Old 05-30-2013, 01:17 PM   #271  

This thread is fantastic and has really helped with preparing for phase 3. I've kept it pretty simple, but need to try out some of the recipes. I'm trying for a rotation of 4 or 5 different breakfasts.

I do have one question. How close do we have to be to the suggested totals? I've read that the carbs are net carbs, so total minus fiber. I use a low carb tortilla that is 18 g carbs and 12g fiber, so it's 6g net carbs. I had 2 with scrambled eggs/Canadian bacon made into wraps + fruit and yogurt. My grain net carbs were only 12g, so way under the 30g total for grains. Is that OK or should I have put some granola in with the fruit and yogurt? Not sure I can eat more as it was lots of food.

Thanks.
canic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:43 PM   #272  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by canic View Post
This thread is fantastic and has really helped with preparing for phase 3. I've kept it pretty simple, but need to try out some of the recipes. I'm trying for a rotation of 4 or 5 different breakfasts.

I do have one question. How close do we have to be to the suggested totals? I've read that the carbs are net carbs, so total minus fiber. I use a low carb tortilla that is 18 g carbs and 12g fiber, so it's 6g net carbs. I had 2 with scrambled eggs/Canadian bacon made into wraps + fruit and yogurt. My grain net carbs were only 12g, so way under the 30g total for grains. Is that OK or should I have put some granola in with the fruit and yogurt? Not sure I can eat more as it was lots of food.

Thanks.
The only suggested total is the protein - at least 25g. Everything else is a maximum, so if you are under (even a lot under) it's fine as long as you are in the right calorie range and you aren't loading up on fats or empty calories. Your breakfast sounds very similar to one I make often, great job!
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:54 PM   #273  

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorbett1103 View Post
The only suggested total is the protein - at least 25g. Everything else is a maximum, so if you are under (even a lot under) it's fine as long as you are in the right calorie range and you aren't loading up on fats or empty calories. Your breakfast sounds very similar to one I make often, great job!
Thanks for the quick reply. I am liking these breakfasts and realize that I didn't eat enough protein in the mornings before IP, no wonder I got so hungry before lunch and snacked.

My DH has been on maintenance, but he never did phase 3 breakfasts with the ratio of fat/carb/protein, so I'm trying to change that for him too. I'm also tweaking my son's breakfasts (8 yrs old) to give him a better ratio of carbs, protein, fat to start the day.

Oh..another question - what are people doing for dairy. I've done yogurt and cottage cheese, but want a few options than just this.

Thanks again.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:01 PM   #274  
Reboot 9/2014

Quote:
Oh..another question - what are people doing for dairy. I've done yogurt and cottage cheese, but want a few options than just this.

Thanks again.
I must be the only one online right now

Dairy is pretty broad, here are some of the options I have used:

1 cup of almond milk, soy milk, coconut milk or regular milk(either out of a glass, or cooked into oatmeal)
1 serving (about 1/4 cup) shredded reduced fat cheese - feta, cheddar, mozzarella, etc - I will often use it in an omelet
1 serving part skim ricotta cheese - I will add 1tbsp of splenda and use it as a spread on toast and top with fruit
1 serving low fat cream cheese

As long as you meet the guidelines for calories (not more than 120 from dairy) and fat for your meal, any dairy product is fine! I just find I can have a larger serving of the reduced fat or fat free versions so I go for the best mileage
Old 05-30-2013, 04:34 PM   #275  

Quote:
I must be the only one online right now

Dairy is pretty broad, here are some of the options I have used:

1 cup of almond milk, soy milk, coconut milk or regular milk(either out of a glass, or cooked into oatmeal)
1 serving (about 1/4 cup) shredded reduced fat cheese - feta, cheddar, mozzarella, etc - I will often use it in an omelet
1 serving part skim ricotta cheese - I will add 1tbsp of splenda and use it as a spread on toast and top with fruit
1 serving low fat cream cheese

As long as you meet the guidelines for calories (not more than 120 from dairy) and fat for your meal, any dairy product is fine! I just find I can have a larger serving of the reduced fat or fat free versions so I go for the best mileage
Ricotta cheese on toast and fruit (I'm thinking rhubarb!) sounds divine.
I just need to mix things up a bit, so I don't get bored, but I want just enough options so I don't have to think about it too much. IP is making me think more about better food options and to keep things interesting, so I don't resort to bad choices

I found a list of different ways to eat cottage cheese, and many sound yummy http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/336491

I couldn't find the Aplen museli IP suggests, but my sister used to make her own, so I took the granola recipe that's posted here, made 1/2 as granola and 1/2 as muesli (no honey, no baking in oven, just mixed and added in sunflower seeds). I think I'll soak it tonight for bircher muesli tomorrow with fruit and canadian bacon.

Last edited by canic; 05-30-2013 at 04:41 PM.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:10 PM   #276  

So glad these awesome recipes are here!
I'm going to do some calculations over the next few days to replace gluten-containing items in some of the recipes I'm interested in.
Will have to do some comparisons.
I'll share what I find.
In the meantime, if anyone has any grain-free recipes not posted here, share away!

I just told my DH I'll be attempting to make yogurt on Thursday so we can have it over the weekend. That'll be a new one for me. I bookmarked some old threads last Fall when the topic came up.

I'll be exploring some of the non-gluten containing grains such as quinoa & buckwheat, as well as coconut flour.

Last edited by lisa32989; 06-02-2013 at 09:56 AM.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:29 AM   #277  
IP rebooting

S/C/G: 276/ticker/150

Height: 5'5

Made LizRR's peach bread pudding today, but did half peach half blueberry. Awesome! Highly recommend it any way you want! This thread is so great!
blessedamberly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:54 AM   #278  

I'm working out a recipe for huevos rancheros on corn tortillas (kitkat's recipe)
In order to have some guacamole (which was the whole reason to figure it out) I needed to do scrambled eggs (or omelet) w/ 1 whole egg + 1 egg white
Adding some blueberries in plain yogurt on the side.
Now I can't wait for next weekend!
Old 06-02-2013, 10:04 AM   #279  
IP rebooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
I'm working out a recipe for huevos rancheros on corn tortillas (kitkat's recipe)
In order to have some guacamole (which was the whole reason to figure it out) I needed to do scrambled eggs (or omelet) w/ 1 whole egg + 1 egg white
Adding some blueberries in plain yogurt on the side.
Now I can't wait for next weekend!
We must be on the same wavelength. I was going to sit and figure this out for next week! Thanks!
Old 06-02-2013, 10:27 AM   #280  

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedamberly View Post
We must be on the same wavelength. I was going to sit and figure this out for next week! Thanks!
Do you use MFP? I can share it with you there
Old 06-02-2013, 12:48 PM   #281  
IP rebooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
Do you use MFP? I can share it with you there
I do- my username is mrsamberly - I think that is what you need right?
Old 06-03-2013, 12:19 AM   #282  

Bircher Muesli

I took the granola recipe that was posted earlier in this thread (Thank you, it's delicious as granola) and changed it to muesli. I only made 1/2 the amount that's in the granola recipe. It's cheaper than buying Alpen muesli.

Muesli
3 cups oats (old-fashioned, not quick)
1/2 tbsp cinnamon
4 Tbsp ground flaxseed meal
1/3 cup slivered almonds (chopped)
1/4 Sprouted Sunflower Seeds

Mix the dry ingredients together and put in container. Should keep for 3 months

The nutritional profile I got from MFP for 1/4 cup of the mix was
Calories Carbs Fat Protein
113******13***5****4

I then used it to make bircher muesli.

1/2 cup muesli
1/2 cup skim milk
1/3 cup Chobani non-fat greek yogurt
1/2 banana

Put muesli in bowl, pour skim meal over muesli, cover and refrigerate overnight. Next morning, put yogurt and sliced bananas on muesli.

The nutritional profile is:

Calories/Carbs/Fat/Protein
Muesli 1/2 cup 227/27/10/ 8
Milk - Nonfat 0.5 cup 43/6/0/4
0.5 cup Chobani 0% Greek Yogurt 67/5 /0/12
0.5 banana 75/20/1/1
Total 412/58/11/25

I also had 2 slices of canadian bacon for a little more protein and fat.

It's a quick and easy breakfast when you're in a hurry.

I did have a question about the total carbs. I know it's no more than 30 from grains, no more than 20 from fruit. On the Phase 3 worksheet it says no more than 50 total carbs. In my bircher muesli recipe, there's some carbs in the milk and yogurt and that pushed total carbs to 58g...so that would be too many carbs? I would need to use less of the muesli/banana or the diary, to get it under 50g of carbs???

Last edited by canic; 06-03-2013 at 12:31 AM.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:26 AM   #283  

The newest p3 explanation sheet says no more than 15 g from dairy but it has to be found in a separate section (p 4, toward the bottom). This sheet does not say 50 g carbs max.

If you use the worksheet, the 15g for dairy is already reflected there

Last edited by lisa32989; 06-03-2013 at 07:05 AM.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:49 AM   #284  
Reboot 9/2014

Quote:
Bircher Muesli

I took the granola recipe that was posted earlier in this thread (Thank you, it's delicious as granola) and changed it to muesli. I only made 1/2 the amount that's in the granola recipe. It's cheaper than buying Alpen muesli.

Muesli
3 cups oats (old-fashioned, not quick)
1/2 tbsp cinnamon
4 Tbsp ground flaxseed meal
1/3 cup slivered almonds (chopped)
1/4 Sprouted Sunflower Seeds

Mix the dry ingredients together and put in container. Should keep for 3 months

The nutritional profile I got from MFP for 1/4 cup of the mix was
Calories Carbs Fat Protein
113******13***5****4

I then used it to make bircher muesli.

1/2 cup muesli
1/2 cup skim milk
1/3 cup Chobani non-fat greek yogurt
1/2 banana

Put muesli in bowl, pour skim meal over muesli, cover and refrigerate overnight. Next morning, put yogurt and sliced bananas on muesli.

The nutritional profile is:

Calories/Carbs/Fat/Protein
Muesli 1/2 cup 227/27/10/ 8
Milk - Nonfat 0.5 cup 43/6/0/4
0.5 cup Chobani 0% Greek Yogurt 67/5 /0/12
0.5 banana 75/20/1/1
Total 412/58/11/25

I also had 2 slices of canadian bacon for a little more protein and fat.

It's a quick and easy breakfast when you're in a hurry.

I did have a question about the total carbs. I know it's no more than 30 from grains, no more than 20 from fruit. On the Phase 3 worksheet it says no more than 50 total carbs. In my bircher muesli recipe, there's some carbs in the milk and yogurt and that pushed total carbs to 58g...so that would be too many carbs? I would need to use less of the muesli/banana or the diary, to get it under 50g of carbs???
I always looked at NET carbs, not total carbs. The fiber from the fruit and grain will usually offset anything in the dairy.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:50 PM   #285  

Quote:
I always looked at NET carbs, not total carbs. The fiber from the fruit and grain will usually offset anything in the dairy.
Good. I really liked that breakfast and want to keep it in my rotation. I'm using myfitnesspal to work out nutritional value and I don't think all the measurements include net carbs.

Last edited by canic; 06-03-2013 at 12:59 PM.