Old 10-09-2012, 05:38 PM   #421  
In from the cold

S/C/G: 277 / ticker / 235

Height: 6'3 / 191cm

Default Starting IP tomorrow

Hey everyone - new here, new to dieting too. I've tried "eating sensibly" before and it sort of works, but it's quite a vague goal and my willpower is, well, let's say... variable. I'd like to lose more weight so I have a real achievement (and a new wardrobe) to defend so I won't be able to do that "ah who cares, it's just one big meal" thing so easily. I've done that before (lost 10 or 15lb through better eating and increased exercise) and then slid right back where I started. Hence IP.

I'm currently 30 years old, 6'3 & 276lb. Went for my initial coach meeting this morning. It went well and I feel motivated. She told me she'd never worked with someone with as much lean mass before (estimated: 190lb or so) and she may need to tweak some aspects of the program as a result. For starters she's assigned me 5 IP foods, two dinners & two snacks per day, as she's concerned that my greater-than-average nutritional requirements might otherwise cause me to become too weak/faint.

I've told my co-workers what I'm up to, and they are supportive (although more than one has jokingly asked me not to consider them as a possible food source if the hunger does get too bad). I'm hoping that the lows won't last too long and that ketosis will save me from too much hunger/empty/craving feeling.

It has been observed by friends & family many times that were an 'average' person to eat what I eat (what's average, anyway?) then they would fairly quickly become very overweight indeed - that lean mass is what has kept me in sort-of-good shape, and I'm hoping that on IP it will fairly quickly cause me to lose weight (in a positive way). We'll see! I'm also notorious for being the last person to feel the cold when it is cold (hence the username), and I have been wondering if losing 1/7th of my body weight will affect that - anyone have any thoughts on that?

I'm ~31% body fat at the moment, and the first goal is to get down to 25%. Wish me luck/willpower (and I wish the same to all of you, too!)

Shame I don't get a signature yet, but I'll put my ticker there once I'm there.

Last edited by WinterWarm; 10-09-2012 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Typo
WinterWarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:03 PM   #422  
~John Wayne~ On:6/21/2012

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobylspoon View Post
I just had my first WI. I am down 7lbs (1% fat loss 1% muscle gain). Damn I'm feeling good
Way to go!!
jwdesselle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:07 PM   #423  
~John Wayne~ On:6/21/2012

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterWarm View Post
I'm ~31% body fat at the moment, and the first goal is to get down to 25%. Wish me luck/willpower (and I wish the same to all of you, too!)

Welcome and good luck there WinterWarm. I am sure if your coach knows what they are doing they will be able to make the program work for you, at least I hope they can.

I just reached my 25.0% yesterday. It felt great to be at the threshold of 'normal'
jwdesselle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:31 PM   #424  
Dieting Since Birth!

S/C/G: 308/ Ticker /208

Wow...been gone a few days and LOTS of CONGRATS to give here! So rather then list them all....CONGRATS to all who posted the past few days and have them coming! haha! Lazy or what!

And welcome to Winter...Good Luck on your journey!

Vet: Nice ring man! So cool your doing hunter safety with your son....I used to teach it at the local range, great course!
Later all
Jake
mammoth357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:42 AM   #425  

S/C/G: 330/319/230

Height: 6'-0

Quote:
Hey everyone - new here, new to dieting too. I've tried "eating sensibly" before and it sort of works, but it's quite a vague goal and my willpower is, well, let's say... variable. I'd like to lose more weight so I have a real achievement (and a new wardrobe) to defend so I won't be able to do that "ah who cares, it's just one big meal" thing so easily. I've done that before (lost 10 or 15lb through better eating and increased exercise) and then slid right back where I started. Hence IP.

I'm currently 30 years old, 6'3 & 276lb. Went for my initial coach meeting this morning. It went well and I feel motivated. She told me she'd never worked with someone with as much lean mass before (estimated: 190lb or so) and she may need to tweak some aspects of the program as a result. For starters she's assigned me 5 IP foods, two dinners & two snacks per day, as she's concerned that my greater-than-average nutritional requirements might otherwise cause me to become too weak/faint.

I've told my co-workers what I'm up to, and they are supportive (although more than one has jokingly asked me not to consider them as a possible food source if the hunger does get too bad). I'm hoping that the lows won't last too long and that ketosis will save me from too much hunger/empty/craving feeling.

It has been observed by friends & family many times that were an 'average' person to eat what I eat (what's average, anyway?) then they would fairly quickly become very overweight indeed - that lean mass is what has kept me in sort-of-good shape, and I'm hoping that on IP it will fairly quickly cause me to lose weight (in a positive way). We'll see! I'm also notorious for being the last person to feel the cold when it is cold (hence the username), and I have been wondering if losing 1/7th of my body weight will affect that - anyone have any thoughts on that?

I can tell you this much. I went from keeping my AC on 68. to now its on 72 and i do still get cold.
Big Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:34 AM   #426  

S/C/G: 338.6/218/210

Height: 5'11"

Welcom Winter

That layer of fat makes for a good insulator. I'm the same way the AC is set at 74 now instead of 68. DW seams to always be cold.
hyrysk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:49 AM   #427  
Started IP on 10/06/2012

S/C/G: 266/249/175

Height: 68"

Default I know I'm not supposed to Cross-Post, but retyping my INTRO would be too big a pain

SO......here I am...third post.....BREAKIN' THE RULES:

Please forgive me:

Good morning all!!!

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Officially started IP on Saturday 10/6 - ramped up to it using some EAS CarbadvantEdge drinks, veg and almost zero (or as close as I could come) carbs in the days leading up, so that when I "OFFICIALLY" started IP, I'd be ketotic or pretty darn close to it.

I was peeing smelly and had the metallic taste in my mouth by Day 2. I'm a former Atkins guy, so I know ketosis when I smell it - and unfortunately - my wife has put out the "DO NOT TRESPASS" sign as she's not a big fan of the odors coming out of, and wafting around me. (Sorry if it's TMI for a first post)

But I share because I care. I care about living longer, living a more healthful life and I want to be around a long time. This site has been an absolute Godsend to me since I started down this path. I know 2 people who have lost a lot (man lost 100#, and woman has lost 30# so far and is still falling) - so I have personal knowledge of others who have succeeded, and I'm formerly from the medical profession, so I understand MOST of the chemistry behind all of this. My wife - who IS in the medical profession is much more supportive of this lifestyle versus Atkins - she couldn't argue with the results of Atkins - my blood chemistries changed DRAMATICALLY (Triglycerides went from 497 to 189 in 12 weeks), but she vehemently fought me on the process, the unlimited calories and the unlimited fat. This program seems to take the best of a lot of different protocols and meshes them into one that works for the long haul.

I'll be asking lots of questions - none of them short - I'm of Irish lineage and we dont communicate in 2 sentences....we tell stories. I'll post my first story after lunch today when I have time. (It involves my Coach - ALREADY!!!)

As for my moniker - I've started on my bucket list - at 45 years old, I'm starting to recognize my mortality and now have the time to start ticking some of the more exciting things off my list.

I've wanted to learn to fly since I was 7 or 8. I finally got around to it in May of this year. I'd been searching for 5 years. I couldnt find the combination of available plane that was big enough (but still fit my flight profile) and an Instructor who was small enough (Under 160#) to learn to fly - The License I'm getting restricts the total weight of plane, fuel and people to 600Kg, so I was hamstrung. I finally found an 83 year old guy that had the plane and the size and I've been flying with him all summer - once I can post photos, I'll post my First Solo photo. I've done all my solo time, but now, before I can get my license I have to fly with a "Pilot Examiner" who will give me a flight test. There are no Pilot Examiners within 500 miles of me who weigh LESS than 180-190# - so the plane would be overweight. So I cant get my license till I either a. buy a $125K plane (NOT GOING TO HAPPEN) or b. Lose a bunch of weight.

My brother saw a photo of me and my instructor in the cockpit while I was flying one day (we were squished in there pretty good) and named me "CHUNK YEAGER" - and it stuck. Now everyone calls me Chunk.

That......I guess......Is my FIRST Story.
Chunk Yeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:58 AM   #428  
Started IP April 27, 2011

S/C/G: 408//199/199

Height: 5'8

Rules???....ha....we break them all the time....This is the MEN's thread but I post in there all the time...I am like the momma...hahahha...glad to see you made it here
wuv2bloved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:09 AM   #429  

S/C/G: 330/319/230

Height: 6'-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunk Yeager View Post

Please forgive me:

Good morning all!!!

Officially started IP on Saturday 10/6 - ramped up to it using some EAS CarbadvantEdge drinks, veg and almost zero (or as close as I could come) carbs in the days leading up, so that when I "OFFICIALLY" started IP, I'd be ketotic or pretty darn close to it.

I was peeing smelly and had the metallic taste in my mouth by Day 2. I'm a former Atkins guy, so I know ketosis when I smell it - and unfortunately - my wife has put out the "DO NOT TRESPASS" sign as she's not a big fan of the odors coming out of, and wafting around me. (Sorry if it's TMI for a first post)

But I share because I care. I care about living longer, living a more healthful life and I want to be around a long time. This site has been an absolute Godsend to me since I started down this path. I know 2 people who have lost a lot (man lost 100#, and woman has lost 30# so far and is still falling) - so I have personal knowledge of others who have succeeded, and I'm formerly from the medical profession, so I understand MOST of the chemistry behind all of this. My wife - who IS in the medical profession is much more supportive of this lifestyle versus Atkins - she couldn't argue with the results of Atkins - my blood chemistries changed DRAMATICALLY (Triglycerides went from 497 to 189 in 12 weeks), but she vehemently fought me on the process, the unlimited calories and the unlimited fat. This program seems to take the best of a lot of different protocols and meshes them into one that works for the long haul.

I'll be asking lots of questions - none of them short - I'm of Irish lineage and we dont communicate in 2 sentences....we tell stories. I'll post my first story after lunch today when I have time. (It involves my Coach - ALREADY!!!)

As for my moniker - I've started on my bucket list - at 45 years old, I'm starting to recognize my mortality and now have the time to start ticking some of the more exciting things off my list.

I've wanted to learn to fly since I was 7 or 8. I finally got around to it in May of this year. I'd been searching for 5 years. I couldnt find the combination of available plane that was big enough (but still fit my flight profile) and an Instructor who was small enough (Under 160#) to learn to fly - The License I'm getting restricts the total weight of plane, fuel and people to 600Kg, so I was hamstrung. I finally found an 83 year old guy that had the plane and the size and I've been flying with him all summer - once I can post photos, I'll post my First Solo photo. I've done all my solo time, but now, before I can get my license I have to fly with a "Pilot Examiner" who will give me a flight test. There are no Pilot Examiners within 500 miles of me who weigh LESS than 180-190# - so the plane would be overweight. So I cant get my license till I either a. buy a $125K plane (NOT GOING TO HAPPEN) or b. Lose a bunch of weight.

My brother saw a photo of me and my instructor in the cockpit while I was flying one day (we were squished in there pretty good) and named me "CHUNK YEAGER" - and it stuck. Now everyone calls me Chunk.

i think i am gonna like having you around. i love to read stories. lol. bring them on man.
Big Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:42 AM   #430  
Began IP 3-29-2012

S/C/G: 470/316/220

Height: 6'00"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunk Yeager View Post

Please forgive me:

Good morning all!!!

No rules here brother. Welcome. I look forward to reading more, especially when you reach goal and pass your test!

Quote:

Welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammoth357 View Post
Wow...been gone a few days and LOTS of CONGRATS to give here! So rather then list them all....CONGRATS to all who posted the past few days and have them coming! haha! Lazy or what!

And welcome to Winter...Good Luck on your journey!

Vet: Nice ring man! So cool your doing hunter safety with your son....I used to teach it at the local range, great course!
Later all
Jake
Thanks Man. It's really too big to wear at work but it's making me smile so I am going to wear it a while longer. I look forward to being able to wear it on my right hand, which is bigger.
usmcvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:01 PM   #431  

Welcome Chunk we love stories around here. I think if you wanted to find anyone who could help you figure out how to break the rules you have come to the right place. I completely understand your goal. One of my short term goals was to be able to ride the horses at the Dude Ranch where we have our family reunion every 4 years. They have a sign that says “245lb. weight limit. Please don’t make us ask.”.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:19 PM   #432  
Started IP on 10/06/2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyrysk View Post
Welcome Chunk we love stories around here. I think if you wanted to find anyone who could help you figure out how to break the rules you have come to the right place. I completely understand your goal. One of my short term goals was to be able to ride the horses at the Dude Ranch where we have our family reunion every 4 years. They have a sign that says “245lb. weight limit. Please don’t make us ask.”.
I ride semi-regularly. We own horses (boarded elsewhere) and I've got a big quarterhorse that I got for Christmas maybe 8 years ago. We had just a few wants for a horse for me: 1. He had to be big (obviously) 2. Preferably Man-Raised - I dont think people realize that very few horses are raised by men (at least in the mid-west) - most are raised by women and the only contact that many/most horses around her have with men is for the Vet or the Farrier - both of which stress the bejeezus out of the horses.

I would occasionally help my wife saddle her horse and she (the horse) would see me coming with a saddle towards her and her eyes would grow to the size of saucers!!!! She thought I'd be riding her (she's the first horse I ever rode) and she much preferred my wife's 115# to my 250+ pounds. Shoot....half the reason that I'd help saddle the horse was to get that reaction......the other half of the reason was the tight riding pants the women wear.

I'd suggest calling the Dude ranch a couple of months before you go if you're not to your goal yet - chances are they have or know of where there's a big boy that they can borrow for a ride or two. (I ride a BIG boy in Arizona every winter when I go out to visit my mom) I call early and ask that they make sure that "BERT" is around during the week and then tell them that me and BERT are old friends - They always make sure Bert's there - but then again, I tip them like a madman too.....nothing like the Arizona desert/mountains on horseback!!!!

Thanks for all the welcomes!!!!!

Last edited by Chunk Yeager; 10-10-2012 at 12:20 PM. Reason: removed a swear word. I do that a lot.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:50 PM   #433  

I ride a couple of times a week We have 3 horses at the house. I have a big thourobred that I ride and she handled me at 320 and now she thinks she can jump with me on her. Im with you on the reasons to hang around the barn. The College riding team rides at the same barn as the wife and daughter. Spandex can be good and bad. depends on the view.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:53 PM   #434  
Started IP on 10/06/2012

Quote:
Im with you on the reasons to hang around the barn. The College riding team rides at the same barn as the wife and daughter. Spandex can be good and bad. depends on the view.
I JUST....JUST had this conversation around a table of guys drinking beer (while I was chugging water) - someone asked why I was always hanging out with the horse/barn/manure.

My response: Rich Chicks, Tight Pants. Any Questions?

Quote:
Spandex can be good and bad. depends on the view.
AMEN BROTHER.....AMEN!!!!!
Old 10-10-2012, 02:20 PM   #435  
Dieting Since Birth!

S/C/G: 308/ Ticker /208

Hey Chunkster. welcome to the farm! You will be just fine with this program. I also was an atkins guy, and lost over 100lbs on atkins...then I stalled for like 4 months and switched over to IP...I go it alone, no clinic and no coach, and I use EAS shakes only, no Ip foods, no restricted items....weight loss was great, slowing some now but I keep chuggin ahead.

I ride whenever I get down to Tucson for business...at least once a year...I drive down to Tombstone and there is a wrangler there whose service I use. Surprisingly, the horse is not that large. She is the lead Mare...named Chulla...and handles me easily. Of course when I get down there next, she may be relieved to see I have shrunk some! I always bring here an apple, so maybe that works for her! I tried getting an apple for my wife, but did not get the same warm results! haha!
Good luck and nice meeting you!\Jake

Last edited by mammoth357; 10-10-2012 at 02:22 PM.
mammoth357 is offline   Reply With Quote