Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 05-18-2023, 05:38 AM   #226  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

So hard to lose weight when you are older. I did this is 2007 and wasn't really hungry most of the time. Now I'm eating the same number of restricted calories and the weight is not coming off. I realize it's going to be a lot longer and in smaller increments but it's daunting to see the scale not change at all. I'm determined though. Now I have this little "blubber roll" in my lap when I sit down. YUCK! That has to go!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 08:25 AM   #227  

I thought we could keep a box of cookies in the house and eat them each weekend with our tea. Apparently not. I glommed down a whole row last night after an "emotional incident" with DH. Into the compost they went.

Dagmar
Old 05-30-2023, 10:37 AM   #228  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

I recognize the box of cookies problem. This previous weekend we took a six hour drive each way to visit relatives. In the past, I'd take a fresh one-pound bag of Oreos to nosh along the way. No longer a reasonable choice for me. I took a bag of miniature carrots. Not zero calories, but close enough given the alternatives. (Merriam-Webster told me that 'Oreos' is the proper plural of 'Oreo'.)

I agree that losing weight gets harder each year with aging.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 01:37 PM   #229  

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBlueEyes View Post
I recognize the box of cookies problem. This previous weekend we took a six hour drive each way to visit relatives. In the past, I'd take a fresh one-pound bag of Oreos to nosh along the way. No longer a reasonable choice for me. I took a bag of miniature carrots. Not zero calories, but close enough given the alternatives. (Merriam-Webster told me that 'Oreos' is the proper plural of 'Oreo'.)

I agree that losing weight gets harder each year with aging.
Woohoo on the carrots instead of Oreos Bill!

Dagmar
Old 06-01-2023, 11:14 PM   #230  

S/C/G: 184/132/125

Height: 5'5"

Happy June!!

It's hard to drive a long way without munching. Carrots are a great choice!

My victory of the day was NOT buying dark chocolate-covered almonds at the store. Another snack which I tell myself I will consume a few at a time, yet somehow they are gone in 3 days. I've done that recently with almond biscotti and cheez-its, too. But I'm still losing at a glacial pace. Our long stretch of fairly cool weather has me outdoors working in the garden more than normal. 131 yesterday. I long to see 12x on the scale.
HowlinAtTheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 05:53 AM   #231  

DH, not being aware of the cookies that went into the compost, brought home 2 additional boxes of cookies last night after I asked him to bring 2 individual pastries for Saturday's tea. Communications gone wrong I guess. I'm away on a dog sit for 2 weeks starting Sunday so I'm hoping I can stay away from the cookies until then. I had a strong impulse to rip them open last night while I did the dishes but I resisted.

Dagmar
Old 06-09-2023, 07:52 AM   #232  

Had some very sad news yesterday. One of my clients was killed in a terrible accident last Monday. He has family here so his little dog will receive continuous care and has a home with people he knows. I will not be seeing him again though.

I feel so sad for all involved and will miss both Roger (client) and Henry (doggie).

Dagmar
Old 06-09-2023, 08:19 AM   #233  
Super Moderator

Sad news, Dagmar, I wish you well dealing with both loses.
Old 06-09-2023, 05:18 PM   #234  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudpie View Post
Had some very sad news yesterday. One of my clients was killed in a terrible accident last Monday. He has family here so his little dog will receive continuous care and has a home with people he knows. I will not be seeing him again though.

I feel so sad for all involved and will miss both Roger (client) and Henry (doggie).

Dagmar
I was distracted and forgot the second part of this. I did NOT dive into the food (or, as in the past, alcohol). So maybe I have learned something over the years. I did have a good cry instead.

D.
Old 06-14-2023, 07:11 PM   #235  

Dagmar, my deepest condolences. That's a blow.

But I admire ;you for not consoling yourself with food/alcohol. It takes a long time to learn these things AND do them.
Old 06-19-2023, 05:14 AM   #236  

Back at home after 15 days pet sitting. I did yoga/stretching this morning and my body is yelling "wheeee!!!" I missed my home and my routines. So glad to get back to them. Weights tomorrow!

Dagmar
Old 06-19-2023, 01:58 PM   #237  

Fifteen days is a long pet sit! I know it must feel great to be home.

Yesterday a dog showed up here, very obviously someone's lost pet and not a discard like so many of them. Really strange in this area. It was a Golden Chow, one of those designer dogs that make me say "WHY???" It was really hot and scratching at the front door, so we gave it water in a dog crate in the house while I decided what to do. An hour later I saw a pickup on the main road drive by slowly. I had to run him down in my vehicle, but I was right, it was a guy looking for the dog. Turned out to be the new owner of the 10 acres next to us. He was keeping his son's dog for a while, and the son was due to arrive that day. He was very relieved to get the dog back! I told him the dog is a very good jumper, so he needs a better way to confine him. At least I know who to call if the dog shows up here again.

My wacky cousin is coming for a visit this week. Instead of sitting at home, I signed us up for an "Earth Philosophy" class in the mountains. It will still be stressful camping with her, but there will be other people to interact with,. so my hope is that I'll be able to relax a little :-)
Old 06-19-2023, 03:37 PM   #238  
Super Moderator

Alice, that's a great dog rescue story. Don't read many with such swift, happy endings. Smart plans for the week with a person.

Dagmar, Congrats for surviving such a long house sit. A challenge to live that long without the personal reassurances of home.

I'm recovering from our brief, weekly visit with the (3 yo) DFGD; she's total energy. Had the fun of using sidewalk chalk to decorate the public sidewalk in front of our house. The neighbors get to see her art - want to or not, LOL. Trying to avoid the temptations to use food to resolve tensions about projects. Food doesn't complete projects.
Old 06-20-2023, 05:44 AM   #239  

Glad the chow and owner were reunited so quickly, and you got to meet your new neighbour Alice. Good idea re keeping your visitor engaged.

And you're right Bill. Food doesn't complete projects.

I am going to be sending out the word that I'm looking for a new client. Yesterday I heard from the son of my client who died. He and his partner are keeping little Henry and there are 2 other dogs in the household so Henry will be very busy and happy there. I'm glad. But it means there's no chance he'll be coming back into my care. So I'll search for a new dog for my "small dogs" group.

Dagmar
Old 07-08-2023, 05:17 AM   #240  

I had the first part of dental implant surgery yesterday. It went very well. I can't exercise or eat any hard crunchy foods for 72 hours. It's been less than 24 hours and I'm already antsy and want to do some stretching or take the dog for a walk or something.

Not eating solids yesterday afternoon and evening was easy. I think my body was in kind of a "shock" thing after the surgery so didn't really have an appetite. I did miss something warm for dinner - had yogurt and almond milk and a small piece of cheese.

While I was having the procedure a woman was shot about a block away from the dentist's office. This was in the middle of a very busy foot traffic Friday in an upcoming very well-to-do neighbourhood so people were aghast. The dental office was very leery of letting me leave as the suspects - 3 of them - were still at large on foot.

I told them I'd be OK walking to my car and I was.

The poor woman was apparently a bystander and she later died of her injuries. Police suspect a gang type altercation.

Wow! This is not a normal occurrence in this area of Toronto. The people who live there must all be kind of shocked. I know I am. I used to work down there years ago when it was a working class neighbourhood with several social services outlets and quite a lot of street people there. I was never afraid of anyone in the 'hood. or to walk around in it.

It brought home to me how much Toronto has changed. I knew it on an intellectual level but this hit in an emotional way.

Dagmar