Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 07-08-2023, 09:06 AM   #241  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

That's a frightening story, Dagmar, especially to happen so close. All our cities seem to be having the same problems.

Congrats for moving ahead with the teeth. I've had an implanted tooth. The threats of difficulty were far worse than the actual event. Was a string of visits to be sure.

Have you made progress looking for a new dog for your walking pack?
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2023, 05:19 AM   #242  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

I'm hearing stories from quite a few people who have had implants and are very satisfied with them Bill. Glad your experience was positive.

I haven't had any success in replacing little Henry. I put the info out there that I'm looking and am hoping one of the other walkers or one of my clients gives me a referral. I have used advertising in the past but had little success with it. I did renew my domain name and website for another year so that may yield something too. I'll just keep putting it out there.

Thanks for asking Bill!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2023, 06:15 PM   #243  

S/C/G: 184/132/125

Height: 5'5"

Dagmar, the experience with the nearby shooting sounds terrifying! I won't be moving to a populated area any time soon. Even so, we have Mexican gang shootings only 15 miles from us in a town of less than 9000 people. That town is on the freeway, so it gets a lot more traffic than our tiny town of 1000, but it's really too close for comfort.

I was in an online group of animal trainers this morning discussing, among other topics, marketing strategies for their small training businesses. No one had a great answer. Posting on ALL the social media, putting out videos, etc, seemed to be the favored approach. I'm glad I'm retired, because all that computer time doesn't appeal to me at all!! Good luck finding new clients.

Bill, are you getting much smoke from the big fires up north?
HowlinAtTheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 05:43 AM   #244  

Thank you for the input Alice. I have gotten a couple of "cat" clients through Facebook but no dogs through social media or online contact. Referrals tend to send dogs my way. I don't really hang out with any of the other dog walkers (though I have tried to be friendly) so it's rarely I get a lead from them. And I only take one walk to the off leash - the other walks all have reactive dogs on them who can't go off leash - during "prime time" when the opportunity to schmooze is best.

Our smoke has pretty much gone. How is it in your area Bill? Is it from the Quebec fires?

Dagmar
Old 07-26-2023, 05:39 AM   #245  

I'm proud of myself this morning. Despite my brain repeatedly telling me I don't really need a weights workout - I've been pet sitting so haven't done one for 10 days - I did one anyway. And I had a hyper-excited dog to control while doing it. There was a raccoon in our yard quite near the deck and Hols was going crazy. I used several of her training commands and managed her.

Whew! No second coffee needed this morning.

Dagmar
Old 08-09-2023, 05:35 AM   #246  

I weighed in for August. 141 lbs. I seem to be stuck around this weight. It's just enough over my former set point of 136 lbs. that all my clothes are tight. I have to start being hungry for awhile.

I realize that age and other factors are making it much more difficult to lose any weight but I have to buckle down and do it. I can't afford to replace my clothes and going naked is not an option.

Portion control, counting calories, once a week weigh in, and eating a small pre-determined snack at night are going to come into play again.

This maintenance thing is hard and it never stops.

Dagmar :
Old 08-09-2023, 05:54 AM   #247  
Super Moderator

Just woke up to read this:

"This maintenance thing is hard and it never stops."

Gonna think about that. Perhaps I've slipped into the frame of mind that it should be easy.

Thanks, Dagmar.
Old 08-10-2023, 07:53 AM   #248  

Stayed within a 600 cal limit for dinner last night. Woke up at 2 a.m. very hungry, despite a snack of grapes and yogurt about an hour after dinner. I'll try leaving the snack 'til just before I go upstairs for the night tonite. I didn't mind the experimenting part of weight loss, just the drudgery of daily weighing and counting. Has to be done though so I'll do it!

Dagmar
Old 08-10-2023, 10:09 AM   #249  

very interesting chat, i will follow
MichealSklar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 07:59 AM   #250  

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichealSklar View Post
very interesting chat, i will follow
Welcome!

Dagmar
Old 08-14-2023, 01:02 PM   #251  

Dagmar, I sympathize with the waking up hungry. And going to bed hungry is bad too. Many evenings I eat my allotment too soon. Then I'm hungry at bedtime and eat more.

The summer heat is not my friend because it's too hot to work or walk outside except for too early and after dark. I haven't been hiking much because all the roads to my normal day hiking areas were washed out in the spring floods and still are not repaired. I did manage a two-night backpack a few weeks ago, but I don't have time to do those every week.

Did I mention we put in a pickleball court? Unfortunately it's too hot for pickleball.
I'm trying to use the weather as a motivation to stay inside and get my house organized.

But I shouldn't complain. My life is okay!
Old 08-16-2023, 05:16 AM   #252  

Glad your life is going OK Alice and i hope you get to resume your outdoor activities soon. I've watched people playing pickleball down at the waterfront - looks like fun!

Dagmar
Old 08-21-2023, 07:47 AM   #253  

First weekday of a 15 day vacation. Going to the aquarium. I was going to buy myself a Japanese cheesecake from Mr. Tetsu afterwards as a treat but then I thought not. We are going to be away for 3 days and eating at restaurants so why blow a bunch of calories now? My vacations are not really about eating.

Dagmar
Old 08-21-2023, 08:08 AM   #254  
Super Moderator

Happy vacation, Dagmar - may it be with pleasant air quality. And thoroughly enjoyable on-plan eating.

In the Boston area, we're having biblically intense deluges of rain. Called "Possible thundershowers" by the optimistic weather forecasters.

Alice, I hope you get your roads back to do some hiking.
Old 09-03-2023, 06:08 PM   #255  

Happy September everyone! We are enjoying some bizarre cool weather this weekend. It's a real delight - I'm very tired of heat.

I caught some sort of stomach bug at a group camping meal last weekend. It's not bad enough to keep me down, just have to stay close to home . Slight fever, cramps, etc My appetite is very low and I finally got below 130 for the first time in quite a while. I hope it lasts when I'm better!