Old 07-01-2007, 12:13 AM   #46  
Intuituve Eater

S/C/G: 378/378/320

Height: 5'7

Talking

Sorry to hear about the rough time Carol. I am completely with you. I have learned I want what I want and substitutes just don't do it. I chalk that up to life...would it have been ok to maybe make one at home or was it the whole eating something you didn't have to cook?

Ok, so normally I am not pressed about goals and making a certain wait by a certain time, but I realize I have a patten of about 3 weeks on and a week to a week and a half off. so my goal for july is to stick to my "plan" for a whole month. Exercise when I am supposed to and stick to my IE.

I think I needed to type that to make it more real

Went shopping for my trip and I am ok in the 22/24. Nothing was too small or tight. I didn't buy much since I am still trying to lose more weight.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolr3639 View Post
I had a rough day IE wise yesterday. I had a good breakfast and a half a banana snack and then we went shopping. My daughter took longer than ususal in one store so that by the time we finished with grocery shopping we were really hungry......about 3:30pm. We always go to McDonald's drive threw........I love hamburgers and it's only once a week.......my one time not to cook. We got happy meals and a cone to split. By the time we finished the cone we were about 5 mi. away and I realized that they had given me nuggets instead of a hamburger. When we got home I just kept searching for something to satisfy my hunger......pretzels, a couple bites of stir fry, a couple oreos.........just couldn't find what I wanted and felt awful. Then I ate a really small dinner and woke at 4am and couldn't go back to sleep because of hunger. I think maybe the prednisone isn't helping again (just recently had to up it again) but I'm trying to get around it. I do a lot of cooking for a lot of people so my one time out a week was kind of disappointing. Hope today is better. It's my youngest daugher's 17th bday and my son is bringing up his boat to take her and the family on the Mississippi.

Last edited by Obsidianbbw; 07-01-2007 at 05:48 PM.
Obsidianbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 04:44 PM   #47  

Yeah, Obie, it was the whole thing of not having to cook. ha! I felt really bad for reacting that way but now I know I am just letting myself get too hungry. The Un-Dieting book by Jackie Jaye Brandt is good. I'm rereading The Overfed Head, too, just to remind myself that dieting doesn't work....I mean after 30 yr you'd think I wouldn't have to keep reminding myself, right? I was talking today to my DIL who was really skinny before kids. We were saying if we could just bottle that before kids what ever it was that kept us skinny we'd be very well off in more ways than one.
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 05:53 PM   #48  
Intuituve Eater

Talking

Obie the IE scientist continues. So I got up worked out. It was 60 min of pilates and I did the beginner part since I am just starting...anyway I wasn't that hungry afterwards so I decided I wasn't ready to eat and needed to do some stuff out and about. I got hungry mid way through, but there was nothing near by I wanted so I waited...and waited. I think I got up to about to a 5 or 6. By the time I ate and I was ok. I had a foot long subway sandwich since I had another 2 hours before I went home and I wasn't stuffed just satisfied. I doubt I will do more then snack for the rest of the day...one of those holds me for a long while. In the old days I could have had 2-3 a day

Anyway, Day One of being on plan.
Old 07-02-2007, 05:57 PM   #49  

I like that scientist idea. Let me know what you discover!!! Great day today. Of course, I'm at home and able to eat when hungry. That makes a big difference. We're going to Alaska to visit our son next Mon., Lord willing. He's got all sorts of things planned. I think he feels a little lonely up there. He has committed to 3 yr. in the Army Corps of Engineers there. He's been working for them for about 4 yr. It's a six hr. plane trip. But to drive there would take a week. Hope the garden survives while we're gone. You're trip is coming up right, Obie?
Old 07-03-2007, 05:10 PM   #50  
having Senior Moments

S/C/G: 265/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

May I join you all? I first read "Overcoming Overeating" when it came out in the late 80's. I have played with IE occasionally, but never really committed to it fully. I'm in my 60's and have been "dieting" since I was 9 yrs old. I have been so miserable last 18 months trying to lose weight, binging, and generally making myself sick at heart with it all. I work with a therapist on my eating issues, and I said to her that I think I'm ready to stop dieting and go to IE. She said "do it", so I got my book out again and am working on it. At my age, I decided I don't care any more whether I'm thin or not. I just want to like myself, not feel restricted, and enjoy life. I tossed my scale (well really just had my grandkids hide it somewhere in the garage), I don't even know what my weight is at this point. I will only weigh when I go to dr. Went to the store and got some of my "comfort" foods, and am working hard at doing it. I live alone for the first time in my life, so I don't have to conform to anyone else's eating habits, and don't have to explain myself to anyone. I would love to have someone to talk to who understands the concept.
soiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 09:50 PM   #51  

Welcome Jerie, There are a lot of good books on IE and each seems to address a different aspect of the idea. It is really hard after years of dieting. If you read all the posts here and in the 4 other threads that came before you will get the idea. We all have different things to work on and like to share ideas. I'm 58 so not far behind you but I have a DH and 10 kids.....only 2 at home this summer.......to cook for. Seems like someone is always coming for a meal. Lately, I've been impressed with the fact that even though I might want to start another diet, when I read what they want you to do I think, "I just can't do that." ha!
Old 07-03-2007, 11:15 PM   #52  
breakfast rebel

Height: 5' 4.5"

Hi Jerie -
I'm looking forward to getting to know you!
I like what you said about not having to explain yourself to anyone! As a loner I can identify with that full blast! It is one of the advantages of being alone, and as far as food is concerned that can definitely be a big advantage. You can just be independent and listen to your inner self, instead of thinking it's time for steak for Theobold or whoever. I like your Buddhist expression too.
I'm 50, single, no kids, hermitizing.
Welcome!
jo
Spinymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 09:06 AM   #53  
Intuituve Eater

Talking

Welcome jerie, hope you stay a while.

I am a little sleepy no deep thought. Ex is visiting......no idea what we are doing these days. When to see Transformers last night so ate a little more than I planned, but was satisfied. Skipping workout today...its a holiday dang it.

Hope everyone has a wonderful 4th.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:55 AM   #54  

Hey , Jo. Can you believe that deep down I'm really a loner, too, and with a DH and 10 kids? How did that happen? ha! Well, I've always really loved kids and still do but I have a special bond with my own kids. When it comes to talking, I'd rather listen but if I know someone is a real gabber I'll try to sneak away. I know, I'm wierd. We had a huge storm last night with tennis ball size hail. Didn't last long but put a few dents in some of the vehicles. Only one vehicle is in the garage right now because the old hot tub (waiting to be picked up by DS) is still sitting on one side. UGH! My one son tried to move some of the cars under trees to get them out of the hail but one slipped out of gear and started to go over a hill! He managed to save it before it was to late. Sure scared everyone.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:04 AM   #55  
breakfast rebel

Height: 5' 4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolr3639 View Post
and 10 kids? How did that happen?
Carol - someday when you are a little older, we will tell you about the Birds and the Bees.
Spinymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 10:38 AM   #56  
having Senior Moments

Thanks ladies for the welcome. I already feel at home here. I didn't used to be a loner, this is a relatively recent concept for me. I'm divorced, & I have 2 sons, and 5 granddaughters that I see a lot of. I took care of my mom in my home for many many years & she died 18 mos ago. That was really the first time I had ever lived alone in all my life. It was unimaginably hard to get used to being alone. But now I mostly love it.

Jo - I know what you mean by hermitizing. I do that too, but it's more a weather thing. I live in the desert & It's in the 100-teens every day now. I don't poke my head out for much and never in the daytime. Good thing I'm retired and don't HAVE to go out unless I want to. Carol - sounds like a wicked storm. Glad you didn't have any more damage than that.

Have a wonderful 4th everyone. I, for one, will be staying in where it's cool.
Old 07-04-2007, 06:13 PM   #57  

Jo, I've heard that line before. ha! Jerie, my mom lived with me for about a year and a half before she died last Aug. She was nearly 91. She took care of herself in an apt. near me until then. I never realized how much I would miss her. Today I had an epiphany......or whatever you call it. When I go grocery shopping I can't help but notice all those magazines that say things like "lose 20lb in a week" or "lose 100 lb in 90 days". Why do I still kind of believe it might happen, after 30 yr. of trying no less? I guess it sells magazines. I didn't buy one!
Old 07-05-2007, 10:02 AM   #58  
having Senior Moments

Morning all. I didn't do too well at letting myself get hungry yesterday - I was busy feeling sorry for myself. That's my biggest problem, eating emotions. Do any of you have that problem? How do you get back to waiting for hunger when you are in the midst of that? I did pretty well about not dumping on myself for doing it, so I guess that's progress.

Carol, I hear you on those magazines. I am the same way about wanting to believe it will happen. I have to keep telling myself 'diets don't work'. Well...they do work for me - I always GAIN weight with them. Where in AK are you going to visit your son? I love Alaska, it's such a beautiful place. I had a cousin who taught school and lived there from the early 60's. She was married to a native so it was nice to visit them and get to go to "non-tourist" places.

Hope everyone has a good day.
Old 07-05-2007, 12:43 PM   #59  

Jerie, My son lives in AK but we are renting an RV for 8 days and going all over. I'm not much of a traveler and I saw on Accuweather that it is to rain there for a lot of the time we'll be there. Should be really interesting.
Old 07-05-2007, 12:43 PM   #60  

Sorry about that..........should have been Anchorage, AK.