Old 12-26-2007, 01:22 PM   #361  

S/C/G: 177/171.2/154

Height: 5' 5.5"

Oh, yes. Fiber is my best friend! It's low-cal and makes you feel FULL! Congrats on the 2-lb loss, carol! That inspires me to start back into more fiber. Plus, it's SOO good for you. The USDA daily recommended allowance is 25 g, but I've heard you should try for 35g a day. But ease into it or you might regret it, hehe. ANd drink plenty of water.
Fiber one has a yummy fiber bar with oats and chocolate-- 9 g. I like eating fiber one cereal with yogurt (14 g of fiber for half a cup, and some yogurts are fiber fortified). Fruit and veggies have good fiber and also good water content. Any whole grains bread and rices are great, as well as whole grain pastas (much more flavorful, in my opinion). Beans have been called the perfect food because they have such great fiber and protein. I LOOOOOVE garbanzo beans! mmmm!

Fiber is one of my health soapboxes. I think getting enough can help prevent diseases, because one eats such HEALTHY things when being sure to take in enough fiber.

Hope your holidays were wonderful, everyone! Trying to clean the house up again so we can get it ready to show some more (eight showings and great feedback, but no offers yet... it's only been 2.5 weeks, though).

Last edited by mom2mollie; 12-26-2007 at 01:30 PM. Reason: add more info
mom2mollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 10:40 AM   #362  

A few days eating.

I've had a few good days with the increased fiber intake. It seems to help with the hunger. I did drink some soy milk right before bed last night because of extreme hunger and then awoke at 4 am with the same hunger. I had eaten VERY light at supper. I decided to pray and I went back to sleep. I hope tonight goes better.

The same thing happened with the hunger last night. I drank the soy milk at midnight and skipped the 4am hunger. Strange. Still trying to stick to the fiber. Sometimes I think I need to eat a little more supper but maybe smaller meals more often will help. I have been doing a little more work on the eliptical. I have a hard time sticking to it for any length of time.

Had a good day yesterday. I ate really small portions for dinner which made the grazing of the rest of day easier. I had some soup at 7:30 and made it through the night without too much hunger. Really tired today so I'm taking it easy. My DH just doesn't understand how tired I get. Stayed up late on the 24th with company and got up early the 25th to make homemade bread because I ran out of the bread in the freezer. Now I need to get back to exercise. When I'm really tired that just goes out the window.

I take prednisone but my dose is so small now I can't believe that would cause hunger.
By the way, how do you fix garbanzo beans?
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 05:54 PM   #363  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Hi Everybody,

Haven't been here for a while. My new laptop we got from QVC had to be sent back because the hard drive was bad. Ordered another one and I got it for Christmas. Just got it back on line yesterday.

Carol - I just felt impressed lately to start eating more fiber. So you can imagine how thrilled I am to find someone else doing the same. I tried taking my WW materials and counting the fiber instead of points. Can't do that. I think just using IE will work better. I find if I have "#Rules" that I get into trouble. I have a Prevention's Diabetic Diet Cookbook (think that is the name). Any way they recommend at least 35 grams of fiber a day and say 55 is better. I did learn that 35 is about all my body will handle. Seem to gain if I eat more. But I'm not counting them today. I decided I better go back to eating just when I'm hungry and not just because I'm trying to get all the fiber in for the day. I am reading labels in order to be sure to purchase things I like with more fiber,so I'm eating more fruit and veggies and plan to just eat only when hungry. The one thing I noticed in my IE book is not to go over 5 hours without eating. Seems when we go over 5 hours we have tendency to overeat when we do eat. I am learning to like apples and eat at least one each day sometimes 2. How do you make apple salad?

mom2mollie - I agree with you that fiber is healthy and it does give us protection from so many diseases. I'll have to check out the Fiber One bar. I usually stay away from bars, but that would be great to carry for emergencies when traveling or away from home. I love my oatmeal with berries (which I learned are high in fiber usually 5 to 7 grams per 1 c serving of frozen) and plain yogurt. Neat thing this morning is that I ate only half of my oatmeal and saved the rest for tomorrow morning. I really think the fiber is going to work out great for me. Oh yes, I wanted to share with you about our selling our house. We prayed knowing that God had just the right family that He wanted to have our home. I loved our home and wanted someone who would love it as I did. It was on the market along time and we were really wondering if we were going to get it sold in time to pay for our new house here in SC. Then the day the couple who bought it walked in to look at it the first time I knew the house was supposed to be theirs. Later when I talked to the woman I learned that she had felt the same way. So I would say pray about it and watch how it works. It was an exciting experience for me. Have to say that I hated having to run and pick things up every time someone wanted to see it.

Sunday is my weigh in day and I had lost 3 lbs last Sunday. Still haven't gotten away from the scale thing, but at least I don't weigh quite as often as I used to. I went way over the 35 grams of fiber for a few days even eating when I wasn't hungry so as to get my fiber in for the day and so far the scales show I've gained the 3 lbs back. So I am back to eating just to satisfy my hunger, but to satisfy it with healthy fiber. I have a tendency to fall back into that "diet thinking" that I am still trying to overcome. So it will be interesting to see what happens Sunday for my WI day.

This is pretty long so I better close off and catch y'all again later.
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 01:09 AM   #364  

Hi, i am getting with fiber the first of year. so share lots of ideas with it. new to it. never watched it before. but i know they say it is filling and we need it. loss my wt on atkins and the fiber kept me from getting hungry. now its just more of portions and watching cal, carbs and fats. i wish all a VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR. LaDean
LaDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 10:29 AM   #365  

For apple salad I just combine diced apples and bananas and make a dressing of a little miracle whip thinned with water and a little sugar. Simple. That's great about your house, Patty. Must be hard to leave it. We've lived in the same house for 26 yr. Did you DH change jobs? Just so many memories connected with a house. We actually moved about 12 times before that so we moved a lot when we were young between going to school, army, etc. I love to see how God works in such wonderous ways. The other night I had my granddaughter shopping. She is 8mo. old and God found me close parking spaces 2 times. She is quite an armful for grandma. With the fiber thing, I think it does something to your blood sugar so you don't crave junk food. I eat all bran every morning. I get other fiber from soy milk, ww bread, fruits and veggies.
Old 12-29-2007, 06:18 PM   #366  

Hello Everybody,

Carol - DH and I are on SS and his Mother had been living with us. She didn't want to leave FL. She passed away and we felt things were just too expensive living in South FL. DH's deceased wife's sister and her husband and family live here in SC and they are like siblings to him. DH has no siblings. So we moved here because the cost of living is cheaper and we wanted to be close to his sister-in-law and her family. We love the 4 seasons here and the living isn't so fast either which I find relaxing and great.

It is true that fiber slows down our blood sugar. In fact, eating fiber is great for helping diabetics control it. Also, I read some where that fiber is great for swooping the bad toxins out of our system which is great when it comes to the bad stuff on some of our foods.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:22 AM   #367  
breakfast rebel

Height: 5' 4.5"

Carol: How to fix garbanzo beans? Check this out:
http://www.recipezaar.com/recipes.ph...title=chickpea

And speaking of fiber, are there any other sauerkraut fans out there?

jo
Spinymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 10:34 AM   #368  

Oh, I love sauerkraut!!!!! I have since I was a kid. I make a rueben sandwich with leftover ham, rye bread, baby swiss cheese, sauerkraut and Dorothy Lynch dressing which is a type of french. I broil the bread and spray it with canola oil spray........much faster than buttering and noone even notices. My DH saw me making them the other night and was amazed that I'd been doing it that way for a long time. He's a big butter fan. They are great leftover but don't last long in this house. I can't have cheese but they are still pretty good without so I make one for myself without cheese.
Old 12-31-2007, 11:57 AM   #369  

I too love sauerkraut, but haven't eaten it in years. I don't think DH likes it, but I'll have to find out if he does because he likes rueben sandwich. I'll have to try making it at home with your recipe Carol. It sounds delicious.

I weighed this morning and down another 1.5 lbs for this week making a total loss of 4 lbs since I started 2 weeks ago. I am thrilled to be able to see that I am leaving 2007 with a loss and not a gain. I love IE, just wish I could get the diet/guilt feelings/thoughts out of my head. I am enjoying things I really like and still eating healthy because of the healthy fiber foods I am eating. Even get to keep my chocolate by eating dark chocolate, but I still have the thoughts in my head that says "you can't eat that" and all the other things we feel and think when we were on diets. I guess that is the "police food voice" they talk about in IE. I've dieted for so many years about 45 so I guess it will take me a while to get rid of that voice. I even notice DH looking at me kind of funny some times like "are you sure you should be eating that?" look. He knows what I'm doing; he just doesn't understand it some times. He and his deceased wife used to argue about her losing weight because she was diabetic and died because of bad health from it. We agreed before we married that he would never "police" my eating and I promised that I would continue to work at losing. I was diabetic 2 for a short time years ago, but got it under control with weight loss and diet. So I know he has a fear of it coming back on me.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:19 PM   #370  

I don't know if any of you have problems with knees and joints, but I have been experiencing real problems lately. I recently recieved a newsletter from RealAge.com and they have an article saying that drinking green tea could be a good way to describe the youthful knees of a green-tea devotee. Potent compounds in green tea -- EGCG and ECG -- may help battle cartilage and collagen destruction in arthritic joints. It said that the EGCG and ECG found in green tea are powerful flavonoids known as catechins and it seems that these particular catechins may help fight inflammation, as well as some of the underlying mechanisms at work in both osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. I used to think how neat it was that I had no joint problems. Now I wonder if it came on me with my left knee going out on me on July 4th and my right knee had recently started hurting because I quit drinking green tea. Even my hands had started stiffening... I could feel that they were inflammed. Green tea used to be my main drink instead of cold drinks, etc. I don't even know why I quit drinking it or when. Any way I've gone back to drinking it and my bad knee is already almost well... very little pain and my other knee which had just started hurting some feels great. Inflammation is going away from my hands and more relaxed today. So I will definitely be drinking a lot of it again as it must work. I also read that it prevents cancer so I may be getting a double whammy benefit. I also started eating grapefruit again because I read many years ago that it removes the inorganic stuff from our joints and replaces the organic. It is so amazing to me the things that we are learning about how God put in our food what we need to heal our bodies and keep us healthy.

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYBODY
Old 12-31-2007, 02:21 PM   #371  

Hi ladies,
I have been reading your posts but i am sorry i haven't been posting. I am getting tired of how i feel about myself. I am tired of feeling out of control when i start eating.
Hope everyone is doing well.
CherryAutumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 06:13 PM   #372  

Hi CherryAutumn,

You know, I felt the same way when I first started IE. Do have a book on IE? If not it might be good to read one. I've got [I]Intuitive Eating[I] by Evelyn Tibole and Elyse Resch. I bought it from Amazon.com . It really helped me to get through some of those feelings. I found that once I got use to the fact that I really could have anything I wanted that I began to settle down and eat only when I am hungry. I learned that it is normal to have days that I eat more than others. When I read that I remembered a little boy I used to babysit years ago. He had days that he wouldn't eat hardly any thing and days that he ate a lot. His Mother and I learned that most of the time that if he ate good at my house that he didn't eat much for her when he got home, but when he didn't eat good for me he would eat more at home. We learned to go with his schedule. I noticed that with my DGD too. I think some times we can learn a lot from children's actions especially toddlers before they learn the bad habits from those of us around them. I hope it helps you to know that after weeks at this I have settled down. I ate breakfast yesterday... what I wanted. Today, I didn't want anything so I didn't eat anything. Finally had a grapefruit at about 10:45 am. Didn't eat a meal until about 4:30. Did have a chocolate WW cake with my green tea. Just not hungry and I don't feel deprived any more and I don't feel pressured to eat just because it is time to eat. Hope this helps.
Old 01-01-2008, 10:29 AM   #373  

That's interesting about the green tea. My DH takes glucosomine-chondroitin for joints but it takes 3 to 6 mo. to start working. I wonder if black tea is of any benefit. Good to see you again Cherry Autumn. Lately I have found brand buds cereal has really helped with my hunger. Just keep experimenting. Happy New Year to all.
Old 01-01-2008, 05:19 PM   #374  

S/C/G: 177/171.2/154

Height: 5' 5.5"

We LOOOOVE sauerkraut! I feel so GERMAN when I eat it! heehee! My DH drinks green tea made from fresh leaves (he buys it at a chinese grocery store). I consider him a true green tea connosieur. His boss is chinese and believes that green tea is like windex (remember My Big Fat Greek Wedding?) and that it cures EVERYTHING. Good stuff. I should drink more

Well, got some news here... I've been feeling a little weird lately (you know how it goes with IE-- have to be very in tune with your body), and I've been smelling weird things and not hungy very much, almost... ahem... nauseated. So I took an EPT and I'm 4 wks PREGNANT! We are SO thrilled. We're not telling family yet, but I guess I can blab to you guys, heehee. So, I think I will be using IE through my pregnancy. I used my 1st pregnancy as an excuse to eat everything and anything, and since I was on bedrest, gained over 40lbs. But this one I intend to be very careful and excercise moderately to keep in shape.

Anyway, just wanted to share the GREAT news, and let you also know that I intend to keep up with IE, because it is just the right thing to do ALL the time, even while pregnant and nursing!

Last edited by mom2mollie; 01-01-2008 at 05:21 PM.
mom2mollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 07:59 PM   #375  

Momtomollie!!!!!!!! As a mother of 10 I'm thrilled when I hear that kind of news. I'm anxiously awaiting the announcement of my next grandbaby though I don't tell anyone or know when it will be but with 7 married kids and another getting married this summer it could be any time. We have 8 grandkids now from 10 to 8mo. and what fun they are. We had the 10 yr old and his 7 yr. old sister overnight last night. My 17 yr. old DD and 22 yr. old DS were away when they came yesterday but the kids informed me that they liked having the whole house to themselves.......and we don't even have a TV. We do have a computer, obviously.