Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Closed Thread

Old 11-25-2020, 03:17 PM   #316  

S/C/G: 184/132/125

Height: 5'5"

JayEll, I too have to be careful about what exercises I do and how often. It doesn't take much to be too much! And younger people, even health pro's, don't get it. I have to remind my personal trainer all the time that too much weight will be harmful in the long run. He asks "How does that feel?" And I always answer "It feels okay now, but tomorrow and the next day it will make me feel worse." I'm glad you are not letting yourself be pressured into certain exercises.

Dagmar, it's a constant battle, isn't it. I got down to my goal, now I'm 3 pounds up. But at least we're in the right range and not letting ourselves gain 10 or 20 (or more) pounds.

Happy Whatever to anyone celebrating anything We are staying home for American Thanksgiving, and having chicken since DH wanted a turkey leg and I didn't find one.
Old 11-26-2020, 05:01 AM   #317  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Happy Thanksgiving to you in the US. I hope you are able to have some sort of safe celebration.

Dagmar
Old 11-26-2020, 08:56 AM   #318  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Happy Thanksgiving in the USA! Dagmar, I hope you have a good day up there!

Alice, that's exactly it. And it's not the usual muscle soreness--it seems like inflammation. Since I stopped the exercises (except for a couple that don't seem to cause a problem) my neck is much better. My doc suggested an orthopedist, with the idea of injections of some sort. No thanks. I said I would rather see a rheumatologist. Same idea, but with a broader view and experience. So I have a recommendation. I may go, in a couple of months.

I'm planning another try at weight loss, since my weight has crept up a few pounds. Naturally I would do this starting Thanksgiving! But, it's not a diet per se. I dropped off my intermittent fasting and it's time to get back on, and I want to increase my activity. Also I am trying a new supplement. It might prove to be just another gimmick, who knows? I'll find out.

Old 11-27-2020, 06:14 AM   #319  

I hope you all had a good Thanksgiving.

I have a sad day today. Dakota is being euthanized. She's had lymphoma for almost a year now and has really been suffering the last week or so. My client's vet put her on a new very powerful chemo drug and it made her feel awful. It also took a huge toll on her already fragile health and I think she's gone into liver failure. She's in constant pain, despite meds, and yesterday she could not get to her feet when I came to the house.

I asked my client to end it for her and she agreed. I sent her the in-home euthanasia vet's info and they are able to come today and end Dakota's suffering. I'll give her a last hug and kiss goodbye when I go to pick up the other dog in the household.

Dagmar .
Old 11-27-2020, 08:32 AM   #320  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

I'm so sorry, Dagmar. And I'm unhappy that it came to that. They could have just skipped all the agony the dog has experienced. But soon it will be over.

Old 11-27-2020, 09:15 AM   #321  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
I'm so sorry, Dagmar. And I'm unhappy that it came to that. They could have just skipped all the agony the dog has experienced. But soon it will be over.
She was really good during the first round of chemo but yeah, my client should have let her go when the cancer recurred. The last 2 weeks have been really hard, and this week has been terrible so I'm very glad she will be at peace after today.

Dagmar
Old 11-27-2020, 01:13 PM   #322  

That's very sad, Dagmar. I'm sorry. We had a cat on chemo 6 years ago. It didn't work and I think it made his bones frail. He broke his leg one day jumping down 12 inches, and we had him euthanized. The vets seem to think that animals tolerate chemo well, but do they really? I had chemo in 1996 and guess you could say I tolerated it well because I was still eating and moving, but I certainly didn't feel normal!

To happier days ahead!
Old 11-27-2020, 04:20 PM   #323  

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowlinAtTheMoon View Post
That's very sad, Dagmar. I'm sorry. We had a cat on chemo 6 years ago. It didn't work and I think it made his bones frail. He broke his leg one day jumping down 12 inches, and we had him euthanized. The vets seem to think that animals tolerate chemo well, but do they really? I had chemo in 1996 and guess you could say I tolerated it well because I was still eating and moving, but I certainly didn't feel normal!

To happier days ahead!
The vet told my client there were "no side effects" from the chemo and that "the dog isn't in pain". The poor dog was sometimes so nauseated she could barely stand up, suffered frequent bouts of diarrhea, and her lymph glands were sometimes so swollen you could physically see them on her sides. I'm not the "expert" so I just carried on and did what I could for her. I was furious when my client told me she was putting her back on the chemo. The new very toxic chemo very evidently had effect on the poor girl. I think it may have contributed to her quick decline in the last 2 weeks, which started just after the first bout of this chemo. Might have been a blessing in disguise, though she had to endure two very awful weeks to finally get release. BAH!

Dagmar
Old 12-06-2020, 05:10 AM   #324  

One of my neighbours was taken to hospital this morning. Life long smoker who now has cancer and suddenly couldn't breathe. He fought against going to the hospital - who wouldn't with COVID going on - but emergency services finally were called. His partner is also a life long smoker.

A habit I'm very glad I gave up over 40 years ago.

Dagmar
Old 12-07-2020, 09:38 AM   #325  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Sorry to hear about your neighbor, Dagmar. I guess they don't know whether he has COVID or not. It could be the cancer? I gave up smoking years ago, too, and I hope I gave up soon enough.
Old 12-07-2020, 01:46 PM   #326  

Sorry to hear about your neighbor, Dagmar. I was only a childhood second-hand smoker via my mother who smoked her whole life and died of lung cancer. One of the guys in the local hiking group has COVID and is currently in hospital on a ventilator. I haven't hiked with this guy in several years because he is very obnoxious. I could tell from this year's photos that his hiking groups were too large and they certainly were not distanced in the group photos. One of my good friends had hiked with him five days before he was diagnosed. She had to quarantine for two weeks, over the Thanksgiving school break. (She's a teacher).

Yes, I'm sick of this whole thing, but I'm even more sick of people who think they don't have to follow the rules. And that includes some of my relatives.
Old 12-10-2020, 06:06 AM   #327  

I'm having some sort of really delayed reaction to the pandemic/holiday season - I guess? I'm eating a whole lot more than I should be and packing on the weight. I managed to keep my weight down for 8 months and now i guess I've run out of resolve.

Dagmar
Old 12-11-2020, 08:16 AM   #328  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

My new experiment with a weight loss supplement has done nothing at all, 3 weeks in. I'll give it another few weeks, but I don't hold out much hope.

Fortunately there is a guarantee.
Old 12-12-2020, 11:06 AM   #329  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
My new experiment with a weight loss supplement has done nothing at all, 3 weeks in. I'll give it another few weeks, but I don't hold out much hope.

Fortunately there is a guarantee.
Glad you will be able to get reimbursed but bummer that it didn't work!

Dagmar
Old 12-12-2020, 12:55 PM   #330  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Yeah, I gave it up today and asked for the refund. Just another experience in why one should not believe advertising.
Closed Thread