Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 12:11 PM   #121  
~Learning Everyday~

S/C/G: 310.8/ ticker /175

Height: 5'7''

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylviesGirl View Post
If you are on Pinterest, you can find lots of ways to prepare it. My favorite way to eat it is raw, cut into sticks, sprinkled with a packet of Splenda and a bit of lemon or lime juice. Yum!

I've also sliced it up into small, thin squares and boiled it on the stove-top for a while (like 20 - 30 mins). It softens it a bit, but it will never become soft like apples. I drain it, return to the pan, add in approx. 1 tsp olive oil and sautee a bit. At the last minute, I add in a packet of Splenda and a good amount of cinnamon. Yummy.

I hope you find a way to like it, because it is very high in fiber and "keeps things moving." Good luck!

Edited to add: Peel it like a potato or just slice off the skin.

Thank you very much
my current issue has been resolved but I DO NOT want to go thru that again for that length. So if this helps I will make it a permanent in my diet. thank you again
Old 04-17-2014, 12:12 PM   #122  

Ruth Ann

I read that you said you weigh your two cups of veggies.
Do you weigh them as 16oz? Two cups is 16 fluid oz, but that is not exactly the case for vegetables. I'm just curious how much you weigh out?
Old 04-17-2014, 12:17 PM   #123  

Quote:
Originally Posted by babykadea View Post
I read that you said you weigh your two cups of veggies.
Do you weigh them as 16oz? Two cups is 16 fluid oz, but that is not exactly the case for vegetables. I'm just curious how much you weigh out?
I'm not Ruth Ann but the answer is no

Different veggies weigh different amounts.
If you got to the self nutrition website, you can find the weights for 1 cup of any veggie you want to weigh
Old 04-17-2014, 12:23 PM   #124  
Started IP 5/13/13

S/C/G: 185/128/135

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetenuf View Post
Hey So I bought some jimaca yesterday. When I prepare it do I eat it raw or bake it? This veggie is completely new to me
I found this link with some suggestions on using Jicama:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...02-jicama.html

I hope it is helpful.
Old 04-17-2014, 03:42 PM   #125  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
I'm not Ruth Ann but the answer is no

Different veggies weigh different amounts.
If you got to the self nutrition website, you can find the weights for 1 cup of any veggie you want to weigh
Lisa is correct (as usual ). I only weigh veggies that don't easily fit in a measuring cups - like tonight I am roasting asparagus and it's easier to weigh it than try to make it fit the cup.

I read somewhere you should always weigh veggies rather than measure them, but most veggies fit the 2 cup measure just fine.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:25 PM   #126  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Default "Mock apple tart/crisp recipe"

Ingredients:

1 large zucchini
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 pinch salt
2 packets sweetener (like Truvia or Splenda)
1 tsp or more Apple Pie Spice (You can also make your own with recipe below)
1 tsp vanilla or 1 TB DaVinci/Torani Sugar-Free Vanilla Syrup

for Tart:
Make IP Oatmeal according to directions (Can use a bit less water)

Directions:

1. Cut zucchini into circular disks, then cut in half to make apple slices
2. Toss togetherzucchini, lemon juice and salt. Place mixture into frying pan and cook until tender-crisp.

Note: If you are concerned about using so much lemon juice, you can cut it to 2TB. It will still taste great, but won't have a "syrupy" texture. Just make sure not to dry out when baking.
3. Midway through cooking the zucchini, add in the spices, sweetener, and vanilla. I use more than 1 tsp of the spice because I like it strong.
4. If making just the apples, lightly spray a glass pie pan with cooking spray or "I Cant Believe Its Not Butter" spray. Lay down the zucchini pies like a pie. Drizzle over the top any extra lemon juice.
5. Bake in oven at 400 degrees F (205 degrees C) for 15-30 minutes until done. (taste at 15 min. Less time is crisp apple. More time is soft apple)

Note that the lemon juice can be quite strong. You can add a bit more sweetener to cut the sour. I use the Sugar-Free Vanilla syrup to raise the sweetness without the risk of too much of the sweetener packets. Also good with Sugar-Free Toasted Marshmallow.

If you are making the tart, make the IP Oatmeal according to directions (maybe use a bit less water) and spoon into the glass pie pan with non-stick spray. Layer "apples" on top. Bake according to directions.

The taste of the tart is quite good, but not quite what I expected and I dont like using a restricted product (oatmeal) for this when the regular baked apples by themselves are so good.

You can also enjoy this with IP Vanilla "Ice Cream". See directions here:
http://www.facebook.com/IdealProtein....1811825386184 64.45488.181118358624882&type=1&theater

Apple Pie Spice:
Ingredients:
•1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
•1/4 teaspoons ground nutmeg
•1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
•1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom (optional, but I use this all the time. Make sure the cardamom is ground finely)

Directions:
Combine all ingredients. If you make extra, store in an airtight container

Found via google at 3fatchicks. Thank you "FinnSteven" from April 2012

Liana
Old 04-17-2014, 04:48 PM   #127  

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

Default "...your diet did not work for me.."

Today was the monthly luncheon for retirees from my former place of emplyment. Have enjoyed these get-togethers for the last few years, as it always good to see former co workers. The company was about 600 people during my years there (prior to a merger which increased the size to 6000). It was a great ride, and people stayed there a long time finishing careers at 20-30 and40+ years in some cases. We all got to know most everyone at some level. The atmosphere was a positive environment with people often finding lifetime friends there, but at the least knowing who did what function and easily on a first name basis with everyone. Over the last year, it was hard not to have noticed my weight loss...most handled it graciously ..just inquiring if I was "well"...then when finding out things were fine...telling me I looked great...or they "loved" my hair...LOL ...code for a not nosy way to state..." you lost weight?!?!" Only one or two people have probed over the last year...but they were not the nice ones......and I usually tried to steer convo away from the topic ...but one lady, who was known for her baracuda skills, during her years at work...nailed me to the wall in December. So in trying to keep things at a low roar, I emailed her the link below which was how I have handled these probing inquiries. It has mostly been my experience, people are NOT really interested in what I did once they know I cut out wine and sugar...and the ones who DID ask more point blank were the kind who REALLY only wanted to know how much I lost ..what did I weigh before and after.. and what size were/are you...all questions I chose not to engage in then or now.

This link gives basics of IPs philosophy carried out on alternatives or a DIY shot at IP:

http://bearware.info/DietPlan.html

Well, today someone who does not attend often and I did not know well approached me as we sat down. She said.."I had to ask who you were...OH MY! You looks so wonderful. Are you well? I thanked her and said yes...and she said...I am so happy for you...you look incredible...and I'm not sure you should be here with us old retirees..." But went on and on and on saying things that made me blush. And never made or asked a nosy comment or question other than about my general health... ...

Well, then up speaks said barracuda lady from December..
"Yes ...well...she emailed me her diet...and it REALLY doesn't work...Don't know what she forgot to tell me...but clearly...it did NOT work for me!"
One of the men spoke up and said
"Well..Jill what did YOU do wrong...because it clearly worked for her..."

Later she told me she sort of followed it "pretty close"....(ie...not 100%)...but now has decided to "just watch carbs and sugar...it's the best I can do"

Then she ordered fajitas, rice and beans, and a coke for lunch.

This is why I don't share too much with people outside my immediate and chosen circle...but the response of my coworker calling her out publicly was too much not to share with you fellow 100%ers!
Plus..I thought this link might help you not to have to put too much of yourself out there if you choose not too get too in the weeds with others on this..
Old 04-17-2014, 05:51 PM   #128  

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65X65 View Post

Well, then up speaks said barracuda lady from December..
"Yes ...well...she emailed me her diet...and it REALLY doesn't work...Don't know what she forgot to tell me...but clearly...it did NOT work for me!"
One of the men spoke up and said
"Well..Jill what did YOU do wrong...because it clearly worked for her..."

Last edited by lisa32989; 04-17-2014 at 05:51 PM.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:46 PM   #129  
Just Do It, Mom!

S/C/G: Restart 2/19/15. See Ticker

Height: 5.5

Posted this on the daily thread also, but thought I'd repost here as well.

OK, some advice/opinions please. This is what I had to eat so far today:

B - Crispy Cereal
L - IP Broccoli/Cheese soup, Large salad (lettuce, cucs, pepper) with evoo and a squeeze of lemon
D - Big Mac in a bowl, made with 6 (raw) oz of 93% Ground Beef, dehydrated onions, lettuce, pickles, WF dressing.

I stopped at the grocery and picked up a couple of Quest Bars, since I've been hearing how good they are! I tried to choose the ones with the least net carbs and cals.

Choc Chip Cookie Dough - Cal 190, Fat 8, Carb 21 (17 fiber, 1 sugar) Pro 21.
Coconut Cashew - Cal 170, Fat 6, Carb 25 (17 fiber, 1 sugar) Pro 20.

My question is, would having one of the bars fit in with today's meals and still keep me OP?
Old 04-17-2014, 09:39 PM   #130  
Started IP 04/22/2013

65- thank you for the laugh! I can just imagine her face when someone told her she must have done something wrong!

And:

"She said.."I had to ask who you were...OH MY! You looks so wonderful. Are you well? "

Really? Talk about nerve!

I find most people want to hear that I took some magic pill or drank some potion once a day and then ate anything I wanted and the fat just melted off. They don't want to hear that it was hard work and took longer than 2 months.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:39 PM   #131  

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3sisters View Post
Posted this on the daily thread also, but thought I'd repost here as well.

OK, some advice/opinions please. This is what I had to eat so far today:

B - Crispy Cereal
L - IP Broccoli/Cheese soup, Large salad (lettuce, cucs, pepper) with evoo and a squeeze of lemon
D - Big Mac in a bowl, made with 6 (raw) oz of 93% Ground Beef, dehydrated onions, lettuce, pickles, WF dressing.

I stopped at the grocery and picked up a couple of Quest Bars, since I've been hearing how good they are! I tried to choose the ones with the least net carbs and cals.

Choc Chip Cookie Dough - Cal 190, Fat 8, Carb 21 (17 fiber, 1 sugar) Pro 21.
Coconut Cashew - Cal 170, Fat 6, Carb 25 (17 fiber, 1 sugar) Pro 20.

My question is, would having one of the bars fit in with today's meals and still keep me OP?
I answered you on the daily chat
Old 04-17-2014, 09:56 PM   #132  
Diane on track July 2014

S/C/G: 230/221/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by drd1961 View Post
You have to take pictures of yourself. It helps.
I just saw an awesome video a man made where he took a picture of his daughter once a month from birth to 17. he put the clips together to make a 4 minute video and it was awesome to watch her "grow up" before my eyes. I'm sure we could do a similar thing, but we'll watch ourselves "grow down" instead
Old 04-17-2014, 10:10 PM   #133  
Started IP 04/22/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IP43 View Post
I just saw an awesome video a man made where he took a picture of his daughter once a month from birth to 17. he put the clips together to make a 4 minute video and it was awesome to watch her "grow up" before my eyes. I'm sure we could do a similar thing, but we'll watch ourselves "grow down" instead
What an awesome idea!
Old 04-17-2014, 11:29 PM   #134  
Diane on track July 2014

S/C/G: 230/221/180

Height: 5'6"

I'm not sure if anyone else is having problems on this site -- maybe it's my computer. I make a post, my computer freezes, I have to log back in. 95% of the time the post is not there so I write it again. 5% it's there and I feel like my mother -- repeating the same story she just told me yesterday! LOL...

Sorry if you see a repost. I hope I don't have some virus or something. Think about how thin my fingers will be from the extra typing exercise!
Old 04-18-2014, 04:45 AM   #135  

Liana: can you also post that recipe on the recipes 4 thread? It's easier to find recipes again if they're all in one place. Thanks!
Closed Thread