Old 03-29-2007, 11:47 AM   #196  

Welcome, Bunna. I'm 58 and have 10 children. My dh is a veterinarian and we live on a farm and have beef cows and golden retriever pups for sale.
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 11:49 AM   #197  

Hey, Obi. You posted almost the same time as I did! I know what you mean about the exercise. Boy, this week I feel like a slug but then it is raining nearly every day and I am not big on indoor exercise.
Old 03-29-2007, 03:45 PM   #198  
Bunnababy

S/C/G: 294/261/150

Okay, so I did this nice long post to everyone and for some reason it said I wasn't logged in even though it showed I was. Computer glitch somewhere.

2fru: Don't be too hard on yourself for yesterday. Today is a new day and you will do fine.

Carol: 10 kids, WOW! I am guessing some of them are still home? I loved living on a farm when my kids were younger. Now we only have two acres and a good portion of it is wooded and the neighborhood doesn't allow livestock animals. That's what I told dh when he wanted to get a pot-bellied pig but now I want a miniature horse. I, too, need God's help in this weight issue.

Obi: Thanks for the direction the other day, otherwise I would not have found you guys.

Yesterday went pretty well. It was nice to enjoy birthday cake without feeling like I was off plan for a change. I did buy the slow churned 1/2 fat ice cream and it was really good. I am working on getting water down this week and that is the one thing I want to change this week. At TOPS we were talking about how we try to change our whole entire eating world in one day and then we wonder why we fail at it. So just the water this week. Talk to you all later and have a wonderful day.
Bunnababy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 06:06 PM   #199  

Hi Bunna, My daughter is from Portland. We were there in Jan.
Old 03-30-2007, 05:14 AM   #200  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

OMG Carol! 10 KIDS! OMG!!!!! You poor lady, you! Just kidding... Were you going for a whole football team?

Bunna - thanks for the hug! Also isn't it a great feeling actually ENJOYING cake and not feeling at all guilty about it??? :

Well I did super yesterday I went to the gym and did my full weights routine. I ate when I was hungry, I had a fairly decent and filling lunch which kept me full right through until after my 2 hours of kickboxing. I was going to get some Jaffa Cakes out of the vending machine between classes, but I got down there and thought, "Nope, not really that hungry yet." and I had taken a rice pudding snack with me and I didn't want that either. But I got home and had a fairly big dinner. A big dinner made up of little things! First off I had a fried egg with mushrooms and toast, then I was still hungry, so I had the rice pudding snack that I took to training, then a banana, then a cracker and some chocolate raisins! But I didn't over eat at all

I think I twigged something with the chocolate raisins. They can be something of a trigger food for me. And I was having a small handfull last night and was just about to pour them all in my mouth, when I thought, "Hang on a minute... ENJOY them! DUHHHHHH!" So I ate them one at a time and was reasonably satisfied! Of course they don't taste as good individually as a whole mouthful of them, but they are more satisfying. Go figure!

Today I've got the gym planned after work, then I might make this sweet potato custard recipe I got from s.park.peopl.e (it usually gets starred out if you mention it, since we were spammed by some members a while ago. I don't visit the site, but I do get their newsletter). I've also got some quorn escalopes with cranberry and brie on them... I'm really tempted to have the last one for dinner, but I know DH likes them, and it seems a bit mean of me to eat his veggie stuff! I think I might have salmon and sweet potato fries or something, that would be nice DH objects since I stink the house out with salmon but he's just gonna have to live with it!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 10:54 AM   #201  

2 frus, Way to go on your good day. It's seems English people eat different than Americans. Anyway, your food at least sounds different. Maybe we just call things different names.......like quorn escalopes. I did make some baked sweet potato fries the other day for the first time and I like them. I still have company so I am doing more cooking than ususal.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:57 AM   #202  

I should explain the more cooking. Because of the big family, I basically started making bk, then letting each make their own lunch since they all wanted somthing different, and lastly, making a big sit down dinner. My dh doesn't like bk and my girls would rather sleep in so I don't usually make bk unless I have company and then I do lunch, too. So when it's just me, dh and dd I usually just make dinner. The boys always wanted a big bk but the last boy went to college this year so that ended.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:01 AM   #203  
aka Superwoman!

Quorn escalopes...

Well quorn is just textured vegetable protein, like morningstar burgers etc... And I think escalope is just a name for a cut of chicken or turkey breast and it's usually coated in breadcrumbs. So these are fake chicken/turkey breasts with cranberries and brie on the top covered in breadcrumbs
Old 03-31-2007, 12:10 PM   #204  

I had a pretty good day yesterday until company came over after a meeting. I wasn't going to eat.....it was late......but we sat and talked and I finally ate. Well, today is another day and I have decided that when I eat I will take just a little of what I want and see if that is really it. Sometimes I want something sweet and something salty so if I have a little bit I can maybe have more of a variety of things. It's amazing how just a couple of bites of something can satisfy. This IE thing really does take some investigation.
Old 03-31-2007, 01:32 PM   #205  
Bunnababy

S/C/G: 294/261/150

Good morning.

You are right IE takes some time to get the hang of. When I did it before I actually gained some to start with because all of the sudden chocolate chip cookies with nuts were legal. Oooppps I also think that with all of the dieting we lose touch with what our bodies really want or need. My eating is also stress related. I say I am an emotional eater but I really only stuff the food in when I am uncomfortable with negative feelings.

Yesterday I did pretty good but gave in and had a diet cola. I didn't enjoy it that much and didn't finish it either so that is a good sign. My goal for this week's change is to get enough water down and I know I didn't do that yesterday. Got on the scale this morning and am showing another 1.5 lb gain, this is not good because I haven't been eating much the last couple of days since the birthday party.

One of the problems I am having with even the intuitive eating is that I need to not eat sugar, white flour, or artificial sweetners, and that sounds so restrictive to me I am having problems with it. But today is another day and I have overs. So no more and move ahead.

Everyone have a wonderful day
Bunnababy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 12:51 AM   #206  

Hi Everyone,

It has been ages since I checked in. I've been plodding along with Overcoming Overeating approach, but I wish someone else was doing exactly the same thing. I suppose it would make me feel less crazy. Whenever I try to talk to anyone about this, they inevitably turn the conversation to dieting.

I joined Curves a few weeks ago and am really enjoying it. I have no clue what I weigh or if I am up or down, as I don't look and I don't let anyone (doctor, Curves lady) tell me what I weigh. Last time I took a peek at a scale it threw me into a tail spin.

Curves is good fun though, so easy and quick. It helps me stay focused on not doing the same old thing and to put thought into what I am doing.

We had moved last year and we've really had to put a lot into the house. Some remodeling and a lot of repairs means spending a lot of money. It also means a lot of mess and general disorder, which I do not like.

I notice that when money is a topic I do a lot of emotional eating. I get scared and it shows in my eating. Eat now for when is the next time you will get German food, or steak, etc. It is easy to overdo it, and it is easy to fool the mind that I am not sated. In reality sometimes I feel nothing in my gut, like it is completely disconnected from the rest of me!

I've been working for the past several months. It is a temp job that doesn't pay well, but it does help that I have a schedule and that I get dressed everyday. I think I need smaller pants and I've ordered a pair. Once this job ends I need to figure out if I will find "real" work or do something here at home. But with working eight hours a day I find the remaining hours are much more productive.

So I will try to check in here more often. I am glad to see the familiar names still here. I enjoyed the pictures in this thread too!
Wiffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 08:28 AM   #207  
aka Superwoman!

Hello all!

I bought a new book! It's called "Beyond Chocolate" and it's FANTASTIC! It's written by 2 English sisters and boy is it amazing. It's all about loving yourself and throwing the scales away and wearing clothes that fit and listening to what you really want to eat.

There's an exercise in the book that if you have a "forbidden" food that you don't allow in the house because you will eat it all, then buy enough of that food that you couldn't possibly eat in one go. For me it is chocolate digestive biscuits (cookies). They say to buy 30 packets of your food and keep it in plain sight and have some for a meal, but really concentrate on it, savour the flavour and stop when you're satisfied.

Well I was going to stock up on choccy biccies on the way to work, but my bike panniers were full already, so I think I will pop down after I've been to the gym. I'm not going to buy 30 packets, but maybe 5 or 7 packets. Then I'm going to fill my bottom desk drawer with those packets of biscuits and eat choccy biccies for my afternoon snack.

The 10 "rules" of Beyond Chocolate are in my siggy. I think I'm going to struggle with the loving myself bit and the support bit. It suggests in the book going to see a councillor, but I'm really not comfortable with that and I'd have to pay since I'm not clinically depressed so I couldn't get it on the NHS. Well I think I might just blog and journal and see what happens. I know I have some issues that I think I am getting to the bottom of. Stuff about loneliness, control and insecurity.

So today I'm "Tuning In" and journalling when I feel a little bit hungry/uncomfortable in the tummy area.

Anyway, it's about gym time!
Old 04-02-2007, 08:45 AM   #208  

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2frustrated View Post

I bought a new book! It's called "Beyond Chocolate" and it's FANTASTIC! It's written by 2 English sisters and boy is it amazing. It's all about loving yourself and throwing the scales away and wearing clothes that fit and listening to what you really want to eat.

There's an exercise in the book that if you have a "forbidden" food that you don't allow in the house because you will eat it all, then buy enough of that food that you couldn't possibly eat in one go. For me it is chocolate digestive biscuits (cookies). They say to buy 30 packets of your food and keep it in plain sight and have some for a meal, but really concentrate on it, savour the flavour and stop when you're satisfied.
These are a few of the points of "Overcoming Overeating" that I've had a heard time explaining to people or finding anyone who would understand.

Does your book mention that you may well gain weight in the beginning but eventually your body should sort itself out?

I don't weigh and haven't in over a year. While I want to participate in communities like this, it is hard when (1) I don't have success like weight loss to report, since I never weigh and (2) I am supposed to work on accepting me, as I am now and not strive to be something different. Yet, I want to talk to people who understand!

Anyway, I will be looking up your book later today when I have more time. Sounds like a good read!
Wiffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 09:49 AM   #209  
aka Superwoman!

They said throw out the scales!!!! There was no mention of gaining weight in the beginning, in fact weight is a "side effect" rather than THE REASON. Your relationship with food is the thing that is stressed, not do this this this and this and the weight will fall off.

I just bought 5 packets of chocolate digestives. I hadn't even got into the first packet when I hear, "Now Jennifer... What are you eating?" Well I think these are chocolate digestives but I could be wrong. They could be chocolate covered cow pats, or cardboard with felt-tip pen on the top....

You see the food police are out to get me before I even put the first biscuit in my mouth! I did say, "It's a chocolate digestive and I've only got 5 packets of them..." I think she thought I was joking. HA!

Stupid thing is, now I don't want those biccies at all! I've just eaten one and I just don't want them much.
Old 04-02-2007, 04:10 PM   #210  

S/C/G: Size 24/Size 20/Size 8

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiffle View Post
I don't weigh and haven't in over a year. While I want to participate in communities like this, it is hard when (1) I don't have success like weight loss to report, since I never weigh and (2) I am supposed to work on accepting me, as I am now and not strive to be something different. Yet, I want to talk to people who understand!
Wiffle,

I understand where you're coming from. I didn't weigh either until fairly recently. I go to Curves and had them take measurements and weigh me, but I told them not to tell me my weight. So I didn't know what it was until one of them slipped up and accidentally told me. You may have noticed that my starting/current/goal is in sizes instead of pounds.

I don't like weighing, frankly. I don't believe it gives an accurate picture of what is happening with your body, and it teaches you to rely on what an external device says instead of what your own body is telling you. And for me, getting on the scale puts me back into the dieting mentality. I dieted for most of my life and gained massive amounts of weight doing it. Now that I have stopped, I have lost 75+ pounds in the last nine months (I don't know my exact starting weight but I know it is at least that much).

Just because you don't weigh doesn't mean you won't have successes to report. You can report when you can fit into a smaller pair of pants, or the day that 3 people who have never spoken to you before suddenly ask if you've lost weight. There are plenty of successes that have nothing to do with the scale, and personally I think they are the most gratifying ones.

I don't think accepting yourself as you are now means not striving to reach your full potential. I think it means not hating yourself for being overweight, not thinking negative thoughts about your body, and not feeling guilty about eating. There is a big difference between wanting to better yourself and feeling there is something wrong with the way you are.

Feel free to PM me sometime if you want.
fiddler is offline   Reply With Quote