Old 01-13-2008, 03:49 PM   #61  

S/C/G: 269/250/135

Height: 5ft3

Thanks Sue I really wasn't sure and yes it was the cheese and butter that had a lot of fat grams and so i got fat free in those but I think I will get the lowfat cheese then. I like soda I usually drink diet but where I have been trying to drink a lot of water I can't seem to fit it in which I guess is good. Other than that I have been drinking tea like a cup of Oolong and then in the evening green. Have any of you had any side effects from alli by the way? Oh and I forgot to tell everyone my name ... silly me lol It's Melissa.
mdm20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 05:43 PM   #62  

Melissa, I honestly don't think you are eating enough if you are only getting 1100 calories. The more we weigh, the more we are supposed to eat in order to lose weight. That doesn't mean we go out and eat 2000+ calories a day, but if it says you should eat 1800, aim for that amount. If you go too low in your calories, your body can go into a starvation mode, and that isn't going to help you at all. We need to be doing something that we can do as a lifestyle change, not just a quick switch to lose lots of weight quickly only to put it back on when/if we start to eat "normally" again. I'm in the "lose weight slowly club". lol

A friend of mine swore by eating low calorie. Granted she was losing on 1000 a day, but then her weight loss stopped. So, she dropped her calorie intake. I think her doctor finally convinced her that eating 500-800 calories just wasn't healthy, and it wasn't something that she could do for the rest of her life. She bumped her calories back up to 1400-160, and she started losing again. She is 5'2".

I really haven't had the side effects that some have had with Alli. As I said in another post, if I do go over on my fat grams for a meal, I try to balance it out for the day by going lower in other meals. I think maybe once way last fall when I was following the program faithfully, I had one of the treatment effects, but it wasn't anything like I was fearing.

Hubby and I went out for a late lunch to a Mexican restaurant near here. Delicious food!! I had grilled chicken with grilled vegies, rice, and refried beans. I ate most of the chicken and vegies but I left quite a bit of the other stuff on the plate. It sure was yummy!!

Goal for this week: go to the Y at least 3 days this week. I was reading my Arthritis Today magazine, and it mentioned not going crazy at first trying to do it all. Since I hadn't been going to the Y except for water aerobics since September, I decided to play it smart. I'll start with 3 days a week with 30-45 minutes each time. I do plan to go to the water aerobics class tomorrow night to visit with everyone. I didn't sign up for this session since I knew we'd be leaving halfway through. The instructor told me that I could come to the classes as her guest until we leave. They've had 3 classes already, and I haven't made it there yet.

Hope you all are having a great weekend!!!
Tammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 09:02 PM   #63  

Height: 5'4"

Mellisa. Tammy,Brighten and any other Gals

I am all set...Went to Alli Site and read and switched some of the meals for the week, printed them out, all filed neatly with protector covers on them, stored in a binder ready to go to town with new program tomorrow.

Did the exercise page all up to date with what I am pledged to do.

Problem I have is drinking enough water!!!!! some days, when the weather is cold I am lucky to get down 2 glasses all day. Not enough.

Watch for all of you tomorrow...Remember, Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it....Anne of Green Gables
Bionic Beach Babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 11:58 PM   #64  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

Bionic
Remember you do need a certain amount of fluids a day. That does include what you are eating too.

Tammy
My family doctor and the dietitian/nutritionist told me no adult should eat under 1200 calories a day. Don't ask me how I did it but I jammed one of the pulleys lol.

mdm
Hope you do great, can't wait to see the progress you make.

got2
I agree and fat free tastes nasty lol. We want to make sure we are taking in the good fat and not the bad fat.

Brighten
Welcome, hope you do very well.
Shy Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 05:52 AM   #65  

bionic, I sometimes don't drink enough water either, but I am doing much better with that. You really sound ready to get started today!! Good luck to you!! Keep us posted on how you are doing.

Shy, I was thinking the same thing about the 1200 calories. When my friend was doing that low calorie thing, she was driving us all crazy because we knew she wasn't eating enough to keep going. She was a teacher also, and she would be grumpy with her class, and I didn't like that. lol

I'll be heading to the Y in about an hour. I know they are open now, but I'm not sure how busy they are first thing. I figure there are people there before they head for work.

Have a great day everyone!!
Old 01-14-2008, 12:33 PM   #66  
Brighten

Height: 5.1

Default First day of the rest of my life...thinner! and Healthier!

Started off my morning with a very good breakfast...the Alli breakfast burrito! I am full!

Melissa, have you read/seen if we are NOT to drink Diet soda? I admit to being addicted to Diet Pepsi...trying not to drink it until I get a answer to if it's permissible on Alli. I am not going to drink coffee in the mornings any longer but switch to tea.

Tammy, thanks for the encouragement.

Hello Shy!

Sis, how is your morning starting out? I am okay and looking forward to our first check in date. I know we will both do well by encouraging the other along the way. Dear HB is reading the book so he can understand and support me with the Alli program. He is a doll!

I love you,
Brighten
Brighten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 12:45 PM   #67  

Brighten, I've never read anything about not drinking Diet Soda. No sugar, no fat, so I don't know why you couldn't drink it.

I was at the Y this morning. I rode the encumbant bike for 35 minutes, walked for 15 minutes, and did some reps on a couple of the cardio machines. I need to go earlier the next time because it was getting crowded. I don't like crowds.

Have a good day!!

OK. I just checked on the Alli site, and I found where it lists beverages that we can drink. Sugar free sodas are listed, so go for it!!

Last edited by Tammy; 01-14-2008 at 12:51 PM. Reason: to add info about diet sodas
Old 01-14-2008, 01:45 PM   #68  
Brighten

Default Thanks!

Tammy, thank you for the information...I have to admit I am relieved since I truly enjoyhat: my Diet Pepsi. But I will give up my coffee : and stick to a non-fat, sugar free Vanilly Latte once in a while for a treat.

I am thinking of re-joining our fitness center...they have a pool, all the equipment one needs. You spur me on.

Thanks again,

Brighten
Old 01-14-2008, 06:35 PM   #69  

S/C/G: 194/165/135

Hi room, just started Alli today. I have been here on and off for years, and hope this will give me the little incentive I need to succeed. I have done Atkins, WW, and Nutrisystem in the past, losing about 20lbs with each but gaining some back whenever I try to do it on my own. I LOVE fast food, Mcdonalds breakfast specifically, but am hoping the "treatment effects" will be the needed incentive to finally keep me away! Hope you have room for one more!
Barb

Last edited by barbmarie; 01-15-2008 at 02:52 PM.
barbmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 07:51 PM   #70  
Brighten

Default First day on program

Today was a good day...even walked my 20 minutes! I am proud of that because I am healing from a fractured leg and it poured!

Barb, join the troups honey, we've all most likely been there...I for one certainly have!

I love the Alli program the way it's set up to list our nutrition, our water, our exercise and even journalize...I believe in Journals!

I ended up listing all my meals by ingredient even though I stuck to their recipes to the "T"...the totals came out higher than theirs! I wonder if one can click on something and their totals will list for each recipe??? Any one know?

Have a great Jan 15th all!

Brighten
Old 01-14-2008, 08:14 PM   #71  

Brighten, I don't think you have to cut out coffee either. I'm pretty sure that was listed. I just returned home from the Y. I went to a water aerobics class. It felt so good!! We all went into the whirlpool afterwards. That always feels great. If you have a fitness center near you, I say Go For It!!
Good for you for going for that walk!! Doesn't it make you feel good? I don't journal my food at the alli site. I do it on another site that it won't let me type on here. I also don't follow the alli meal plans.

Hi Barb! Welcome to the group! I also like fast foods, but I have learned to make better decisions. The alli really helps you think about what you really want to eat. Glad you can join us!!

Goal for tomorrow is to walk and do some arm machines in the cardio room at the Y. I'd like to be there earlier tomorrow since it was starting to get busy today when I was there.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:55 PM   #72  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

Brighten
Nice of you to get the body moving but please take it easy so you don't over do it.

Barb WELCOME
There is always room for one more. For some people not wanting to have the treatment effects are more than enough incentive to stick to the eating plan.

Tammy
YUCK diet pop oh that is just nasty lol. From time to time I am under 1200 but I make up for it on other days lol.
Shy Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 03:43 AM   #73  

S/C/G: 269/250/135

Height: 5ft3

Thanks for the advice tammy & everyone else everyone is so helpful... and Brighten I haven't seen anything on it but I mean it is diet and no calories or fat grams... I'm addicted to but I haven't had any because I wasn't sure either if i see anything I'll let you know. Welcome barb
mdm20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 12:17 PM   #74  

Shy, I guess I have gotten used to the diet pop. With diabetics in the family, it has just always been there. It's much better than it used to be, that's for sure.

mdm, I really like the support and advice that I receive here. It helps me make it through some rough days.

I went to the Y again this morning. I told hubby that I might go every day this week, just to get into the habit of getting up and going. We leave for Georgia 2 weeks from today!! Need to get in there and work out all I can before we leave.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:49 PM   #75  

S/C/G: 194/165/135

Thanks for the welcome all. Finished up my grocery shopping and instead of grabbing a burger on the way home, stopped at Subway! Its great and only 6gms of fat. So far so good!

Barb

Last edited by barbmarie; 01-15-2008 at 02:51 PM.
barbmarie is offline   Reply With Quote