think he's just afraid - same as me - of this huge project and huge change in our lives.

Dagmar
Old 09-29-2023, 06:27 AM   #267  
Super Moderator

Dagmar, Good luck getting all parties on board for the move up North. That's a big step, alright. I hope you have the de-cluttering gene required to reduce your 'stuff' as needed to make the move.
Old 09-29-2023, 01:41 PM   #268  

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBlueEyes View Post
Dagmar, Good luck getting all parties on board for the move up North. That's a big step, alright. I hope you have the de-cluttering gene required to reduce your 'stuff' as needed to make the move.
My stuff is not the problem Bill.

Dagmar
Old 10-01-2023, 06:16 PM   #269  

Happy October, gang! Happy Fall to all! So far I've avoided pumpkin spice anything.

JayEll, good to hear from you. I'm glad your new home makes you feel safer. Feeling safe is a biggie for me, too. I definitely wasn't feeling safe last spring as Tulare Lake came closer and closer, but all ended well. We may have another giant snowpack this winter, but at least most of the faulty levees have been repaired and just MAYBE government will be more prepared.

Big change is always scary, Dagmar, so I kind of know what your DH is feeling. The time will come when we will need to move also, but I don't even want to start seriously thinking about it yet. We've lived out here in the boonies for 33 years, and I don't want to live close to more people.

Here's a good quote I read the other day:
"When you are dead, you don't know you are dead. It's pain only for others.
It's the same thing when you are stupid."
Old 10-02-2023, 05:38 AM   #270  

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowlinAtTheMoon View Post
Here's a good quote I read the other day:
"When you are dead, you don't know you are dead. It's pain only for others.
It's the same thing when you are stupid."
I like that one Alice. Happy October to you too!

I also am not a big fan of the "pumpkin spice" stuff but will probably get an coffee drink with that flavour at some point.

I am tackling all my messy bulging stuff piled in closets and outdoor sheds. Haven't had the energy during or after the pandemic to sort and organize. I did the linen closet and one outdoor shed yesterday and I feel a lot calmer. I don't like chaos and clutter.

Dagmar (peaceful and tidy LOL)