2020 Foresight: Maintainers Chat for 2020 - Page 14 - 3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 06-18-2020, 06:20 PM   #196  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
Oh, I still wear a mask in stores. And I wore a mask into the restaurant and took it off only when we were seated. Wore it out again, too.

I think hand washing is more important.
I read something from either the CDC or WHO that said that of the 10 most important preventative measures for COVID19 the first 6 were physical distancing, the next 2 were hand washing, and then the masks came into the picture. I do wear the mask now into any situation where physical distancing may be a problem. I have no problem at work - one of the many perks of working outside with dogs - and I think I'm going to wear an N95 or equivalent mask when I attend any performance (I did buy tickets to stuff starting in November of this year). I have no idea how I'll eat and drink (like at a movie) but I'm sure better minds than mine will offer solutions for that.

Part of me resents all of this and part is excited to be entering a new way of life - kinda like going to Mars or something?
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 08:45 AM   #197  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I'd be excited about the new way of life if it were something I had chosen...

Not much to report about maintenance these days! I hope we're all maintaining and keeping up good nutrition. I find exercise is increasingly hard. I was going for walks, but it's too hot now to do that.

I try to walk around the grocery store more when I go, but that's only about every 5 days. Just about everything is back on the shelves now, so that's good.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 01:02 PM   #198  

S/C/G: 184/128/125

Height: 5'5"

I am still exercising in my living room twice a week, hiking once a week, and working outside on gardening as the temperature permits. I feel for you JayEll, with the hot FL weather making it so unpleasant to walk. I have to drive 2 hours to get up in the mountains, but it's worth it for the coolness.

Two hikes ago I tripped on a concealed root and did a faceplant. Horrible bruising on the right side of my face and a tender cheekbone, but no serious injuries. My sternum also must have hit pretty hard, because it is painful to do pushups, or have hiccups! Last week's hike was uneventful until the drive home. I swerved to avoid a large metal object in the road and got the passenger tires into a ditch. Something hit the undercarriage of the truck and although I ended up back on the road with virtually no visible damage, the airbags deployed! As I was still up in the mountains, I didn't have cell service, but I was able to drive down far enough to call DH. We decided that I should drive the 30 remaining miles home rather than wait in 104 degree heat for a tow truck, Now I'm driving a rental and waiting for the insurance company to decide if my truck will be repaired. Other than all that, life is great!
HowlinAtTheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 02:53 PM   #199  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Howlin', these spontaneous adventures have got to stop! I'm glad you're relatively OK.
Old 06-26-2020, 05:26 PM   #200  

OWWW!! Alice! Glad you are relatively OK - could have gone much differently. Hope the truck is repairable too. Maybe you should get one of those portable GPS units that plugs into the dash, since you don't have cell service. Then your DH would know where to send help should something really serious happen.

I am cooking up a storm of healthy middle eastern and/or Italian dishes. Subscribed to a blog and I really like the recipes. Fast cooking, lots of fresh veggies, interesting grains - bulgur, couscous, barley - and one of my shopping stops now is a grocery that's owned by Lebanese people who first settled in Quebec. I find all sorts of wonderful things there and their spices are really fresh and quite modestly priced in comparison to my regular grocery. So now my spice shelf holds cardamom, coriander, cumin, sumac, etc.

Always good to try something new!

Dagmar
Old 07-01-2020, 03:32 PM   #201  

We have an odd stat holiday this year. It's today and I took it as all my clients took today. Hubby's bosses decided they would rather have a long weekend so they are taking it Friday. I've had a nice quiet day alternating household stuff with reading, walking Trixie, and listening to music. Also got another unit of my Estonian lessons finished.

I was going to make an ice cream cake for dessert. DH's friend is coming over for band camp and DH didn't want to be too full of food to play the drums. I also couldn't find cornstarch to make the blueberry sauce that goes into the cake. So it will wait for the weekend. We still pretty much have nowhere to go so activities at home are still happening.

I am going to miss seeing the fireworks tonite. We usually walk to a big local park and hang out with all sorts of people in the neighbourhood. There is normally a carnival during the day and we get fries with salt and vinegar as a "dessert" treat. Hoping the show is back next year.

Dagmar
Old 07-03-2020, 06:55 PM   #202  

Belated Happy Canada Day!

Happy Birthday USA, and get well soon.
Old 07-06-2020, 08:46 AM   #203  

Gotta do a bit of reigning in on the portions. I haven't weighed myself but my clothes have that "tight" feeling. I've been using the pandemic and the heat wave as excuses to overeat.

On the positive side of things I got out on the paddleboard yesterday morning and it was beautiful! Going to review the basics before next weekend as I intend to go out every weekend until the end of August (weather permitting) and yesterday most of my paddling was fishtailing. I figured it out in the last 15 minutes.

Dagmar
Old 07-06-2020, 08:51 AM   #204  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Our county has about 8,500 confirmed covid-19 cases and 198 deaths. Across the bay, the other county has 14,000 cases but 150 deaths.

The counties hardest hit are still on the east coast of the peninsula--Miami-Dade, Broward, Palm Beach counties. And then areas like Orlando and Jacksonville.

I don't personally know anyone who has been sick.

Dagmar, your mention of fries with salt and vinegar has got me thinking about 5 Guys (do you have that chain in Canada?). Fortunately they do takeout! Hmmm.
Old 07-07-2020, 06:03 AM   #205  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
Our county has about 8,500 confirmed covid-19 cases and 198 deaths. Across the bay, the other county has 14,000 cases but 150 deaths.

The counties hardest hit are still on the east coast of the peninsula--Miami-Dade, Broward, Palm Beach counties. And then areas like Orlando and Jacksonville.

I don't personally know anyone who has been sick.

Dagmar, your mention of fries with salt and vinegar has got me thinking about 5 Guys (do you have that chain in Canada?). Fortunately they do takeout! Hmmm.
We do have 5 Guys here. DH and I got burgers and fries there once on the way home from something. They gave us a bag of peanuts in the shell to snack on while we waited for our order. Kinda cool that. And the fries were good!

Dagmar
Old 07-10-2020, 09:15 AM   #206  

Back to fruit and yogurt for the evening dessert/snack and I have to recheck my portions of things. 4 lbs. have crept on in as many weeks. I'm preoccupied with a lot of economic stuff and DH's COVID melt down (which I sense is coming soon) and I've let all of that get in the way of my maintenance habits.

Dagmar
Old 07-10-2020, 03:48 PM   #207  

I don't think 5 Guys is out here. My county and the neighboring county are still adding 100-200 new cases per day with no sign of slowing.

Next weekend I hope to do my first backpacking trip. Just one night to start with, but it's got me feeling a little excited Other than that, I've got the COVID blahs and wish people around here weren't so dumb.
Old Yesterday, 05:13 AM   #208  

I know COVID is out there killing people or making them very ill. But it is all starting to seem a little surreal to me. Having no direct knowledge of anyone who's had it could be part of that. I'm continuing with the protocols but it's getting difficult. I think I have been conditioned into expecting "things" to be over in short time frames. Can't quite wrap my head around the possibility that this virus may become endemic and we'll have to take some of these precautions for the rest of our lives.

And I'm bored silly and want to go somewhere other than the grocery store. I booked tickets at the AGO (Art Gallery of Ontario) for DH and myself for the August long weekend so will soldier on until then. Chickened out and we are driving downtown, rather than taking the subway. Less that we're going to get sick but more that it'll take hours to navigate transit. I pass the line of people waiting to go into the subway several times a day. I am so glad I am still able to afford a car.

Dagmar