Old 11-25-2007, 09:51 AM   #286  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Cheerful Winter greetings to CherryAutmn

Good morning, CherryAutumn,

Sending you huge waves of positive encouragement this morning. I'm not a poster on this thread - I hang around the Beck Diet Solution thread - but I'm an ardent reader here because you Intuitive Eating folk are onto something that I'd like to have.

I'd love to have a sane relationship with food. And your goal of teaching that to your kids is super. Isn't it a fun thought to believe that we could have a generation of kids who didn't have our food hangups? Starting with eliminating, "Clean you plates; there are children starving in China."

Have a mindful eating day today.

Completed Beck Program-day 32. 10 to go. Keep going!
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 05:35 PM   #287  

Hi CherryAutumn, I know what you mean about this thread being slow sometimes. If everyone would post more often it would pick up. Bill, What is the Beck Diet about?
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 05:44 PM   #288  

Forgot to ask, Bill, how did you lose your weight? I looked at some of your old posts but couldn't find it.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:48 PM   #289  

Here is a link that might be a help to someone.

http://www.mindfuleating.org/
Old 11-27-2007, 07:24 AM   #290  

S/C/G: 225/198.2/150

Height: 5'5

Default I'm all over the place!

Since I've joined 3FC's, I've been all over the place. I've been trying to find a new lifestyle, not a "diet". I don't like being told I can't have something....it makes me want it more. I don't like weighing and measuring....it makes eating feel like a science project. I don't want to count "points" either.
I do like to read labels though, and I do want to know what is going into my body. I don't want to pay extra for "diet" foods like fat free cheese and sour cream, nor do I want to eat these "foods". They taste gross and if something tastes like plastic, it can't be good for you can it?

I joined WW, hoping to get a little more structure and support in my life. I fell in love with the members on the first day (it's more like a senior citizen meeting!) and I want to keep going. I just don't want to follow the plan. I don't like it. It's too much work for me. I like the core plan's approach of learning when you are full or hungry. I think that is what appealed to me the most. I think that's what inspired me to research intuitive eating and low density foods. I couldn't help but laugh after doing all the research, because my little italian grandmother (who lived to be 91) was a gourmet cook and lived this lifestyle her whole life! Her favorite thing was to cook gourmet meals and her favorite saying was...."everything in moderation!" She would prepare course after course on Sunday, but only eat a small portion of each. Each meal ended with a last course of fruit, nuts, some kind of dessert and black coffee (with sambuca added). She was never fat, nor was she skinny...she was just right.

All my years of dieting, and I'm right back to Grandma Lucy's sage advice..."Everything in Moderation!"

I think this is going to be the approach for me.
missingmyerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 08:38 AM   #291  

Missingmyerica - Welcome. I think that your grandma was so right. I think it is kind of funny because my Grandma Diane does the exact same thing. She has always been small (not skinny) and she eats when she is hungry and never heaping plates. And her meals were always delicious.

I find that i do the best when i give myself options. I like options in other areas of life to. I love to draw and right and i love to have a good selection of pens and colors. LOL So i am trying to give myself options in what i eat.
CherryAutumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 09:17 AM   #292  

MIssingmyerica, My mom was the same way........lived to be 90 and a moderate person. I think you would enjoy the link I posted above. I haven't even taken the time to fully explore it but I looked at it and it looked interesting. CherryAutumn, talking about art made me think of my sewing experience. I sewed a dress for my daughter the other day while she and her DH painted my kitchen. It took me all day but I was hardly hungry . ha!
Old 11-28-2007, 05:18 PM   #293  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

Height: 5'5

'ello everyone. Just thought I'd drop in and say 'ello.

so, 'ello.

I found a great way to lose weight and I thought I"d share. It's called, BEING BROKE. haha, we used to eat out most of the week, now we are so in debt and we're putting all our money on paying off our credit cards. We eat healthy dinners at home almost every night and go out maybe once or twice a week if that. I lost 15 lbs when we first started eating at home without even really trying. NOW of course, I'm putting some effort forth. I'm home alone all day and find myself eating out of boredom.

So I'm watching that. Made a huge pot of veggie soup to eat during the afternoons/evenings so I'm not pigging out on junk food. Also, only eating when I'm absolutely sure I'm actually hungry.

lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 08:03 PM   #294  

Hi Lottie. We don't eat out much because we are about a half an hour from good restaraunts and even fast food. Maybe that's good. I stay home all day, too, and find it hard not to snack. Today I sliced and orange in the afternoon and that was a victory for me. I have one teenage daughter still at home who loves snack type food. She is the youngest of 10.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:04 AM   #295  

I have been so down and unmotivated. I am afraid i will just keep gaining and gaining. I don't know what to do with myself. I feel like i have no control or will power. What have you ladies used as motivation and does it work?
CherryAutumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 10:10 AM   #296  

Going on another diet is enough motivation for me. Whenever I do that I always gain back whatever I lost right away and feel terrible. Then I level off and start losing slowly again and wonder whatever posessed me to go on another diet......less than a month ago it was because I was going to see some of my high school friends that I hadn't seen in 20 to 40 yr. ha!
Old 11-29-2007, 01:30 PM   #297  
breakfast rebel

Height: 5' 4.5"

Welcome, Missingmyerica and Lottie!
CherryAutumn - I am sorry you are feeling down. Good question about motivation. I have gone through very long periods of non-motivation. Like YEARS. I think I am just coming out of one of those periods now. I've been going to the fitness center, and reading a lot about weight training, pilates, and nutrition. If I give myself the appropriate inputs it helps me. I really am influenced by my environment, more than I like to admit, so I am trying to make it so that my environment is motivational. I just bought a new vegan cookbook with pretty pictures in it. The pretty pictures of nutritious foods help me to think in the right direction, even though I have not yet made any of the recipes. 3fc helps too; seeing so many other people focused on health. I guess I am trying to feed my head appropriately.
Spinymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 11:07 AM   #298  

Jo, how's the challenge with Fiddler going?
Old 11-30-2007, 11:59 AM   #299  
breakfast rebel

Height: 5' 4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolr3639 View Post
Jo, how's the challenge with Fiddler going?
I have lost zero weight/inches. So I guess I need to save up my money for New Years! Either that or hope for a miracle!
Spinymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 12:21 PM   #300  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Hi,

I am 64 years old and been dieting off and on since my early 20's. I was thin for the first 22 years of my life. Didn't eat unless I was hungry. Then everyone fussed at me because I didn't eat enough. I hated eating breakfast, but was pushed into eating it because "It is the most important meal of the day" you know. I actually learned to eat "normal" and gained all this weight and I am so tired of diets. I lose and gain. Got back to 150 lb once just eating when I was hungry. When I mentioned on another group here that I was thinking about just not dieting any more and just eating only when I was hungry, someone mentioned Intuitive Eating. I've never heard of it until today. Then I found you here. I am curious to learn if any one else is on this group that is around my age doing this and does it really work?

I have read some of your posts and I feel the same way many of you do. I just don't want any more of this "can't have this; can't have that"... "have to eat this and have to eat that". Tried WW, but they say you have to eat all the points. Some days I didn't want ALL THE POINTS!!!! I just don't think you should force yourself to eat when you don't want it and most diets say you have to eat what is on their plans.

Sorry this is so long. I'm just desparate. I need to lose, but I need a new way without having to eat all the food they say you have to eat. The only time I've ever really lost weight and felt good was when I ate less food. I know they think I cheat even had a doctor accuse me of it, but gain weight instead of lose when I follow their plans and eat all the food they say I have to eat. Thanks for your help.
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote