Old 08-19-2004, 03:51 PM   #91  

Finoa, just a quick reply on my way out the door from work. My center is right next to a Gino and Joe's Pizza shop. That is all I can smell as I walk towards the LAWL center's door. What a temptation. And, sorry for mixing everyone up. I will have to take notes while reading the posts so I get everyone straight. Sometimes there are so many to read, I get confused. I'm not complaining, I will just have to pay better attention. I'll write back after weigh-in. ~Sy~ I will post my stats at that time as well.
SyracuseNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 04:14 PM   #92  

Default LA Center

Right next to my LA Center there is a Subway. Once in awhile I will grab a salad or wrap from there Thank God it's not a bakery.
Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 04:14 PM   #93  

Ooooh, prop me up, girls, I can feel my willpower waning! I'm not hungry, I'm just in an eating kind of a mood. Just finished lunch - a yummy grilled chicken wrap with lettuce and tomatoes and just a sprinkle of honey mustard and now my brain is going "what else can I eat?!?" There's just too much accessible, off-limits food around me right now - popcorn and candy and cold Mt. Dew in the fridge, which is something that I had to swear off cold turkey because I'm worse than an alcoholic, the way I chain-drink the stuff and can't stop once I start! Oh, and lets not forget the other half of my wrap which I'm going to have to give to my hubby since it won't keep til tomorrow and I've already got my two starches for today. Sigh!

Fiona

Last edited by mkfionap; 08-19-2004 at 04:18 PM.
vibrantecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 04:33 PM   #94  

Ahhhh....I took two tiny nibbles from my double chocolate LA Bar and that helped, plus it's making me thirsty - I did really good this morning but was slowing down on my water consumption for the afternoon, which was frustrating too.

Kristi: If I could get up and move around I sure would, but I work as a receptionist so I'm shackled to this telephone eight hours a day! Except for the occasional turn around the office to deliver some mail or a message, that is. Two more hours to go...today is SUCH a nice day here, though, that I may take DD for a walk when I get home. Not eating so much junk food is already having a positive impact on my energy level. Yay!

Fiona
Old 08-20-2004, 09:26 AM   #95  

Good going Fiona - you pulled through that tough spot, you go girl!

I'm with Kristi - when I follow plan 100% (or even 99.5%) it really makes a difference. I do feel stronger and proud of myself which will make anyone feel good!

Finoa, it's hard sitting in the same spot and not being able to leave your desk. I use to have a job that I took all the service calls for a computer company and dispatched the calls to the technicians - that was similar to being a receptionist as far as not being able to leave my desk (not even to use the restroom unless I could find someone to watch the phones while I was gone). Actually, I didn't know that companies still had receptionist - most use those horrible voicemail systems with tons of menus and if your really lucky - you finally get a human being on the phone. You have enlighten me in that area.

Well - I have to explain something that I didn't know and it was not explained to me at the beginning of LAWL. You know when you start, they figure how long it will take to get to goal? Well, I believe that they figure 2 lbs a week (which is really a lot for a normal person). So, I go to the center yesterday and I'm told I'm out of weightloss weeks. I looked at the women like she was nuts. I said, what you do mean. She said that they figured that I should reach my goal in 16 weeks and this was my last visit, but of course - I could buy additional week. Then I started thinking what I read here the other day about someone else being out of weeks. I asked if I could use my stabilization weeks or maintenance weeks for my weightloss weeks. They said no, I'd have to purchase more. Then she said that it would be an addtional $7/week. I said, isn't there a special or something going on because I know as soon as I purchase the needed weeks - I would see an ad on TV for a special. So, she said that if I promised to go to the LAWL website and print out the couple - she would only charge me $5/week. I signed up for another 10 weeks. When I originally started, I only paid $2/week because of the special that was going on. I had to call my sister to let her know because I think she thought like I did that we would have unlimited weeks or could use all we paid for. $5/week is not bad because Weight Watchers would cost me $15/week - so I don't feel so bad spending $50 for 10 weeks. I'm close to goal, and I'm not giving up now.

Stats: 199/166.6/155 - Age 48 - Height 5',7"

My WW goal was 159, so I set this one lower. My personal goal is 150.

I heard on Oprah (did I spell that right) this week that when she was losing weight - the butt was the last to go. She said that it starts at the top and moves down. I hope she is right.

BTW, I'm down 1.6 this week. I have been at the weight a couple weeks ago and either freaked out because I was getting close - or something. Glad to be back, and I really feel good about myself and feel stronger and excited that I'm so close to goal.

I have said this before, and hopefully something will click in my head so I hear it for the rest of my life. Getting to goal does not mean that I can go back to my old eatting habits. I will have to continue to make good choices, and pretty much stick to a plan - or the weight will come right back. I have said this many times before, and of course and I have to keep the pep talk going on in my head. You don't gain the weight back right away - but you cheat a little - it's okay, then a little more and it's still okay, then all of a sudden a few pounds start coming back and I'm out of control again. I didn't pay attention to 'portion' sizes and of course they grew larger and larger and I justified all of it. Hopefully this time I will be more in control.

I'm feeling great today, so hopefully I won't sabatoge myself into thinking that I can cheat - it has happened before. Wish me luck this weekend!
Old 08-20-2004, 10:18 AM   #96  

Default It's Friday.....

Let's do the Happy Dance.....

Hi everyone,

Kristi, I have taken advantage of several of the fast food salad offers. They come in very handy when I'm running around on Saturdays. Like you, I take the off-plan stuff off. The one thing that bugs me is the lack of fat free dressings that are offered by most fast food/resturants in general. Burger King now offers meat/chicken patties wrapped in lettuce.

Sy, congrats on buying more weeks! You aren't far from goal. You and I are the same height and weight, with the same personal goal. I have you beat on the high, mine was 216.. I was looking at the BMI chart and according to that we will be at "normal" weight range at 159 and not "overweight" - that will be a wonderful number to reach.....I'm also alot like you when it comes to the slipping back into old habits and ways of eating. I know I will always have to be very aware of what and how much I eat, that's just how my body works. But this time I'm gonna get there and stay there, I never want to weigh more than 5 pounds of my goal. Now all I have to do is reach that goal.

Hello everyone else..........
Old 08-20-2004, 10:42 AM   #97  
One meal at a time!

S/C/G: 198/185/130

Height: 5' 2"

Good morning,
Sy....I just had to buy more weeks. They were running an ad in the paper for 5.00 weeks. I took advantage of it because I had to pay 8.00 in the beginning for my weeks. I think the only way to get the free weeks is if you haven't cheated and stuck to the plan 100% and visited the center 3 times a week. That's my understanding anyway. I bought 10 week also. I still had some left but I knew I wouldn't be at goal by the end of September so now I'm paid up till November 30th. I should be there by then. I think that 2 pounds a week is not an average weight loss. That's where they get you. They told me yesterday that I'm only averaging 1/2 a pound to a pound a week. At that rate, I feel like I'll never get there.

Kristi....I have also tried the McDonalds salads and various other places. I got the bacon ranch salad at McDonalds and ate everything on it. Last night I had the Martha's Vineyard salad from Arby's for dinner. That one wasn't big enough for me for dinner so I added some romaine lettuce to make it bigger. That's all I ate though. It was pretty good.

Trina and Sy...I know what you mean about having to watch what you eat when we get to goal. I'll probably be doing the gold plan the rest of my life...
Fiona...I just don't know how you do it just taking nibbles of a bar. I woof my bars down and wish I could have another. I'm such an oinker.
And speaking of bars....Star has tried atleast one flavor that I know of on the luna bars. She said it was really good (I think the Smores) I'll be getting some over the weekend to try before I order a box. I'll let you know what I try. So far, except for getting them online, You can get them at Walgreens and Rite Aid. Does anyone else know where to get them. Does Wal-mart have them?
Well, it's time to get alittle work done this morning but I'll check back in later.
Karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 11:29 AM   #98  

Sy - I'm glad you feel good about purchasing the extra weeks to finish your program! And congratulations on the loss, too - that must be a nice motivator to help you keep going til the end.

Karen - good for you, too. I think the key to getting the guarantee that they'll carry your extra weeks if you don't reach your goal on schedule is eating their bars, even more so than making every single weigh-in.

You know, so far I like the people at my center - I've only met with two of them - but it's so funny how they give you the least amount of information about some things. For example, at my weigh in yesterday, they wanted to know "which" bulk plan I wanted to use for my bars...all my program weeks, up through half my maintenance, or just my weight loss and stabilization weeks. Wellll, I couldn't afford any of them (side note: they changed their minds and told me they had to put that 1/3 credit on my program, not on my bars. I don't know why.) So I had to drag it out of them that the minimum purchase to get "the best price" of $10.50 per 7-count box was 40 boxes. And what if I wanted to buy less than 40? Well then, I guess, lets see...for 20 and up, the price jumps a whopping fifty cents to $11 per box. So I settled for 20, but they were definitely hoping (I won't say strongarming) that I'd just take their little plans at face value and hand over $1000, or better yet for them, "since she knew I had financial concerns" just buy by the week and pay full price.

Anyway, I'm committed to staying on-plan today (yesterday didn't go so bad), even though I don't think I'm actually going to get a chance to weigh in tomorrow like I had hoped (no time) and I'll have to stick it out til Monday.

Have a great day everyone!

Last edited by mkfionap; 08-20-2004 at 11:31 AM.
Old 08-20-2004, 01:10 PM   #99  

Star: TGIF - I'm doing the Happy Dance with you!

Diane: HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! Hope you have a wonderful day, and many happy years to follow!!!

Karen, if January 1st, 2004 of this year didn't come when it did, I would have probably matched your start weight as well. At Christmas I had to buy a pair of jeans, and I tried on so many size 16 jeans until I found one that fit and by the time I washed them and put them in the dryer - I knew I was in trouble. I had already outgrown them. Yikes!! That was it for me. LOL. We can assist each other at making to our goal. I don't set mini-goals anymore as far as a number on the scale because if I'm not successful at the goal I set, I get discouraged and don't try has hard. Each of us are different I know, others do great with mini-goals.

Fiona: I have never purchased more than 20 boxes (which is really 10 boxes) of the bars at a time. I'm sure they will have another special the week of Labor Day, they have had sales near Memorial Day and 4th of July so far, so I'm assuming they will again. Plus, things will be dying down for weightloss since summer is over. I'm sure they are busiest after Jan 1st until summer starts. My motto for LA is to always ask about the specials - or tell them you will wait until there is a special - you are bound to get the price lowered so they can make a sale. Got to go. Take care everyone. ~Sy~
Old 08-20-2004, 01:32 PM   #100  

Found this paragraph on this site, but another thread. Wanted to share before leaving as it may help Fiona at her brother's wedding tomorrow and all of us get through the weekend or an upcoming event.

Quote:
I hope everyone is having a good day...stay on plan! Be strong-the fried chicken may give you pleasure at the moment-but I guarantee you you will feel disappointed after eating it! If you stay strong-the feeling of empowerment will be much more fufilling than the pleasure from eating it! You will feel like "Wow...I made it! I didn't cave!" and it will give you strength to do even better the next day...a domino effect!
Subsitude fried chicken for whatever is temping you...

~Sy~
Old 08-20-2004, 01:40 PM   #101  
Lost 25.8 lb since7/15/04

Hi Everyone,
This is the first chance I had to get to the boards today and there are so many new posts. Congrats on all your losses everyone - great job!!!. I'm still PMSing, and still the same weight at weigh-in this morning, 1.6 lb. loss on Monday, maintaining on Wednesday and Friday weigh-in. So total loss on LAWL since beginning on July 15 is 11.8 pounds. Here are my stats: I'm 5'7", weighed 169 on June 25 when I started dieting on my own. Was down to 166.8 on July 15 when I started LAWL, and am now down to 155. My goal is 125. So, I've actually lost 14 pounds since I bit the bullet and started to do something about this extra weight that's been driving me nuts. Now I'm getting nervous about the stall - I hope it really is due to TOM on the doorstep within the next day or two - I'm starting to get antsy and would like to be down another six pounds in the next three weeks. I hope this isn't a plateau - I'm still looking at 30 more pounds I'd like to lose before the holidays
June
june620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 02:14 PM   #102  

Um, hi! I'm Dahlia. I've been lurking at this board for a couple of weeks, and I've decided to join up.

I'm thinking about going to LAWL, but I'm rather scared of the sell tactics of the first time you go in. I'd like to know a little more about the diet plan before I go in, y'know?

Do any of you know a place where the different color plans are listed, so I can see what I'd be getting into?

Thanks so much for the help, and congrats to y'all for doing so well- I'm very impressed.

Last edited by Dahliaa; 08-20-2004 at 02:32 PM.
Dahliaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 02:15 PM   #103  

June,
You might be worried about your stall, but it sounds like you are doing great to me....
We are the same height and I can faintly remember weighing 125. If I remember correctly, it was a very flattering weight - ah to be young again.......
The older you get your standards get lower, now I would kill to get to 150.....tee-hee
Old 08-20-2004, 02:19 PM   #104  
One meal at a time!

S/C/G: 198/185/130

Height: 5' 2"

Hello again,
I asked them at the center yesterday why all the prices were so different. They told me that some of the LAWL centers were franchise and some were corporate. They also said it depended on how many centers were in that area. Here where I'm at, we only have one but I could go 100 miles and there are 7 of them. They said those 7 were alot more expensive than ours. I don't know if there's any truth to that or if they were just trying to give me some kind of an answer.

I have a question for everyone. Do you think this plan is based on calories or food combination.
Karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 02:52 PM   #105  

Thanks for the encouragement, Sy!

Welcome, Dahlia!! I want you to know, I did NOT encounter ANY hard-sell tactics at ANY of my initial appointments. If you do encounter some, and have the luxury of having several centers nearby, don't be afraid to try a few to find one that's a good fit. You just have to be willing to speak up a little bit if you have questions, because they DO try to give you the minimum of information (I think more for the sake of not leaving you with TOO MUCH information, than because they are trying to hide anything. See my post above about how I had to ask to find out the price structure for the protein bars).

Perhaps by now you've gathered that the LAWL system is based on eating a balanced diet of food groups and portion sizes. I don't know all the plans, but, for example, my plan is Purple - I get three servings of proteins, four of veggies, three of fruits and two of starches, plus a small amount of dairy and fat and two LA protein bars daily. (They will choose your plan for you based on how much weight you want to lose and how active you are, and will adjust it if you appear to be losing "too" fast or too slow.) The plan REALLY makes a lot of sense to me, and gives me the kind of structure I've never been able to create for myself...and the three-times-a-week weigh-ins and the daily food diary really help me stay accountable.

I'd be glad to answer any other questions you have up front or after your initial appointments - feel free to PM me.

Star, you're so funny. One of my big struggles with accepting my weight is that in my head, I still *look* 125! So mirrors and photos are still kind of a shock! I can't wait to get back down there.

Karen: There are seven centers within 15 minutes drive of my house. I don't know if they are a single franchise or part of corporate, but I know they all participate in the same advertising push, have the same rates, etc. As for the plan, I think it's both calorie and portion-based, because when I mapped my first day on FitDay, it came out almost exactly equal proportions for fats, proteins and carbs, and right around 1400 calories.

Fiona