Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 08:56 PM   #451  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatLakes86 View Post
Thanks, scorbett. Yeah, I just meant that until I get a base of my "go-to" IP stuff into the my frequent food list, I will have to search and add them. I am that lazy. It would be so nice if you could select multiple items and add them all at the same time to a personal food library.
lol I just added foods to my meals as I went along, I wouldn't have the patience to make a list ahead of time!

Well I'm about a month into maintenance, and so far so good! As of this morning I'm actually 0.4lbs below the weight I was at when I phased off. I definitely play the balancing game though - if I see that I had a higher calorie day one day, the next I trim back and have a lean day. If I notice one day is higher in carbs than I'm ok with, I balance with a lower carb day the next. Overall though, I really feel like no matter what happens I'm in control. Best feeling ever!
Old 03-27-2013, 09:21 PM   #452  

S/C/G: 182/150/144

Height: 5'2.5"

Hi everyone!

We are all well (finally!) in my house. I do think my immune system got a bit weak on IP. Now I'm catching up on reading the thread. Lots of good info. in the week I missed! Maile, thank you so much for sharing the info. from the Nat. Weight Control registry. It was very helpful to see.

I'm still trying to make my way through the gluten issue. I don't know if I will end up eliminating grains from my diet, maintenance is a testing period for me. Several years back I did a medical treatment for the H.Pylori bacteria as I was having constant stomach pain and my h. pylori count was off the scale. Turns out the "treatment" caused more problems then it solved. My digestive system fell apart. I developed severe gluten intolerance...so bad that my doctor was pretty convinced I was Celiac but test says I'm not. Basically the H.Pylor treatment eradicated all healthy bacteria and I had trouble digesting foods, especially anything with wheat or anything rich in nutrients like vitamin enhanced foods, oral vitamins, etc. It was a rough few years. I don't know how much of my gluten sensitivity was due to being unable to digest food in general, and how much was specific to a real intolerance of wheat/gluten. I feel like I finally got my system straightened out. Adding wheat back scares me. But I love wheat and want to be able to eat it in moderation if I'm no longer intolerant. What scares me is in maintenance is now that I'm eating wheat again, I'm having carb cravings. So it may have to go. Why can't anything be easy? I'm really grateful to hear what others here have to say about their journey with wheat/gluten.

I'm still doing ok in maintenance so far. Started maintenance at 146, today was at 143, up 1 1/2 lbs from my lowest maintenance weight but I'm pre-TOM so it makes sense. Plus I also had a first real "fun" day this weekend.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:07 AM   #453  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Maile, thank you for posting that info. it is very helpful especially the part about depression. I find when I let carbs get out of control I feel very down and powerless so eating well battles depression.
I have been meaning to ask you; as you are a maintaining champ what have you found happened with excess skin over the duration. Maybe you didn't have much of an issue with it anyway but I am interested in your experience with it.

Pat
Old 03-28-2013, 10:17 AM   #454  
Re-Start 8/6/2012

S/C/G: 202/152/155

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by evepet View Post
scorbett & Molly Just fyi - the flax meal wrap that I made a couple of days ago for my P3 breakfast egg wrap came from the Wheat Belly book. It's just 3 tbsp flax seed meal, 1 egg, 1 tbsp coconut oil, 1/4 tsp baking powder, 1 tbsp water, and spices (used garlic & onion powder, celery salt & paprika). Can be either spread onto a microwavable pie plate and cooked in the microwave, or on the stove-top like a pancake. For purposes of P3 I substituted oat bran for part of the flax seed meal (otherwise not enough carbs, as the fibre cancels out the carbs when it's 'pure' flaxmeal... and I used only a scant 1/2 tbsp of c/oil, then used egg whites for my scrambled rather than another whole egg in order to minimize the fat level) but I'll definitely try it again using 100% flaxmeal, once I'm officially off Phase 3. I'm with you - nice to be aware of some handy lc bread alternatives.

Hope everyone is having a good day.
I am going to try this today! Feeling very puffy, and I think it's the wheat....

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacNW IP View Post
I'm just curious how many successful maintainers follow the IP guidelines for food combining to maintain, and how many have set their own maintenance plan and found success? What works for you?

I'm going into maintenance this weekend, and I'm a little nervous to be "striking out on my own".
Congrats! I was (am still) nervous about phase 4. It's very intimidating to be thrust out into the world with all of the choices being your own. Thankfully, the people here are very patient and very helpful! Ask lots of questions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishbel View Post
anyone else have some good weight training books they recommend that I can purchase from amazon? Figured I'd ask before I put in an order.
Have you looked on Pinterest? I found a TON of exercises (circuits/target areas) for trying to get rid of my mummy pooch! There must be some on there for strength training?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorbett1103 View Post

I'm a month into maintenance and still holding within the same 3-4lb range. I am on a somewhat blended maintenance plan - I do try to avoid carbs at lunchtime, and go low fat at dinnertime. I still do a P3 breakfast every day, by the book. My snacks tend to look more like a weight watchers snack, I don't separate fats and carbs as diligently for snacks but it's also a much smaller portion than dinner.

I find that tracking my calories has been the real "key" for me. .
Scorbett - you have been such a source of knowledge and inspiration to me! Great job! I am also tracking with MFP, it makes me feel in control & make smart choices. I track the good and the bad, and its quite eye opening!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolawhodatchick View Post

I'm still doing ok in maintenance so far. Started maintenance at 146, today was at 143, up 1 1/2 lbs from my lowest maintenance weight but I'm pre-TOM so it makes sense. Plus I also had a first real "fun" day this weekend.
I find myself fluctuating about 3 pounds. Aren't the fun days - well - FUN!?
Old 03-28-2013, 10:39 AM   #455  

S/C/G: 305/163/165

everyone Ok, so the whole shoes thing...I can't get to a good store until the 6 of April - plan is to go to a bigger centre and spend the day 'shopping' by myself...priority being bridal shoes. I know I said sparkly and I love the shoes that skeeter posted from her wedding but I'm not sure I can find those. I am drawn to these though, http://www.dessy.com/accessories/sat...s/?colorid=399 and I have to go to a bridal store that sells 'dessy' to confirm the cameo colour is the colour I'm hoping for. BUT, I'm going to look before I go to that bridal store LOL and make sure I can't find what is in my head.

I love love LOVE that you are all posting pictures of shoes, benice I clicked on that link and said "OOOOO"

reference the strength training - thanks for all the recommendations, Lesley I can see me getting addicted to pinterest so I actually never thought of that

Nolawhodatchick Sounds like you're doing it!! Keeping it in check while sick...ROCK STAR!

maile Thanks from me too for posting those tips for maintenance...exercise is key FO' SHO'!!

evepet As I read your posts....I think I've essentially deleted most grains over time from my diet. I can have 'pop corn' but not corn in a tortilla chip/wrap etc etc. Sometimes I wonder if it's because I am scared they will cause inflammation or if I'm just getting a little lazy. My suppers are essentially just protein and veggies now...and well it's easier to just take more veggies if I'm hungry then it is to think about cooking up some rice or quinoa (sp?)

GreatLakes86 My Net Diary has a personal library of foods that you use over and over again...I think that's one of the main reasons I stick with it. THAT and the chart I see of my fluctuations...so when I'm feeling somewhat anxious I can see "yup, you're ok you're doing something right...breathe"

patns Your comment about calling your daughters VIP made me laugh...I'm going home this weekend and I don't know how many times mom said "we can talk about the wedding". Due to my age and how far she is away I think she's feeling somewhat left out so I need to do better in that arena She's going to make my garter(s) for me...she's really REALLY good at sewing, she was pretty excited when we talked about it.

I'm going home...SO excited...I haven't been home since July (I've seen her since then though!), I'm actually getting a little lump in my throat just typing this. It's been a long time and I miss my mom. lol ...she announced "I want you to come to church so I can show you off, everyone is asking about you" LOL

I "heart" my mom!

Last edited by Ishbel; 03-28-2013 at 10:41 AM.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:32 AM   #456  

S/C/G: 216/209.6/180

Height: 5'9

[QUOTE=Ishbel;4685124
I'm going home...SO excited...I haven't been home since July (I've seen her since then though!), I'm actually getting a little lump in my throat just typing this. It's been a long time and I miss my mom. lol ...she announced "I want you to come to church so I can show you off, everyone is asking about you" LOL

I "heart" my mom![/QUOTE]

This part of your post really touched me. I am going home as well and can't wait to be with my mom! Need her right now and so looking forward to our time together. Mom's are just the best!

Hello all Maintainers. I might be popping in here a bit while on my holiday. Have today and tomorrow at Phase 3 and then I am on my own for about a month. Plan on getting back to Phase 1 near end of April and buckling down to lose what I gain while away and try to get to 165 I am thinking for a final goal. Have a great day!
Old 03-28-2013, 03:56 PM   #457  
Re-Start 8/6/2012

S/C/G: 202/152/155

Height: 5'7

Welcome Ladylunk!

Have a great weekend Ishbel!!!

Quick question!
- what do you normally eat as snack during the day? How many do you usually have?
Old 03-28-2013, 04:42 PM   #458  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesley View Post
Welcome Ladylunk!

Have a great weekend Ishbel!!!

Quick question!
- what do you normally eat as snack during the day? How many do you usually have?
LOL I brought up this question when I was close to maintenance too - it's probably the part of maintenance I've struggled with more than any other.

Snacks seem to be a very individualized thing. At first, I tried to stick with 3 small snacks per day. But I was overfull, and my weight started to creep up. I was "technically" under the calories that MFP recommended for maintenance, but in the end that was too much food in a day for me.

What I personally ended up settling on was to watch my calories and how I felt. If I'm TRULY hungry between meals (and whenever I feel hunger I always start with a big glass of water, to make sure I'm not just thirsty) then I allow myself a snack that is between 100 and 200 calories. I track everything on MFP and if I seem like I am having a more carb-heavy day I have a fat-based snack (almonds, or a cheese stick with some deli turkey). If it's a more fat-based day, I go for a carbier snack (small tostitos with salsa, piece of fruit, mini wheat bagel with a wedge of Laughing Cow). I generally have dinner around 6pm, so I will have either a protein packet (pudding, WLS cheesecake or a bar) or a yogurt between dinner and bed.

It's very trial-and-error in maintenance, in the end you need to go with whatever will help you hold your goal weight and feel good!
Old 03-28-2013, 05:01 PM   #459  
Maile

S/C/G: 242/130/130

Height: 5'6

Patns:I do have loose skin, especially on my stomach. I would like to have surgery some day, but want do to do the lazer face first..However, there is good news..With all of my weight training the loose skin on my arms and legs has firmed up! Not so much on the stomach. My NSV was buying a short sleeve spring shirt..I would not have done that a year ago..definite improvement.

Ishbel and Lady Lunk. Have a great visit with your moms! I am feeling doubly sentimental about motherhood. I loved being around my daughter these last few days and hated to see her go. Then my mom is turning 93 in April and I will not be there.

Lesly: Gluten could be a factor..just read an article in Prevention about bloating. They recommended kale, chamomile tea, yogurt, pineapple, herbs like ginger and peppermint.

Nolawhodatchick: You are doing well in maintenance! I only have wheat for breakfast and do not have any problems.

Scorbette: I like your idea of balancing high carb/calorie days with low carb/calorie days. I do the same.

Kitkat and GreatLakes: I believe that I have been depressed for most of my life. I was never happy constantly battling weight. Physically I think it was eating the refined carbs and sugar that were digested rapidly and elevated blood sugar and produced fat. The stress of being overweight also led to depression. Peeke, in her book, Hunger Fix, says stress can cause weight gain and wreck the quality of one's life. She calls it toxic stress. She says that fatty,sugary,salty processed foods mess with brain chemistry and lead to full blown addictions.
I am glad you are both feeling better without gluten. I am very happy to be out of the cloud of depression.

As I was picking up my daughter at the airport, I reflected on the many unhappy moments I had at airports..feeling like you are being judged as looking fat..or not wanting to sit in a small seat. Now all of that is gone! I can enjoy airports and travel much more now.

Evepet: I am much stabler without sugar.

On a positive note, it is nice to read that as you replace fat with more muscle, you burn more calories on a daily basis, even when you are not moving.

Ishbel: I don't know of any books on that subject, but am liking the idea of more muscles burning calories.

Momto2cs: i am with you on the constant vigilance and effort. Are they suggesting more than an hour a day of exercise to get the 500 min?

Mores notes from the NWCR:which has tracked 10,000 people.
1. Take a walk. 80 percent of the members walk for exercise.
2.Eat early: Fueling up on a breakfast of low-fat dairy,whole grains, and lean protein is done by most successful maintainers. (P3..Yay)
3.Weigh in: More than half weigh in weekly. Hopping on the scale can help you spot minor weight gain and reverse it quickly.
4. Know it gets easier. "As healthy changes becomes habits, keeping weight off feels easier says Dr. Thomas. (Hooray)

Last edited by Maile; 03-28-2013 at 06:12 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:17 PM   #460  

S/C/G: 218/120/120 Reboot 185/123/135

Height: 5'3"

Wow..lot's of new people coming to this thread. How exciting to see so many people nearing maintenance or at least starting to prepare mentally.

It is nice to hear you Ishbel and ladylunk talk about seeing your moms. April is when I lost my mom 25 yrs ago and I still miss her every day. I will be seeing my daughter for the first time in 4 months next week and I am very excited!

Maile I am beginning to notice that the loose skin flappers on my underarms is beginning to tighten up. Not so much the saggy skin on my stomach or even still a little saggy on my legs but it will be so much nicer wearing short sleeve shirts this year. I am excited at the prospect of looking good in summer clothes this year, not having to be too warm because I feel like I have to cover up! Yeah!

I think I am finally back on track with my eating and am finally down with in my 3 lb range. I had slacked off on the working out because I was busier than usual but I know I have to be able to fit it in somehow. I am now going to a yoga class 3-4 days a week and love it. Definitely feel more flexible and it seems to help with the stress and keeps me from heading to the wrong foods like I use to do when I would get stressed.

Well, it looks like we are going to have a beautiful spring weekend here in the PNW which will lift everyone's spirits. I hope you all have a wonderful Easter weekend, spending time with family and friends and doing something good for just you.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:38 PM   #461  

S/C/G: 180/148.0/160

Height: 5'11"

Maile: I appreciate your notes from the NWCR. I am still so unsure about what to eat and to do to succeed at "maintenance", that I really benefit from all of the advice on this thread!

Lesley- I am sticking to mainly low carb during the day after a P3 breakfast, so my snacks are usually nuts, cheese, deli turkey, olives, or cut up veggies. I am thinking I should branch out and include some carbs, but I am just not ready!

Ishbel- I can't wait to see the shoes that you pick!

Lori T- Congrats on getting back to your 3# range!

Have a great weekend everyone!
Old 03-28-2013, 11:42 PM   #462  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Maile, that is really good news about the arms firming up. Much better than the belly skin actually because they are out in the open.

Ishbel. that is so sweet about your mom wanting to take you to church to show you off. I think lots of people will be more interested in checking out the new you than in listening to the sermon. Are you going to have the wedding where your mom lives?

Pat
Old 03-29-2013, 10:08 AM   #463  
Started IP 3/26/12

Height: 5'5"

Hi everyone. Just popping in to check and see what's new here and how everyone is doing. I was relieved and pleased to see that my weight is holding still... in fact, it's dropped about .5 lb this week. So my P3 is going well and so far I'm not experiencing any glycogen regain. I had some flaxmeal bread in the freezer, so I've had that for toast the last couple of days, with no-sugar-added wildberry jam & ricotta cheese. Plus a boiled egg. Flaxmeal is so high in protein (one slice of this bread has 12g protein) that I didn't need much extra in addition to the bread. And hmhm... that wildberry jam sure tasted good.

Happy Easter to everyone. I hope you all have a safe and happy weekend with family & friends. I'll be spending tomorrow & Sunday with my sister & her family, which includes a 1.5 yr old and a 3.5 yr old who be fun to watch with their easter egg hunt. Cheers for now.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:26 AM   #464  
Maile

S/C/G: 242/130/130

Height: 5'6

Pat..you are right..the arms are more exposed than the stomach. LOL. There is a very good Prevention article entitled , "Love your belly at any age."

LoriT: That is great that you are in the 3 pound range and that your arms are firming also!

Evepet: Phase 3 is working well for you. Nice on .5 down.

Gazelle: I was and still am, very hesitant to add too many carbs as well. You are wise to maintain in your own way and do what feels right for you.

Happy Easter everyone.

At the risk of driving everyone crazy, ..this is what happens on my vacation, I start reading maintenance articles.
Here is a link on more research at the registry.

www.nwcr.ws/Research/pub
lished%20research.htm

This article interested me.
What predicts weight regain in a group of successful weight losers? .
McGuire MT, Wing RR, Klem ML, Lang W, Hill JO.
Source
Department of Psychiatry, University of Pittsburgh Medical School, USA. [email protected]
Erratum in
J Consult Clin Psychol 1999 Jun;67(3):282.
Abstract
This study identified predictors of weight gain versus continued maintenance among individuals already successful at long-term weight loss. Weight, behavior, and psychological information was collected on entry into the study and 1 year later. Thirty-five percent gained weight over the year of follow-up, and 59% maintained their weight losses. Risk factors for weight regain included more recent weight losses (less than 2 years vs. 2 years or more), larger weight losses (greater than 30% of maximum weight vs. less than 30%), and higher levels of depression, dietary disinhibition, and binge eating levels at entry into the registry. Over the year of follow-up, gainers reported greater decreases in energy expenditure and greater increases in percentage of calories from fat. Gainers also reported greater decreases in restraint and increases in hunger, dietary disinhibition, and binge eating. This study suggests that several years of successful weight maintenance increase the probability of future weight maintenance and that weight regain is due at least in part to failure to maintain behavior changes.
PM

I must admit that I was not happy to read that someone who had a larger weight loss was less successful. Also again it mentions depression. It seems to be saying that the regainers started exercising less, and eating more. The good news is that the longer you maintain, hopefully beyond two years, the higher your success.

Last edited by Maile; 03-29-2013 at 11:36 AM.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:32 AM   #465  
Started IP 3/26/12

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maile View Post
Pat..you are right..the arms are more exposed than the stomach. LOL.
At least that's generally true at our age.

And don't worry about posting too many articles about maintenance. I love them - and I'm sure the others here do as well.

My 'hobby' today is similiar to yours - I'm researching recipes for tasty sounding dishes to re-introduce the starchier veggies and legumes into my eating for early Maintenance. Being single, I don't like to overstock on groceries, so I try to ensure in advance that I know what I'm going to make and plan my grocery shopping accordingly. And next week I get to test out some new Maintenance-appropriate recipes! Yay!

Have a Happy Easter Maile.
Closed Thread