Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 11:28 PM   #196  
Diane on track July 2014

S/C/G: 230/221/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearciuil View Post
! !!!

I managed to take off part of the tip of my finger with the veg peeler last night ... the nurse's aide suggested I soak it in epsom salt tonight, but OMG, it stings!
That is taking "have protein with each meal" a little too literally!
Old 04-22-2014, 07:57 AM   #197  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

Glad to see it appears everyone made it through the holiday unscathed - good job! I made it through traveling with no issues (it was a very quick trip) - planning works!

Enjoying P3 but boy does it keep me full during the day.

Today makes it exactly one year since I started IP and I am just astounded at the weight loss and that I have managed to stick to it. I wouldn't have believed anyone who told me I could do this in March of last year - but it just doesn't seem like it's been that long or that hard to do. I guess we really can do anything we put our minds to!

And, silly me, I'm really hoping for a 2 pound loss at weigh in tomorrow (not likely I don't think) so I can call it 120 pounds in 12 months - nice easy numbers!
Old 04-22-2014, 08:40 AM   #198  

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

Quote:
! !!!

I managed to take off part of the tip of my finger with the veg peeler last night ... the nurse's aide suggested I soak it in epsom salt tonight, but OMG, it stings!
Last spring I did something similar...using a mandolin(new to help me with my planning and cutting ahead) to slice cucumbers and celery thin...only I did not slice top of finger "off" all the way.

...It was still attached and because it was a pretty deep "slice", ended up at the urgent care with stitches and antibiotics for 3 weeks.... Tip of finger is still numb! A reminder of my dedication to planning and getting more than a day's 4 C of veggies ready at once.

Hope you heal fast and well...you may find hitting the salad bar at the local groc every few days a help to buy some ready chopped sliced veggies until you can manage better and get it wet again. So sorry...I feel your pain!

Last edited by 65X65; 04-22-2014 at 08:41 AM.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:44 AM   #199  

Height: 5 '6

Quote:
! !!!

I did the same thing this weekend!! that thing peeled quite a layer off my finger!!! Lots of vegi peeling on this diet... Hope your finger heels fast!
Old 04-22-2014, 10:21 AM   #200  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

Ouch to all of you with finger injuries! Those hurt!
Old 04-22-2014, 10:25 AM   #201  

S/C/G: 297/IP start 270/201/160

Height: 5 foot 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth Ann View Post
Ouch to all of you with finger injuries! Those hurt!
Lots of injuries here trying to stay healthy! I JUST received my spiral vegetable peeler and these stories will, I hope, remind me to be super careful when using it. Thanks for the heads up everyone.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:46 AM   #202  

S/C/G: 193/162/162

Height: 5' 6

Congrats on hitting the 160's Hiker!
Old 04-22-2014, 12:03 PM   #203  

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by schenectady View Post
Lots of injuries here trying to stay healthy! I JUST received my spiral vegetable peeler and these stories will, I hope, remind me to be super careful when using it. Thanks for the heads up everyone.

LOL...after an intense workout...my dh always complains that "....it hurts to be healthy...!" Of course he is over the top with his workouts...I don't punish myself at his level and have not an iota of intention to do that to myself! Moderation works for more than diet management! Good news is now as he observes me in my new lifestyle......he is asking himself (& retorically answering) good questions and I hear him say .." I don't need to punish myself, do I???..." Hmmmn....NO. You do NOT!

Last edited by 65X65; 04-22-2014 at 12:04 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:15 PM   #204  
Started IP 2/13/13

S/C/G: 248/123/123

Height: 5'2"

For the past few weeks, I have been trying to pay attention to where my head is in preparation for maintenance. Have I accepted that I will, from now on, need to eat much more like IP than anything else in order to maintain? -check- Have I made the connection between being the person I want to be, physically, mentally, and emotionally, and eating healthfully? -check- Do I fully realize that food can no longer be the main mode of celebration and special occasions? -check-

Now, today, I caught myself at something . . . I am preparing for an out-of-town guest. She will be staying with us for several days. It is a visit I am very much looking forward to and the guest is my precious auntie. She has been through a lot recently and is in dire need of some pampering. Anyway, I sat down to plan meals and make a grocery list. When I was finished, I realized that I had planned 2 different menus: one for me and one for everyone else. I planned to make my special "Christmas" lasagna for her and cinnamon rolls for breakfast, etc. (She has no weight issues and is a runner. She eats in a portion-controlled way and is a very healthy weight.) Anyway, is this a red flag? It seems to suggest that I have not integrated low carb (let along IP) food into my idea of celebratory or "special" food, especially for others. My husband and son often eat what I eat for dinner, but often do not. It works for us. But, in the context of this visit, I can't seem to bring myself to serve her salad w/ grilled chicken and then beef with roasted cauliflower . . . it just doesn't seem like "company" food. Is this a bad sign for me? I can't go the rest of my life eating differently from everyone all the time . . . can I?

I just needed to write this out -- try to sort through it some . . . any thoughts are appreciated. Back to my "company-is-coming cleaning frenzy."
Old 04-22-2014, 01:40 PM   #205  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylviesGirl View Post
For the past few weeks, I have been trying to pay attention to where my head is in preparation for maintenance. Have I accepted that I will, from now on, need to eat much more like IP than anything else in order to maintain? -check- Have I made the connection between being the person I want to be, physically, mentally, and emotionally, and eating healthfully? -check- Do I fully realize that food can no longer be the main mode of celebration and special occasions? -check-

Now, today, I caught myself at something . . . I am preparing for an out-of-town guest. She will be staying with us for several days. It is a visit I am very much looking forward to and the guest is my precious auntie. She has been through a lot recently and is in dire need of some pampering. Anyway, I sat down to plan meals and make a grocery list. When I was finished, I realized that I had planned 2 different menus: one for me and one for everyone else. I planned to make my special "Christmas" lasagna for her and cinnamon rolls for breakfast, etc. (She has no weight issues and is a runner. She eats in a portion-controlled way and is a very healthy weight.) Anyway, is this a red flag? It seems to suggest that I have not integrated low carb (let along IP) food into my idea of celebratory or "special" food, especially for others. My husband and son often eat what I eat for dinner, but often do not. It works for us. But, in the context of this visit, I can't seem to bring myself to serve her salad w/ grilled chicken and then beef with roasted cauliflower . . . it just doesn't seem like "company" food. Is this a bad sign for me? I can't go the rest of my life eating differently from everyone all the time . . . can I?

I just needed to write this out -- try to sort through it some . . . any thoughts are appreciated. Back to my "company-is-coming cleaning frenzy."
My DH and I realized when we had out-of-town guests that we don't keep snack foods in the house anymore. Our guests wanted them & we ended up walking to the store to get some. We've learned we can exist on 3 meals if the 3 meals are sufficient. However, requiring everyone else to do what I do is not expected. Unfortunately, it was just something we hadn't thought of! Oops!

We have more company this weekend. I'll make sure there are snacks...veggies & some dips (non-IP - that I can send home with them). DH usually keeps nuts around, as well, so that will probably suffice.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:05 PM   #206  
Diane on track July 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylviesGirl View Post
My husband and son often eat what I eat for dinner, but often do not. It works for us. But, in the context of this visit, I can't seem to bring myself to serve her salad w/ grilled chicken and then beef with roasted cauliflower . . . it just doesn't seem like "company" food. Is this a bad sign for me? I can't go the rest of my life eating differently from everyone all the time . . . can I?

First of all your dear auntie loves YOU and is there to visit you, not be fed.

Second, she will be so proud of your changes and will want to see how you're eating.

Third, as a guest I would feel badly if I saw someone making me a special something and cooking differently for themselves -- like I was making more work for my host

Fourth, I would LOVE to have grilled chicken and vegs or beef and roasted cauliflower. Pasta is cheap. Someone cooking up good meat and fresh veggies is not cheaping out. We had company and they all wanted my recipe for my roasted veggies. I made zuchinni chips and the next time they came, they brought me a "mandolin" they never used because they saw that I was the only person they knew who went to the trouble to thinly slice veggies by hand -- mandolin WAY easier.

Fifth -- this is how you cook now. Embrace it. When you're done IP and she visits...guess what? She won't be having pasta and cinnamon buns then either

... wow -- you got a "buck and a half" worth just for asking for two cents

Last edited by IP43; 04-22-2014 at 08:08 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:27 PM   #207  
IP Feb 2014, P4 Oct 15/14

S/C/G: 249/155/160

Height: 5'4"

My husband has just joined me using alternatives. I'm finding meals to be overwhelming now. We like different veggies and the kids like none and are eating completely different so now I feel like I am making three meals for dinner. My kitchen us a disaster by the time dinner is done! I need to reign things in soon if this is going to work for us over the long haul.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:34 PM   #208  
Diane on track July 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipnDip View Post
My husband has just joined me using alternatives. I'm finding meals to be overwhelming now. We like different veggies and the kids like none and are eating completely different so now I feel like I am making three meals for dinner. My kitchen us a disaster by the time dinner is done! I need to reign things in soon if this is going to work for us over the long haul.
I'm not sure how old your kids are but we're going through the same thing at our house. Hubby wants to do his bowflex plan -- high carb based. My kids barely eat enough so I need to have stuff they will eat. Hubby says "why do you buy cookies -- I'll eat them if they're in the house". I say "Well the kids aren't on a diet and they need lunch snacks. Just say 'no'..." Anyway, I keep cooking my way and they join me or make their own. I will add rice, potatoes or pasta to the meal of salad and meat to meet their "carb needs", but a new veggie or salad won't kill 'em either. Your hubby needs to appreciate how much work this is and either help you out with the veggies, or eat what you cook him. If you need me to have a 'chat' with him, let me know... (... JK... I'm the hugger, remember! LOL)

Last edited by IP43; 04-22-2014 at 08:36 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:06 PM   #209  
Started IP August 14 2013

S/C/G: 216.5/153/155

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
... The more I watch my thin friends eat, the more I notice they either eat pretty healthy or they rarely finish an unhealthy food they ordered. They're usually pretty eager to share what they order and they usually take home uneaten food. I rarely did any of those things. I ordered unhealthy & usually ate it all by myself.
Hi all: I've had work craziness and family visiting...all good but busy! I've missed checking in. Congrats on all the losses, NSVs, smaller sizes, and planning-ahead successes. You all rock!

I had to copy and re-post this because it is so true. I didn't notice it before I started paying attention to my own choices. What I used to see were my friends ordering fries and burgers and rich pastas and desserts and alcohol every time we went out. What I didn't 'see' was what you say here Lisa...they always left food on their plates, shared with the table, or took some home. I NEVER did any of those things. In retrospect as I watch now, sometimes they skip the dessert or the alcohol while not making a big deal of it. My guess is they've had a few indulgences too many that week and know when to cut back. I didn't have that 'gear'.

Now, I have ways to make better choices too - and to recognize that I don't need to go overboard to have a fun night out with friends (and that if I do go overboard, it isn't the beginning of the end). It's still scary but I like knowing that this plan, and maintenance, works.

I'm not sure I'm ever going to be able to consistently order fries/desserts and only take a couple of bites but I can enjoy good choices that are healthier and still delicious and satisfying. It may not always be easy...but it's possible, even probable woohoo!
Old 04-22-2014, 09:53 PM   #210  
IP Feb 2014, P4 Oct 15/14

S/C/G: 249/155/160

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by IP43 View Post
I'm not sure how old your kids are but we're going through the same thing at our house. Hubby wants to do his bowflex plan -- high carb based. My kids barely eat enough so I need to have stuff they will eat. Hubby says "why do you buy cookies -- I'll eat them if they're in the house". I say "Well the kids aren't on a diet and they need lunch snacks. Just say 'no'..." Anyway, I keep cooking my way and they join me or make their own. I will add rice, potatoes or pasta to the meal of salad and meat to meet their "carb needs", but a new veggie or salad won't kill 'em either. Your hubby needs to appreciate how much work this is and either help you out with the veggies, or eat what you cook him. If you need me to have a 'chat' with him, let me know... (... JK... I'm the hugger, remember! LOL)
. Actually my husband will eat anything I put in front of him. Always has as he was raised not to complain. If I don't feed him he only knows how to make cereal and toast! I think I am just worried about him getting bored with his choices and not sticking with the diet. I eat the same lunch everyday. I like the routine. I love salad. I'll eat the same veggie a few nights in a row to useit all up. It was easy when I only needed to focus on my needs. I think I just need to keep it simple for him too unless he requests something different and maybe teach him how to cook a few things! How hard is it to turn on a steamer? And I need to get the kids eating some veggies!! I haven't been the best role model. I have eaten more veg in the last two months than they have probably seen me eat ever.
Closed Thread