Old 10-04-2007, 11:31 AM   #196  

S/C/G: Size 24/Size 20/Size 8

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolr3639 View Post
Should have asked you, Jo and Fiddler, what you are doing to achieve your goal.....different from what you already do, I mean. Thanks.
Mostly just getting back in the gym more and adjusting what I eat a little.

Unlike the people who believe a calorie is a calorie is a calorie, I believe what you eat does make a difference, and there is plenty of scientific research to support that. For example, having high levels of calcium in your diet decreases the amount of fat that is absorbed by your digestive tract by a significant amount.

Hope everyone is having a great day!
fiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 11:36 AM   #197  
breakfast rebel

Height: 5' 4.5"

How could I have been offended?
Speaking of eating like a mouse, wait till I show you all the Halloween costume I have planned.
Spinymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 11:43 PM   #198  
breakfast rebel

Hi IE Pals,
I decided to post a bit of minutia, but I think it is an example of IE.
A couple weeks ago I bought some very thin corn tortillas. I noticed on the nutritional info that each tortilla had 50 calories.

A couple of days ago I bought some hand-rolled corn tortillas. They were about the same diameter but thicker and heavier. I noticed on the nutritional info that each tortilla had 100 calories.

A couple weeks ago, using the flimsy tortillas, I'd put some homemade bean glop and some goat cheese in between two tortillas. I'd eat the thing and be satisfied.

This week, I put the bean glop and cheese in between two of the thicker corn tortillas. By the way, these thicker, handmade ones were much more tasty. But I was satisfied after eating only half the thing and then I'd either put the rest away for another meal or push it away until it became unappetizing and then I'd throw it away.

My point is that, my body knew in each case how much was sufficient.

I don't understand the concept of people trying to fool themselves by plate appearance or thinly sliced things, or filled-with-air things that make it look like you are eating more, or putting things on a smaller plate, etc. Your body knows how much it is getting. If it's a half of a circle of a thing on your plate or a whole thinner circle of a thing, your body knows. Your satisfaction is not dependent on an optical illusion! And besides how can you really "fool yourself" anyway, if you know what kind of "trick" you are trying to use??

I like IE - no tricks.
jo

Last edited by Spinymouse; 10-04-2007 at 11:47 PM.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:09 AM   #199  

Fiddler, I should be skinnier than a rail because I fight high blood calcium all the time. ha! It goes along with sarcoidosis. I know what you mean, Jo, by trying to fool oneself. Recently, however, I've been trying to get in more fruits and veggies as I kind of slip up there sometimes. I now make veggie sandwiches. I've tried a few low carb regimines but I just love bread and it never works. I guess naturally, I'm not a big meat eater. But my dh loves meat so there has to be a compromise. I don't always eat what he eats.
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 10:26 AM   #200  

Quote:
Fiddler, I should be skinnier than a rail because I fight high blood calcium all the time.
It's not the calcium levels in your blood that make a difference in fat absorption--it's the ones in your digestive tract. The calcium actually binds to fat and causes it to be excreted instead of absorbed.

Here's an article if you're interested: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/504951_4

Last edited by fiddler; 10-05-2007 at 10:29 AM.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:08 PM   #201  

No wonder I can't lose weight! I don't eat calcium foods. Just kidding.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:02 AM   #202  

An update on the bet between Spinymouse and myself:

I did pretty well last week. Walked 10 miles, spent 3.5 hours in the gym doing circuit training, and ate sensibly. My clothes seem a little looser this week, but I have gone back to not weighing so I don't know if I lost any pounds.

However, I went and bought a pair of size 12 jeans on Saturday, and I can't get them over my hips/butt, so Jo might not have to worry yet....

I also got rid of all the white rice in my house. Not because of any diehard health principles, just because I realized that I always use brown rice, and having the white version and the brown version of every kind of rice I use is taking up a lot of space in the kitchen.

Hope everyone has a great day
Old 10-10-2007, 10:00 AM   #203  

Fiddler, I often see recipes for basamati rice written by health conscious people. I have tried it and like it. I guess you can get both white and brown basamati but I have never seen the brown basamati in a store. Have you used it? With cooler weather coming on now my appetite seems to increase. Still have some weight to lose, though.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:36 AM   #204  
breakfast rebel

Sounds like Fiddler is getting the head start on our contest right now, thanks to my beer, but I will catch up!!

Anyway. I have decided what IE means to me is to get back to how I felt as a kid. I ate as much as I wanted, of course. But unlike many adults would define that, "as much as I wanted" meant not very much at all.
I had a stupid dream last night, about Alpha-Bits. I can't believe it but in the dream I remembered exactly what Alpha-Bits tasted like, (nasty!) and I have not been made to eat such a thing since I was about 5 years old. (I have a very good childhood memory and can remember back when I was less than 2.) But I was one of those kids that didn't want to eat much, and this was to the dismay and exasperation of my mother. Part of the reason I didn't want to eat much is because I didn't need to! Why couldn't my mother get that? The other part is, geez, mom, you're giving me Alpha-Bits, for Pete's sake, and who wants to eat Alpha-Bits??? Some gimmick designed to get kids to eat food, who would not have any problem eating real food when their bodies needed it, but the idea of being forced to eat Alpha-Bits is pretty pathetic.

Can't believe I dreamed about it though.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:32 PM   #205  

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolr3639 View Post
Fiddler, I often see recipes for basamati rice written by health conscious people. I have tried it and like it. I guess you can get both white and brown basamati but I have never seen the brown basamati in a store. Have you used it? With cooler weather coming on now my appetite seems to increase. Still have some weight to lose, though.

Check your local health food store. Brown basmati is not that uncommon, so if they are decently stocked they should have it. If all else fails, you can buy it on Amazon.com, but I imagine the shipping might be a little pricey. http://www.amazon.com/Rice-Brown-Bas.../dp/B0000CEQ9T

Another one I use a lot of is brown jasmine. Again, you should be able to find it at your local health food store. But if not, you can buy it from ImportFood.com, as well as black, red, and some other types of rice.

I'm still looking for a place that sells brown arborio rice to make risotto with. Not having any luck with that
Old 10-11-2007, 06:54 AM   #206  

Jo, Your post made me laugh! My mom had so much trouble getting me to eat breakfast that she let me eat ice cream with cereal!!! For years when I was young I ate bananas with cream! Most of the time I just drank orange juice. FINALLY, in high school, she let me eat nonbreakfast foods like vegetable soup and sandwiches. Then I started to eat breakfast. Of course, I always wanted to sleep late like most teenagers so sometimes it was just orange juice!!!! I look back at those carefree days of hardly ever thinking about food. I had a chubby period around age 10 but I grew 5 in. between the 6th and 7th grade and was quite skinny until I started to have kids. Then it seemed it was 5 lb per kid, ha! I can see now that starting to diet was the beginning of my problems.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:17 AM   #207  
300+ Chick

Hello Ladies,

I had posted last night of my success so far on this method in 300+ thread but no repsonses of what I want to hear. You can check my story on there ,,the title I posted called " Doing Great..I Think..Need Input".

Thank you caroler for the great articles you provide on this special method..

I had been a lurker and reading this thread this past summer. I have Overcoming Overeating book, which it is a Godsend. Since the Summer, gave up my addiction to the whole dieting process. I wanted to break free from the diet/binge vicious cycle.

I am doing great and will continue on this method..It is working for me and seeing great results on the scale and most of all.. I feel lighter and have energy. It feels wonderful and I am truly blessed that am leading this method on getting in shape and stay healthy!!!

Have a great one and Keep eating Mindfully!!
Liliann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 02:34 PM   #208  

Liliann, Things have been kind of slow around here lately so hope you post often. Another good book I haven't read but am considering buying is Beyond Chocolate. It is written by 2 ladies from the UK and they have a website and a free newsletter. Just google the title of the book.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:28 PM   #209  
breakfast rebel

Hi Lilliann
I looked up your post on the other board. You must be doing something great because it's working for you! I like the concept of mindful eating. Everything I have heard about IE has that as a key point. I also recommend the book: The Yoga Of Eating. (It's not about doing yoga.) It's very much about mindful eating.

Well, Pals - I'll be absent till late Sunday or Monday; I am going to a women's retreat (yoga, meditation, relaxation) up near Yosemite. Vegan weekend, music, and "drum" was on the list of stuff to bring if that gives you a picture. I'm excited but I can't find half of the stuff I want to bring! Where did my nice soft brand new yoga pants go????!!!!

Fiddler: yoga. vegetables. hiking. no beer. think of the damage this could do to your current lead in the contest.

Back later, have a great weekend everyone!
jo
Old 10-12-2007, 09:40 AM   #210  

S/C/G: 200/200/140

Height: 5 feet 6 inches

Default Ok, Im done

Im new to this board and I have just had it with counting points, calories, carbs, etc. I have dieted my way up the scale and with all my efforts I cant pull it off.

If I can just share "the last straw" moment I had yesterday.... There has been a cheesecake in the fridge at work for 2 days now. The girl who bought it in said someone brought it to her house but she "doesnt like dessert" and it was all I could do not to slap her!
Anyway, I had all my foods lined up for the day..all counted out..no room for error...eatting if i was hungry or not...casue thats the rules. I didnt expect to be battling cheesecake that particular day. So I thought about it all day long...but it was calling me. I finally decided just to have a forkful, and thank Gawd I was so busy at work i didnt have time for more. I go in yesterday and the darned thing is still there...and i think to myself "comeon people! someone eat this thing or at least drop it on the floor!!" So i spend a second day obsessing over it and until im sneaking it out of the fridge again hoping im not seen...casue after all....everyone knows im dieting.

So, Im done running on this dieting treadmill only to be spun off and smacked in into the wall behind me *SPLAT*

I bought the IE book....but years back (like 10 or more) there was a similar thing i had tried with the same basic idea called Beyond dieting by Nancy Bonios. I loved that she had put a seminar out on video. I lost it some years back, and by lost I mean prolly threw it out when getting hooked on some diet . I found a set of it on amazon....the video and the cassete tapes (yes cassets, thats how old it is...now i gotta try and find a casstte player, it might as well be on 8track)

So....im going to try very hard with IE so I dont drive myself crazy and maybe can set a good example for my daughter

Thanks for listening
Tigerseye is offline   Reply With Quote