Old 05-16-2006, 11:46 AM   #946  
Katie

Height: 5'1

I am on contract with the Feds to feed the kids a certain diet and I get reimbursed for it, so I do not ask parents to bring any food, I even provide formula. I would expect her to bring food in a situation like this though. Or at least give me a heads up so that I could be prepared. She is just so lazy.
Repo girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 11:48 AM   #947  
on LAWL

Height: 5'6

JM--love the new photo--girl you are getting skinny! Personally--I think you deserve more. I think if he isn't giving you what you need at this "let me impress her stage" than he may never. Of course--my opinion, but I NEED conversation. You have too much to offer to waste your time and energy on something you feel may go nowhere. This is supposed to be the fun, exploration, easy part of the relationship--you sound like you are already pulling your weight and his. If you are just having fun, then so be it, but if you are looking for a relationship then either explain your needs or consider moving on. Of course, you are the only one who can decide. Don't hang on to this for fear of no one else coming along and fear of not being physically attractive to someone because I truly feel there is someone out there worthy of you--no matter your weight or size or appearance--we are all so much more than that. Just my opinion--aren't you glad you asked!!

Lori--I'm like you--I still enjoy the food when I splurge--not the guilt so much but definitely the food. Maybe it will shake up your weightloss. WTG on the new "real" clothes--you crack me up! I just got one of those crochet halter tops today from Walmart--DH will die--I feel naked in it--maybe for Myrtle Beach where no one knows me!

Katie--just ANOTHER reason I couldn't do what you do!! You better lay it on the line with her or she will just continue to take advantage of you. I can't imagine her already sending him back when it hasn't even been a week. Our ENT had me keep my 6 year old home almost a week just for adenoids and tubes but said 2 weeks on tonsils--especially at that age.
Boo'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 11:49 AM   #948  
Let's try this again . .

Height: 5'2"

Interesting . . .so what kind of diet does the govt require? I know you have healthy food in the house, but I'm curious whether it's more nutritious than the kind of crap I was fed at our elementary school's cafeteria. Are there guidelines for fruit, veggies and limited juices? Water?
juliemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 11:50 AM   #949  
Katie

I have never had my tonsils out, so I don't know, but how long are you on soft foods? DH thinks he should be on solids by now, I'm not so sure.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:56 AM   #950  
on LAWL

Katie--I just happen to have Mik's doctor's list. Students--no PE, recess, or athletics for 3 weeks--so I would assume anything too strenuous--may bring on bleeding. Diet: Soft foods after 2-3 days--at patient's own pace. Hot foods, spicy, hard, sharp foods (crackers, dry cereal, chips, dry toast, popcorn) should be avoided for 3 weeks to allow proper healing. Fluids: a lot and often.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:59 AM   #951  
on LAWL

Okay--I finally figured out why some of my fitday logs are so low--it's the days I have the LA shake and LA Lattes instead of the bars--that knocks off 100 calories each compared to the bar. I entered my entire day and got only 982 because of the shake and the latte. What should I add to increase my calories some but not too damaging on carbs and fat??

another fitday question? where do you enter sugars on the customize foods section??
Old 05-16-2006, 12:01 PM   #952  
Let's try this again . .

Boo-I know, I've always thought it weird that the "LA lites" are so different in calories between the bars, shakes, soups . . . .it doesn't make any sense. The soup is 70 calories and a bar is 180 . .WTF?
Old 05-16-2006, 12:05 PM   #953  
Katie

JM- It is an old program, written in the 70's, and I think it could use some updates, but this is what is required: B- Milk, 1 fruit, 1 enriched starch S- 2 food components off of the food pyramid, I do things like peanut butter and apples, oranges and toast, watermelon and cheese crackers, etc. L-1 protein (cannot be cheese or peanut butter, and processed meats like hot dogs and lunchmeat can only be served once a week), 1 enriched starch, 1 fruit, 1 veggie (yes, potatoes are a veggie in this world), and milk. You can serve cookies once a week as a starch, and you can serve peant butter or cheese a protein at snack time. I have to keep extensive paperwork for this program, but my check is around $700.00 a month, so it is very worth it. I wish they called for more protein, took a better look at the starch vs. veggies list, and that you could use other dairy besides milk. They drop in and check out my facility unannounced 4 times a year. As long as your paperwork is current and you are following proper safety and sanitation procedures, you are fine, but I know some people who were not doing what was asked, and they got kicked off of the program. It is the same program that school lunches are on, but we have stricter guidlines than they do, and we get paid less.
Old 05-16-2006, 12:07 PM   #954  
Katie

Thanks Boo- He is running in the back yard as we speak. I guess he better come in a lay down with a movie. It is a good thing that she gets laid off for the summer in 3 weeks, because I have had it with this crap.
Old 05-16-2006, 12:16 PM   #955  
Let's try this again . .

Katie-sounds confusing, but then so did LAWL at first. I'm sure it's 2nd nature now . . . But the kids are lucky they have you to feed them. At home it could be mickey D's and chicken nuggets all the time . . . .I don't understand the nuggets-my nephews pretty much refuse all food but chicken nuggets, hot dogs, chips and sweets . . .they don't have a weight problem by any means (they hardly ever eat) but I think they both look too skinny and malnourished. I think my SIL has given up and justs caters to them now so they will eat something. She's got it rough though-3 kids, close in age and the youngest has Down syndrome . . they are all in some type of school-the one for my neice (an intervention program) is across town and only for 1/2 days. One of my nephews has 1/2 days too-so you can imagine the logistics of getting them to and from school on time . . .
Old 05-16-2006, 12:22 PM   #956  
Katie

Oh, man, what a hassle. I don't let kids be picky at my house. I do not force or bribe them to eat, but what I serve is all there is until the next meal or snack. If you do not like it fine, but I will not make something else. Parents are always shocked that their kids eat fruits and veggies here, because most of them refuse to eat them at home. A lot of it is peer presure too. New kids start, they complain, they refuse to eat a lot of stuff, but within a couple of days of watching other kids eat it, they start eating it too. I also have a rule that kids cannot say they don't like something at the table. If they do not like it, they just do not eat it. I don't check plates or ask questions. If one of the older kids announces "I hate green beans!" then suddenly kids who have eaten green beans twice a week their whole lives decide that they hate them too.
Old 05-16-2006, 12:28 PM   #957  
on LAWL

Katie--I can't believe the mom didn't leave any kind of instructions! Maybe hers were different but I was quite the mother hen when Mik had her surgery in January. And the tonsil surgery is much worse than what Mik had--ugh--moms. There is no telling what she has been allowing while she was home.

JM--I was surprised too--today is the first time I have really paid attention. On days I have the Latte (60 cals) and the shake (80) I am short 220 calories! I like the shakes when mixed with fruit but this will be my last box of Latte--unless I blend them with ice, too--the powder does NOT dissolve well so you get little slimy pieces--ICK. Are the soups good? I miss soup. Do they also replace the bar?
Old 05-16-2006, 12:31 PM   #958  
on LAWL

Katie--you are truly instilling good habits in those (and yours) kids. My kids only got milk or juice once a day at their DC (and it was my best friend!) and the rest of the day was water--not being a big water drinker at the time I thought that was a little rough but now I am so so so glad that she taught my kids to like and crave water. I really owe her because now my kids drink lots of water every day and have to be healthier for it.
Old 05-16-2006, 12:34 PM   #959  
Let's try this again . .

Boo-no, by themselves the soups pretty much suck . . they don't dissolve well-just like the shakes. But-I like to mix the chx soup mix with about 1/2 the water-pour it over chx and bake it. Yummy! And-take the vanilla shake mix-again, dissolve it in about 1/2 the water (as best you can of course) and then use it to top a baked apple with cinnamon it's really good. They both replace a bar-although since it's only 70 calories I admit I sometimes add it on as "several" condiments since I rarely use condiments except for salad dressing . . .
Old 05-16-2006, 12:36 PM   #960  
Katie

In between meals they only get water here, too. Even the toddlers get water in their sippy cups. It is good for them, and they really don't seem to mind.