Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 09:20 AM   #391  
Re-Start 8/6/2012

S/C/G: 202/152/155

Height: 5'7

Great info. I don't know what I would do without you guys!
Old 03-22-2013, 09:52 AM   #392  

S/C/G: 305/163/165

Lesley Welcome! I started Phase 3 with weight watchers bread and moved very quickly over to sprouted grains (because I felt the bread made me feel yucky). Silver hills little big bread (there are 3-4 types of loaves they make) is two pieces of toast (skinny slices) less then 30 grams from grains. You can get them at Costco, Safeway...I've actually since silver hills bread at Shoppers hahaha...also Oroweat from Superstore but that's only one slice. I'm a quantity girl, I like oroweat but having two slices makes me happy.

gazelle Welcome back from Italy!! Way to go, I think all the walking I did in Scotland really helped me. I was ready to do Phase 1 for a week when I got back and I wasn't ready to lose the weight as quickly as I did so I think it was mostly water weight from the travelling.

Lexi sounds like your body stablized

Ok, offically tired of SNOW...HOLY SNOW BATMAN! The highways in Southern Saskatchewan are STILL shut down due to the drifts....

On a lighter note my honeymoon is booked ...I had a huge smile on my face yesterday...I think right now I'm looking MORE forward to that then the actual wedding. No shoes yet though...I need to make a date with a gf to go shopping without the VIP. He doesn't pressure me when I shop but I always feel like I need to move quicker cause he's waiting. He could care less (as far as I can tell - he always tells me to relax).

Last edited by Ishbel; 03-22-2013 at 10:10 AM.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:56 AM   #393  
Reboot Jan 2018

Height: 5'7"

So where did you book for your honeymoon?? I know what you mean about feeling rushed when you're shopping and HE'S waiting lol. My hubby brings his iPad with him when we go shopping to keep himself entertained although most of the time when I come out of a store I find him snoozing. What kind of shoes are you looking for? I got married in October last year and decided to wear flat sparkly pink shoes instead of the typical white. They were so comfy and I plan to wear them again (if we ever get rid of this dang snow!!).
Old 03-22-2013, 10:15 AM   #394  
Restart: 1/5/15

S/C/G: 212/199.2/140

Height: 5'9"/36 yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishbel View Post
OMG I want flat sparkly pink ones!! Which ones did you buy...where...pictures? My sister veto'd TOMS LOL

...a little cabin in the woods, totally secluded ...close to the hot springs
Congrats on booking the honeymoon!! Where are you going?! I had a TERRIBLE time finding flats for my wedding. Of course, I wanted ivory satin, so that made it more difficult, but in general, I found that wedding appropriate flats are kind of hard to come by. I ended up with these in ivory, but I think the blue is cute, too, if you decide not to go pink! http://www.katespade.com/flambe/S182...efault,pd.html

Good luck!
Old 03-22-2013, 10:23 AM   #395  

OMG I want flat sparkly pink ones!! Which ones did you buy...where...pictures? My sister veto'd TOMS LOL

...a little cabin in the woods, totally secluded ...close to the hot springs

Last edited by Ishbel; 03-22-2013 at 10:23 AM.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:41 AM   #396  
Started IP 3/26/12

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by infoplease View Post

As for the carb sensitivity program, that sure sounds like the Phase 3.1 thru 3.9 system I want to invent. I always thought P3 threw too many foods at us at once, when it would be the perfect time to figure out which ones you really should think twice about keeping around long term (especially if you have been doing P1 for a really long time and have that food fear motivating you). Not sure if it really needs to be a week before you take away and reintroduce. I bet three days would be enough, but a week is a nice way to frame what it does weightwise. I think you might be able to create P3 breakfasts that follow the principles, with carbs from just fruits some days and just grains on others and even just potatoes/starchy vegetables at breakfast, too. Not sure how the book allows the dairy or the fat, although I believe the dairy is optional in P3.

That said, it's kind of a slippery slope when you randomly start picking and choosing among different diet concepts, which is NOT to say that if you don't do a fun day or have small "mixed" meals that is doing something wrong. Some stuff I have read indicates "the morning" as being the time when we are most insulin sensitive and that breakfast with carbs should be eaten within a certain time after awakening. Other stuff, that the time to eat carbs is within 45 minutes after working out. Yet other stuff, breakfast being the most important meal of the day is a myth (but the weight registry says that the best maintainers are breakfast eaters). It's almost like it is the art of nutrition instead of the science of nutrition.
I've decided I'm going to continue my P3 phase out 'by the books'... but then I'm pretty sure I'll spend at least a few weeks testing Dr. Turner's protocol. It's occurred to me it's my decision which grains I add to a P3-style breakfast, and I've ended up naturally focusing more on organic, gluten free oatmeal and oat bran, coconut & almond flours, quinoa, etc. - simply because I already had them in stock. I'm going to avoid adding back many carbs from wheat products during the remainder of my time on P3 but focus instead on the others I've noted. I'll test out the wheat products later on, in Maintenance. Lots of time to experiment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKat169 View Post
Infoplease: great post. I agree with what you said about the mental effort of 1200 calories is the same as at 1800 calories. I have used an online food tracker since I started P1 and found that I can now better predict how many calories I'll fall at each day (usually 900-1000). But moving into P3 and soon P4, I don't know what will make up 1800 calories. I think I will need the same year long focus of tracking to get comfortable there and learn what is reasonable portions for maintenance. I have to remind myself that this will take time just like P1 took time. Only there isn't the fun reward of weight loss involved, just trying to stay the same.

The principle of staying a week on one food group is to try different items within the group and give your body time to adjust in terms of weight changes, water retention, etc. Some of the measurements you need to track to determine if you are tolerant may show up right away but others may be a build up effect.

I have been concerned with going overboard on picking too many different diets concepts to follow however I have reasoned for myself that I'll follow IP maintenance guidelines and then what food options I choose within those meals can be Paleo or trying the Carb Sensitivity program, etc. to see what food groups will be best for long term. Funny at work I am involved in insurance actuary analysis and I always say, "as much as they try, insurance pricing isn't an exact science, there is an art to it as well." Yes the same holds true with nutrition.
I've got the same mindset as you - I enjoy reading about different diet concepts, but I'm going to phase out 'by the books' and follow the IP maintenance guidelines re carb and fat separation. But I'm definitely interested in testing the Carb Sensitivity Program to see how I feel/react to her 'hierarchy' of complex carbs, and will start doing this once I finish my 2 weeks on P3. In particular I'm thinking I'll 'test' the return of starchier vegetables, legumes, and the 'heavier' GI wheat products, on a week by week basis once I'm in Maintenance. As I see it, it should be relatively easy to switch in each of these carb sources at breakfast and dinner, week by week, still staying within the Maintenance carb/fat separation guidelines. And lunch will remain standard low carb/higher fat.

And I know for sure that I'll be logging my food intake for months to come. In fact, for me it's the first meal preparation stage... logging in the data for the various menus I'm anticipating in order to see the 'bottom line' nutritionally, for how it fits within the guidelines for that particular meal. Maybe I've grown a little neurotic over it, but..... heck, who cares! LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesley View Post
Great info. I don't know what I would do without you guys!
ITA! This forum is an absolute blessing!

Quote:
Ok, offically tired of SNOW...HOLY SNOW BATMAN! The highways in Southern Saskatchewan are STILL shut down due to the drifts....

On a lighter note my honeymoon is booked ...I had a huge smile on my face yesterday...I think right now I'm looking MORE forward to that then the actual wedding. No shoes yet though...I need to make a date with a gf to go shopping without the VIP. He doesn't pressure me when I shop but I always feel like I need to move quicker cause he's waiting. He could care less (as far as I can tell - he always tells me to relax).
Oh, ITA.... WINTER GO AWAY! It's 'officially' Spring now.... so I want the weather to cooperate too!
And.... Congrats on having the honeymoon booked. I like that idea of a secluded cabin... and the hot springs.
And, as to shopping with a VIP or DH - I hate shopping with anyone else - male OR female!

-------

I'm still holding at the same weight, so that's a relief. This morning's breakfast was my extra lean beef patty/1/2 english muffin/ veggie cheese/red onion + apple slices w. ricotta cheese menu. I get the req'd amount of complex carbs from grains and fruit, but don't feel so 'stuffed'. Plus it's fairly quick to put together, as long as I remember to thaw out a burger the night before.

Have a good day everyone. Cheers for now.

Last edited by evepet; 03-22-2013 at 11:24 AM.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:48 AM   #397  
Reboot Jan 2018

Height: 5'7"

A little cabin sounds perfect!!

I bought mine from Nine West but checking the website I don't see them there any more but here's a picture (of course they look much more pink in person). They were extremely comfy. I think the website may still sell them in a silver sparkle.

But look what I found when I went searching online.....

Old 03-22-2013, 11:05 AM   #398  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazelle View Post
Scorbett-

I have been reading your posts over the last several months and I just wanted to thank you for your tireless dedication to these boards. I always enjoy the advice that you give, and you have such a good, positive way of wording things. I appreciate the patience that you have had with answering the same questions over and over on the other threads. Sometimes I don't post or attempt to answer a question because I am not good at wording things and don't want to be misunderstood. Your posts always seem to say the "perfect" things in such a supportive way. Thanks!

agree!!!
Old 03-22-2013, 11:05 AM   #399  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Aw thanks for the kind words guys!

Ishbel - congrats on booking your honeymoon! I love the pink sparkly flats idea. LOOOOOOVE those TOMS shoes too!

I was getting a little worried, weight had creeped up to the top of my range and I was feeling like crap...should've known TOM was around the corner! Weighed in this morning and in spite of cramps and overall blah, I'm back down 2lbs. I've been following the IP guidelines for my meals, separating big portions of carbs and fats...but my snacks are a little more like Weight Watchers style snacks unless I use a protein bar. I definitely think My Fitness Pal is giving me WAY too many calories - I find I am most comfortable, satisfied but not overfull, around 1600-1700 calories instead of the 1900 they suggest. This weekend won't have an "official" cheat day but I may allow myself a slice of pizza one night as a treat. LOVE the fact that I feel in control of the process!
Old 03-22-2013, 03:57 PM   #400  

S/C/G: 210/145/145

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorbett1103 View Post
I was getting a little worried, weight had creeped up to the top of my range and I was feeling like crap...should've known TOM was around the corner! Weighed in this morning and in spite of cramps and overall blah, I'm back down 2lbs. I've been following the IP guidelines for my meals, separating big portions of carbs and fats...but my snacks are a little more like Weight Watchers style snacks unless I use a protein bar. I definitely think My Fitness Pal is giving me WAY too many calories - I find I am most comfortable, satisfied but not overfull, around 1600-1700 calories instead of the 1900 they suggest. This weekend won't have an "official" cheat day but I may allow myself a slice of pizza one night as a treat. LOVE the fact that I feel in control of the process!
I have been finding it hard to keep the carbs and fats separated without eliminating them and eating like phase 1. I have been finding that limiting the calories easier and more satisfying. (Like the one slice of pizza you mentioned.) This is definitely an eating learning curve. Thanks for sharing all your posts, you have saved me a great deal of questions and research to keep me on track.

Happy day everyone!
Old 03-22-2013, 04:15 PM   #401  
Re-Start 8/6/2012

Quote:
Lesley Welcome! I started Phase 3 with weight watchers bread and moved very quickly over to sprouted grains (because I felt the bread made me feel yucky). Silver hills little big bread (there are 3-4 types of loaves they make) is two pieces of toast (skinny slices) less then 30 grams from grains. You can get them at Costco, Safeway...I've actually since silver hills bread at Shoppers hahaha...also Oroweat from Superstore but that's only one slice. I'm a quantity girl, I like oroweat but having two slices makes me happy.

I hear ya on the quantity thing! I put everything on its own plate just so that it looks like a TON of food! lol. I am going to try some of your suggestions!

I am tucked in by Yorkton, I managed to escape this last shot of snow! Not that we don't still have loads of it!

Very exciting honeymoon news!! P.s I didn't wear shoes at our wedding! Lol! Barefoot all day! Haha drove my mother crazy!
Old 03-22-2013, 05:06 PM   #402  

S/C/G: 202.4/161/145

Height: 5' 6"

Ishbel, best of luck with the shoes! I'm sure whatever you pick will be wonderful! What are your other colors for your wedding? Those glitter TOMS come in a bunch of colors. You could even have them be your "something blue"!

I like to lurk in here, but the TOMS post made me realize that they will be a reward for when I get to 160. I have a cute pair picked out. So....I'm sorry that you're having issues finding wedding shoes, but glad that this discussion came up. I haven't done any rewards yet.

You ladies are such a wealth of knowledge and inspiration! I appreciate that you post and that you are honest about maintenance and what your struggles are. I think I will Phase off like evepet...by the book, and then eat a more Paleo/Whole30 style in Phase 4. And I know there will be people to answer questions here. Thank you in advance!

Also...Cheekyskeeter...I am coveting some of your boots.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:46 PM   #403  
Re-Start 8/6/2012

Ok. First phase 4 supper and I am freaking out!

DH really wants tacos - is that something I could have now? I realize that there would be no sour cream or even cheese involved, but can I have a shell? It feels so taboo to be able to eat carbs! Ugh!

P.s - anyone want to be buds on My Fitness Pal? Surely some of you are using it?

P.p.s - stats on shell per mfp are:

Cal - 50 grams
Total fat - 2.2
Sat - 2 (I answered my own question didn't I?)
Carbs - 7
Fiber - 1

Last edited by Lesley; 03-22-2013 at 06:49 PM.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:08 PM   #404  

Have the shell and if you have plain fat free yogurt (i use greek) you have sour cream . Breathe, it will be ok. . Be sure to add salsa green onions, yum!

Last edited by Ishbel; 03-22-2013 at 07:08 PM.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:10 PM   #405  
Re-Start 8/6/2012

Quote:
Have the shell and if you have plain fat free yogurt (i use greek) you have sour cream . Breathe, it will be ok. . Be sure to add salsa green onions, yum!
I could hug you.

Closed Thread