Old 08-12-2004, 05:33 PM   #16  
Lost 25.8 lb since7/15/04

RustyWallaceFan,
Just saw your post as I was ready to log off - so sorry about your mom - I too didn't realize how much I had gained over the year since the diagnosis - or rather I didn't want to realize how much I had gained!!! There was already so much stress and food became one of the few "comforts" I could find. The reality of it is that I stopped getting on the scale, and would turn around so that I wasn't facing the scale when I had to go for a doctor's appointment. It wasn't until July, when I just couldn't look at myself in the mirror anymore that I rallied up the courage to get on the scale. I guess I already knew deep down what it was going to read, because I couldn't get into any of my old clothes anymore and would get depressed going into the store to buy progressively larger sizes. But, I'm starting on my way back down in the other direction!!! Already down one size, and I can look at myself in the mirror and smile - big change over just four weeks!!! Thanks again for your story.

Star you're not old!!! Women are like fine wine as the saying goes - they just get better with age. Looking forward to the rest of your story.

Now I really have to get that meatloaf in the oven and grill my chicken. Hubby will be home soon.

June
june620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 09:31 AM   #17  

Default It's Friday - Yep-eeeeeeee

Good Morning Ladies,

Well here is my story.........
I was thin as a teenager and young adult 118-125, I'm 5'7". Even at that I thought I was heavy and I started the diet addiction at 20. I was married young and had two sons by the time I was 30.
I have always loved to work out - fat or thin. I started exercising when I was 21 and have been addicted ever since. I think it was in my 30's that I did start to gain some weight and became very depressed and since then I have tired EVERYTHING to lose weight. I have lost probably 200 pounds in the last 25 years doing the yo-yo thing.
My husband passed away in 1995 (he was 47) and at that time I weighed 216. Ofcourse for about a year after he died, I didn't care about anything. I lost my partner and best friend of 26 years. It took everything I had to keep going. My mom was trying to "snap me out of it" and she signed me up at a weight loss clinic (to keep me busy). I went for awhile and got started, I also started riding my bike about 18 miles a day and the weight just came off. I ended up about 160 and was happy there.
In 2000 I met Ray and we were married in 2003 on Valentines Day at a mass wedding at the Palace during a Pistons basketball game. Between Ray and I we have 4 adult kids, 3 daughter in-laws, 1 live-in boyfriend and 2 grandbabies, one on the way. I call us "Brady Bunch Gone Wild" Since being marrided to Ray my highest weight was 185 (keeping up eating with him). He, by the way, says he would love me at 500 pounds.
Another reason I want to lose more weight is that Ray and I both have Harleys and there's nothing worse than a fat biker chick. It's hard enough dealing with all that leather and helmet hair, no room for extra weight
Anyhow, here I am, going along and losing slowly. One thing about me (and Rusty) we are very stubborn and aren't quitters. Plus, I'm not ready for that floral moo-moo yet But a bon-bon now and then is a good thing.
Geez, have I gone on forever here or what? Sorry.....BUT I'm really glad to be here - thanks

Last edited by Starlynn; 08-13-2004 at 09:42 AM.
Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 10:27 AM   #18  
One meal at a time!

S/C/G: 198/185/130

Height: 5' 2"

Good morning,
Thanks for all the kind words as well. Me and my Mom were really close. It's a constant battle not to cry everyday. This is one thing that has definetly not gotten any easier with time. It's like it just happened yesterday.
But anyway, on a more happier note, I got on the scales this morning and I was down to 149.2 I was trying not to get too excited yet about being in the 140's but Star said to claim it. So I am...LOL
Kristi....How did your dinner go?
Hello to everyone....I actually have to get some work down so I'll be back in alittle bit.
Karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 10:52 AM   #19  

Default RustyWallaceFan....You Go Girl

Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 11:44 AM   #20  

Hi Everyone!!!
Star, RustyWallaceFan, and Kristi: Thanks so much for sharing your stories, and Star you didn't go on forever!!! I think it's really helpful to hear the stories of other people - it is helpful to know that you are not the only one that is facing struggles other than just with the scale. I think telling these stories also helps us to understand how we got to where we are, and gives us the courage to keep plugging away. I feel more motivated already!! Thanks so much!!!

RustyWalaceFan: Yeah!!!! Good for you - you hit a wonderful milestone - Star is right - you claim that win!!! I'm so happy for you!!!

Kristi: Yeah for you too - sticking to plan and bravo for the new loss this morning!!! You'll be at goal in no time!!!

Now I'll give myself a Yeah!!! I did it!!! Weighted in this morning and am down 10.2 pounds net since July 15 - one week ahead of schedule!!! Needless to say, I converted my 5 week trial to my full program. My counselor was wonderful - I told her exactly how much I could afford to spend in terms of my program and we kept below that number to meet my goal. I bought 3 months worth of the supplements I use at 25% off and 10 weeks of bars at the 25% discount. That was in my budget, and I was pleased. By the way, I was wrong - Celluway is a different product from EFA's. She also through in a bottle of Carb Enders for me to try. I thought that was really nice of her. So I feel good now - and I want to thank everyone here for giving me the motivation to meet my first minigoal!!! So I am off to treat myself to that $10 ankle bracelet I saw. My next minigoal is to be down 17 pounds from my starting weight. I think my treat at that point will be a pedicure!!! So, that leaves me with 6.8 pounds to that goal. My feet could use that pedicure by the way!!!! So wish me luck. Hugs everyone!!! Be back later I'm sure. Enjoy the day!!!!

June
Old 08-13-2004, 12:43 PM   #21  

Default Got for a day, and so much to read...

Hi everyone. I have been playing catch up with all of you, there are so many posts. I have started a list and will catch up later with all of you. But, wanted to pass this on to June.

June: You can have poultry loaf when your family is having meatloaf.

Here is what I do (hope this helps you or someone). It makes a nice change from chicken breasts all the time, and you can make it a head of time for easy lunches/dinners.

I have a baking pan, that is actually a pan that you can make several mini loaves of whatever (like you see little loaves of banana breads at bake sales), or you can substitute and use a muffin pan. First I spray the pan with Pam and set aside.

Get your scale out and cover with plastic (you'll be glad you did).
Get some plastic serving gloves (from the $1 store, they are very handy)

GROUND TURKEY

scallions (usually only use the bottom white part)
green peppers (or Polano Peppers, these are mildly hot peppers)
fresh garlic
black pepper
marjadrome (spelling)
fresh basil (or whatever other spices/herbs you like)

Place ground turkey in a large baking bowl. Chop scallions, peppers and garlic (I do mine all together in a mini chopper). Dump into bowl with ground turkey. Add herbs and spices. Put on the plastic gloves, this part is messy. Mix well with hands so everything is blended.

Now, grap clumps of mixture from the bowl and weigh out 6 ozs, place into muffin pan. (I'm on the Gold Plan so I figure 6 oz = 1 protein and 1 vegetable). Make bigger if your allowed more protein (like the Red Plan).

Keep measuring clumps of mixture until your out, or the pan is full (LOL).

I bake for about 30-40 minutes in a 325/350 degree oven. Let cool. You now have several mini 'meat' loaves ready for lunches, dinners or whenever you eat your protein.

They are good hot or cold, plain or with catsup or mustard or however you like your regular meat loaf. Sometimes I add spinach, sometimes mushrooms and have even added grated zucchini as not to get too bored with the same old thing. Sometimes it comes out better than others, but I keep trying different things with it. Oh yes, I have added fennel seeds to the mixture and it tastes like turkey sausage and you know it's on program because you made it yourself.

I count them as a protein and a veggie, think I said that.

Sometimes, I weigh them, and put them into the freezer in a plastic sandwich bag WITHOUT cooking so I have individual size packages all ready for things like turkey taco salad, turkey burgers. Sometime I bring the frozen bag with me to work for lunch, I just grap a bag from the freezer, I leave the bag on my desk as let it thaw - and it's ready to put into the microwave at lunchtime (it's always freezing in my office so I don't suggest this is you work outside or in a hot place). I cook it for about 40-50 seconds, then chop it up with a fork, return to microwave for about a minute and it's done.

Well, I have much catching up to do. I will post tomorrow or later. Have a great day everyone!

Sy
SyracuseNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 03:21 PM   #22  

Good Afternoon all, well we are on our way tomorrow to N.C. Hope the hurricane will have passed and not done too much damage! I went to LAWL this morning and I am down. I met a woman there who just came back from 2 weeks holidays and her weight was down. So I guess it's doable! I hope to post maybe later next week.
Beachlover (and I really am going to the beach)
beachlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 04:09 PM   #23  

Hi beach:
Have fun in N.C. I hope you have a whole lot of sunshine.
Diane
dianem1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 08:42 PM   #24  

Beach, have a great time. Eat some pork BBQ for me, nothing like a North Carolina BBQ sandwich with cole slaw. I know it's probably too late, but where are you vacationing in NC. I love the Outerbanks - and Raleigh is a nice city too. I love the ocean, so hopefully you will get to enjoy. We should be seeing the rain from Bonnie this weekend, and I will pray that you don't see any part of Charley while vacationing! Have a great time, and I'll be thinking of you basting in the warmth of the south. ~Sy~
Old 08-14-2004, 06:58 AM   #25  

Good Morning Everyone,

Kristi: Thanks for the congrats - mostly I think that I am feeling relieved!!! Now I just need to keep going in this direction. I know I will need more motiviation once I go back to work. My biggest problem when working is that I am so busy that it's very difficult to eat on schedule. Now I know the importance of eating several small meals to make it easier for your body to digest.

SY: Thanks for taking the time to share that recipe - it sounds great - and is a wonderful idea for the next meatloaf night. You sound like you must be a wonderful cook!! How is everything else going? Did you finally get relief from TOM. I expect to be in that boat in the next week or so. I'm already starting to get that PMS sort of feeling.

I need to try to tackle my kids' computer/playroom this weekend. Since I was feeling so motivated yesterday I started in on it in the afternoon. Mistake!!! They are very clever about hiding their garbage - I was piping mad by 8 last night and totally exhausted. Hopefully today will be a better day in that area.

Hugs to all.
June
Old 08-14-2004, 07:00 AM   #26  

P.S.
Have a great time Beachlover. Hopefully you will get good weather - the real problem seems to be in Florida. Have lots of fun and I look forward to hearing from you next time.

June
Old 08-14-2004, 07:32 AM   #27  

Meltin: Hope your out there. How was your vacation in Maine? I hope that you don't get any damage from Charley as I heard last night that it was headed towards Charleston, SC - yikes!
Old 08-14-2004, 02:43 PM   #28  

Default Hi.

Hi. I have tried diet after diet and even though I have the LA Weight Loss Plan - I got it from a friend - i just can't afford to go - I am having such a hard time starting it. Can someone please help me? I really want to lose weight, weight watchers leaves me too many choices and I just keep eating and eating. I'm 34 years old - going to Disney in November and would really like to lose at least 20 pounds before I go. I'm only 5 foot tall so I'm relatively short and I weigh 221 lbs - it's the most I've ever weighed (except for when I was pregnant - but I'm not counting that ) Anywho - I was hoping all you LAWLer's have tips and tricks of the trade so that you could all help me to get started. I would really appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks bunches!!
weightylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 06:43 PM   #29  

Hi Weightylady,
It's very nice to meet you. I wish I had some real words of wisdom - but all I can offer is the fact that I do understand where you are - I think we all face the same struggles. I started LAWL very recently, and coming here and participating in the boards has helped me tremendously in terms of staying motivated. The advice has been very helpful, and the people are very supportive. I am glad you found this site, and hope it helps you to know that we are all routing for each other - and you too!!!
Big hugs.
June
Old 08-15-2004, 12:18 PM   #30  

Welcome Lady, oh my - words of wisdom? I don't have much as we are all in the same boat, but I'll try to give you some tips of starting. First of all, you have to decide to do this for yourself, and since you have a goal in mind (your trip to Disney) you may have better luck. Then, decide on the day that your going to start. First, start looking over the choices you have to stay on program. If you are that short on funds, add a few of the things to your grocery list each week and freeze what you can. Also, go a store (like WalMart) and get a small notebook (for your food diary) and a food scale. Both should not cost you over $10.00. Okay, are you ready now? I'm not sure how your going to start, if you are going to start with the 2 day Take Off or not. Convince yourself that the only thing that your giving up is 'food' - it's really not that big of a deal because the same food will be around when you reach your goal. And, by the time you reach your goal - things that you didn't think you could resist will not seems that important anymore. Take it 1 day at a time. I know with me, I can't allow myself not to stick to plan, because once I start doing something that is not on plan, it only causes disaster for me. So, I block that cake out of my head that everyone else is eatting, and after I feel so proud of myself for not giving into temptation. keep busy, when you feel like eatting, get out of the chair and do something different. Take a few minutes off for yourself to exercise, that will make you feel better - anyone can fit in some type of exercise a day. If it's parking at the end of the parking opposite of the store, or just walking around the block (if you have a block). Come and visit this site because everyone here is willing to help when ever they can. Now that you convinced yourself that you want to do it for yourself because you deserve it, your on your way. Hope this help?

June, just make more of that turkey loaf and also put 4 into green peppers. So tonight I will have stuff green peppers.

Have a nice rest of the weekend.

Sy
, get up - weigh yourself - write it down.