Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 09:01 PM   #241  

S/C/G: 196.6/130/134

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuv2bloved View Post
Well Dana we never know how long we will be with out power with this kinda stuff. Last time it was weeks before the power returned, its better to be over prepared than under prepared. This one is almost going to hit on the anniversary of Katrina so it just brings back memories of staying gone for 29 days and coming back to nothing
That must be absolutely terrifying, Lisa!
Old 08-25-2012, 10:59 PM   #242  
Restart IP 8/29/12

S/C/G: 191/167/140

Height: 5'6"

Wuv, I just saw the latest models for Isaac looks like it's headed straight for you. Hope you are stocked up on ice as well. Guess I will have to make plans tomorrow. Hopefully we will stay on the west side of it. The east side is much worse for us. Eventhough Katrina was closer to us, we had more damage from Rita a few weeks later. We do keep about 6 gallons of water in the freezer at all times. Guess it has to hit somewhere. Being prepared is key.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:39 AM   #243  
Started IP 11/28/2011

S/C/G: 260.8/144/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewPath View Post
That must be absolutely terrifying, Lisa!
We put in standby a generator after losing power for a week with Hurricane Gustav. My husband's elderly aunt lives in our guest house, and the lack of power nearly did her in. She's 90 now and completely bedridden. I just hope her sitters will work through the storm because I don't know how we're going to take care of her otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammabell View Post
Wuv, I just saw the latest models for Isaac looks like it's headed straight for you. Hope you are stocked up on ice as well. Guess I will have to make plans tomorrow. Hopefully we will stay on the west side of it. The east side is much worse for us. Eventhough Katrina was closer to us, we had more damage from Rita a few weeks later. We do keep about 6 gallons of water in the freezer at all times. Guess it has to hit somewhere. Being prepared is key.
Mammabell, Katrina was worse for us because we're not too far from New Orleans, but we took a bit of damage from Rita too. Gustav was the one that hit us the hardest of late.

I'm heading out tomorrow to get some supplies. We need some more bottled water. After Gustav, we actually had to get some from the National Guard because we were without power for so long.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:56 AM   #244  
Feed Your Freedom

S/C/G: 399.8/362.0/224

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SewingMomma View Post
We put in standby a generator after losing power for a week with Hurricane Gustav. My husband's elderly aunt lives in our guest house, and the lack of power nearly did her in. She's 90 now and completely bedridden. I just hope her sitters will work through the storm because I don't know how we're going to take care of her otherwise.

Mammabell, Katrina was worse for us because we're not too far from New Orleans, but we took a bit of damage from Rita too. Gustav was the one that hit us the hardest of late.

I'm heading out tomorrow to get some supplies. We need some more bottled water. After Gustav, we actually had to get some from the National Guard because we were without power for so long.
sending prayers that everyone is safe. glad you are going to get supplies and be ready. scary thing to have to worry over family members that are bedridden. i keep mentioning to dh to get a generator!!! we too live on the coast. make sure you get some extra gas too!!
hugs and stay safe
Old 08-26-2012, 08:04 AM   #245  
Started IP 11/28/2011

S/C/G: 260.8/144/150

Height: 5'4"

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowsmiles View Post
sending prayers that everyone is safe. glad you are going to get supplies and be ready. scary thing to have to worry over family members that are bedridden. i keep mentioning to dh to get a generator!!! we too live on the coast. make sure you get some extra gas too!!
hugs and stay safe
The generator is awesome. It's A permanent one that's hooked up to the natural gas line coming in to our home, and it kicks on whenever the power goes out. It was well worth the $$. You guys really should get one. We haven't had a hurricane come through since we put ours in, but it has kicked in several times because of power outages. Our kids love it because it runs the entire house, so they have a/c, computers, and television! They really are spoiled!

Thanks for the reminder about the gas. I need to make sure the cars are tanked up. After Katrina, very few gas stations around here had gasoline, and if they did, the lines were horrendously long.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:16 AM   #246  
Started IP 1/16/2012

Location: Pine Mountain, Georgia & on a little lake in NE Michigan

S/C/G: 291/171.4/175

Good morning all

Just checking in to let you know I'm still around. Up in Michigan dealing with slow dialup until we get on the road again tomorrow. I am staying 100% OP even running around to car shows.

Just saw a couple posts about Isaac. My prayers to all that may be in the path. Just like I don't get online here much, don't see too much news and weather (don't have TV)

Molly
Old 08-26-2012, 09:18 AM   #247  
Feed Your Freedom

S/C/G: 399.8/362.0/224

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingnutandMe View Post
Good morning all

Just checking in to let you know I'm still around. Up in Michigan dealing with slow dialup until we get on the road again tomorrow. I am staying 100% OP even running around to car shows.

Just saw a couple posts about Isaac. My prayers to all that may be in the path. Just like I don't get online here much, don't see too much news and weather (don't have TV)

Molly

love you molly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-26-2012, 12:53 PM   #248  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quick check-in as I'm trying to restore order to my house after party mayhem yesterday Prayers to those who may be hit by Isaac, hurricane season is a you-know-what and definitely worse on the southern folks.

The littlest's birthday party was a huge success, and I managed to stay 100% OP the whole time! Temptations everywhere, but just when I'd start to THINK about cheating, someone would ask me if I lost weight The kids and parents were exhausted and I passed out cold on the couch Post-party hangover meant not wanting to clean off the table for breakfast, so I had a Wildberry yogurt shake and brought the fam to IHOP.

I'll catch up later, back to work for me!!
Old 08-26-2012, 02:26 PM   #249  

S/C/G: restart 9/2/14

Hope everyone having to deal with Issac stays safe. Hugs to all!
Old 08-26-2012, 03:47 PM   #250  
IP Round #3: 11/14/2023

S/C/G: 210/184/145

Height: 5'5"/49yo

This day has turned out pretty crazy! My husband was working in the backyard all day, father-in-law came to help. I got a TON of 'little chores' done at home with my little guy running around. I thought my mother-in-law was coming over too, but I found out with 30-minutes left at the gym daycare she wasn't - so I BOOKED it over and squeezed in a really quick run. I pushed it, and did one of the fastest paces I can remember in a LONG time - 8:50min/mi average, but I actually did the last mile at ~8min/mile. I still don't know my "limits" so I started off at what I thought was fast, and bumped it up every few minutes until I finally got a good pace. I was VERY surprised!

We are heading out to a fancy steakhouse with the inlaws as well for a 4-course prixe-fixe menu. I am sharing with my son, and know EXACTLY what is being served, so I at least know what I am giving to my little guy. I am not sure how many changes can be accomodated to the courses I plan to eat, so I'm not going to sweat if there are some carrot shavings on my salad, etc. But the eggroll, potatoes, and dessert are definitely not on my menu.
http://delfriscos.com/menupdfs/Dalla...-Menu-2012.pdf

I am sooooooo glad I broke out our big, behemoth ice cream machine this weekend! The thing is ~30lb and a bit bulky, but it really does work great - it belonged to my husbands grandmother and I guess they don't make them like that anymore. Can't believe I waited so long to get that thing out - I found a more convenient place in the kitchen for it, so easy access! I had fun trying out some Cucumber & Lettuce Sorbet/Sherbert recipes. I'm going for a Rhubarb Ice Cream tonight using Wildberry Yogurt & Rhubarb Jam. I liked the idea of the Cucumber & Lettuce Sorbet's - the Cucumber turned out FANTASTIC - the Lettuce was more of an Italian Ice. The old ice cream machine comes with an old recipe book that has a big bunch of 'veggie ice cream' recipes! I was pleased to see the Lettuce Sorbet in there - 'Free Sorbet'!!!

This day has turned into a Hybrid Phase 1/Phase 3 day today - hubby loves the Strawberry & Cream Stuffed French Toast. I am going to try out some Quinoa breakfast dishes this week - although, who am I kidding - I am going to first make a double batch of Apricot Cheesecake for the next couple days!

Last edited by LizRR; 08-26-2012 at 03:51 PM.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:13 PM   #251  

S/C/G: 205.6/145.2/140

Height: 5'5"

Just stopped in to say I hope that all of you in the line of the storm are safe, and snug. My prayers are with you all.

For everyone with upcoming WIs (that would be all of us *grin*) best wishes to you all.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:00 AM   #252  
Diane on track July 2014

S/C/G: 230/221/180

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewPath View Post
I am going through major back to school transition stuff. I am in the process of writing up new goals for me...between September and January. I had so much fun taking care of me this summer and setting and reaching so many goals, both personal and IP related. At first I was sad to be leaving summer behind, but then I realized that it was my quest for improvement and meeting my goals......so, onwards. New goals here we go! Have a great day everyone, I hope you all safe in the storm. Please check in when you can.
I totally understand what you're saying! I teach too and am really worried about how I'll adjust to my new routines once the madness of September begins. I bought myself ice cube trays that have a lid so I could put my name on them at work, but I know they'll all get used for every "boo boo" that comes along... LOL

I love that you set yourself some goals so you can self-monitor as the months go by... good idea! I should do that too!

Best wishes next week!
Old 08-27-2012, 09:20 AM   #253  
Started IP 12 Apr 12

S/C/G: 270/179/170

Height: 5'4

Good morning all, well got the preparations done in front of Isaac's arrival, right now we are on "liberal leave" at work which means that we can take leave without supervisory approval in case we need to evacuate (I evacuate if the winds go above 100 miles an hr. that's a category 2 storm), I'm here at my desk, the winds and rain have not started yet. The track has taken Isaac on a westerly jaunt away from us which is good and not good at the same time, right now we're not looking at a direct hit BUT they are calling for 8-9 inches of rain tomorrow alone, that means flooding, gotta watch out for snakes! We'll be alright, when you live in Florida you learn how to prepare for emergencies such as this. I might not get to check in in the event we loose power Tues-Wed timeframe, but I will let you know how we weathered the storm when I can. Talk at you all later.

Last edited by shathom; 08-27-2012 at 09:21 AM.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:16 AM   #254  

S/C/G: 328.2/205/178

Height: 5'8"

Be safe, everyone!
Old 08-27-2012, 10:19 AM   #255  
Started IP 6/14/12

S/C/G: 202.8/165/135

Height: 5'1"

Good morning!

My thoughts and prayers are with all of you in the path of Isaac.

I'm further north in LA, so I'll get rain and wind. But I'm always here to help in shelters if needed. Hopefully, this storm will weaken before landfall.

Stay safe, dear ones!
Closed Thread