Old 10-10-2012, 03:03 PM   #436  
In from the cold

S/C/G: 277 / ticker / 235

Height: 6'3 / 191cm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
I can tell you this much. I went from keeping my AC on 68. to now its on 72 and i do still get cold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyrysk View Post
That layer of fat makes for a good insulator. I'm the same way the AC is set at 74 now instead of 68. DW seams to always be cold.
Thanks BD & hyrysk. I wonder how much of that warmth-retaining at a higher wait is from human fat as insulation, and how much of it is surface-area-to-mass ratio. From what I understand, human fat isn't actually a very good insulator, at least not the kind we're trying to lose; the kind of fat around the internal organs may help insulate against heat & cold rather more.

One reason small animals and people get cold is that they have a high surface-area-to-mass ratio; i.e. they have more surface for each unit of mass. You'll often see a chihuahua dog shivering. One reason for that (not the only reason, but one) is that it's not very far from any internal part of the chihuahua to the outside, and that the poor little pup has a lot of skin to lose heat through for each lb of weight. Of course, there are other factors, but...

At any rate, I'm hoping to reduce my surface-area-to-mass ratio!

Day 1 of IP: it has been 18 hours since I ate anything other than protein pouches and salad. I'm hungry and possibly a bit grouchy, but I've certainly gone longer than this without eating at all, so I'd imagine the worst is yet to come... but the IP success stories speak for themselves, so I'm in this to become one of those!

Thanks everyone for all the welcomes, and Chunk Yeager, keep the stories coming!

Last edited by WinterWarm; 10-10-2012 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Clarification
WinterWarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:51 PM   #437  
Dieting Since Birth!

S/C/G: 308/ Ticker /208

WW...give it a few days...you will get past the headache (usually day 2 or 3) and in my case the "bathrooms" at day 3-4...then it was juts hungry after that! haha!
Rock it w2!
jake
mammoth357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:57 PM   #438  
Started IP Sept 21 2012

S/C/G: 272/235/200

Height: 6' 1"

Hi Guys, just popping in to say hello.......... I've been checking the site out for a couple weeks now, finally bit the bullet and joined. Many of you have been an inspiration...........and I thought it only fair to say thanks.

So thanks

Ron
Big Ron 43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:56 AM   #439  
Began IP 3-29-2012

S/C/G: 470/316/220

Height: 6'00"

Down a total of 144 now. It's been quite a while since I've seen a loss. I'm working the program right again instead of just maintaining.
usmcvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:03 AM   #440  
Started IP Sept 21 2012

S/C/G: 272/235/200

Height: 6' 1"

144 pounds.........that's simply amazing. Congrats on the continued success
Big Ron 43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:31 AM   #441  

S/C/G: 338.6/218/210

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post
Down a total of 144 now. It's been quite a while since I've seen a loss. I'm working the program right again instead of just maintaining.
Way to go VET.Glad to see you back at it. Sometimes I think our mind needs a break from working at it so hard. It's nice to know if you relax a little you can get back to losing when you want to push it agian. When I did it it showed me maintnance won't be that difficult as long as I don't let it get away from me.

Welcome Big Ron. This can be an intresting bunch of losers.
hyrysk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:18 AM   #442  
In from the cold

S/C/G: 277 / ticker / 235

Height: 6'3 / 191cm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ron 43 View Post
Wow. Just goes to show you can achieve wonderful things when you put your mind to it. Congratulations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammoth357 View Post
WW...give it a few days...you will get past the headache (usually day 2 or 3) and in my case the "bathrooms" at day 3-4...then it was juts hungry after that! haha!
Rock it w2!
jake
Haha, thanks! I'm hoping it won't be too bad, but then I would hope that, wouldn't I? Weirdly I wasn't even hungry when I woke up this morning. I wonder if... well, I gotta confess that I ate a lot of, well, everything for a few days right before I started IP yesterday, so I suspect I'm still coasting on all that stored glycogen from my pre-IP feasting.

Last edited by WinterWarm; 10-11-2012 at 10:27 AM.
WinterWarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:54 AM   #443  
Began IP 3-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ron 43 View Post
Thanks man. The first 107 went in three months. I have another hundred to loose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyrysk View Post
Way to go VET.Glad to see you back at it. Sometimes I think our mind needs a break from working at it so hard. It's nice to know if you relax a little you can get back to losing when you want to push it again. When I did it it showed me maintenance won't be that difficult as long as I don't let it get away from me.

Welcome Big Ron. This can be an interesting bunch of losers.
I agree. I did not hit the carbs hard but was not getting all my veggies and was eating more carbs and protein than I should have been. But I maintained for several months with in five pounds. So I'm going to hit it hard again and get this done. I need more freaking pants, the ones I have on are too loose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterWarm View Post
Wow. Just goes to show you can achieve wonderful things when you put your mind to it. Congratulations!
Thanks Man. It works if we work it.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:08 PM   #444  
Dieting Since Birth!

Welcome back to the program brother Vet! And nice job keeping it within 5 lbs that whole time...awesome! Now that you are seriously back op, you will drop weight hard & fast I bet! Good job bro!

Howdy Big Ron! You have some nice loss going there...congrats!

Cold: I have been feeling COLD also...I find I am wearing a sweat shirt more and more even in the dang house! Too funny! Other times I feel like I am burning up! I am thinking maybe its the "change" as the ladies call it....the old Menopause! Haha! So long as I don't start getting a time of month!

Cheers
Jake
Old 10-11-2012, 03:23 PM   #445  

Had to share.

I just got back from a pre-bid conference and job walk. (I am the chief estimator for an electrical construction company) DW works for the University and is a HUB coordinator so she was there as well. We have always made it a policy that we don’t mingle or hang out together and very rarely even acknowledge each other at business meetings. Her co-workers have not seen me since Christmas last year (122 lbs ago). As it turned out we were the first 2 to show up so as soon as someone else got there we split and I sat on the other end of the room. DW has lost 55lbs so she really looks good (IP gave me my sexy wife back). Three or four of her co-workers showed up and sat at her end of the room. The project manager who was there told her she was looking good and started asking her about her diet. Then he asked if I was on the diet with her. Instead of pointing me out to him she acted like I wasn’t there and started telling them about my loss and how much better I feel. She told them that I look like a totally different person and that they probably wouldn’t recognize me if they saw me. It’s kind of funny listening to a conversation about you while you’re sitting across the table like your invisible. She must have had fun with it though because she sent me a text after it was over telling me she was trying to see how long it would take them to figure it out but no one did. I kept texting her in the meeting and all I got was a dirty look from across the room. Guess you have to have fun with things like that.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:44 PM   #446  
Dieting Since Birth!

Hey H...thats super! Just an awesome story...you both sound like you had a blast with it! I have been job-hunting the past few weeks to add something dependable to my fading sales the company I own has been experiencing...and I have had long hair for many years...so most likely will be cutting it off and with my weight loss, I expect to have the same fun when I run across people who have not seen me in awhile!
Cheers
Jake
Old 10-11-2012, 04:13 PM   #447  

It's been amazing how all of a sudden you become approachable to strangers when your not as big.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:44 PM   #448  
Began IP 3-29-2012

Awesome NSV's. Here is mine. Along with a handful of complements from different people and nice congratulatory hug and kiss from a friend/beautiful woman.

Well I bought six new pair of underwear today. Boxer briefs! I just got home and tried a pair on. Heavenly and they're 2X down from tight 4X!
Old 10-11-2012, 04:58 PM   #449  

S/C/G: 330/319/230

Height: 6'-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post
Awesome NSV's. Here is mine. Along with a handful of complements from different people and nice congratulatory hug and kiss from a friend/beautiful woman.

Well I bought six new pair of underwear today. Boxer briefs! I just got home and tried a pair on. Heavenly and they're 2X down from tight 4X!
holy briefs batman good deal VET.....
Big Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:08 PM   #450  

I can remember it taking longer to tuck in my shorts than it did my shirt. I know what my wife means by getting your panties in a wad

Last edited by hyrysk; 10-11-2012 at 05:10 PM.