Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 03:37 PM   #106  

S/C/G: 289/147.8/150

Height: 5'6"

Ruth Ann: I can relate to a lot of what you're saying...it's so nice to know I'm not alone.

SylviesGirl: Welcome! I've read many of your posts in the daily and you have a great way with words. You're very compassionate and I love your insight.

Dak: Hi!

Carol: Have fun! Hope you get a chance to relax!

Amber: Go for it with the alternatives, we're all here for you.

Lisa:
Old 04-16-2014, 03:52 PM   #107  
Started IP 5/13/13

S/C/G: 185/128/135

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

I love this discussion! It is so nice to know I am not alone in so many of the feelings and anxiety I have had over my new body image, knowing when to phase off, finding my "new" style in an unfamiliar body, how this affects my relationship with DH. So many great comments and posts.

I remember trying to decide on a goal weight and asking DH to please keep me in check if the time came that he felt I needed to phase off. I had so many people asking me, "you're not trying to lose more weight are you!?" Most people had not seen me at a smaller "true" size for my body and I suppose it was a bit shocking to see me shrink down so much. I had an eating disorder in high school and it is a challenge for me to not become a bit obsessive when I try to lose weight. I was "all in" with IP and worried I might not recognize when I had reached a healthy weight/size.

I did accidentally find a way to really see myself as others do. I glanced up at my reflection in a window as I was walking downtown one day. At first glance I didn't realize the reflection was me, there were lots of panes of glass with different angles and such. I thought, that girl is little. That girl was me! It took me a moment to realize that and it felt fantastic! Now, when I see my reflection it makes me smile.

As for looking at old pictures of myself...this is so timely. Just yesterday afternoon I was perusing some old photos on my PC while listening in on a boring work conference call. I found so many pictures of myself when I thought I had looked good. I was so surprised at how large I was in the photos and never realized it at the time. It does make me doubt my judgement as well. I sure wish I had kept a pair of my old pants, so I could compare from time to time. Maybe that's a good reminder and motivator to maintain. I do have a jacket I kept that I loved and figured I could still wear, even if it got a little loose. Well, it is HUGE on me and I guess I should give it up, but maybe that's the thing I'll hang on to for my reminder.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:12 PM   #108  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

It's funny, a sister I haven't seen since I started IP (and who is a little crazy) just asked me yesterday if I was done losing weight. She said she'd been worried about me since she knew I wasn't eating and was afraid I was becoming obsessive about my weight. What? I told her I was eating plenty and in no danger of becoming too thin. Dh and my (mostly as sane as me) sister who lives nearby agree with me and think I'm fine at this weight or even if I go down a bit more.

I set my goal weight based mostly on "I can't imagine weighing 150." I thought about going down to 130 but I feel good now and figure I can always go lower if I decide I need to.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:16 PM   #109  
Started IP 2/13/13

S/C/G: 248/123/123

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealProteinNewbie View Post
Ruth Ann: I can relate to a lot of what you're saying...it's so nice to know I'm not alone.

SylviesGirl: Welcome! I've read many of your posts in the daily and you have a great way with words. You're very compassionate and I love your insight.

Dak: Hi!

Carol: Have fun! Hope you get a chance to relax!

Amber: Go for it with the alternatives, we're all here for you.

Lisa:
How kind of you. Thank you!
Old 04-16-2014, 06:16 PM   #110  

S/C/G: 193/162/162

Height: 5' 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth Ann View Post
It's funny, a sister I haven't seen since I started IP (and who is a little crazy) just asked me yesterday if I was done losing weight. She said she'd been worried about me since she knew I wasn't eating and was afraid I was becoming obsessive about my weight. What? I told her I was eating plenty and in no danger of becoming too thin. Dh and my (mostly as sane as me) sister who lives nearby agree with me and think I'm fine at this weight or even if I go down a bit more.

I set my goal weight based mostly on "I can't imagine weighing 150." I thought about going down to 130 but I feel good now and figure I can always go lower if I decide I need to.
Good for you Ruth Ann! And a person knows when they feel that they are at a healthy weight. Losing weight can bring out the green monster in some people. Most have made positive comments but a couple people don't acknowledge any weight loss and one person asked if I was sick! Lol!!
Old 04-16-2014, 07:12 PM   #111  
Started IP 2/13/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii69 View Post
Good for you Ruth Ann! And a person knows when they feel that they are at a healthy weight. Losing weight can bring out the green monster in some people. Most have made positive comments but a couple people don't acknowledge any weight loss and one person asked if I was sick! Lol!!
Ain't that the truth! One "frenemy" of mine (mother of one of my son's friends), every time she sees me, furrows her brows and puts her hands on her cheeks and pulls down until her lower eyelids are also being pulled down and says, "You are just shrinking!" Never a nice word, never a compliment. Then, once, she asked me, after about the 90#s off mark, "Are you TRYING to lose, or is it just happening?" (Um, if this wasn't intentional, I'd probably be dead by now. duh) But the best one was the most recent . . . now, she is bigger than me now, but not at all the size I used to be. She comes right up and asks me what size I wear now. I politely refused to tell her. She then says, "Because I have all these clothes that I don't wear anymore . . . like 10s and 12s . . . that I was thinking you could use." Now, I was standing there in size 6 pants at the time, so, no, I don't think she meant well. Some people just can't stand it . . .her son is much the same way . . . competitive in the bad way.

People, including myself, get so excited when people start noticing their weight loss, but that was short-lived for me when I realized how few people can serve up a compliment without inadvertently dishing up an insult right along with it. Things like, "You look great . . . and you're moving so much better now."

One neighbor man said to my husband, "You sure are a lucky guy now." To which my sweet husband replied, without skipping a beat, "I've always been a lucky guy." I hear that in my head regularly and I want to hug him every single time.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:27 PM   #112  
Start IP 3rd Jan 2014

S/C/G: 187/141/145

Height: 5'6

Thanks everyone for the lovely support and comments. It truly was an amazing moment to be able to zip up a size eight. SIZE EIGHT!! Just writing it down feels amazing - had to write it down again!

Fabulous discussion today on how we see ourselves and our weight at both the highest we were and where we are now. I've just cleared out some of my closet (if you think this was done in an organized fashion - think again - there's just a massive pile of clothes on the floor!). But the discussion has got me thinking - is it a good idea to save an old pair of jeans to look back on every once in a while and remember how far we've come. Or should we be wiping my hands clean of them now. Would be interested to hear what others have done.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:41 PM   #113  
Just Do It, Mom!

S/C/G: Restart 2/19/15. See Ticker

Height: 5.5

What amazing conversation today! I feel privileged to be allowed to be a part of it. All of you are unbelievably motivating to me. And I was thinking.....my big thing, I think, will be the day I can see my collarbones! To me, defined collarbones are a hallmark of a slender person........and I can't believe, but yet I trust, that I'm on my way to experiencing that! Now that I've found IP and this forum!
Old 04-17-2014, 05:14 AM   #114  

S/C/G: 190/137.5/140

Height: 5-4

I have been skimming to catch up so probably missed things, but so fun to get a smile first thing in the morning! Single sized numbers are the bomb, but so is regular sizes if you have been in plus sizes!

This time I have not had anyone say I look to thin and I am smaller than I ever have been. It might be because I am doing it more for medical reasons than vanity. It might be because I don't look too thin! It is probably because I work with mostly men.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:08 AM   #115  
Started IP 11/13/2013

S/C/G: 185/140/128

Height: 5 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by drd1961 View Post
It is probably because I work with mostly men.
Love it! So true!
Old 04-17-2014, 07:58 AM   #116  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

Hawaii69 - Weight loss does bring out the worst in some people for sure. Then she asked me if I'd saved my old clothes for her. Uh, no.

I can't believe someone asked you if you were sick (how rude!) - I hope you told told them that no, you were actually getting healthy!

SylviesGirl - how wonderful of your dh! I had someone tell me "your husband needs to watch out, all the young guys will be after you." Really? I just told them I was disappointed that they thought I had such low morals. I lost weight, not my character.

Your frenemy sounds like she is way jealous. Sounds like you handle her well though - good for you! I would be sooooo tempted to say "thanks, I was just going to offer my 14s to you." But I'm bad.

RosiePosie101 - I LOVE cleaning out my closet now! Except it means I need to go shopping which I love & hate! I got rid of the too big clothes as soon as they no longer fit (with the exception of one pair of pants) - I didn't want them around. I think I was just worried that if they were there I'd think I could wear them and I don't want to grow into anything larger.

I like having clothes that fit now and a "soon" pile. I think saving the old stuff would be kind of like saying I might gain it all back.

3sisters - You've got the right mindset and you'll have collarbones soon! I cried the first time I put on a dress that showed my curves were back - now that dress is off to the women's shelter.

drd1961 - Yep, it's the men thing I'm sure!
Old 04-17-2014, 09:38 AM   #117  

S/C/G: 297/IP start 270/201/160

Height: 5 foot 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth Ann View Post
Hawaii69 -
RosiePosie101 - I LOVE cleaning out my closet now! Except it means I need to go shopping which I love & hate! I got rid of the too big clothes as soon as they no longer fit (with the exception of one pair of pants) - I didn't want them around. I think I was just worried that if they were there I'd think I could wear them and I don't want to grow into anything larger.

I like having clothes that fit now and a "soon" pile. I think saving the old stuff would be kind of like saying I might gain it all back.
Being 100% very careful these days but the scale doesn't want to move...looking to hit -100 but that last one doesn't want to budge...I am not complaining because I know there are those who have REALLY struggled with that.

I am very careful to donate what I have grown out of so that I KNOW that I have nothing larger I can 'fall back' on. Being aware that I must continue in the opposite direction, down, if I want to have anything to wear helps me out.

So I have no larger sizes (I keep a bag hanging in the closet and anytime I have something too loose, it goes into the bag and dropped off as a donation) and one or two sizes smaller. I like trying on the smaller sizes because I gives me inspiration, hope and a goal - like being able to zip up!
Old 04-17-2014, 11:51 AM   #118  
~Learning Everyday~

S/C/G: 310.8/ ticker /175

Height: 5'7''

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylviesGirl View Post
Wow, you are doing fantastic!

As far as the constipation, jicama always helps me. Do you have any jicama in your diet? If not, here is how I usually eat it: Chopped into french-fry shaped spears, sprinkled with a Splenda packet and a bit of lemon juice. Stir to coat and . . . you're welcome. Tastes like candy! Two days of that, and all is right in my world again.
Hey So I bought some jimaca yesterday. When I prepare it do I eat it raw or bake it? This veggie is completely new to me
Old 04-17-2014, 12:04 PM   #119  
Started IP 2/13/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetenuf View Post
Hey So I bought some jimaca yesterday. When I prepare it do I eat it raw or bake it? This veggie is completely new to me
If you are on Pinterest, you can find lots of ways to prepare it. My favorite way to eat it is raw, cut into sticks, sprinkled with a packet of Splenda and a bit of lemon or lime juice. Yum!

I've also sliced it up into small, thin squares and boiled it on the stove-top for a while (like 20 - 30 mins). It softens it a bit, but it will never become soft like apples. I drain it, return to the pan, add in approx. 1 tsp olive oil and sautee a bit. At the last minute, I add in a packet of Splenda and a good amount of cinnamon. Yummy.

I hope you find a way to like it, because it is very high in fiber and "keeps things moving." Good luck!

Edited to add: Peel it like a potato or just slice off the skin.

Last edited by SylviesGirl; 04-17-2014 at 12:05 PM.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:09 PM   #120  
Started IP 5/13/13

S/C/G: 185/128/135

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetenuf View Post
I slice mine like french fries and toss with Splenda and cinnamon. Yummy. Kind of like an apple but not so sweet. I have been planning to try it like SylviesGirl mentioned as well. That would be good with some Maple Brown Sugar Oatmeal as a crumble, like an apple crisp maybe. I'm not sure how I would do the oatmeal yet, but I think someone else has used the oatmeal in this way before. Maybe it was lamberjules?
Closed Thread