Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 10:08 PM   #331  

S/C/G: 182/150/144

Height: 5'2.5"

Hi Maintainers! I've been MIA as a nasty illness is making rounds in our house, first kid now me for several days. Still not well but just checking in cuz I don't want to be away for too long. The worst part of being sick is I have only been able to hold down coke, dry bread, and 2 vanilla shakes (sugar and carbs!) After months of getting that junk out of my system, I feel awful consuming it but it has literally been all I could keep down for the last 3 days. I'm up 2+ lbs today. Hard to know how much will stay after the bloating goes away, but I do also think I'm experiencing that rapid gain I hear about when people say the go off the diet, carb and sugar load, and gain lots of weight rapidly. Oh well, I am getting better, and then I will deal with whatever the weight repercussions are. I'm sure I have missed lots of great sharing over the last week or so; I know lots of folks were about to hit the maintainers club. So congrats to all the newmaintainers, and also to any others who have had milestones and successes while I was out. It's great to be well enough to check in, I missed yall!
Old 03-13-2013, 01:56 AM   #332  

Height: 5'4"

Maile: Yep, that's the one! When you first posted it, I thought, "oh, that's not me". But lo and behold, it's a LOT me.

Scorbett: Thanks for reminding me on the reasoning of the carb meal at dinner. I know Dr Tran stuff says you can flip them occasionally. Must be why I was so hesitant to EVER do it, plus, I like carbs at night. Yesterday went really well (no Arctic Zero and only one snack size Clif Bar) and I was rewarded on the scale this morning. Today went almost as well, so we will see.

Nola: I hope you feel better soon. My experience is that the rebound from being sick is really fast and hard to control. I had this vertigo thing the day after Thanksgiving that went on for 3 really bad days (get up, go pee, puke from dizzyness, go to bed, repeat). I was SO hungry. First day IP shake (P1 day), tasted weird. Second day, rice (from BRAT) that didn't stay down. By the 4th day I was down to 114.5 (on the home scale). It rose pretty steady until January and leveled off at about 119 (before I started having problems from a few days of social eating). So now I am struggling at the top of my range, where the p1 days don't always bring down the fun days. I'm at the "maybe the goal weight I picked isn't sustainable" stage. I'd love to think a pound of it is muscle, but my trainers measurements don't indicate that, my Tanita doesn't indicate that, and my mirror isn't cooperating either (sadly, my coach no longer sells IP and no longer has access to the IP device). This leads to a lot of thought in the "Body Comp & New Goals" area.

I think part of the New Goals is new rules around eating clean, beyond keeping the protein and veggies in at least two meals a day. Stuff like giving up sucrolose and/or sugar, how much soy/fake meat and how often, how many protein bar snacks (what combo of P/C/F? make your own?). I think the "limit it to one sustainable change a week" is a worthwhile approach.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:28 AM   #333  
Maile

S/C/G: 242/130/130

Height: 5'6

Hi Everyone,
I am busy giving state tests all day which lead me to feeling stressed and tired.
I am almost done with this round.

Here is a link to an article on maintenance. I think he has some good ideas, especially about a life style change. The test for successful maintenance is this question, " Can I really eat this way the rest of my life?" That is an important question and so true.

www.brianmac.co.uk/artic
les/article033.htm

However, I disagree with him about needing to be rid of packaged foods and bars. I see nothing wrong with using these. Especially having been on IP for months!

Infoplease: I feel like I have hit all of those phases. I like the way she says reaching goal again feels comfortable..not as exciting, but definitely where you want to be. I have also had those days where you are at the top of your range and those pounds do not come down as easily. I think your one change a week is a good idea.

Ishbel: Did you find your wedding shoes? I liked the humor in those steps. Of course we are so much calmer now..LOL.

Nola: I hope you are feeling better. Hopefully your bloating will go away and so will those pounds.

Molly: Being super cautious can be a good thing. I was the same way at first.

Greeniris: I hope you get some sleep. I wrestle with increasing my weights and wondering if that is affecting my pounds!

Last edited by Maile; 03-13-2013 at 08:39 AM.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:06 AM   #334  

S/C/G: 218/120/120 Reboot 185/123/135

Height: 5'3"

MaileThanks for reposting the Phases of Maintenance. I have printed it out and am putting it on my refrigerator for now just as a reminder. Right now I have been dealing with the "Regain. Ouch" but am on the "Re-Loss. Sigh!" It helps to remind me that I can do this and it is life!

It sounds like everyone on here is working hard to find their niche(sp?) on maintenance. Life is full of ups and downs(literally!) and it is wonderful to read these threads and be able to get some good feedback and ideas.

Ishbel I a wondering as well if you found some wedding shoes? I just remember what a pain it was when my daughters were trying to find shoes.

Well, P1 this week is going fine, but I am really looking forward to hopefully being back on track by the end of the week. It really isn't worth all this to have a binging phase. DH said this morning.."just quit going overboard and you wouldn't have to do so many P1 days". I wish is were that easy. I feel so much better and wish that everytime I reach for sugar something would scream at me reminding me of how crappy I feel when I do this to myself. Oh well, this is part of my learning process I guess.

Going to a 10hr conference today. Not really looking forward to sitting all day, but I am hoping for some great information.

Have a great day!
Old 03-13-2013, 10:19 AM   #335  
Maintenance 2/1/2013

S/C/G: 208/148/150

Height: 5'6"

Malie- I love that post about the Phases of Maintenance! It reminds me of the Stages of Grief and how the last one is Acceptance ("It's going to be okay."; "I can't fight it, I may as well prepare for it.") I believe that I grieve my loss...my previous relationship with food, but strive to accept and love my new relationship with myself and food in a truer and more genuine way.

Infoplease- Have you used Nutritional Yeast? I think that I am still retaining water from Monday's lunch when I used it in soup. Do you have feeling on it as a vegetarian? I may have missed something, but what is "New Goals"?

My "fats" meal is usually chicken or tuna salad (sometimes with avocado as the fat, sometimes mayo) heavy on the crunchy veggies in the salad and I serve it either in red peppers halves, cucumber boats, or over greens. I do love to make soups and will add sausage or "fattier" meats for flavor or make it a cream based soup. With that meal I'm trying to keep my carb grams at or below my fat grams...it's hard not to have them sneak up do to the veggies. What does the breakdown look like for some of you?
Old 03-13-2013, 10:32 AM   #336  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommak8 View Post
Malie- I love that post about the Phases of Maintenance! It reminds me of the Stages of Grief and how the last one is Acceptance ("It's going to be okay."; "I can't fight it, I may as well prepare for it.") I believe that I grieve my loss...my previous relationship with food, but strive to accept and love my new relationship with myself and food in a truer and more genuine way.

Infoplease- Have you used Nutritional Yeast? I think that I am still retaining water from Monday's lunch when I used it in soup. Do you have feeling on it as a vegetarian? I may have missed something, but what is "New Goals"?

My "fats" meal is usually chicken or tuna salad (sometimes with avocado as the fat, sometimes mayo) heavy on the crunchy veggies in the salad and I serve it either in red peppers halves, cucumber boats, or over greens. I do love to make soups and will add sausage or "fattier" meats for flavor or make it a cream based soup. With that meal I'm trying to keep my carb grams at or below my fat grams...it's hard not to have them sneak up do to the veggies. What does the breakdown look like for some of you?
I've been just shooting for under 20g carbs at lunch, and around 40-50g carbs at dinner. Cheese or something higher in fat at lunch, no cheese, spread butters or sauces at dinner.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:49 PM   #337  

S/C/G: 177/145/145

Height: 5'8"

Intensity in my workouts helps my sleep. I still take magnesium before bed, which is also supposed to help with sleep.

I am definitely at the body recomposition. Goal. By the end of the year I want to see my abs and be stronger. Adding a weekly habit will hopefully work for me.
Although I like having N online coach to support me, ip s reinforcement of the need for compliance helped keep me on track during my initial loss.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:59 PM   #338  

S/C/G: 305/163/165

Lori & Maile No I haven't found the shoes yet...I'm so frustrated with it but I also know I'll find them. I think I'm that person that just wants my 'tick' in the box for things to be done. I'm anxious to get as many things 'done' so that I can enjoy the day. There will be boxes "guest book table" with all the items in the box for someone to look after. Many boxes with many labels...these are things I can look after NOW but really won't move until the day before or day of. It's all about making sure things are very organized so I can just 'enjoy it'. That being said if something isn't 'right' I'm also that person that probably won't care as no one will notice anyway. I watch those shows and can't believe someone would spend $80 on a table center Maybe it's because I'm paying for this myself lol

maile Yeah, we're calm HAHAHA...although I think I'm less anxious then I was when I first started maintenance. Some days I got it, some days I don't and I can only plan to have it tomorrow. We'll see what tomorrow brings

mommak8 I ignore the carbs from veggies...but I do ensure that I keep the higher sugared ones at a reasonable level. ie, I got tired of chopping veggies and just ate sugar snap peas for lunch for a week and noticed it on the scale. THAT being said my carb count including veggies is 130-150 (150 is a high day) and on a lighter day it's around 110 (including veggies). Generally I'll just document "100 cals" for "mixed veggies" for my tracking and call it even. Does this make sense to anyone? If I'm hungry before supper I'll eat whatever veggie and include it in the 100 cals...if I'm over a bit who cares, it's veggies.

scorbett1103 A little bit of oil at supper for stir frying veggies shouldn't hurt you, just like a little bit of oil for baking veggies shouldn't hurt you. You are wise to take it slow though, monitor your own body reactions.

Speaking of body reactions, here was last nights conversation with VIP.

Background: We had fun day somewhat apart due to his volunteer work but enjoyed an evening with friends.

VIP: So I guess I can't have bread and sugar either on Fun Day.
ME: Interesting comment, we've talked about that before....how do you know that now?
VIP: Cause Saturday I had three chocolate bars, foot long subway for lunch, two large slurpees and rum and coke that night to see what it would do with my weight.
ME: ...........well.....good for you for testing a theory, thank you for not doing that in front of me.
VIP: had to test it myself though and I'm not dumb enough to do that in front of you.
ME: so hows your weight
VIP: took longer to come down this week and I didn't feel all that great Monday or Tuesday
ME: ....I can imagine....

Twerp! At least he's experimenting though! lol!!

Last edited by Ishbel; 03-13-2013 at 01:07 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:03 PM   #339  
Reboot 9/2014

Ishbel - I haven't worried too much about cooking fats, I use very little anyway (mostly PAM spray or coconut oil spray) so I'm just trying to be more aware of more prominent fats. No more cheesy cream soup casseroles for dinner! It's alright though, not like those things were very good for us in the first place

RE: Shoes - when I got married I ended up buying a pair of slip on sneakers from Hot Topic. My dress went all the way to the floor so you couldn't even see the shoes, and boy was I glad my feet were comfy all through the reception
Old 03-14-2013, 08:56 AM   #340  
Maile

S/C/G: 242/130/130

Height: 5'6

When I got married I wore sandals and my brother showed up in flip flops. We were in Hawaii and it was warm and very casual. My mom danced the hula and my dad played the ukulele.
I do love all kinds of weddings.

Ishbel: Hope you find your shoes! There are so many details. I also was shocked at how much centerpieces can cost. Flowers are not cheap.
I feel calmer also..but there is no doubt that you have days when you feel everything is perfect and then days when you need to really stay on track..especially if you are working on up pounds.
Your VIP story was amusing. My husband eats low carb with me and then snacks on carbs later

Scorbette: I wore sandals under a long muumuu. They were comfortable. I love sneakers and wear them to work. My kids love Hot Topic.

Momto2cs: That Body Recomposition seems to be really working. Seeing your ab muscles is a hard goal..but worth it,

Mommak8: I also noticed a relationship to the cycle of grief. I think initially there is a greiving and loss for the old self and turning to food. Finding a way to love what I currently eat has helped me.

Lori: It is helpful to know that everyone is going through many of the same steps and reactions inthis maintenance journey. It is a learning process..and often not easy. I am glad your P1 is going so well. Hope your 10 hour conference is beneficial. That is a long day.

Last edited by Maile; 03-16-2013 at 01:13 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:53 PM   #341  

What daily breakdown percentage for carbs/fat/protein should I be aiming for? I am still watching my carbs and since wheat is out, I think that I may be too low.

I am simply dragging (and starving) all day long. I do a pretty intense workout every day and I barely break 200 calories burned, with my daily burn around 2000 with that workout.

My net carbs for today is 55. I am thinking that is why I am dragging.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:21 PM   #342  
Reboot 9/2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by ustasmom View Post
What daily breakdown percentage for carbs/fat/protein should I be aiming for? I am still watching my carbs and since wheat is out, I think that I may be too low.

I am simply dragging (and starving) all day long. I do a pretty intense workout every day and I barely break 200 calories burned, with my daily burn around 2000 with that workout.

My net carbs for today is 55. I am thinking that is why I am dragging.
Yeah that's VERY low - that's Phase 1 low.

I average around 150g carbs per day (probably 120-130 net carbs). For me personally, I set myself up for a LOOSE guideline of 30% carbs, 35% protein and 35% fat.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:57 AM   #343  

S/C/G: 150/123.4/115

Height: 5'2

Morning ladies,

Maile - Thanks for posting the stages of maintenance. Starting to relate to those. I have added weight training to my routine and I normally gain 3 to 4 pounds of blood volume. Trying to go by fit of clothes and not get discouraged from doing weights. Thanks for posting the link to that article, I have been reading thru the site. Waiting for Gary Taubes book. Have ordered another will post name and author once I receive it.

Nola- Hope you are feeling much better

Scorbett- You are rocking it.

Ishbel - Love VIP experimenting. Hope you find THE shoes!

Momto2cs - I have the same goal as you, getting stronger and defined abs. Let's do it.

ustasmom - You may be right on your carb intake not helping with your workouts. I have ordered a book that talks about low carbing and how to do intense workouts on them. will post tips once i get it next week.

greeniris - way to drop 3 pounds in 5 days!!!

lizzy63 - I am back to weighing daily, not letting it affect me, just so scared of gaining the weight back. With adding weights I want to see how the muscle, fat and Resting metabolism change.

I had a great time in Costa Rica, was able to wear the white dress I bought to wear the last night we were there. Was so much more comfortable with myself. Lot more self confidence. Have a cruise coming up, we leave for Florida next Friday. Have been journaling to remind myself of all the things I need to do be at the weight I am comfortable with. Have a few indulgences, not go all out on desserts, keep an eye on too many carbs. Bread does bloat me out, so will be mindful of that. Plan on walking twice a day with girl friends. Also will try to stick with proteins and veggies as much as possible.

I have too many vacations, so I will have to find a balance. Hopefully once I get my core stronger, stomach wont bloat up every time I eat a dinner roll.

Thank you for all the support and words of wisdom.

I am at 126 this morning, my lowest has been 123.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:19 AM   #344  
IP Round #3: 11/14/2023

S/C/G: 210/184/145

Height: 5'5"/49yo

I am sooooooooo behind! Think it's a been a week that I've been online...things have been crazy busy. Still growing the belly, 16-weeks along so far and my wardrobe is definitely shrinking, all of my shirts are getting short! I am "filling out" for sure...

Yesterday I finally beat down the time change and woke up for my 6.5mi run and did my 2mi warmup+Bodypump this morning. I totally slept in Tue & Thu (Mon is rest day). Tomorrow is long run day (8mi), I still feel fantastic, and it may be TMI but the running really helps get things moving (forgot about pregnancy constipation). The morning workouts really energize me for the day.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:30 AM   #345  
started IP 7/17/2012

S/C/G: 200.5/167/150

Height: 5'4"

Hi, all - another busy week....

Ishbel - my baby sister is taller than her hubby - she wore ballet slippers at her wedding. They were cute and comfy! When is the big day?

LizRR - good to hear that you're doing well. Such an exciting time!

I am off to visit family on Monday. Have not seen my parents and one sister in almost a year. I'm sure my Mom will be helpful with my new food routines, so I am hopeful that I won't gain, but I won't weigh for 2 weeks. No point in weighing on a different scale, I think, since it may be calibrated differently. I'll get in some extra miles walking just to be safe.... At least it will be warmer, since we're headed to NC.
Closed Thread